Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Closed Thread   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Thread Tools
Old 02-17-2018, 05:53 PM
Fan Forum Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry D (View Post)
I heard that he didn't write Scream 3 because he directed and wrote the script for Teaching Mrs. Tingle (originally titled Killing Mrs. Tingle) which bombed at the Box Office.
It's got an 19% rating on Rotten Tomatoes lol
Old 02-17-2018, 06:10 PM
Fan Forum Legend

Moderator of ...
Everwood

^ LOL I believe it!

Quote:
I heard that he didn't write Scream 3 because he directed and wrote the script for Teaching Mrs. Tingle (originally titled Killing Mrs. Tingle) which bombed at the Box Office.
Did you see it? It was an awful movie! At the time you could tell it was all about showcasing Katie Holmes and Barry Watson for The WB.

Remember that season 1 Dawson's Creek episode called The Scare? Kevin didn't write that one but of course it was his idea. I feel it is one of the best episodes of season 1. That episode was more entertaining to me than any horror film Kevin created on the big screen.
Old 02-17-2018, 06:14 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Apt (View Post)
Did you see it? It was an awful movie! At the time you could tell it was all about showcasing Katie Holmes and Barry Watson for The WB.
No I didn't see it, but you were right that they were trying to showcase Katie Holmes and Barry Watson.

Quote:
Remember that season 1 Dawson's Creek episode called The Scare? Kevin didn't write that one but of course it was his idea. I feel it is one of the best episodes of season 1. That episode was more entertaining to me than any horror film Kevin created on the big screen.
That really was a great episode. I loved every Season One Episode, but that was one of the best ones.

There are those who look at things the way they are and ask why - I dream of things that never were and ask why not. - Robert F. Kennedy
Old 02-17-2018, 06:24 PM
Fan Forum Legend

Quote:
^ LOL I believe it!
That's just bad haha.
Old 02-17-2018, 06:28 PM
Administrator

One thing that I never liked about Dawson's Creek was how Joey treated Jen.

Here's something that I wrote 15 years ago about that:

I thought that Joey was unfairly harsh and cruel to Jen in Season One, while Jen went out of her way to be kind to Joey. I agree that she shouldn’t have taken out her frustration on the fact that Dawson was oblivious to her feelings for him, which, by the way, she had never expressed to him, out on Jen, who wasn’t responsible for the fact that Dawson had developed a crush on her. It should also be remembered that Dawson pursued Jen, (with a stalker-like zeal, I might add) so it wasn’t like Jen came into town and set her sights on Dawson to take him away from Joey. I’ll always also remember that Jen had the courtesy to ask Joey if she and Dawson were involved right in the first episode, and Joey told her that Dawson and she were just friends.

Jen: Hey Joey. Um, can I ask you something kinda up front?
Joey: Sure.
Jen: Are you and Dawson a thing?
Joey: No, we're just friends.
Jen: Like we're going to be, I hope.

I always thought the next thing they said to each other was incredibly ironic:

Jen: So then you live with your sister?
Joey: And the black boyfriend. He likes you, you know.
Jen: Who the black boyfriend?
Joey: Dawson. Don't abuse his feelings.

I find that statement to be ironic, because in retrospect Joey abused Dawson’s feelings much more than Jen ever did.

There are those who look at things the way they are and ask why - I dream of things that never were and ask why not. - Robert F. Kennedy
Old 02-17-2018, 06:32 PM
Fan Forum Legend

Moderator of ...
Everwood

Quote:
No I didn't see it, but you were right that they were trying to showcase Katie Holmes and Barry Watson.

That really was a great episode. I loved every Season One Episode, but that was one of the best ones.
Season 1 episodes were all great.

If you had to pick your top three best season 1 episodes which ones would you choose?
Old 02-17-2018, 06:33 PM
Fan Forum Legend

Moderator of ...
Everwood

Quote:
Originally Posted by stlavin95 (View Post)
That's just bad haha.
Haha it is. Reviews were terrible.
Old 02-17-2018, 06:40 PM
Fan Forum Legend

Moderator of ...
Everwood

Quote:
One thing that I never liked about Dawson's Creek was how Joey treated Jen.

Here's something that I wrote 15 years ago about that:

I thought that Joey was unfairly harsh and cruel to Jen in Season One, while Jen went out of her way to be kind to Joey. I agree that she shouldn’t have taken out her frustration on the fact that Dawson was oblivious to her feelings for him, which, by the way, she had never expressed to him, out on Jen, who wasn’t responsible for the fact that Dawson had developed a crush on her. It should also be remembered that Dawson pursued Jen, (with a stalker-like zeal, I might add) so it wasn’t like Jen came into town and set her sights on Dawson to take him away from Joey. I’ll always also remember that Jen had the courtesy to ask Joey if she and Dawson were involved right in the first episode, and Joey told her that Dawson and she were just friends.

Jen: Hey Joey. Um, can I ask you something kinda up front?
Joey: Sure.
Jen: Are you and Dawson a thing?
Joey: No, we're just friends.
Jen: Like we're going to be, I hope.

I always thought the next thing they said to each other was incredibly ironic:

Jen: So then you live with your sister?
Joey: And the black boyfriend. He likes you, you know.
Jen: Who the black boyfriend?
Joey: Dawson. Don't abuse his feelings.

I find that statement to be ironic, because in retrospect Joey abused Dawson’s feelings much more than Jen ever did.
Excellent thoughts, Jerry. I really hated Joey’s treatment of Jen, too. Jen asked her straight up about her situation with Dawson. Joey lied to her. Even if Joey wasn’t ready to state her feelings she could have told Jen it was confusing at the very least. Not only did she treat her like crap in seasons 1/2 but even season 5 she pulled a slight attitude when Jen/Dawson briefly dated again. I find that interesting because Jen actually helped Joey in season 3 when she was confused over the nightmare with Pacey.

Throughout the series Jen was always kind towards Joey. She was open and honest with her, gave her helpful advice. Too bad Joey never returned that kindness.
Old 02-17-2018, 06:45 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Season 1 episodes were all great.

If you had to pick your top three best season 1 episodes which ones would you choose?
I'll have to think of two more episodes, but my favorite Dawson's Creek episode of all time, from a post I did years ago, is Pretty Woman, (later called Beauty Contest) because that was the episode when Dawson finally “took off the blinders” and saw what he had in Joey, and I loved the fact that we also saw that Joey had the presence of mind in that episode to tell Dawson that she didn’t want him to love her simply because of what she looked like, but for who she was, and she walked away from him, until he was ready to love and accept her on her own terms, telling him that she wanted him to realize that what they had together was so much more incredible than some passing physical attraction, because, as she put it so perfectly, “I thought this was what I wanted. For you to see me as beautiful. For you to look at me the way that you look at Jen. But the truth is I don't want that at all Dawson. I want you to look at me and see the person you've always known and realize that what we have is so much more incredible than some passing physical attraction, because you know what Dawson? This is just lipstick. And this is just hair spray. Tomorrow I'm going to wake up, and I'm going to be Joey. Just Joey. The too-tall girl from the wrong side of the creek.”

I also loved the scene in this episode when a tearful Joey, having overheard some of the other contestants talk about her in a particularly cruel way, was ready to quit the beauty pageant she had entered, but Dawson was right there for her, and he instinctively knew just what to say to her to make her feel better.

Joey: Dawson, don't try to get me to go back out there. God, I mean, setting myself up like this, I am such an idiot.

Dawson: Joey, listen to me. Look, you were phenomenal out there. Don't let these inbred idiots get you down. If you leave now you're never going to forgive yourself.

Joey: Look, I don't belong here Dawson. I mean look at me. I mean, how could I have stooped this low for money? I might as well have just sold myself on a street corner.

Dawson: Joey do you realize you could win this thing? Why do you think they're slamming you? They're terrified of you. They know that you can beat them.

Joey: I don't want their money Dawson. I don't want anything from these people. It makes me sick.

Dawson: I don't think it’s about the money anymore. Joey, I know we're not speaking right now, okay? But if we were, I would tell my best friend, who was always afraid to get up in front of class for show-and-tell, how incredibly proud I am of her. How I think she has got more guts and talent and strength of character than all the Hannah Von Whetting’s in the world put together.

Right after Dawson said those words to her, Joey went out, faced the crowd, and gave one of the most moving and heartfelt speeches that I’ve ever heard on the show, standing on her own two feet, and facing down the people who had gossiped so maliciously about her, thanks, to at least some degree, to Dawson’s inspirational words to her, and in that instance, he inspired and challenged her to reach into herself and speak with confidence, courage, and poise.

MC: For your final question, Miss Potter, please tell us what words of advice you would bestow upon today's youth.

Joey: I'd like to tell today's youth that no matter where life takes you, big cities, small towns, you'll inevitably come across small minds. People who think that they're better than you are. People who think that having material things, or being pretty or popular, automatically makes you a worth while human being. I'd like to tell today's youth that none of these things matter unless you have strength of character, integrity, sense of pride, and if you're lucky enough to have any one of these things, don't ever sell them. Don't ever sell out. So when you meet a person for the first time, please don't judge them by their station of life, because, who knows, that person just might end up being your best friend. Thank you.

I also loved the role Jen played in that episode, both as a supportive friend to Joey, and as a vulnerable young woman who realized that she loved the boy she had rejected due to her personal issues, and I thought that Pacey's line to her that “Could it be Cinderella's fairy godmother did her job a little too well? It looks like Prince Charming's found the owner of that glass slipper” was absolutely perfect. I loved it when Pacey asked her: “Tell me, is it the possibility of losing him to someone else that suddenly makes him seem so attractive?” and when Jen answered him: “You really think that I’m that shallow, huh?” he answered her: “No. I think you're that human.”

Still though, I felt sorry for Jen in that episode, as she realized, too late, that she had made a mistake by not giving her relationship with Dawson a chance, and I always considered it a real credit to Michelle Williams that she could make a character that was cast, and I quote, as the “mini skirted wedge between Dawson and Joey's true feelings for one another” look sympathetic and multi-dimensional. I also loved how Dawson supported Pacey as a friend in that episode, and how Pacey stood up for himself in an amusing but courageous way.

To me, Pretty Woman was the show of shows in what is for me, without a doubt, the best season of Dawson's Creek.

Old 02-17-2018, 06:56 PM
Fan Forum Legend

Quote:
Haha it is. Reviews were terrible.
They really were lol.
Old 02-18-2018, 07:35 AM
Fan Forum Legend

Moderator of ...
Everwood

Quote:
I'll have to think of two more episodes, but my favorite Dawson's Creek episode of all time, from a post I did years ago, is Pretty Woman, (later called Beauty Contest) because that was the episode when Dawson finally “took off the blinders” and saw what he had in Joey, and I loved the fact that we also saw that Joey had the presence of mind in that episode to tell Dawson that she didn’t want him to love her simply because of what she looked like, but for who she was, and she walked away from him, until he was ready to love and accept her on her own terms, telling him that she wanted him to realize that what they had together was so much more incredible than some passing physical attraction, because, as she put it so perfectly, “I thought this was what I wanted. For you to see me as beautiful. For you to look at me the way that you look at Jen. But the truth is I don't want that at all Dawson. I want you to look at me and see the person you've always known and realize that what we have is so much more incredible than some passing physical attraction, because you know what Dawson? This is just lipstick. And this is just hair spray. Tomorrow I'm going to wake up, and I'm going to be Joey. Just Joey. The too-tall girl from the wrong side of the creek.”

I also loved the scene in this episode when a tearful Joey, having overheard some of the other contestants talk about her in a particularly cruel way, was ready to quit the beauty pageant she had entered, but Dawson was right there for her, and he instinctively knew just what to say to her to make her feel better.

Joey: Dawson, don't try to get me to go back out there. God, I mean, setting myself up like this, I am such an idiot.

Dawson: Joey, listen to me. Look, you were phenomenal out there. Don't let these inbred idiots get you down. If you leave now you're never going to forgive yourself.

Joey: Look, I don't belong here Dawson. I mean look at me. I mean, how could I have stooped this low for money? I might as well have just sold myself on a street corner.

Dawson: Joey do you realize you could win this thing? Why do you think they're slamming you? They're terrified of you. They know that you can beat them.

Joey: I don't want their money Dawson. I don't want anything from these people. It makes me sick.

Dawson: I don't think it’s about the money anymore. Joey, I know we're not speaking right now, okay? But if we were, I would tell my best friend, who was always afraid to get up in front of class for show-and-tell, how incredibly proud I am of her. How I think she has got more guts and talent and strength of character than all the Hannah Von Whetting’s in the world put together.

Right after Dawson said those words to her, Joey went out, faced the crowd, and gave one of the most moving and heartfelt speeches that I’ve ever heard on the show, standing on her own two feet, and facing down the people who had gossiped so maliciously about her, thanks, to at least some degree, to Dawson’s inspirational words to her, and in that instance, he inspired and challenged her to reach into herself and speak with confidence, courage, and poise.

MC: For your final question, Miss Potter, please tell us what words of advice you would bestow upon today's youth.

Joey: I'd like to tell today's youth that no matter where life takes you, big cities, small towns, you'll inevitably come across small minds. People who think that they're better than you are. People who think that having material things, or being pretty or popular, automatically makes you a worth while human being. I'd like to tell today's youth that none of these things matter unless you have strength of character, integrity, sense of pride, and if you're lucky enough to have any one of these things, don't ever sell them. Don't ever sell out. So when you meet a person for the first time, please don't judge them by their station of life, because, who knows, that person just might end up being your best friend. Thank you.

I also loved the role Jen played in that episode, both as a supportive friend to Joey, and as a vulnerable young woman who realized that she loved the boy she had rejected due to her personal issues, and I thought that Pacey's line to her that “Could it be Cinderella's fairy godmother did her job a little too well? It looks like Prince Charming's found the owner of that glass slipper” was absolutely perfect. I loved it when Pacey asked her: “Tell me, is it the possibility of losing him to someone else that suddenly makes him seem so attractive?” and when Jen answered him: “You really think that I’m that shallow, huh?” he answered her: “No. I think you're that human.”

Still though, I felt sorry for Jen in that episode, as she realized, too late, that she had made a mistake by not giving her relationship with Dawson a chance, and I always considered it a real credit to Michelle Williams that she could make a character that was cast, and I quote, as the “mini skirted wedge between Dawson and Joey's true feelings for one another” look sympathetic and multi-dimensional. I also loved how Dawson supported Pacey as a friend in that episode, and how Pacey stood up for himself in an amusing but courageous way.

To me, Pretty Woman was the show of shows in what is for me, without a doubt, the best season of Dawson's Creek.
Great thoughts as usual, Jerry.

I was a shipper of Dawson/Joey for several reasons and one reason was how easily Dawson and Joey balanced each other out. This episode is a prime example. Dawson helped Joey muster up enough courage to finish out the contest. She never would have done so on her own. Dawson influenced her and gave her the strength. Joey’s speech to Dawson about their future romantic relationship was just beautiful. Katie Holmes, in this episode alone, was magnificent in her portrayal of Joey. She had the acting chops in this one. I loved season 1 Joey. What a terrific, well-rounded character.

This episode was definitely one of the best episodes of the series. I’m not sure how anyone could watch this one and not be 100% sold on Dawson/Joey.
Old 02-18-2018, 07:46 AM
Fan Forum Legend

Moderator of ...
Everwood

To add... yes, Michelle played Jen just perfectly. I have to wonder how long they planned on having Michelle around because Jen very easily could have been gone in a relatively short period of time. Michelle’s acting would never allow it. Jen was likable from the start even though initially her character was all about drama for Dawson/Joey.

I always thought Jen and Pacey would have made an interesting pairing. Of course they were only used in season 3 in a lame way. I loved Pacey/Andie but thinking about Pacey/Jen getting started in season 2... I think there would have been a lot of potential. Both were outsiders in a way. They could have learned a lot from each other. Jen had her Grandmother. Pacey didn’t have family he was close to. I would have loved seeing Pacey spend time over at Gram’s house.

Instead of Jen pining for Dawson in season 2, I would have loved seeing Pacey/Jen grow closer instead.
Old 02-18-2018, 03:16 PM
Administrator

Quote:
To add... yes, Michelle played Jen just perfectly. I have to wonder how long they planned on having Michelle around because Jen very easily could have been gone in a relatively short period of time. Michelle’s acting would never allow it. Jen was likable from the start even though initially her character was all about drama for Dawson/Joey.

I always thought Jen and Pacey would have made an interesting pairing. Of course they were only used in season 3 in a lame way. I loved Pacey/Andie but thinking about Pacey/Jen getting started in season 2... I think there would have been a lot of potential. Both were outsiders in a way. They could have learned a lot from each other. Jen had her Grandmother. Pacey didn’t have family he was close to. I would have loved seeing Pacey spend time over at Gram’s house.

Instead of Jen pining for Dawson in season 2, I would have loved seeing Pacey/Jen grow closer instead.
The only thing that saved both Jack and Jen on the show once they were no longer the love interests of Joey and Dawson was their friendship with each other, which grew into a "soulmate" connection, as alluded to in the Series Finale. I did like their friendship, but I also felt that the show didn't really know what to do with them other than make Jack the requisite gay character, and make Jen the "troubled girl" with her "downward spiral" in Season Two and having her take Dawson's virginity and briefly become his girlfriend in Season Five.

The one character who really got treated horribly once she wasn't Pacey's love interest anymore was Andie. Her character was completely destroyed and she was eventually written off the show, and I think that did her character a real disservice and it also did a real disservice to the actress who played her, Meredith Monroe.

I also would have liked to have seen Jen and Pacey grow closer instead of that stupid "Sex Pact" thing that they had in Season Three.

Old 02-18-2018, 03:33 PM
Fan Forum Legend

Do you guys think that Jack's character would have been better handled if Dawson's Creek was airing today?
Old 02-18-2018, 03:49 PM
Fan Forum Legend

Moderator of ...
Everwood

Quote:
The only thing that saved both Jack and Jen on the show once they were no longer the love interests of Joey and Dawson was their friendship with each other, which grew into a "soulmate" connection, as alluded to in the Series Finale. I did like their friendship, but I also felt that the show didn't really know what to do with them other than make Jack the requisite gay character, and make Jen the "troubled girl" with her "downward spiral" in Season Two and having her take Dawson's virginity and briefly become his girlfriend in Season Five.

The one character who really got treated horribly once she wasn't Pacey's love interest anymore was Andie. Her character was completely destroyed and she was eventually written off the show, and I think that did her character a real disservice and it also did a real disservice to the actress who played her, Meredith Monroe.

I also would have liked to have seen Jen and Pacey grow closer instead of that stupid "Sex Pact" thing that they had in Season Three.
I liked Jack and Jen too but you’re absolutely right that it felt like they were thrown together. I also believe Jack was more front and center since he was not a threat to the triangle. As a result, he was able to stay while Andie was trashed then thrown away. What they did to Andie was a shame and as a psychologist I will forever dislike how careless they were with mental illness.

The sex pact was so lame. It was only to provide more fuel for Pacey/Joey to evolve. Characters, storylines, the entire premise of the show for that matter = all disrespected to make way for Pacey/Joey.
Closed Thread   Post New Thread