Closed Thread   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Thread Tools
Old 02-22-2018, 01:03 AM
Fan Forum Legend

Moderator of ...
Everwood

Everwood Melting Pot (OT3) #26: Cultural Exchange

Everwood Melting Pot

This thread is for discussing different cultures and customs around the world.
Current events are welcome.
Politics related discussions are allowed.

As moderators we enjoy the atmosphere and environment and we would like to keep it like that. We know that sometimes in the heat of the moment we can cross the line so we would kindly ask you to follow the rules below:

1. Discuss opinions and ideas. Do not bash people (both posters or celebrities)
2. Respect the opinion of fellow posters even if you disagree
3. Attack ideas. Do not attack people
4. Accept that someone having different opinion does not mean that they hate you or dislike. They just disagree with you.
5. If you feel that someone shows any disrespect towards anyone please do not engage in arguments. Contact us and we will handle it

Most important of all...we need to be open-minded and show respect for our fellow posters.

We (Michelle, Betty and I) thank you for reading and complying to those rules and hope that you will have fun posting here!
Old 02-22-2018, 01:10 AM
Fan Forum Legend

Moderator of ...
Everwood

Last page of posts from previous thread
Old 02-22-2018, 02:18 AM
Fan Forum Legend

Thanks for the new thread.
Old 02-22-2018, 05:33 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Thanks, Michelle!!
Old 02-22-2018, 07:26 AM
Elite Fan

Quote:
Regardless of the variance we should always put our children’s safety first and the debate over guns is putting it last.
By that logic, since we didn't ban guns altogether the first time this happened, we all hate our children. There was an incident a few days ago where someone stabbed a student at a school. Since we haven't acted on knife safety, we must not be putting our children first. Timothy McVeigh killed a bunch of people with a truck full of fertilizer, but I can still just buy it willy nilly at Wal-Mart, so I guess I'm not putting children's safety first either.

The man who perpetrated the last shooting had been planning it for a while. He knew how the school would react and how to counter it. He purchased the gun legally a year ago. All the proposed gun laws wouldn't have stopped him from getting a legal gun, and honestly, if he had the wherewithal to plan to that level, if he hadn't had a legal gun available to him, he'd have obtained one illegally. We should be more worried that someone that is obviously mentally disturbed was able to pass the background check. We should worry that the FBI didn't investigate any better after receiving a tip about him. We should be worried that the police were called to his house dozens of times for shooting related crimes without him being charged with anything...but mostly, we should be worried about the fundamental change in society that has led to not only this person, but multiple others in the past few years to think it's a good idea to take a weapon to school and murder innocent people. Yes, a gun makes it easier to kill people from a distance, and I don't disagree that making it more difficult to obtain a gun won't hurt anything, but I don't really think that tougher gun laws will end school shootings or the escalating violence in society. Not like gun-control advocates like to imply.

Last edited by The Crow; 02-22-2018 at 07:37 AM
Old 02-22-2018, 09:17 AM
Administrator

Alan, I completely agree with your second paragraph. I also don't really think that tougher gun laws will end school shootings or the escalating violence in society.

There are those who look at things the way they are and ask why - I dream of things that never were and ask why not. - Robert F. Kennedy
Old 02-22-2018, 09:44 AM
Master Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry D (View Post)
Alan, I completely agree with your second paragraph. I also don't really think that tougher gun laws will end school shootings or the escalating violence in society.
Agree on this. Yes people should not have easy access to weapons that kill people, but we should also ask ourselves why those people want to buy weapons to kill people. What's going on here?
Old 02-22-2018, 11:04 AM
Administrator

Sadly, this is what happens whenever there's a mass shooting:

Spoiler:

I don’t know what the solution is. I’ve seen arguments on both sides of the gun debate, but I’m so horrified and heartbroken when so many innocent lives are lost. I saw a video last night where the father of one of the victims of this latest shooting said that he’ll never see his daughter again. It broke my heart.

There are those who look at things the way they are and ask why - I dream of things that never were and ask why not. - Robert F. Kennedy
Old 02-22-2018, 11:09 AM
Fan Forum Legend

Moderator of ...
Everwood

So sad.

My nieces went to high school today not knowing what was going on. Last night a rumor was floating around that a sophomore kid was going to blow up their school. My sister didn't know what to do. It was anxious moments. However, thankfully the police got involved issuing a long statement this morning stating that everything was secure and apparently it was just that... rumor and not valid. I appreciate the police jumping on the situation with a statement of reassurance.

If this is now happening in Midwest USA (and the high school my nieces go to!) then we have a major problem. It's everywhere.

Last edited by jediwands; 02-22-2018 at 11:21 AM
Old 02-22-2018, 11:48 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Apt (View Post)
So sad.

My nieces went to high school today not knowing what was going on. Last night a rumor was floating around that a sophomore kid was going to blow up their school. My sister didn't know what to do. It was anxious moments. However, thankfully the police got involved issuing a long statement this morning stating that everything was secure and apparently it was just that... rumor and not valid. I appreciate the police jumping on the situation with a statement of reassurance.

If this is now happening in Midwest USA (and the high school my nieces go to!) then we have a major problem. It's everywhere.
I'm so glad that it was just a rumor Michelle.

This problem really is everywhere.

Old 02-22-2018, 11:49 AM
Master Fan

Quote:
So sad.

Glad that everything was OK! I just wonder who would spread rumor like that ?
Old 02-22-2018, 12:07 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Quote:
So sad.

It's unfortunately going to happen all over. No one is safe.

Quote:
I saw a video last night where the father of one of the victims of this latest shooting said that he’ll never see his daughter again. It broke my heart.
How can anyone not be moved by that? I honestly believe for all his faults Trump was moved. He is just so afraid, however, of antagonizing the NRA and the same for Marco Rubio.

Quote:
Yes, a gun makes it easier to kill people from a distance, and I don't disagree that making it more difficult to obtain a gun won't hurt anything
The only thing it would hurt would be the NRA who would no longer be getting kick backs every time an Assault rifle is purchased. They have enough fricking money!
Seriously...even if it doesn't help..it's worth a try if it just prevents one nut from getting his/her hands on one.

One student eloquently stated that she realized that a mentally iillness caused a person to shoot her friends, but it was not his mental illness that actually did the killing..it was the AF that killed them.
Let's not make it any easier for people acquire these assault weapons. That doesn't take away from our 2nd amendment rights.

Last edited by everwoodfan52; 02-22-2018 at 12:18 PM
Old 02-22-2018, 12:36 PM
Fan Forum Legend

Moderator of ...
Everwood

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry D (View Post)
I'm so glad that it was just a rumor Michelle.

This problem really is everywhere.
It really is.
Old 02-22-2018, 12:38 PM
Fan Forum Legend

Moderator of ...
Everwood

Quote:
Originally Posted by secretk (View Post)
Glad that everything was OK! I just wonder who would spread rumor like that ?
Apparently the rumor started on social media. As of about an hour ago, Anna wasn’t sure if the boy was in school or not. I assume he was questioned or maybe even taken away. So it’s possible it was legit but social media then calls to the police stopped it even last night when police acted on it. Now the police want to tone it down as nothing since they prevented it. We’ll know more later. So who knows if it was just a rumor or not at this point even if the police are calling it that.

I’ve driven by the high school twice today (can’t help it) and I didn’t see police cars there.
Old 02-22-2018, 12:44 PM
Fan Forum Legend

Moderator of ...
Everwood

Here is the shortened version the police posted on FB... going to keep out city and stuff:

Quote:
The .... High School and the .... Police Department received information late on Wednesday afternoon advising of a school threat. .... High School administration and the Police Department investigated the matter and determined there was no credible threat to the public’s safety.
As always, if you have information of a threat to public safety please contact the police department immediately.
Closed Thread   Post New Thread