Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Closed Thread   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Thread Tools
Old 10-02-2017, 07:12 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Apt (View Post)
My dad just told me he has a friend from Cleveland who was in Vegas all last week/this weekend with his wife and some other family. They attended the concert but left 30 minutes before the shooting. They were staying at the Luxor and sat by the window witnessing the horrible scene. All phone service was down so they couldn't communicate with family to say they were okay. All airports closed so he wasn't sure when they'd be able to leave.
Oh man, that's awful. Thank God they were okay.

There are those who look at things the way they are and ask why - I dream of things that never were and ask why not. - Robert F. Kennedy
Old 10-02-2017, 10:18 PM
Master Fan

Quote:
My dad just told me he has a friend from Cleveland who was in Vegas all last week/this weekend with his wife and some other family. They attended the concert but left 30 minutes before the shooting. They were staying at the Luxor and sat by the window witnessing the horrible scene. All phone service was down so they couldn't communicate with family to say they were okay. All airports closed so he wasn't sure when they'd be able to leave.
Wow!!! Glad that they left early and are alive now. Sucks that they had to witness it though .
Old 10-03-2017, 12:05 AM
Fan Forum Legend

As an Australian, I don't honestly get the obsession that the Yanks have with firearms.
Old 10-03-2017, 12:08 AM
Fan Forum Legend

Quote:
That's very lucky indeed.
Old 10-03-2017, 01:20 AM
Master Fan

Thanks for the new thread Michelle!

I agree that gun control is needed . Not that people would not find a way to get a one, but it would be more work for them and maybe some people would get discouraged by this. We can't stop this completely, but we could definitely minimize it by having control.
Old 10-03-2017, 02:48 AM
Fan Forum Legend

Moderator of ...
Everwood

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry D (View Post)
Oh man, that's awful. Thank God they were okay.
It really is. At first they thought it was fireworks.
Old 10-03-2017, 02:48 AM
Fan Forum Legend

Moderator of ...
Everwood

Quote:
Originally Posted by secretk (View Post)
Wow!!! Glad that they left early and are alive now. Sucks that they had to witness it though .
I know! Horrible. Then not being able to get in touch with the rest of the family to say they were okay for over 12 hours too.
Old 10-03-2017, 02:52 AM
Fan Forum Legend

Moderator of ...
Everwood

Quote:
Originally Posted by stlavin95 (View Post)
As an Australian, I don't honestly get the obsession that the Yanks have with firearms.
I know. Trust me, it's not everyone. I am so revolted. It's really a culture within a culture here. There's many that are just like the two of us... wondering what the obsession is. When I hear about so many from the South loving their guns I am shocked. I cannot relate. You can sort of divide the country when it comes to this issue in certain areas because it's so different depending on what part of the country you are from.
Old 10-03-2017, 02:57 AM
Fan Forum Legend

Moderator of ...
Everwood

Quote:
Originally Posted by secretk (View Post)
Thanks for the new thread Michelle!

I agree that gun control is needed . Not that people would not find a way to get a one, but it would be more work for them and maybe some people would get discouraged by this. We can't stop this completely, but we could definitely minimize it by having control.
You're welcome! I agree completely, Koni.

Las Vegas investigation finds more weapons, but shooter's motive unknown

I cannot believe the amount of weapons/explosives he had.
Old 10-03-2017, 06:48 AM
Administrator

Quote:
I know. Trust me, it's not everyone. I am so revolted. It's really a culture within a culture here. There's many that are just like the two of us... wondering what the obsession is. When I hear about so many from the South loving their guns I am shocked. I cannot relate. You can sort of divide the country when it comes to this issue in certain areas because it's so different depending on what part of the country you are from.
Some parts of this country have never gotten over the Wild West mentality. I see that a lot here in Texas, where they recently changed the law to allow open carry of a firearm. You need a permit for it, but it's pretty easy to get.

There are those who look at things the way they are and ask why - I dream of things that never were and ask why not. - Robert F. Kennedy
Old 10-03-2017, 06:52 AM
Administrator

I wanted to bring this post over from the last thread, where I answered the question where I thought that Lance Ito, the judge in the O.J. Simpson Criminal Trail, was incompetent:

Quote:
Originally Posted by stlavin95 (View Post)
In what way was he incompetent?
For one, he allowed cameras into the courtroom which turned everything into a circus, and he allowed Simpson’s defense to intimidate him into making decisions that benefitted them. He also allowed the defense to discredit the police officer on the scene, Mark Furman, by unearthing old tapes where he had used racial epithets to make it look like Furman was trying to frame O.J. due to his race. Ito also faced criticism for seeming to enjoy the press and for allowing too many sidebars, recesses, etc. Overall, the O.J. Simpson Criminal Trial was a travesty of a trial that allowed a murderer to walk free.

Old 10-03-2017, 01:47 PM
Fan Forum Legend

Moderator of ...
Everwood

Quote:
Some parts of this country have never gotten over the Wild West mentality. I see that a lot here in Texas, where they recently changed the law to allow open carry of a firearm. You need a permit for it, but it's pretty easy to get.
I think you're absolutely right about that mentality.

I just don't even have the words about that changed law. I don't get it. I just don't get it.
Old 10-03-2017, 01:51 PM
Fan Forum Legend

Moderator of ...
Everwood

Quote:
I wanted to bring this post over from the last thread, where I answered the question where I thought that Lance Ito, the judge in the O.J. Simpson Criminal Trail, was incompetent:

For one, he allowed cameras into the courtroom which turned everything into a circus, and he allowed Simpson’s defense to intimidate him into making decisions that benefitted them. He also allowed the defense to discredit the police officer on the scene, Mark Furman, by unearthing old tapes where he had used racial epithets to make it look like Furman was trying to frame O.J. due to his race. Ito also faced criticism for seeming to enjoy the press and for allowing too many sidebars, recesses, etc. Overall, the O.J. Simpson Criminal Trial was a travesty of a trial that allowed a murderer to walk free.
Ito should have known that to simultaneously sequester a jury and open the courtroom to television coverage were conflicting decisions. The minute he allowed those tapes the case was destroyed. You could feel it. The prosecutors, I truly believed, knew it too. It was written all over their faces.
Old 10-03-2017, 03:49 PM
Fan Forum Legend

Moderator of ...
Everwood

Trump on gun control: We’ll talk about it. Later.

Later means never.
Old 10-03-2017, 05:40 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Exactly.

Closed Thread   Post New Thread