Everwood Episode Discussion #404: Pieces of Me

Pieces of Me

Episode Airdate: October 20, 2005
{EphramAmy}
patricia

Last edited by jediwands; 09-22-2022 at 10:02 PM
Old 01-17-2011, 03:00 AM
Fan Forum Hero

I contined with 4.04 because I had problems with getting episode 4.03 and I though it's only one episode, so I might have missed a couple of things that mostly I'll figure out in the end.

Ephram/Andy:

It is so refreshing that Ephram and Andy can be civilized and even have humors chats every now and then. I like that Ephram is still taking charge in his life and Andy is letting him do it. Maybe Andy is finally growing up too. And Ephram can’t ever sell the microwave. That’s Andy’s one connection to gourmet cooking lol.

Ephram:

I think Ephram is using Piano Lessons as something more than making some extra cash. We all know that Everwood is a small town and if Ephram really looked for a job, he could find one pretty easily. He wasn’t looking for any sort of career. He was just looking for some extra cash, which is not a monumentally hard thing to find, especially as a college student. I think Ephram taking the path of piano lessons is way to self-consciously keep piano in his life. I mean the first time he sat at the piano and played, just to show Kyle how it was done was like Andy stepping back into the surgical room after being gone for a year maybe more. It’s his passion, it takes him to other places where he feels good about himself and he feels at peace. Nothing else offers him that. I think Ephram was running away from piano because piano reminded him of Julliard and Julliard reminded him of the audition he skipped out on because he was mad at Andy and we know the rest of the song and dance to that story.

Reid:

I don’t know, I just don’t like him. He has this exterior where he’s a hard working med student and cares about making his end up of the apartment bargain. But there’s something there. Like he’s really gay and using Amy as a ploy. He’s cheating on her. I mean how many med students study [I]that[I] much? I know it’s a hard thing, but as much as Reid studies, he should be able to teach the class. And he just doesn’t look right. I don’t find him cute at all, even if he decides to go half commando to breakfast, which is really uncool even if it’s with the guys. I’ll be glad when he’s gone, hopefully it’s soon!

Harold/Rose

I’m glad someone finally stood up to Harold and called him out on what he was doing. He wasn’t just campaigning for Rose, he was doing something…anything to get out of the thoughts of the cancer. And Harold wanted to do something for her. He wanted to prove to her and to himself that he’s there. It broke Harold to the core to know that there was something inside of Rose that he couldn’t identify or cure. He’s a man of modern and future medical practices. And it wasn’t like he ever had to work before. Rose never had opponents before. I never really thought Everwood had elections since the previous seasons she always had been the mayor and no one ever said anything. I guess they may not have had one since Rose ran unopposed and no one dared to run against her except Patty Payton. Who is that lady? Do we ever meet her?

And Edna started making calls. That speaks volumes right there. I’m glad her and Harold are on such better terms than they were just a few seasons before.

What was the deal with the town meeting? What did Rose and Harold think was going to happen? That the voters would ask where the water supply was going to go? Or how long the post office would be open on Christmas Eve? Even in a not so small knit Everwood community, the town would know if their mayor had a condition such as cancer. They are quite worried. And they should be. They depend on the mayor to make decisions about the town. And if she is in the hospital all the time, where are their decisions really being delegated to? Normally the townspeople of Everwood are nuts, but tonight they were right. They had a right to ask those questions if they were going to put faith in Rose that the cancer would not affect her job. She couldn’t have known so how could the townspeople have given her a job when she didn’t even know the fate of her time on earth.

And I never thought Rose was lose. Rose not the mayor of Everwood just isn’t right.

Kyle/Ephram:

Is Kyle just not the spitting image of Ephram when they first moved to Everwood. He was opposed to all direction. He had this ability to know that he had the gift of piano and never wanted lessons. And I do know Kyle’s arc later in the season, so him being depressed and wanting out of Everwood and his reasons why don’t really shock me. The one thing that’s different and I never thought it would be an issue is that Andy has unlimited means to help Ephram further his gift for the piano. Who knew it was a hundred dollars just to apply for Julliard. And chances are if it’s denied, you don’t get the money back. It’s quite expensive. And then the lessons. I doubt Ephram is charging the rate of a real teacher would charge, but it’s probably fairly reasonable.

Jake/Hannah:

This whole Jake and the house of Nina or whatever, it’s really annoying. And the fact that he wanted to make Bright and Hannah stay for dinner. That just bugged me in so many ways. What right does he have to make Hannah do anything. And Bright’s not even living there, he has no ties to have dinner there at any rate. And him getting mad about a twenty four hour cancellation policy. Talk about stepping over grounds. I think Jake is just such a loss in control that he’s finding in anything and everyone to control. He’s controlling Edna at the office with the millions of botox hungry residents of Everwood. Who knew that those people knew what botox was and much less that they wanted to be injected with it. Quite an experience. Everwoodians do nothing but amaze me every time. I applauded when Hannah basically told him off. I’m glad she did. Even though she did back down at first because Hannah doesn’t like confrontations, she stood her ground. She’s right! Jake isn’t even engaged to Nina and already he’s acting like the house is his. I’m sure he treats Sam like his own son all the time. And that’s not right even though Carl is gay and possibly the cruelest guy ever. I just hate Jake and his ways. He has this idea for something and everyone has to follow. But in Hannah’s ideas…”says who.”

I did like the Tofu...Topher mention though. Very nice

Andy/Delia:

I like that Delia wants to have a bat mitzvah when she’s twelve. Thinking about Ephram having one is quite scary. He’s never really seen as the partying type of guy. Except that one time at the party where he got totally wasted and came home drunk in the middle of the night during season 1.

Andy/Ephram/Patients:

The father and the daughter, I never caught their names. I think their situation of him lying to her about a twin sister and never telling her about only having one kidney gave Andy an insight on how one secret could affect someone’s life. He certainly kept a big secret from Ephram, something that did affect his life and still does. But one thing that I didn’t really vibe with was Andy saying he was forgiven. When did Ephram forgive Andy for lying to him about Madison and the baby? When did this happen. Last I checked they were bickering, was it all about Madison? It seemed to be all about that in Season 3? And that’s all they talked about was trust and telling the truth. So whoever reads this, answer me this…if forgiveness is truth here, when do you think Ephram forgave Andy?
{EphramAmy}
patricia

Last edited by break the window; 01-17-2011 at 03:07 AM
Old 01-17-2011, 12:20 PM
Fan Forum Hero

First of all...thanks so much for starting this thread. Second of all..try your hardest to watch episode 4.03 because it introduces Kyle and it's important to see how this all began. Plus..it's a good episode.

Quote:

That’s Andy’s one connection to gourmet cooking lol.
Yeah...how to warm up take out.

Quote:
Ephram:

I think Ephram is using Piano Lessons as something more than making some extra cash. We all know that Everwood is a small town and if Ephram really looked for a job, he could find one pretty easily. He wasn’t looking for any sort of career. He was just looking for some extra cash, which is not a monumentally hard thing to find, especially as a college student. I think Ephram taking the path of piano lessons is way to self-consciously keep piano in his life. I mean the first time he sat at the piano and played, just to show Kyle how it was done was like Andy stepping back into the surgical room after being gone for a year maybe more. It’s his passion, it takes him to other places where he feels good about himself and he feels at peace. Nothing else offers him that. I think Ephram was running away from piano because piano reminded him of Julliard and Julliard reminded him of the audition he skipped out on because he was mad at Andy and we know the rest of the song and dance to that story.
You're absolutely right with this theory, Patricia. Ephram needed to get back to piano. It's kind of sad that he's helping someone else achieve the dream that he missed out on. You need to watch episode 3, Patricia, to see how much he has been affected by what happened in Manhattan...how painful piano is to him.

Quote:
Reid:

I don’t know, I just don’t like him. He has this exterior where he’s a hard working med student and cares about making his end up of the apartment bargain. But there’s something there. Like he’s really gay and using Amy as a ploy. He’s cheating on her. I mean how many med students study [I]that[I] much? I know it’s a hard thing, but as much as Reid studies, he should be able to teach the class. And he just doesn’t look right. I don’t find him cute at all, even if he decides to go half commando to breakfast, which is really uncool even if it’s with the guys. I’ll be glad when he’s gone, hopefully it’s soon!
Don't hold your breath. Yeah, I didn't think Reid was that great looking either. Of course, I wasn't looking at him with an open mind. I saw him as a roadblock to Amy and Ephram..so no matter what he did to his hair or Abs...I wasn't impressed.

Quote:
And Edna started making calls. That speaks volumes right there. I’m glad her and Harold are on such better terms than they were just a few seasons before
That was definitely a major breakthrough for those two.
Quote:

What was the deal with the town meeting? What did Rose and Harold think was going to happen? That the voters would ask where the water supply was going to go? Or how long the post office would be open on Christmas Eve? Even in a not so small knit Everwood community, the town would know if their mayor had a condition such as cancer. They are quite worried. And they should be. They depend on the mayor to make decisions about the town. And if she is in the hospital all the time, where are their decisions really being delegated to?
Yes, this is true. They really did have a right to be afraid to elect someone who was ill. Even though it's Rose...who knew how sick she really was and how well she would be able to fulfill her duties?
Quote:
Kyle/Ephram:

Is Kyle just not the spitting image of Ephram when they first moved to Everwood. He was opposed to all direction. He had this ability to know that he had the gift of piano and never wanted lessons. And I do know Kyle’s arc later in the season, so him being depressed and wanting out of Everwood and his reasons why don’t really shock me. The one thing that’s different and I never thought it would be an issue is that Andy has unlimited means to help Ephram further his gift for the piano. Who knew it was a hundred dollars just to apply for Julliard. And chances are if it’s denied, you don’t get the money back. It’s quite expensive. And then the lessons. I doubt Ephram is charging the rate of a real teacher would charge, but it’s probably fairly reasonable.
I don't know what Ephram is charging his other students, but he's charging Kyle nothing....which shows what kind of person Ephram is. Kyle is a lot like Ephram and this will teach Ephram so much about himself.

Quote:
So whoever reads this, answer me this…if forgiveness is truth here, when do you think Ephram forgave Andy?
I never could figure out when the exact moment that Ephram forgave Andy was. I guess it was just a gradual process.
Old 01-17-2011, 01:06 PM
Master Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Betty
First of all...thanks so much for starting this thread. Second of all..try your hardest to watch episode 4.03 because it introduces Kyle and it's important to see how this all began. Plus..it's a good episode.
Good advice, take heed Patricia. I think Kyle debuts this episode here, but yes, try to watch it. Or if not, you can read Thief's excellent recap here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patricia
It is so refreshing that Ephram and Andy can be civilized and even have humors chats every now and then. I like that Ephram is still taking charge in his life and Andy is letting him do it. Maybe Andy is finally growing up too.
Yes, they both needed to grow up from S3. That's the exciting thing about Andy: as Treat says in one of the commentaries, most adults on TV that are his age are fully formed. He's not, he still has to learn, still has flaws, still has to grow up. That's real. I personally think we grow and learn until the very end.

Yes, spot on with the theory that Ephram wants to keep piano in his life. I think it shows that growth that he can go back to it, even if it's hard.

Agreed with you both on Reid too. Right now, he's just eye candy, and apparently not even very good eye candy either!

Quote:
And Edna started making calls. That speaks volumes right there. I’m glad her and Harold are on such better terms than they were just a few seasons before
Me too. Just like how in the other thread you pointed out that Andy and Ephram can be so good at hurting each other like they did in S1, Harold and Edna are so good at that too. They're not doing that anymore, though. They're an actual mother and son. FINALLY!

The town's reaction over Rose reminded me so much of their reaction to Linda and her HIV. The Abbott's just don't have much luck with keeping medical secrets.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Betty
I don't know what Ephram is charging his other students, but he's charging Kyle nothing....which shows what kind of person Ephram is. Kyle is a lot like Ephram and this will teach Ephram so much about himself.

I think Ephram began forgiving Andy when he was in Europe, but I agree with Betty, it's a gradual process. It's hard to pin down when exactly he fully forgave Andy.
“[People] talk to me about these characters as if they’re real, and they’re not real, but they’ve become real...I really think, shows like this one, you have an attachment to them. They’re like friends you check in on."
-Greg Berlanti on Everwood
Old 01-18-2011, 03:54 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by 'Tos (View Post)
Good advice, take heed Patricia. I think Kyle debuts this episode here, but yes, try to watch it. Or if not, you can read
alright, I'll watch that episode...if really have to

Quote:
Yes, they both needed to grow up from S3. That's the exciting thing about Andy: as Treat says in one of the commentaries, most adults on TV that are his age are fully formed. He's not, he still has to learn, still has flaws, still has to grow up. That's real. I personally think we grow and learn until the very end.
that really made me think of when Andy really stopped living. We know he really only existed when Julia was alive. And nothing out of the operating room made sense. I think once Andy got his degree, he stopped seeing how the world really lived. So therefore, twenty years later I guess, he really didn't know how the world lived. How kids related to their parents. How kids need to rebel and gain their inependence and maybe not leave the country to do it. I do believe Andy learned that skill...just a bit later in life is all.

Quote:
Me too. Just like how in the other thread you pointed out that Andy and Ephram can be so good at hurting each other like they did in S1, Harold and Edna are so good at that too. They're not doing that anymore, though. They're an actual mother and son. FINALLY!
I sorta miss the antagonizing banter between Harold and Rose. I found it really interesting. Harold was obviously upset about Enda moving on too quickly after Senior passed. But it was their way of communcation. And Edna giving out instulting regards is usually quite funny to watch and hear.

And Harold didn't just need a receptionist to believe that he could do it. Not that either of them will ever admit it. Harold just needed his mother. He needed someone with guidance to tell him it was going to be okay and help him out. Even though I know that Harold was throwing himself into the campaign to avoid dealing with more of Rose's chemo and to make up for not finding the cancer sooner, he's a doctor...that's wht he does.

So how many people believe that evn after Rose's cancer went away (yes i'm passed that episode too lol) that Harold still felt guilty about not recognizing the symptoms sooner and identifying the cancer?

Quote:
The town's reaction over Rose reminded me so much of their reaction to Linda and her HIV. The Abbott's just don't have much luck with keeping medical secrets.
just medical secrets? that town can't kep secrets from no one. You see how Ephram and Madison's secet came out and it was just between a few people. And you gotta know that the residents of Everwood are starved for gossip. So anything they can sniff out hey will...with a shovel in hand.[/QUOTE]
{EphramAmy}
patricia
Old 01-19-2011, 05:07 PM
Master Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patricia
alright, I'll watch that episode...if really have to
You do! Every episode, moment, scene! Everything!

Quote:
that really made me think of when Andy really stopped living. We know he really only existed when Julia was alive. And nothing out of the operating room made sense. I think once Andy got his degree, he stopped seeing how the world really lived. So therefore, twenty years later I guess, he really didn't know how the world lived. How kids related to their parents. How kids need to rebel and gain their inependence and maybe not leave the country to do it. I do believe Andy learned that skill...just a bit later in life is all.
Hmm, that's an excellent point. He kind of has to discover everything again, especially how to be a parent. We saw in one of the early episodes that disconnect between when he was a kid and when Ephram is a kid when he said he would have killed to have learned how to drive a boat and Ephram didn't. Things have changed.

And I very much agree that Andy did learn how kids are now. Better late than never.

I do agree about missing the Harold/Edna banter a little. I like their grown up relationship very much, but that doesn't mean they can't playfully go at each other for old times' sake.

Quote:
So how many people believe that evn after Rose's cancer went away (yes i'm passed that episode too lol) that Harold still felt guilty about not recognizing the symptoms sooner and identifying the cancer?
*raises hand* I think that Harold will always feel guilty over that, always kick himself over it. That`s still one of the saddest Harold scenes for me in S3, where he basically pours his heart out to Andy over not noticing the signs despite being a doctor. Gosh, I can`t even imagine what he went through.
“[People] talk to me about these characters as if they’re real, and they’re not real, but they’ve become real...I really think, shows like this one, you have an attachment to them. They’re like friends you check in on."
-Greg Berlanti on Everwood
Old 01-20-2011, 11:21 PM
Fan Forum Hero

and I believe Harold can remember diagnosing patients with some form of cancer by regognizing the signs.

Harold wanted so bad not to believe that his adorable Rose could ever have something wrong with her.
{EphramAmy}
patricia
Old 12-26-2017, 09:19 PM
Fan Forum Star

This episode was a bit on the slow side for me....

It was nice to see Delia again. I also love the continued interaction between Bright and Ephram, it’s fun watching them be roommates because we get to see more interactions. I also loved the scenes between Bright and Delia, they have a cute friendship. Delia randomly wanting a Bat Mitzvah was a bit strange to me. Where did that come from? Since when has she been all that into her religion?

Oh Steve McQueen! (Jeremy from TVD) Loved finally seeing him pop up as Kyle. I am really anxious to see his storyline. Kyle was annoying already, bossing Ephram around. He’s there to help you dude, calm down. I liked that they came to an understanding at the end. But Ephram not getting paid is kind of sucky. Amy's advice to Ephram about playing and that he was playing long before he met her or Madison I think was the perfect thing to say.

Jake and Hannah’s conversation was VERY awkward. I felt that Hannah was a bit rude to Jake. Even if Jake isn’t her dad and even if he is “mooching” off Nina he is still the adult and Hannah is living in their house with them. She needs to at the very least let them know when she is not going to be home, like Jake asked. At the same time, the way that Jake was talking to her was very passive aggressive. It was obvious he was annoyed with her and she didn’t react well to that. But I think it was Nina’s place to be the one to talk to her. I feel for Jake because I understand why he is confused being a “step” parent of sorts.

Rose's storyline was a bit boring to me. It sucks that the people in the town didnt want to give her another shot just because of her cancer. I am so happy that it's gone and I loved what Bright said to her about how having cancer doesnt have to be the most defining thing about her. That was a great scene between those two.
Old 01-02-2018, 10:32 AM
Fan Forum Legend

Moderator of ...
Everwood

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexa (View Post)
This episode was a bit on the slow side for me....

It was nice to see Delia again. I also love the continued interaction between Bright and Ephram, it’s fun watching them be roommates because we get to see more interactions. I also loved the scenes between Bright and Delia, they have a cute friendship. Delia randomly wanting a Bat Mitzvah was a bit strange to me. Where did that come from? Since when has she been all that into her religion?
Season 1 we were reminded of Julia being Jewish but I always got the feeling since Andy was Christian that Ephram and Delia were not practicing Judaism, although were serious about never forgetting their mother and faith. If anything, I considered them more Christian. Like when Ephram/Amy marry, I see Ephram being perfectly fine marrying in a Christian church for Amy and also, for Andy's side of the family. You are right, it was weird.

Quote:
Oh Steve McQueen! (Jeremy from TVD) Loved finally seeing him pop up as Kyle. I am really anxious to see his storyline. Kyle was annoying already, bossing Ephram around. He’s there to help you dude, calm down. I liked that they came to an understanding at the end. But Ephram not getting paid is kind of sucky. Amy's advice to Ephram about playing and that he was playing long before he met her or Madison I think was the perfect thing to say.
Agreed and love Amy's advice to Ephram.

How was it seeing Steve McQueen (Jeremy from TVD) in this role? It never affected me since as you know I haven't seen TVD yet (though I basically have through you haha) but just wondering if it feels weird for you? Do you still see him as Jeremy while watching him as Kyle?

Quote:
Jake and Hannah’s conversation was VERY awkward. I felt that Hannah was a bit rude to Jake. Even if Jake isn’t her dad and even if he is “mooching” off Nina he is still the adult and Hannah is living in their house with them. She needs to at the very least let them know when she is not going to be home, like Jake asked. At the same time, the way that Jake was talking to her was very passive aggressive. It was obvious he was annoyed with her and she didn’t react well to that. But I think it was Nina’s place to be the one to talk to her. I feel for Jake because I understand why he is confused being a “step” parent of sorts.
I found the entire scene uncomfortable and weird for the reasons you stated.

Quote:
Rose's storyline was a bit boring to me. It sucks that the people in the town didnt want to give her another shot just because of her cancer. I am so happy that it's gone and I loved what Bright said to her about how having cancer doesnt have to be the most defining thing about her. That was a great scene between those two.
I love all Rose/Bright moments throughout the series and this one definitely didn't disappoint.
Old 01-02-2018, 03:08 PM
Fan Forum Star

Well its weird because I saw him as Kyle before I saw him as Jeremy, I just didnt remember that when I was watching TVD. But then, seeing him as Kyle, I remembered it was him. If that makes any sense.

He definitely matured on VPD and grew into a very attractive man but in season 1 he didnt look much different then he does here. TBH there is a lot of similarities as of now between Kyle and Jeremy. Both seem like sort of broody teens. I think I have to wait to see more of him to figure out their differences.
Old 01-03-2018, 10:27 AM
Fan Forum Legend

Moderator of ...
Everwood

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexa (View Post)
Well its weird because I saw him as Kyle before I saw him as Jeremy, I just didnt remember that when I was watching TVD. But then, seeing him as Kyle, I remembered it was him. If that makes any sense.

He definitely matured on VPD and grew into a very attractive man but in season 1 he didnt look much different then he does here. TBH there is a lot of similarities as of now between Kyle and Jeremy. Both seem like sort of broody teens. I think I have to wait to see more of him to figure out their differences.
Haha got it.

Nice that there are some similarities. I know my dad was floored when finding out that he is the Grandson of one of his favorite actors of all time, lol.
Old 01-03-2018, 10:59 PM
Fan Forum Star

yeah the name is definitely familiar. Weird lol.
Old 01-05-2018, 11:54 AM
Fan Forum Legend

Moderator of ...
Everwood

Yeah. LOL

I didn't know McQueen was on Chicago Fire for a while. Do you watch that show?
Old 01-05-2018, 09:21 PM
Fan Forum Star

Steven you mean? He was??? He seems too young but I wonder what his role was.

I dont watch, Ive seen 1 episode and it didnt grab me much so I didnt continue.
Old 01-06-2018, 07:32 AM
Master Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Apt (View Post)
Yeah. LOL

I didn't know McQueen was on Chicago Fire for a while. Do you watch that show?
His character was Jimmy Borrelli and he was firefighter candidate in the show. He has been in the show in the 4th season and little bit in the 5th. Apparently he leaves the show with an accident where he loses his left eye.

However I never got interested in Chicago Fire and while I knew the name of his character I have not watched his episodes.