Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Closed Thread   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Thread Tools
Old 02-18-2018, 03:58 PM
Fan Forum Legend

Moderator of ...
Everwood

Quote:
Originally Posted by stlavin95 (View Post)
Do you guys think that Jack's character would have been better handled if Dawson's Creek was airing today?
I believe so. Back then it was an entirely different situation. I am sure the network was ultra conservative about storylines once Jack came out. As a result the character was constantly filtered. It would be way different in the present. Look at Clarke on The 100. She’s bisexual. No one cares or is focused on it! We weren’t even told, we were shown. It is normal and a part of Clarke. With Jack his coming out was huge, dramatic, etc. Times are so different now thankfully.
Old 02-18-2018, 04:40 PM
Fan Forum Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Apt (View Post)
I believe so. Back then it was an entirely different situation. I am sure the network was ultra conservative about storylines once Jack came out. As a result the character was constantly filtered. It would be way different in the present. Look at Clarke on The 100. She’s bisexual. No one cares or is focused on it! We weren’t even told, we were shown. It is normal and a part of Clarke. With Jack his coming out was huge, dramatic, etc. Times are so different now thankfully.
Okay, that's definitely great then
Old 02-18-2018, 04:42 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Do you guys think that Jack's character would have been better handled if Dawson's Creek was airing today?
I'd say yes, most likely. Once Jack came out, they gave him silly storylines where his being gay was front and center like "Frat Jack" (where he was asked to join a popular fraternity because he was gay and the fraternity needed to meet a certain quota, which he found out about later) and they had him hooked up with Pacey's brother Doug in the Series Finale, but nowadays I don't think it would have been as big a thing as it was then. I think the "Jack coming out" story was more designed to eliminate him as Dawson's rival for Joey's affections than anything else, and I heard that the actor who played him, Kerr Smith, wasn't happy that his character became gay because supposedly that wasn't pitched to him when he took the role. In the Series Finale, in the "Writers Room" for Dawson's Show, that was mentioned.

There are those who look at things the way they are and ask why - I dream of things that never were and ask why not. - Robert F. Kennedy
Old 02-18-2018, 04:44 PM
Fan Forum Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry D (View Post)
I'd say yes, most likely. Once Jack came out, they gave him silly storylines where his being gay was front and center like "Frat Jack" (where he was asked to join a popular fraternity because he was gay and the fraternity needed to meet a certain quota, which he found out about later) and they had him hooked up with Pacey's brother Doug in the Series Finale, but nowadays I don't think it would have been as big a thing as it was then. I think the "Jack coming out" story was more designed to eliminate him as Dawson's rival for Joey's affections than anything else, and I heard that the actor who played him, Kerr Smith, wasn't happy that his character became gay because supposedly that wasn't pitched to him when he took the role. In the Series Finale, in the "Writers Room" for Dawson's Show, that was mentioned.
That Frat Jack storyline sounds horrible lol
Old 02-18-2018, 04:48 PM
Administrator

Quote:
That Frat Jack storyline sounds horrible lol
It was really stupid. The show really went downhill when they all went off to college.

There are those who look at things the way they are and ask why - I dream of things that never were and ask why not. - Robert F. Kennedy
Old 02-18-2018, 04:52 PM
Fan Forum Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry D (View Post)
It was really stupid. The show really went downhill when they all went off to college.
Most teen shows do from the sounds of it.
Old 02-18-2018, 05:10 PM
Fan Forum Legend

Moderator of ...
Everwood

Quote:
Most teen shows do from the sounds of it.
You’re right. Everwood wouldn’t have but Everwood was unique. Come to think of it, Everwood was not considered a teen show anyway, lol.

Dawson’s Creek in my opinion started sucking in season 3 well before college. Seasons 3/4 were bad though probably not as bad as most teen shows. Compared to seasons 1/2 though the quality dropped like the Titanic. Seasons 5/6 were even worse.

Dawson’s Creek had one brilliant season (season 1) and season 2 was still good quality. Post-season 2 it was never the same. That’s going to happen however when the entire premise changes.
Old 02-18-2018, 05:47 PM
Fan Forum Legend

Quote:
You’re right. Everwood wouldn’t have but Everwood was unique. Come to think of it, Everwood was not considered a teen show anyway, lol.

Dawson’s Creek in my opinion started sucking in season 3 well before college. Seasons 3/4 were bad though probably not as bad as most teen shows. Compared to seasons 1/2 though the quality dropped like the Titanic. Seasons 5/6 were even worse.

Dawson’s Creek had one brilliant season (season 1) and season 2 was still good quality. Post-season 2 it was never the same. That’s going to happen however when the entire premise changes.
Alright, that sucks.
Old 02-18-2018, 05:59 PM
Fan Forum Legend

Moderator of ...
Everwood

Quote:
Alright, that sucks.
It really does. Dawson's Creek had so much potential. Had Kevin stayed it might have gone down as one of the best series around, certainly for teen shows.
Old 02-18-2018, 06:09 PM
Fan Forum Legend

Quote:
It really does. Dawson's Creek had so much potential. Had Kevin stayed it might have gone down as one of the best series around, certainly for teen shows.
I really hate shows that waste so much potential.
Old 02-18-2018, 06:59 PM
Administrator

To be honest, the only thing I liked about Season Two of Dawson's Creek was the Pacey and Andie romance. I hated what they did to Dawson and Joey that season. I really should have stopped watching when Season Two ended because the subsequent seasons were horrible.

Overall, in the final analysis, when I think of Dawson’s Creek, I’ll always think of two words: Wasted Potential. I think that Dawson's Creek, which once rightfully billed itself as “The Next Generation Of Television,” degenerated into a mediocre teen melodrama where "tortured teen romances" dominated almost every episode, and the concept of friendship was almost entirely lost. If I had to do everything all over again, I would never have devoted so much time to writing and talking about this show, because the show ended up disappointing me more than it made me happy.

Old 02-18-2018, 07:12 PM
Fan Forum Legend

Moderator of ...
Everwood

Quote:
I really hate shows that waste so much potential.
Right? It’s so disappointing.
Old 02-18-2018, 07:19 PM
Fan Forum Legend

Moderator of ...
Everwood

Dawson’s Creek season 2 still had the higher quality even if the DJ stuff was annoying. The quality was still there, featuring PA. So many episodes (especially the ones Berlanti wrote) were still up there in quality.

The All Nighter and Reunited were two written by Berlanti. He wrote a couple others in this season as well. Not a coincidence those are my two favorite episodes of season 2.
Old 02-18-2018, 09:42 PM
Fan Forum Legend

Quote:
Right? It’s so disappointing.
Big time really.
Old 02-19-2018, 05:04 AM
Fan Forum Legend

Moderator of ...
Everwood

Quote:
Big time really.
Exactly. With Dawson’s Creek it’s honestly a completely different show once season 3 hits. I remember watching 3.1 wondering where my show went. It was gone.
Closed Thread   Post New Thread