Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Closed Thread   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Thread Tools
Old 10-15-2008, 10:06 AM
Master Fan

Everwood Melting Pot (OT3) #3: Cultural Exchange and International Talk

Everwood Melting Pot (OT3)#2: Cultural Exchange and International Talk

“What sets worlds in motion is the interplay of differences, their attractions and repulsions.
Life is plurality, death is uniformity.
By suppressing differences and pecularities, by eliminating different civilizations and cultures, progress weakens life and favors death.
The ideal of a single civilization for everyone, implicit in the cult of progress and technique, impoverishes and mutilates us.
Every view of the world that becomes extinct, every culture that disappears, diminishes a possibility of life”

- Octavio Paz -

What this thread is about :
If there's one thing Everwood accomplished, it was to bring people together and enjoy a show which spoke to each and every individual because it was a story about family, love and simply about life.

On this particular board, it allowed people from all around the world to bond over a show and share the love for it. We entered endless discussions about the show and what it was trying to say and, as a result, created our own little community. Whether we're close friends or just Everwood pals doesn't matter. We're still a community of people who are linked by our love for this show and, as a result, by our will to exchange and discuss life.

We're coming from all around the globe and that's our wealth.

This thread is intended to be a place to exchange ideas about all our countries : Culture, Education, Habits, Food, Politics and the list goes on.
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Thread Recommendations:
We believe that this board is mature enough to handle a thread like this and we'd like you all to remain cordial and respect everyone's opinion.
It's common knowledge that some sensitive subjects such as politics or religion can turn into war and we don't want that. Discuss, Question a point, Give your opinion but the most importantly : Respect everyone.

Finally, as much as it is possible, please indicate the main topic of your post in bold at the beginning of the post so it's easier to follow for any poster who comes here to read. This has proven to be very useful in OT2 with the multi topic talks going on there and we think it'll be very useful here as well.

With that, we hope this thread will be a great place to share our cultural and country differences and we hope you'll have fun over here.
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

List of Members of this thread by countries :
if you'd like to be added, please indicate on the thread
USA : Michelle (Wilpen), Angela (AngelaiDanes), Ashley (AppleBehry23),
Jerry D, Alan (The Crow), Gaby (BepperGirl), Erin (EverPotter), ShadowMagist, Betty (everwoodfan52)

Canada : Angela (AngelaiDanes), 'Tos, dawnie@

France : Alexandra (buffyannAlex)

Tahiti : Summer (Watch This Smile)

Swiss : Xbel

Poland : Nika (lafcia)

Australia : Coffee

Germany : LoVe-Story, Abomasum
“[People] talk to me about these characters as if they’re real, and they’re not real, but they’ve become real...I really think, shows like this one, you have an attachment to them. They’re like friends you check in on."
-Greg Berlanti on Everwood
Old 10-20-2008, 08:49 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Test yourself to see how much you know about current US Election news:

BBC NEWS | Americas | US Election Quiz - 20 October >
Old 10-23-2008, 09:26 AM
Fan Forum Hero

I thought that this was kind of interesting.

Quote:
The life of a vice-presidential candidate may be gruelling, but it can also be glamorous - $150,000 glamorous.

The Republican National Committee has reportedly spent about that amount (roughly £92,000) on Alaska Governor Sarah Palin's wardrobe since she was chosen as John McCain's running mate less than two months ago.

Quote:
THE BILL
$75,062 spent at Neiman Marcus in Minneapolis
$41,850 spent in St Louis
$4,100 on make-up and hair consulting
$4,902 at Atelier, a men's clothing shop in New York
$92 on a romper suit and hat with ears
Old 10-23-2008, 08:40 PM
Master Fan

Didn't you hear, Betty? "She needed clothes". Well, that settles it. Thanks John.

Obama's no saint either. The amount of money he's spending on a campaign a time of a recession is insane. I know that he's raised it, and I think legitimately, and I know he's fighting for the presidency, but sometimes maybe there's a benefit to the one month Canadian campaign instead of the year and a half or so campaign down there. The money that his campaign alone has spent could be have been used to help so many people hit hard by this crisis.
“[People] talk to me about these characters as if they’re real, and they’re not real, but they’ve become real...I really think, shows like this one, you have an attachment to them. They’re like friends you check in on."
Old 10-23-2008, 08:49 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by 'Tos (View Post)
Didn't you hear, Betty? "She needed clothes". Well, that settles it. Thanks John.

Obama's no saint either. The amount of money he's spending on a campaign a time of a recession is insane. I know that he's raised it, and I think legitimately, and I know he's fighting for the presidency, but sometimes maybe there's a benefit to the one month Canadian campaign instead of the year and a half or so campaign down there. The money that his campaign alone has spent could be have been used to help so many people hit hard by this crisis.
Oh, I totally agree. All the HOOPLA that a campaign and election have in this country are ridiculous and so unnecessary. I would love it to be like Canada.
I believe that England also has a quick type of Election.....it that correct?
Old 10-23-2008, 08:55 PM
Master Fan

I am glad to see people excited about politics down there, though, I will say. This past Canadian election we only got 59% turnout. That's absolutely pathetic. I guess there's pros and cons to both systems.

I'm not sure about the English system, but we did model ourselves after there's in most ways, so I'm sure that's the case too.
Old 10-24-2008, 06:40 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Here is some interesting information about who is backing which candidate.

Quote:
BARACK OBAMA

Celebrities
Oprah Winfrey, talk show host
George Clooney, actor
Scarlett Johannson, actress
Robert De Niro, actor
Tom Hanks, actor
Halle Berry, actress
Bruce Springsteen, musician
Warren Buffet, business leader
Eric Schmidt, CEO Google
Notable politicians
Gen Colin Powell

Newspapers
Washington Post
Boston Globe
Chicago Tribune
Chicago Sun-Times
Los Angeles Times
Miami Herald

"We need a president who can bring us all together. I know [Barack Obama] is the one."
Oprah Winfrey

"He's a pretty smart guy. I'm sure he could learn how to [run Google]."
Google CEO Eric Schmidt

"Few people in my lifetime, that I've heard speak made me want to get up and do something - I don't want to hurt him by saying that!"
George Clooney

JOHN MCCAIN

Celebrities
Sylvester Stallone, actor
Clint Eastwood, actor
Robert Duvall, actor
Joe Gibbs, football coach
Gary Sinise, actor
John Rich, singer
Heidi Montag, reality TV star

Notable politicians
Senator Joe Lieberman

Newspapers
New York Post
Boston Herald
Dallas Morning News
New Hampshire Union Leader

"We're all just a-raisin' McCain."
John Rich

"I like McCain a lot. A lot."
Sylvester Stallone

"Let's put the United States first again, and John McCain is the man as president who will help us do that."
Joe Lieberman
Old 10-27-2008, 04:10 PM
Fan Forum Hero

There was a plot that was foiled today to assassinate Obama and possibly attack a school in Tennessee. I'm not sure if it was real...but it is something that I have been thinking about as a possibility and it is a cause for concern.
Not everyone out there is educated and reasonable (like us and most other Americans). These white supremesists (skinheads) scare the heck out of me. They are a really strange group and I wouldn't doubt that they will be upset about the election of the first Black US President. I wouldn't put it past one of them to attempt to assassinate him.

Does anyone also have this concern? What are your thoughts?

Last edited by everwoodfan52; 10-27-2008 at 09:04 PM
Old 10-29-2008, 03:47 AM
Loyal Fan

I can't say I was very surprised when I heard these news. There are always gonna be extremists around.

Luckily, I can't imagine any of them having the resources to pose a real threat.
Old 10-29-2008, 09:43 AM
Master Fan

Quote:
Luckily, I can't imagine any of them having the resources to pose a real threat.
Plus their plan was incredibly stupid. "So, we're, uh, going to drive at Obama really fast and shoot him after going on a mass killing spree without ever being caught". I mean, it's absolutely sick that they thought of any of this at all, but it was never going to happen. Luckily they got caught before they got started.

I'm sure other extremists are thinking the same things, which is just as sick, and I guess I'm a little concerned about it, but I think every president has to deal with thigns like this to an extent, and Obama will to a much greater extent if he gets elected, and unfortunately all we can do is hope they get caught or just never do it.
Old 10-30-2008, 05:54 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Here's another video that definitely shows McCain's age.

YouTube - McCain Agrees with Murtha in Moon, PA
Old 10-30-2008, 09:35 PM
Master Fan

Hee. That's my favourite gaffe of the whole campaign.

Only a few more days until this all ends, which I'm sure is a relief as much as it is exciting. I was talking with one of my classmates today about it, and she was joking that if Obama doesn't win, everyone will be wearing black on Wednesday, hee. I mean, a Canadian university, it's basically a hub of Obama fans. Just like the European countries, we love us some Obama.
Old 10-31-2008, 08:53 AM
Fan Forum Legend

Moderator of ...
Everwood

*sneaks in*

Ok so who thinks Sarah Palin sucks?

That's my first thought... the woman is nice to look at, I'll give her that, not that this matters, LOL, and it's cool she was a basketball player (even played my position in BB) BUT she is NOT qualified to be vice president, let alone president, and some of the things she has done and said have been very weird and ridiculous to say the least. LOL.

McCain was smoking something strong whenever he decided to pick her.

The Saturday Night Live stuff has been so full of awesome, man.

I have so much to say but I thought I'd start with Palin...

I'll add one or two more things...

A republican has never become president without taking the state of Ohio. Never in history so honest to God, all you have to do is watch where my native state falls, and if it goes to Obama, done deal, baby. McCain doesn't have a shot in hell without Ohio and everyone knows it. Ohio is with Obama right now by 4-5 points.

Thing is, Obama can win without Ohio, hello, he's in the lead of many typical red states which rocks the house. But McCain absolutely cannot win without Ohio. McCain's also spending time in Pennsylvania inexplicably and he doesn't have a chance of winning my second native state either. LOL. I say that since I have a boatload of relatives from there, too. Obama has strong command in Pennsylvania.

Also... I have fallen really hard for Obama. I mean, I'm liberal, not a shock right? LOL. But I loved Hillary as everyone knows so I had to get there with Obama. I have. The guy's awesome and once he revealed all of his plans and I truly got to know him? It was all tremendous at that point.

Watching Bill Clinton and Obama in Florida the other night was mint. Oh so awesome.

Does anyone know what McCain's plans actually are? The ones that he does reveal suck a bunch of ass.

I'm done for now. Heh.

Last edited by jediwands; 10-31-2008 at 09:00 AM
Old 10-31-2008, 09:02 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Quote:
Does anyone know what McCain's plans actually are? The ones that he does reveal suck a bunch of ass.

Hi, Michelle.

Here is some information on what John McCain stands for......for information sake.

Quote:
John McCain candidate platform

Thursday, December 27, 2007 | Home - BostonHerald.com |
John McCain candidate platform

High priorities: War in Iraq, immigration reform, pro-life/adoption

Abortion: Pro-life.

Capital Punishment: Supports capital punishment for federal crimes.

Education: McCain believes state and local agencies, not the federal government, should be responsible for developing and enforcing academic standards. Supports teacher testing and merit pay for the best teachers. Supports charter schools and federally-financed school vouchers for students in failing schools; believes “choice and competition” are the future of education. Believes No Child Left Behind is a “good beginning” but needs to be fixed.

Energy/Environmental Issues: McCain has pledged to end U.S. reliance on foreign oil and says America must modernize the way it generates and employs energy. As president, would support “declaration of independence” from foreign oil suppliers and rely on technological innovations to achieve that goal. Supports expansion of safe nuclear power to address energy needs, while providing for safe storage of spent nuclear fuel. Supports development of flexible-fuel vehicles, along with alcohol fuels made from sugar, corn, switch grass and other resources. Plans to limit carbon and greenhouse gas emissions by harnessing market forces that will bring advanced technologies such as nuclear energy to the market faster, and implement a cap-and-trade system for utility or industrial plants that reduce emissions. Believes climate change is a “global problem that requires a global solution.”

Experience: Senator, navy pilot, beer distributor

Gay Marriage: Opposes gay marriage. Supports civil unions.

Health Care: McCain’s focus is on lowering health care costs to bring down the cost of insurance. His plan for affordable health care includes: allowing families to be in charge of their health care dollars, promoting competition between health care companies, promoting illness prevention, providing health care access to all citizens, giving veterans the option to chose their own provider, promoting alternative treatments, making treatment options and medical cost information public, reforming payment systems, supporting innovative delivery systems (clinics in retail outlets), fostering development of cheaper and generic versions of drugs, reforming insurance practices to increase variety and affordability, making it easy for families to purchase health insurance nationwide and across state lines, making health coverage portable from job to job, teaching children about health and exercise, and introducing public initiatives to stop the epidemic of obesity, diabetes and to deter smoking.

Immigration: McCain was the co-sponsor of a bipartisan immigration reform bill that called for stronger border enforcement but provided a pathway to legal citizenship for illegal immigrants already living in the U.S., provided they learn English, pay a fine and have clean criminal records. Supports stronger screening of cargo at ports as part of border enforcement. Supports working with leaders in Mexico and Latin America to strengthen democracy and economic opportunities for their citizens.

The war in Iraq: McCain voted in favor of the resolution authorizing the use of force in Iraq. He disagreed with the Bush administration’s management of the war and called for former Secretary of Defense Donald Rumsfeld’s ouster, arguing that the U.S. had not committed a sufficient number of troops to the conflict. Supported the surge of additional troops to clear and hold insurgent strongholds, provide security for rebuilding local institutions and economies, halt sectarian violence in Baghdad and disarm militias, dismantle al Qaeda, train the Iraqi Army; and to embed American personnel in Iraqi police units. McCain’s strategy also includes strengthening the Iraqi armed forces and police, and accelerating political and economic reconstruction. He opposes adoption of a timetable for withdrawal.

“The war in Iraq is at a crossroads and the future of the entire region is at stake - a region that produced the terrorists who attacked America on 9/11 and where much of the world’s energy supplies are located. Success is essential to creating peace in the region, and failure would expose the United States to national security threats for generations” Calls the situation “difficult for now, but not without hope.”

Social Security: McCain calls for bipartisan reform of America’s entitlement programs, including Social Security. Says he is “unalterably opposed” to raising taxes to finance Social Security but says everything must be on the table. Supports plan to subsidize current system with personal accounts.

Stem Cell Research: McCain supports federally-funded stem cell research on existing lines of stem cells. Opposes creation of human embryos for purposes of research.

Taxes and Budget issues: McCain supports the repeal of the Alternative Minimum Tax. Supports making the Bush administration’s income and investment tax cuts permanent. Promises to increase transparency in government spending and take aim at “wasteful” “pork barrel” spending. Has called for requirement of a 3/5 vote of Congress to raise taxes. Supports ban on Internet and cell phone taxes.

JohnMcCain.com - McCain-Palin 2008

Quote:
Ok so who thinks Sarah Palin sucks?

That's my first thought... the woman is nice to look at, I'll give her that, not that this matters, LOL, and it's cool she was a basketball player (even played my position in BB) BUT she is NOT qualified to be vice president, let alone president, and some of the things she has done and said have been very weird and ridiculous to say the least. LOL.
To be frank, when I first heard her speak (at the Republican Convention) I was impressed. I thought that she was intelligent, was definitely attractive and personable, and I thought that she sounded really gutsy.
Since then, after I heard her speak some more...I think that she's an idiot.

Last edited by everwoodfan52; 10-31-2008 at 09:09 AM
Old 10-31-2008, 09:56 AM
Master Fan

Hey Michelle!

Quote:
She's also a hockey fan. Yes, she's not qualified at all, and I had read recently that she's actually been dragging down McCain because of it. She's not ready. I think she's a very nice lady, and she seems to actually be a good politician, but it's four years (at least) too soon. I know some say it's too early for Obama too, but c'mon, listen to the man, he at least knows what he's talking about, he's got his own ideas, he is ready.

Quote:
Also... I have fallen really hard for Obama. I mean, I'm liberal, not a shock right? LOL. But I loved Hillary as everyone knows so I had to get there with Obama. I have. The guy's awesome and once he revealed all of his plans and I truly got to know him? It was all tremendous at that point.
Awesome! And I agree, me, Mr. Obama-Fanatic likes him more too. I think after the primaries where he was admittedly a bit vague, he's really figured out how to get a clear plan and a clear message out. Like on the economy, he's got some great points set out. Who knows if they will actually fix the problem clearly, it's going to take a lot of work for that, but it's definitely a different plan and we need that.

I see the polls tightening a little, especially nationally. And I expect it won't be the big blowout some pundits expect it to be, I still think the country is too polarized. BUT, yes, as you mentioned Michelle, look at the state polls. Pennsylvania, he's up by a huge margin. Other states, even with a national poll tightening, state polls aren't as much.

Quote:
I'm done for now. Heh.
My two favourite words in the English language. Hehe. So glad to have your analysis back!
Closed Thread   Post New Thread