New Forum Poll   |     Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Reply   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Tags Thread Tools
Old 01-22-2011, 12:42 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Everwood Episode Discussion #409: Getting To Know You

Getting To Know You

Original Airdate: December 8, 2005

Description: A very-much-in-love Ephram (Gregory Smith) discovers that he has become a "girlfriend" to Amy (Emily Van Camp), but the friendship is threatened when a moment of intimacy leads to them waking up together the next morning. Meanwhile, Nina (Stephanie Niznik) grows suspicious of Jake's (Scott Wolf) recent strange behavior, which is furthered when his brother (Tom Parker) shows up unexpectedly; Andy (Treat Williams) is worried when Delia (Vivien Cardone) takes up with the popular girls in school; Bright (Chris Pratt) tackles Hannah's (Sarah Drew) low self-esteem issues; and Rose (Merrilyn Gann) drops some startling news on Harold (Tom Amandes).

Also starring Debra Mooney and John Beasley. Episode written by series creator Greg Berlanti and Tom Garrigus. Directed by Joe Pennella.
patricia
fulfilledღ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2011, 12:43 AM
Fan Forum Hero

(get ready for it...)

So it seems we’ve had a break in the episode schedule. I was a bit thrown off when it was all of a sudden Christmas and a few things seemed rushed a little bit.

Jake

So is this what Jake does? Wait until the tension gets so bad and thick around him that he pops a nerve pill and ignores everyone in his life while drinking a bottle of…excuse me, a case of beer alone. It’s quite irritating. He’s put himself in this position. He needs to be honest with Nina, yes. But first he needs to be honest with himself. Jake actually thought he could start over in Everwood. Never tell a soul about him being an addict. Never letting anyone think his life was nothing but perfection and that he’s some former California doctor? How long was he going to keep lying to himself thinking everyone believed him. Everwoodians are not that slow to uncover the truth. After all, some seasons ago Harold Abbott became quite the detective when bones were found in someone yard. Who knew Jake had some bones of his own! I just wish Jake would be honest with himself, it’s clear that he doesn’t know how to be. I guess with him moving to Everwood, and pretending that everything was okay would make himself believe that everything was okay. Like he would fall into his own trap of a fake world and start to believe it. But pretending everything is okay just makes the addiction more introduced in life. Being real is what keeps addictions at bay. And by Jake pretending, it just made the addiction that much more harder to keep away.

I’m glad that Jake called his sponsor, he did the right thing. And he should’ve gone to the meeting. But in the end, Jake does what Jake wants to do. There is no way around it. It’s just what happens. Jake likes to be in control of everything, including his life. However, when he thinks he’s so in control, that’s usually when he’s at his worst.

Bright/Hannah

The world is at peace again. Bright is eating fried foods being thrown at him and Hannah is helping him cram for college midterms. Our world is nice and sparkly again. Nothing much more to say other than…SQUEEEEEEEEEE!

I knew that Hannah was insecure about her body, but nothing like this. She waits to undress after everyone leaves in the gym. She is so insecure by the waitress and Ali (forgot who Ali was). I think Hannah sees herself as a very different person than how Amy sees her and how Bright sees her. Bright’s thoughts are never on anyone else when Hannah’s around. I guess it’s natural or maybe even a reflex to look at a pretty girl who walks by. But they have nothing on Hannah. And I’m so sad that it’s taking Hannah this long to really notice it. To really feel like she is more than those girls could ever be. I do adore how Bright forced her into the bathroom, a clean bathroom too! For her to really see how beautiful she is. I thought she was feeling Closter phobia when taking off her jacket. I never expected her to take off her clothes, including the underwear and invite Bright in. I adore the covered eyes and refusal to look, knowing how Hannah feels about what’s underneath the clothes. And in front of the mirror, him holding her. So sweet. That moment shall be frozen in time And at least an icon of it…hint, hint!

Rose…Rose/Harold

I like the idea that Rose is getting back into the staying active in the community again. But I feel she’s doing these things to fill her time up and to be needed and wanted again. Her column would bring attention to her, which is something Rose has become quite accustomed to with being the mayor of Everwood for twelve years. And to adopt a child from Africa. That’s like Harold and Rose having another baby. The child would adore her, respect her. She could take care of someone. For the past few months, Rose has been taken care of. She hasn’t had to take care of anything. Amy pretty much treated her like invalid through her entire cancer battle. And without being the mayor or having a job in Everwood, Rose doesn’t really do anything. And Rose is not one to just sit down and knit warm coats for the cold winter months. I just don’t think Rose really thought the idea through of having a child, especially adopting one from such a far away place. Not that her trip to Africa wasn’t inspiring and she shouldn’t take anything away from it. But it’s just something that takes months, even over a year to consider. Not a few weeks, if she gave it thought long of thought.

Oh the little things that get Harold in the mood. I may never look at a cheesecake the same ever again. I may smile at it who knows. It’s just very enlightening to see Harold and Rose still get that spark. I just hope that maybe one day, maybe (hint, hint) we can see that spark in another couple that has yet to find their way.

Ephram/Amy

I do like they are friends and are hanging out together. But I agree with Ephram. He’s in the FRIENDS ZONE! (if you ever see ‘just friends’ with Ryan Reynolds, it explains the ‘friends zone’ very well) He’s so in love with Amy, he’ll do anything to get into her life. And that’s not bad, but he would rather be in her bed than just in her life. Sorry to put it that way, but it’s true. He’s always in her heart, but not that he thinks is past their really awesome friendship. Because, like it’s been etched in stone a thousand times, they were never friends. People like Ephram and Amy are never friends. They are the opposite of friends with benefits. They are lovers with benefits. They are the ones who have sex and talk about everything, they are each other’s best friend. And sometimes it’s frustrating when both can’t seem to get it right and move in the same direction.

And Amy spots Dougee. Now the “postcards” scene makes so much sense! I never knew who Dougee “with two e’s” was and now I do, so thanks. I just hate that Ephram had to be witnessed to Amy wave to another guy that she might go out on a date with.

For the record, I’ve watched the postcards scene on you tube a thousand times. But after watching everything up until that moment and everything after with both of them calling Bright/Hannah at the same time…makes that scene so new like I’m seeing it for the first time. I knew ya’ll all said I should wait and watch the episodes throughout. But it still feels like the first time watching after all the episodes I’ve seen and all the information I’ve processed.

Andy/Delia

WOW! This little girl isn’t so little anymore. And since when does Andy Brown go social networking. I know Andy’s been gone from the game for a while, but internet dating. I just personally don’t get the idea of it. I’m old fashioned. I like to come face to face with the person I give my heart to. Maybe since Andy has found every unavailable woman to sleep with in Everwood since Julia died, he’s sorta desperate, but…no, it’s just not our Andy Brown. And of course his first kind of jaunt into the cyber world he finds Delia’s email. And he had to read it. What is wrong with you Andy Brown. I mean, come on, what in the hell are you doing reading your daughter’s email. By the way, did we ever get an explanation on the idea of the fat cow thing? I don’t remember getting one. I’d like to know of Delia was just sent the email or she was participating in the act. I don’t believe Delia would do that, Ephram and Andy have raised her better than that, but Delia and those girls, a new life she takes on. I do like that Andy admitted it. You know his track record of keeping secrets! But man, for Delia to lash out the way she did. Yeah it was fair for her to be mad and upset about Andy invading her privacy when she helps him out with the computer. But to bring Julia into the mix. I don’t think Delia really knows or gets how much Andy loved Julia. It’s only recently become clear to Ephram how much love Andy had for his wife. But for her to use that against him, that’s cutting below the belt. Ephram played that card too and he never got away with it. But Andy was in a different place when that was happening, he didn’t have the skills nor the strength to handle that argument. And Andy felt Ephram had more of a fair argument when discussing Julia because he had much more time with Julia than Delia did. He was able to know more about Julia. After all, Julia was the only person that Ephram could really open up to, one that he trusted his feelings with when they were in New York. And I believe Andy thinks he ruined that by just being around sometimes because most of the time he wasn’t around.

Nina/Bryan…Nina/Jake

I know Nina has her reservations about Brian. And she should. She doesn’t know anything about him and there he is going through their medicine cabinet looking for aspirin, is that what he said, can’t remember. I think he was looking to see if Jake had any other prescriptions around the house that he wasn’t willing to tell anyone about. It’s not like Nina would know that a medicine bottle would mean Jake is abusing drugs. She knows nothing about medicine. Even if she asked Jake, he could tell her it’s for an injury, she’d believe him. Why would she have a reason not to? He’s a doctor, he knows things. I just hate that when she finally has the courage to bring it up to Jake and tell him her feelings on it and how felt maybe betrayed that a strange man, he’s not a stranger…he is just strange…is snooping around the medicine cabinet after not even being in Everwood a week. And then Jake blowing her off like it’s Nina’s problem that she can’t trust the people in Jake’s life. And how the hell does Jake get an idea that he can make an ultimatum about ‘their house’, since when does boy wonder pay for payments or do anything besides cook an occasional ‘I’m sorry for being a jackass’ breakfast or occasionally recognize Sam being in the room. He does NOTHING. And he stakes claims like has a right to them. Someone please get the getaway car, Jake needs to leave town in a hurry…no one will look for the body…will they

Nina so should’ve stuck to her guns about kicking Jake out. Him not telling her he’s an addict because it never would’ve come up. What if they had a kid together (oh right they do, carrying on) and that kid is born with some defect because Jake’s Mr. Happy didn’t get all the drugs out of his system. I mean come on you loser! You can’t be man enough to tell a woman you were a drug addict. Or are you just to chicken **** to realize that maybe if you tell someone, it really happened and you can’t just forget things and they’ll just go away. Hell, If I tried to forget you, would YOU GO AWAY. I’ve tried and you’re STILL HERE! Damn, didn’t work!

And why can’t Nina handle problems on her own? She chose Jake in her life, she can’t run to Andy with every problem because Jake is not available being that he usually is the problem. Nina didn’t know how to choose she’s just favoring. She still has a relationship going past the usual friendship with Andy and she has the other stuff with Jake. Face it, Nina has everything. Just a craptastic jackhole is on part of the evil triangle.
patricia

Last edited by fulfilledღ; 01-22-2011 at 12:52 AM
Old 01-22-2011, 01:48 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Moderator of ...
Everwood

My thoughts on this episode:

1. I, too, was very happy that Nina stuck to her guns and threw Jake out. I wanted her to get rid of Jake for more than one reason.

2. I loved the way that Bright forced Hannah into the bathroom so that she would see how beautiful she is. I wasn't too thrilled with Hannah stripping for Bright. I kind of wonder what her purpose was other than showing Bright that she realized that she is indeed beautiful. I just think that it was kind of a tease for poor Bright. I didn't believe this was necessary.

3. My favorite scene is the Ephram Apartment scene...studying carbon...Ephram/Amy...sex....postcards...I'm still in love with you. Beautiful.

4. Yes, Delia is definitely changing from that sweet, adorable, obedient child. Oh...hormones.
everwoodfan52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2011, 11:54 PM
Fan Forum Hero

She's turning into Ephram from Season 1 and we know how bad of a trainwreck that was
patricia
Old 01-24-2011, 12:31 PM
Master Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Betty
I wasn't too thrilled with Hannah stripping for Bright. I kind of wonder what her purpose was other than showing Bright that she realized that she is indeed beautiful. I just think that it was kind of a tease for poor Bright. I didn't believe this was necessary.
It's a very popular scene, but I have the same feelings as you with the stripping. It just seemed like a cliffhanger moment, you know? To get people to tune in again. A tease for Bright, and not in character for Hannah. But people love it, so I guess it did its job.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patricia
For the record, I’ve watched the postcards scene on you tube a thousand times. But after watching everything up until that moment and everything after with both of them calling Bright/Hannah at the same time…makes that scene so new like I’m seeing it for the first time. I knew ya’ll all said I should wait and watch the episodes throughout. But it still feels like the first time watching after all the episodes I’ve seen and all the information I’ve processed.
Aw, good. It really does make a difference watching everything before. You get to see how long it's been for Ephram and Amy and what they've both been through to get to that place, and how Ephram pours his heart out like never before. Everwood: It's all about the journey.
“[People] talk to me about these characters as if they’re real, and they’re not real, but they’ve become real...I really think, shows like this one, you have an attachment to them. They’re like friends you check in on."
-Greg Berlanti on Everwood
'Tos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 01:43 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Moderator of ...
Everwood

Quote:
Aw, good. It really does make a difference watching everything before. You get to see how long it's been for Ephram and Amy and what they've both been through to get to that place, and how Ephram pours his heart out like never before. Everwood: It's all about the journey.
And I didn't mind Ephram's long hair in this scene. I thought that he looked just beautiful.

Patricia, how did you think that Amy should have responded to Ephram when he told her that he still loved her? How would you have responded if you were Amy?
Old 01-24-2011, 10:50 PM
Fan Forum Hero

I would've hoped she just wouldn't have walked away. But Amy being in a relationship with Ephram, she's all the way in. There are never doubts whether they're together or not. Either they're together or they're not, there i no medium with Amy/Ephram.

I would have hoped the I Love You thing would have come sooner and not after they had sex or that he gave her the post cards. Because Amy went through those post cards when Ephram was her friend, she didn't read them. But I would hope that if Amy found out his true feelings, she would've pulled a postcard out and read a few of his thoughts and she would've felt so different. Maybe not even gone home and they would've talked about stuff.

But Ephram/Amy usually take a few wrong tries to get it right
patricia
Old 02-01-2011, 09:42 PM
Elite Fan

Good comments about the Hannah/Bright scene. I totally agree it was a tease for Bright, although not in that particular moment because Bright was focused on making her feel good. I believe the show probably did that to boost ratings a bit and surprise people though, overall.

I really, really enjoyed this episode. Ephram and Amy were fantastic!
Jamie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 12:57 PM
Master Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie
Good comments about the Hannah/Bright scene. I totally agree it was a tease for Bright, although not in that particular moment because Bright was focused on making her feel good.
That's a great point. Bright's probably not even thinking sexually here. It's the first time in his life that he's not thinking about sex with a naked girl around. No, but I do like that there's a more innocent aspect for Bright. It's something new for him.
“[People] talk to me about these characters as if they’re real, and they’re not real, but they’ve become real...I really think, shows like this one, you have an attachment to them. They’re like friends you check in on."
Old 02-02-2011, 11:45 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by 'Tos (View Post)
That's a great point. Bright's probably not even thinking sexually here. It's the first time in his life that he's not thinking about sex with a naked girl around.
Bright's really growing up now! (finally...)
patricia
Old 02-03-2011, 12:28 PM
Master Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by a creative one (View Post)
Bright's really growing up now! (finally...)
Until he cheats, of course...that wasn't so grown up. But he grew up more after that, so, yes, continuing to grow up!
Old 02-03-2011, 06:00 PM
Fan Forum Hero

well I can really say that after he did what he did and saw how much it affected his relationship with Hannah, seemingly there wasn't one and then everyone else, that made him grow up more than anything.
patricia
Old 02-27-2011, 03:22 AM
New Fan

Ohh this is the one that starts with How it ends.....simply amazing
Blue Valentine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2011, 03:46 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Moderator of ...
Everwood

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Valentine (View Post)
Ohh this is the one that starts with How it ends.....simply amazing
I absolutely love this song, Fabio...and this episode.

YouTube - DeVotchKa - How It Ends

Do you have any thoughts on the episode? What did you think of Ephram/Amy this episode?
Old 02-27-2011, 04:41 AM
New Fan

well it's a very great moment when amy sees the postcards and ephram opens his heart to her... but most of all the things i remember about this episode are the beginning and the end with that awesome song,i love it too.... yesterday i finished to watch all the seasons again, it's always great
Blue Valentine is offline   Reply With Quote
Fan Forum  |  Contact Us  |  Fan Forum on Twitter  |  Fan Forum on Facebook  |  Archive  |  Top