Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Reply   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Thread Tools
Old 10-18-2015, 10:38 PM
Master Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Apt (View Post)
Koni, does olive oil bother you, too? I know you have issues digesting fats but wondering about olive oil since it's such a great fat.

It typically never bothers me unless I soak the food in it... like if I put too much of it in a salad I will get bad nausea. Otherwise, olive oil never bothers me.

Butter, that's a different story. Butter doesn't like me and I don't like it, lol.
Well if I had only acid reflux I wouldn't have problems with fats. Unfortunately I have bile reflux + acid reflux. The acid part is moderated via diet. The bile part is moderated by luck .

Basically the more fats I eat, the more bile my body will produce. The more bile my body produces, the more bile I will have in my stomach. The more bile I have in my stomach, the more the environment in my stomach is changed. As a result I will get nausea, my stomach will feel full and I won't be able to eat.

So yes in a nutshell fats do bother me. I tolerate easier natural fats - say fats coming from nuts. It's harder for me to tolerate animal fats. Oilve oil while not animal fat, it also bothers me. Especially if it's cooked. My body has problems with trans fats no matter the source.

So I put olive oil in salad, but I try to not cook with fats because then I don't take them so well.
Old 10-20-2015, 08:21 AM
Fan Forum Legend

Moderator of ...
Everwood

Quote:
Originally Posted by secretk (View Post)
Well if I had only acid reflux I wouldn't have problems with fats. Unfortunately I have bile reflux + acid reflux. The acid part is moderated via diet. The bile part is moderated by luck .

Basically the more fats I eat, the more bile my body will produce. The more bile my body produces, the more bile I will have in my stomach. The more bile I have in my stomach, the more the environment in my stomach is changed. As a result I will get nausea, my stomach will feel full and I won't be able to eat.

So yes in a nutshell fats do bother me. I tolerate easier natural fats - say fats coming from nuts. It's harder for me to tolerate animal fats. Oilve oil while not animal fat, it also bothers me. Especially if it's cooked. My body has problems with trans fats no matter the source.

So I put olive oil in salad, but I try to not cook with fats because then I don't take them so well.
Makes sense.

This morning I made myself an omelet and realized I was out of fat-free natural olive oil spray I use at the bottom of the pan. So I used a little butter instead. Big mistake. I immediately felt like my stomach was drenched in fat/butter. I popped a ginger supplement and instantly feel better but it was the butter I wasn't agreeing with.
jediwands is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2015, 10:16 AM
Fan Forum Hero

I just saw this recipe and have to say how good these cookies look!

Kolacky-Polish Christmas Cookies.
Yield: about 2-1/2 dozen cookies
Ingredients:
1/2 cup (1 stick = 4 ounces) butter, softened
4 ounces cream cheese, softened
1 cup all-purpose flour
fruit preserves (raspberry, pineapple cherry)
Directions:
Beat butter and cream cheese in large bowl with electric mixer at medium speed until smooth and fluffy. Gradually add flour; beat at low speed until mixture forms soft dough. Divide dough ball in half; wrap each half in plastic wrap. Refrigerate 1 hour or until firm.
Preheat oven to 375*F. Roll out dough, half at a time, on floured surface to 1/8-inch thickness. Cut into 2-1/2 inch squares. Spoon 1 tsp. preserves into center of each square. Bring up two opposite corners to center; pinch together tightly to seal. Fold sealed tip to one side; pinch to seal. Place 1-inch apart on ungreased cookie sheets. Bake 10 to 13 minutes or until lightly browned. Remove to wire racks; cool completely.
everwoodfan52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2015, 10:28 AM
Fan Forum Legend

Moderator of ...
Everwood

Oh yes, my dad's side (Polish) make those (every holiday, especially Christmas) with a recipe that has been passed down for the past 150 years. They are mouth-watering, utterly delicious. Those above look amateur compared to what my family makes though, I've got to say. LOL
Old 10-27-2015, 10:34 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Quote:
Oh yes, my dad's side (Polish) make those (every holiday, especially Christmas) with a recipe that has been passed down for the past 150 years. They are mouth-watering, utterly delicious. Those above look amateur compared to what my family makes though, I've got to say. LOL
I like that amateur homemade look. Mine would probably look even worse. Recipe sounds easy.
Old 10-27-2015, 10:36 AM
Fan Forum Legend

Moderator of ...
Everwood

It looks a bit too doughy for what my family creates. And our recipe is slightly different than the one above which could probably be why there's a difference in appearance.
Old 10-27-2015, 10:39 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Quote:
It looks a bit too doughy for what my family creates. And our recipe is slightly different than the one above which could probably be why there's a difference in appearance.
I'm sure your recipe is alot better and more authentic. Love to see it.
Old 10-27-2015, 10:44 AM
Fan Forum Legend

Moderator of ...
Everwood

Quote:
Originally Posted by everwoodfan52 (View Post)
I'm sure your recipe is alot better and more authentic. Love to see it.
I will grab it for you. It's packed away in a box but I'll get it. I actually have an authentic recipe book that was put together for all of us. It took her one year to type up and put together this recipe book with all the family recipes. A wonderful Great Aunt constructed it which was so nice.
Old 10-27-2015, 02:32 PM
Addicted Fan

Old 10-27-2015, 11:57 PM
Master Fan

Quote:
I just saw this recipe and have to say how good these cookies look!

Kolacky-Polish Christmas Cookies.
Yield: about 2-1/2 dozen cookies
Ingredients:
1/2 cup (1 stick = 4 ounces) butter, softened
4 ounces cream cheese, softened
1 cup all-purpose flour
fruit preserves (raspberry, pineapple cherry)
Directions:
Beat butter and cream cheese in large bowl with electric mixer at medium speed until smooth and fluffy. Gradually add flour; beat at low speed until mixture forms soft dough. Divide dough ball in half; wrap each half in plastic wrap. Refrigerate 1 hour or until firm.
Preheat oven to 375*F. Roll out dough, half at a time, on floured surface to 1/8-inch thickness. Cut into 2-1/2 inch squares. Spoon 1 tsp. preserves into center of each square. Bring up two opposite corners to center; pinch together tightly to seal. Fold sealed tip to one side; pinch to seal. Place 1-inch apart on ungreased cookie sheets. Bake 10 to 13 minutes or until lightly browned. Remove to wire racks; cool completely.
Betty that does sound good . Only problem I can't for the life of me do something that requires preparing of dough .

I plan to try this recipe for Christmas Eve cookies (no animal products there):

1 cup raw almonds
1 cup raw cashews
1/3 cup coconut flakes
1/3 cup liquid sweetener (agave or honey)
1/4 teaspoon of salt

1. Soak the almonds for 24 hours and peel them if you want white cookies.
2. Pour everything in the food processor and blend for 1-2 minutes, until it starts sticking together and form a ball. If your sweetener is not liquid, add a little bit of water.
3. Roll the dough with wet hands and cut different shapes with a cookie cutter.
4. Dehydrate for 12 hours at 115°F / 46°C.
5. Serve with home made jam and a cup of coconut milk.

Source -Raw White Cookies | One Green Planet

It looks fairly easy - like for me .

I guess baking would work as well, but I have dehydrator so I will try it this way. I plan to surprise my family with those Christmas Eve cookies.
Old 10-28-2015, 12:49 PM
Fan Forum Hero

That looks really good, Koni. I think I'll keep my cookies brown, though. I'm too lazy to peel those almonds.
Old 10-28-2015, 11:42 PM
Master Fan

Quote:
That looks really good, Koni. I think I'll keep my cookies brown, though. I'm too lazy to peel those almonds.
Me too . The rest of the recipe though is quite easy for people like me who can't do anything more complex than salad .
Old 11-10-2015, 11:55 PM
Master Fan

So I usually eat fruits in the afternoon at work and I like to take my place and cut them and arrange them in some sort of fruit salad without the additional toppings and creams. I usually suck at arranging and it doesn't look that good, but yesterday I managed to make it presentable :

Last edited by secretk; 11-15-2015 at 10:47 AM
secretk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2015, 10:27 AM
Fan Forum Legend

Moderator of ...
Everwood

Koni, I can't see the picture but maybe I'm the only one?
Old 11-15-2015, 10:48 AM
Master Fan

I changed the link. Do you see it now?