Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Closed Thread   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Tags Thread Tools
Old 01-19-2011, 01:13 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Everwood Episode Discussion #406: Free Fall

Free Fall

Episode Airdate: November 3, 2005

Description: In hopes of mending Andy (Treat Williams) and Jake's (Scott Wolf) friendship, Nina (Stephanie Niznik) suggests the two men go to counseling together. Meanwhile, Andy breaks the news to Ephram (Gregory Brown) that Amy (Emily Van Camp) may be seeing someone new; Harold (Tom Amandes) helps Rose (Merrilyn Gann) find new direction after losing the mayoral reelection campaign; and Ephram realizes that Kyle's (Steven R. McQueen) life may be more complicated than he originally thought.

Vivien Cardone, Chris Pratt, Sarah Drew, Debra Mooney and John Beasley also star. Written by series creator Greg Berlanti and Directed by Arvin Brown
{EphramAmy}
patricia
Old 01-19-2011, 01:13 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Jake/Andy

So when did Jake think Andy’s feelings for Nina were just going to go away or disappear? Did Jake actually have an idea that Andy would stand by and let nothing happen. Jake knew long before, even admitted it to Andy that Andy had feelings for Nina. And he still had this grand surprise when he found out Andy kissed her. I don’t think Jake would’ve been so mad if he didn’t know there was something there for Nina as well. Jake knows that Nina has something for Andy. I doubt he really knows how strong it is. Nina got Andy out of one of the darkest periods of his life. She helped him get through the death of Julia. Without Nina, Andy would still be (badly) making dinner for just him and Delia. I doubt him and Ephram would have gotten to some sort of stable ground. I’m sure Andy would not have gotten good advice as he had gotten if Nina wasn’t the one telling it.

And then we finally get down to what’s really going on. They’re both want what the other has. Jake wants the accolades. Andy has achieved more in his time on earth than Jake ever hopes to achieve in two lifetimes. Andy has performed surgeries that are read about in newspapers and are made in the record books. Jake only hit newspapers when he was giving out drugs to celebrities. And Andy wants so bad of what Jake has. And it’s not just about Nina. It’s the entire package. When Andy was Jake’s age, he had nothing figured out. He had just married Julia a few short years prior and Ephram had just come along. He was living inside of as surgical room and he didn’t even know what his bedroom looked like. Andy envies what Jake has built. He has built a family, a home that he knows he can come to where people love and adore him. It took Julia dying and an abrupt move to Everwood, Colorado and a year or so after that for Andy to get a stable ground with his kids. I think that’s what eats at both of them. They want what each other has and if they wait too long, they’ll never have it.

Ephram/Kyle’s mom

Up until then I don’t think that Ephram really knew what piano lessons did for Kyle or for himself all that time ago. Kyle may be a jerk, well yeah, he is a jerk. But he has passion for piano just like Ephram still does. And both of them use sarcasm as way of letting piano not seem as big as it, but it’s apart of them.

Andy/Ephram

I know Andy and Ephram have this honesty thing going on. But does that honesty extend to Amy as well? IMO, I don’t think it was Andy’s place to say anything. Amy wouldn’t have told Hannah if she thought Andy was right there or that he’d go blab it straight to Ephram. And it wouldn’t have made a difference anyway with Ephram seeing Reid kiss Amy goodnight. Sure Andy didn’t know that would happen, but wouldn’t Ephram see it anyway? Reid is his roommate and Amy is the whatever. I’m not saying girlfriend… Ephram was bound to find out. Would it have hurt Ephram that Andy knew something about Amy and didn’t tell him?

Hannah/Amy

I love Hannah for trying to clean up the apartment. But it’s a lost cause. But we do know how Hannah feels about lost causes. She has to help them, feed them…clothe them and send them on their way. And then there’s the apartment. Does the word quarantine mean anything to anyone? I did really enjoy Amy’s realization that she can ask a boy out on a date. She looked shocked that she could. “I’ve never asked a boy out before.”. Like we’ve suddenly went back hundreds of years when girls weren’t so forward and wouldn’t ask out a boy.

Ephram/Kyle

Poor Ephram, always distracted by Amy. I think Kyle has some issues with how the whole academic process is handled. Who taught him that filling out ANYTHING in pencil was okay? He is so sure he’s better than anyone to get into Julliard and he’s doing these things that most people who don’t belong at Julliard already know. It’s like there’s this desperate need to get out of Everwood, away from everyone he’ll do anything to do it. And he’s so anxious to prove to everyone that he can do it, he messes up on other really important things.

I liked their field trip. Reminded me of the jazz club that Ephram went to. His teacher didn’t care about a date or whatever was going on in Ephram’s personal life. He just wanted Ephram exposed to a different type of music. And Ephram was. Even though the date was crap because the first of many times, Laney discovered that Ephram didn’t want any other girl besides Amy. Hmm, nothing much changes in Everwood, does it?

I do give Ephram credit for the ski lift and the piano playing in the lobby that got them kicked out. Kyle made fifty bucks. If he could stay, I’m sure Julliard application would’ve been paid for and maybe a trip to New York to visit the school too. But alas, maybe another time. It gave Kyle the confidence he so lacked when playing the piano.

Andy/Nina

This whole song and dance about therapy is really…really fricken fracken IRRITATING! I get why Nina is trying so hard to get Jake and Andy to ‘make up’ and be friends. If Jake and Andy continue this badgering and enemy stuff, Nina’s gonna lose Andy. And she wants him as close to her life as he can be with just being a friend. I find it so weird and nauseating that she’s going so far to make them be friends. I mean getting a ‘mediator’ to coach them on being friends. It’s what guys do! It’s like first grade. Andy kissed Jake’s girlfriend Nina on the playground so now Nina runs home and makes her mommy get them together to make up. It’s really disgusting and insulting. I know I might be taking my argument way too far. But it makes sense. The closer she gets to Jake and marriage and being a family with him, the farther apart she is from Andy. And Nina doesn’t want that, but the idea of being with Andy and all of his issues and really opening up to him, it scares her. So she has the best of both worlds. She can go to Andy for the emotional stuff because he knows her situation with Sam and other things in her life. But it doesn’t seem like she can go to that stuff with Jake. Jake is a problem solver in about two seconds. After that he just puts it on the table with his other files to ‘figure out later’. It’s quite strange really.

Harold/Rose

I was really sad with the scene of Rose booking the tickets to Africa. She was really prepared to not be around anymore. She was really seeing life as something she was not going to be apart of. I do find it quite funny that Harold immediately thinks that all the unusual charges are a result of a fraudulent credit charging. Yeah, it could be fraudulent charges. But eleven thousand dollars? And all to one place and with plane tickets. That would be fairly exact. Doesn’t Harold know that thieves charge little things so the owner doesn’t raise suspicion until it’s too late? Oh Harold, ye of little faith in the common con artist!

I really do side with Rose in her inability to connect with the person she is without being the mayor. She’s been the mayor for how many years? And even the little we saw her do that position, she had little effort in doing it. It was her enjoyment of making sure the town was run correctly. And it was. That naysayer Patty the Pimple head Moron? Who thinks that she could do a better job than Rose? Well I guess the Neanderthals of the Everwood community. I guess they had a right to vote another way given Rose’s previous year’s battle with cancer and by the time voting came around, it was unsure if the cancer was still inside of her or she was in remission. I’d just love for that woman to give Rose back her position in reflection of the good job Rose has done and the pitiful job that other woman lived up to do.

Okay, we know that Harold lives in the 1950s. The sweaters, the old style speech. It’s clear that he hasn’t seen a decade without sock hops or poodle skirts. But when does he bring it on himself to find a job for Rose. As if Rose is so incapable of finding a job with the good standing she has in the community? I know Harold means well. But a list? I mean put her in a wheel chair and sing for quarters at Sam’s. I mean she’s not a robot. She can do things on her own Harold, after all…it’s a new CENTURY!

And Harold becomes the doting husband again and takes control when it’s needed. They finally get to go to Africa! See, you don’t have to almost die from cancer for reason to go to Africa. JUST GO!

Amy/Reid

I can’t keep up with Reid changing his mind all the time. I know that Reid has this whole medical school thing going on. But really? Can Amy come with him on a date to the library. As a study date? There’s always ways of getting around med school studies and it still count as dating. Either Reid has the worst time management skills or he’s just really not that brokenhearted over not really being with Amy.
{EphramAmy}
patricia
Old 01-19-2011, 11:54 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Patricia, did you watch episode 405? That one is fantastic.

Quote:
So when did Jake think Andy’s feelings for Nina were just going to go away or disappear? Did Jake actually have an idea that Andy would stand by and let nothing happen. Jake knew long before, even admitted it to Andy that Andy had feelings for Nina. And he still had this grand surprise when he found out Andy kissed her.
I guess Jake felt that even if Andy had feelings for Nina...Nina appeared to have chosen Jake...so Andy should really not act on his feelings. I guess Jake realized that he's no competition for Andy and felt threatened by that kiss.

Quote:
Up until then I don’t think that Ephram really knew what piano lessons did for Kyle or for himself all that time ago. Kyle may be a jerk, well yeah, he is a jerk. But he has passion for piano just like Ephram still does. And both of them use sarcasm as way of letting piano not seem as big as it, but it’s apart of them.
It is so amazing how similar those two were (although Ephram was much more likable). It's amazing how arrogant Kyle was about his talent, but at the same time, how much he really needed Ephram.

Quote:
I know Andy and Ephram have this honesty thing going on. But does that honesty extend to Amy as well? IMO, I don’t think it was Andy’s place to say anything.
I totally agree with you here. I can see that Andy was trying to shelter Ephram and not have him build his hopes up. But..I kind of wish that Andy hadn't told him. You're right, Ephram would eventually find out for himself.

Quote:
I love Hannah for trying to clean up the apartment. But it’s a lost cause. But we do know how Hannah feels about lost causes. She has to help them, feed them…clothe them and send them on their way. And then there’s the apartment. Does the word quarantine mean anything to anyone?
Hannah was cute in this scene. And what a slob Amy is!
Quote:
I did really enjoy Amy’s realization that she can ask a boy out on a date. She looked shocked that she could. “I’ve never asked a boy out before.”. Like we’ve suddenly went back hundreds of years when girls weren’t so forward and wouldn’t ask out a boy.
I guess if you have Amy's attributes....you don't often have the need to ask the guy out.

Quote:
Poor Ephram, always distracted by Amy. I think Kyle has some issues with how the whole academic process is handled. Who taught him that filling out ANYTHING in pencil was okay? He is so sure he’s better than anyone to get into Julliard and he’s doing these things that most people who don’t belong at Julliard already know. It’s like there’s this desperate need to get out of Everwood, away from everyone he’ll do anything to do it. And he’s so anxious to prove to everyone that he can do it, he messes up on other really important things.
Yes, poor Ephram. Not only was he distracted by seeing Amy kiss Reid....but he had to listen to obnoxious, rude, whining Kyle!

Quote:
I do give Ephram credit for the ski lift and the piano playing in the lobby that got them kicked out. Kyle made fifty bucks. If he could stay, I’m sure Julliard application would’ve been paid for and maybe a trip to New York to visit the school too. But alas, maybe another time. It gave Kyle the confidence he so lacked when playing the piano.
It was wonderful of Ephram to plan the ski lift trip. He knew that Kyle had financial problems...he knew that Kyle was proud. So, this little excursion was such a good idea...it enabled the two of them to open up and get to know each other better and it enabled Kyle to make some of the money on his own. It was a really sneaky/clever plan.

Quote:
This whole song and dance about therapy is really…really fricken fracken IRRITATING!
I totally agree. I think that whole scene was ridiculous. Poor Andy...what he would do for Nina!

Quote:
Okay, we know that Harold lives in the 1950s. The sweaters, the old style speech. It’s clear that he hasn’t seen a decade without sock hops or poodle skirts. But when does he bring it on himself to find a job for Rose. As if Rose is so incapable of finding a job with the good standing she has in the community? I know Harold means well. But a list? I mean put her in a wheel chair and sing for quarters at Sam’s. I mean she’s not a robot. She can do things on her own Harold, after all…it’s a new CENTURY!
I guess this was Harold's way of being a really supportive husband. He really was a terrific husband. The two of them were very loving to each other and such a team.

Quote:
I can’t keep up with Reid changing his mind all the time. I know that Reid has this whole medical school thing going on. But really? Can Amy come with him on a date to the library. As a study date? There’s always ways of getting around med school studies and it still count as dating. Either Reid has the worst time management skills or he’s just really not that brokenhearted over not really being with Amy
Do you want Reid to find time to date Amy? I just wanted Reid to go away!
Old 01-19-2011, 05:01 PM
Master Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patricia
I really wish we had gotten to see more of Kyle's mom and even more of Kyle personally. I guess since the character was all about his effect on Ephram, it didn't make sense to see much more of his mom. Unfortunately. A lot more interesting than some of the other mothers who make an appearance this season.

Quote:
I liked their field trip. Reminded me of the jazz club that Ephram went to. His teacher didn’t care about a date or whatever was going on in Ephram’s personal life. He just wanted Ephram exposed to a different type of music. And Ephram was. Even though the date was crap because the first of many times, Laney discovered that Ephram didn’t want any other girl besides Amy. Hmm, nothing much changes in Everwood, does it?

I loved their trip too, and good point about the confidence it gave Kyle to play piano like that and make some money. I feel this episode, with that field trip, is where Kyle finally lets Ephram in. A little bit, because doesn't he joke about something about not wanting to hug Ephram? Typically Kyle. Still, it's good to see that he's able to open himself up a little bit and start a friendship with Ephram.

Quote:
But when does he bring it on himself to find a job for Rose. As if Rose is so incapable of finding a job with the good standing she has in the community? I know Harold means well. But a list? I mean put her in a wheel chair and sing for quarters at Sam’s. I mean she’s not a robot. She can do things on her own Harold, after all…it’s a new CENTURY!
Harold and Amy both like their lists, so I didn't mind this at all. As Betty says, Harold was being a great husband, supportive, here. As well, like I said with Amy and him, they like projects and Harold decided to make Rose finding a job his project. He means well and I think that's the most important thing. Amy could make Hannah her project once in a while, and I felt the same thing, she's capable of doing things on her own...but it's really the thought that counts with them. It's how they show how much they care about someone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Betty
I guess if you have Amy's attributes....you don't often have the need to ask the guy out.
Exactly. It reminded me of Rachel from Friends, how shocked she was that she could ask a guy out in her late 20s. Girls like Rachel and Amy don't really have to do that.

A lot of S4 to me, though, is seeing Amy out of her element. Not popular, struggling to find friends, relationships, etc so I like her discovering new things like this, that you can actually ask a guy out. As a guy, just let me say, we love that, because it means we don't have to be the nervous ones asking the girl out all the time!
“[People] talk to me about these characters as if they’re real, and they’re not real, but they’ve become real...I really think, shows like this one, you have an attachment to them. They’re like friends you check in on."
-Greg Berlanti on Everwood
Old 01-20-2011, 11:07 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by 'Tos (View Post)
A lot of S4 to me, though, is seeing Amy out of her element. Not popular, struggling to find friends, relationships, etc so I like her discovering new things like this, that you can actually ask a guy out. As a guy, just let me say, we love that, because it means we don't have to be the nervous ones asking the girl out all the time!
I feel this episode is an eye opening experience. At Everwood HS, Amy was accepted by everyone. She never found a group she didn't like or a group that didn't like her. And this time it was completely different. Especially since they were older than her and and could go out to clubs. Reminds me of when Madison and her friends went out on her birthday and Ephram was only 18 and couldn't go. Not like some of her friends wouldn't have minded.

Quote:
Originally Posted by everwoodfan52 (View Post)
Patricia, did you watch episode 405? That one is fantastic.
I think so, I'm sure I did. The only episode I missed was 4x03 but that one I did end up watching. Nothing monumental IMO though

Quote:
Do you want Reid to find time to date Amy? I just wanted Reid to go away!
OH GOD NO! It has nothing to do with Amy, I just don't trust him. He's too...goody-goody. Always having a way out in things and has that way about him that he's over confident about himself. And I have no use for him. So the sooner he leaves, the better. He does leave in Season 4 and doesn't stay until the end, right?

Quote:
It was wonderful of Ephram to plan the ski lift trip. He knew that Kyle had financial problems...he knew that Kyle was proud. So, this little excursion was such a good idea...it enabled the two of them to open up and get to know each other better and it enabled Kyle to make some of the money on his own. It was a really sneaky/clever plan.
I think with Kyle's passion for music, he didn't allow himself to really get to know people. There are others out there who will always make fun of someone. And for Kyle being kind of loner, obviously very over confident. I can see how that would intimidate other people and put people off. But Ephram is the first person and probably the only person who shares his gift of music and the passion for it and the first person who's taken an interest in getting to know Kyle to just get to know him and get inside his head to make the music better. I get an idea from Kyle's mom talking to Ephram that she has no idea to relate to her child. And it's not anyone's fault, but for someone who doesn't know something trying to relate to someone who knows everything about that subject...relating is very tricky.

Quote:
Hannah was cute in this scene. And what a slob Amy is!
I can. Look at Bright. Who knew that maybe they have something in common after all. When Bright got a look at the house, even he was shocked. So you know there has to be something to be said for that.

Quote:
It is so amazing how similar those two were (although Ephram was much more likable). It's amazing how arrogant Kyle was about his talent, but at the same time, how much he really needed Ephram.
As I remember, Ephram was very arrogant when Season 1 started. Although his arrogance really related to doing somethin better than Andy and proving to everyone that he is really good. I think Kyle has such a high expectation for himself, that anything he play has to reach above that and he gets really distracted by his passion for when he doesn't succeed.
{EphramAmy}
patricia

Last edited by break the window; 01-20-2011 at 11:17 PM
Old 01-20-2011, 11:16 PM
Fan Forum Hero

dp
{EphramAmy}
patricia
Old 01-21-2011, 06:37 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Quote:
I think so, I'm sure I did.
If you have watched episode 405, you would definitely remember! Me, on the hand, are getting confused with the episodes, because it's been a while since I've watch. I'm going to have to rewatch.

About 405...if I do remember correctly...it was a monumental episode which included a huge declaration by Hannah and a huge declaration by Ephram during a beautiful campfire scene.
I'd love to hear your thoughts on this episode, Patricia.
Old 01-21-2011, 09:28 PM
Fan Forum Hero

I have notes on 4.05...so I guess I did watch it

is it where Amy/Hannah are costume shopping for the halloween party that Amy thought Reid invited her to as a date.
{EphramAmy}
patricia
Old 01-22-2011, 12:45 AM
Master Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by a creative one (View Post)
I have notes on 4.05...so I guess I did watch it

is it where Amy/Hannah are costume shopping for the halloween party that Amy thought Reid invited her to as a date.
Just a quick post to say that that is episode five, yes. So you've definitely seen it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Betty
If you have watched episode 405, you would definitely remember! Me, on the hand, are getting confused with the episodes, because it's been a while since I've watch. I'm going to have to rewatch.
Happens to the best of us. How do I know? Because you are the best of us. *suck up*
“[People] talk to me about these characters as if they’re real, and they’re not real, but they’ve become real...I really think, shows like this one, you have an attachment to them. They’re like friends you check in on."
Old 01-22-2011, 12:48 AM
Fan Forum Hero

way to be modest, Tos!
{EphramAmy}
patricia
Old 01-22-2011, 06:09 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Yup, it takes the best to know the best.

Patricia, I only asked about 405 because you didn't start a thread for it, so I thought that you has missed it. This is the one in which Hannah tells Bright that she isn't going to have sex until she's married and Andy and Ephram have a beautiful campfire talk in which he says that he's still in love with Amy.
Old 01-22-2011, 02:09 PM
Fan Forum Hero

I guess I totally missed putting up my review for that. Some episodes I didn't label with episode numbers, so I guess I just skipped over it not thinking anything of it.

I do remember taking notes for the campfire scene and how wonerful it felt to have Andy/Ephram talking about Ephram's feelings for Amy. That's taken a long time to get to without Ephram having this hidden agenda to hurt Andy.

I'll be sure to start a thread for it when I get home later tonight! I just love Harold in his santa claus long johns!
{EphramAmy}
patricia
Old 01-22-2011, 11:48 PM
Master Fan

Like Betty, I can't wait to read your S5 thoughts as well, Patricia.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patricia
I do remember taking notes for the campfire scene and how wonerful it felt to have Andy/Ephram talking about Ephram's feelings for Amy. That's taken a long time to get to without Ephram having this hidden agenda to hurt Andy.
They haven't talked about Amy in this way since maybe S1? And even then, it was more Andy trying to get a peak into his son's life. Now, Ephram is opening up to Andy himself. They're on equal grounds finally.
Old 01-23-2011, 12:50 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Equal grounds and then Ephram opening about (in a later episode) about his baby and it was just nice to see them by the fire just talking. and notice how both of them had their feet up on the coffee table?
{EphramAmy}
patricia
Old 01-24-2011, 01:34 PM
Master Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by a creative one (View Post)
Equal grounds and then Ephram opening about (in a later episode) about his baby and it was just nice to see them by the fire just talking. and notice how both of them had their feet up on the coffee table?
Did you ever think at the end of S3 that they would be able to have a pleasant, calm conversation about his baby and about what Andy did and how Ephram forgives him? It's so great. All that pain....maybe it was worth it in a way to bring them back together like this.
Closed Thread   Post New Thread