Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Closed Thread   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Thread Tools
Old 05-10-2004, 11:30 PM
Extreme Fan

Episode Discussion: Episode #222 The Day is Done

I just had to add this cuz I can't find the thread anywhere...feel free to close this if I have missed it...I just had to discuss the season finale...

EPISODE DISCUSSION - Episode #222 The Day is Done

Monday , May 10 2004

EPHRAM MUST CHOOSE BETWEEN JULLIARD AND AMY - Ephram (Gregory Smith) is on cloud nine after being accepted into Julliard's summer program, but his emotions are sent into a tailspin when Amy shares her feelings for him and asks that he stay in Everwood for the summer. Meanwhile, Dr. Abbott's (Tom Amandes) family thinks he's gone off the deep end when he decides to open a bagel shop in response to losing his malpractice insurance, and Andy (Treat Williams) learns a shocking revelation about his family. Debra Mooney, John Beasley, Vivien Cardone, Chris Pratt and Stephanie Niznik also star. Marita Grabiak directed the episode written by Wendy Mericle & Patrick Sean Smith.

Here's my commentary on it -

I just had to post that the season finale this year has got to be one of my favourite episodes ever. I mean my heart was just a flutter seeing Ephram and Amy on the hill and then Amy on the plane...maybe cuz I'm such a big fan of Gregory/Emily, the chemistry was there, the way he looked at her and smiled without reservation when she told him that she was coming to NY with him...just beautiful...

This episode could have been the perfect episode if only they had included one thing: NINA! Yes, the ridiculous Madison storyline took up a lot of time so I could understand why she wasn't included but I missed her...I think Andy needed her esp. with the bombshell that Madison dropped on Andy...yes, we can all understand that how Andy decided to deal with the pregnancy was in the shades of grey but you can understand how he feels as a father, seeing his son's dreams just shatter if he knew...I felt bad that he blamed himself. As much as the pregnancy was not either Madison's or Ephram's fault, this whole thing could have been stopped if Madison just had the sense to stop it before it became something. She is an adult. An adult who was working for the Browns. She should have at least had the sense to stop working for them, despite Ephram's and Delia's pleas to stay before she started to date Ephram at least. Or better yet, not compromise her own position by getting involved with a 16 year old. Come on! She knew how fragile he is...the way he wears his heart on his sleeve...if she could have imagined this situation happening, would she have risked it? Ephram's still a boy...not even a man...he can't take care of himself, nonetheless a child...yes, I know a lot of people like Madison but if she REALLY wanted to be with him, she should have waited until he became a man...not done it in this way...letting Ephram decide that their relationship should have began...

Other than that, I think what thrilled me the MOST in the episode was the Bright/Delia moment...omg! I was just in awe...not only did Bright believe in soulmate for life concept but Delia basically "asked" him out...man, the summer will be interesting for them too...can you imagine all the little girls in her class being oh so jealous of Delia when they hear about her being at the movies with Bright? GO Delia!

Anyways, I'm glad that Ephram/Amy had their moment in the sun, their perfect summer before next season when the ***** hits the fan with the news of Madison being pregnant...I don't know what they will do then...

Cindy

Lex/Lana l Clark/Lois l Ryan/Summer l Ryan/Kirsten l Ephram/Amy l Bright/Delia l Bright/Hannah l Luke/Lorelai l Rory/Marty l Logan/Veronica l Charlie/Claire l Sawyer/Sun
Old 05-11-2004, 01:06 AM
Extreme Fan

ok

I feel we cant help who we fall in love with it just Happens but that's just my opinion. Anyway I liked tonight a lot also. But I have to say speaking as a guy I know Andy just wants to protect his son but I feel Ephram has every right to know a part of him is growing inside Madison. I know I would. I agree it would have been nice if Nina were in it. The E/A stuff was nice and I really do like Madison I cant help it I just do. Bright rules.
Old 05-11-2004, 01:16 AM
Master Fan

The Delia/Bright scene was so cute. I loved it.

And also the plane scene. It was great how Amy just started rambling about peanuts... The lighting was so beautiful too. I was on the phone and such during the episode so I need to rewatch it all on Sunday.
-Yellowcard-
Old 05-11-2004, 07:42 AM
Master Fan

Quote:
As much as the pregnancy was not either Madison's or Ephram's fault, this whole thing could have been stopped if Madison just had the sense to stop it before it became something. She is an adult. An adult who was working for the Browns. She should have at least had the sense to stop working for them, despite Ephram's and Delia's pleas to stay before she started to date Ephram at least. Or better yet, not compromise her own position by getting involved with a 16 year old. Come on! She knew how fragile he is...the way he wears his heart on his sleeve...if she could have imagined this situation happening, would she have risked it? Ephram's still a boy...not even a man...he can't take care of himself, nonetheless a child...yes, I know a lot of people like Madison but if she REALLY wanted to be with him, she should have waited until he became a man...not done it in this way...letting Ephram decide that their relationship should have began...
ITA with everything you said.

What's up with girls automatically being pregnant on TV shows these days anyway?The O.C,Everwood....this storyline is sooooooo not original.Plus,it gives quite a good message about condoms ::rolls eyes::: I really hate that S/L.

Oh and....I KNEW IT!I KNEW Harold would work with Andy!Hehe,that's gonna be so much fun to watch!
Old 05-11-2004, 07:56 AM
Passionate Fan

OK I loved last nights episode. Another good cliffhanger in what the hell is Madison going to decide to do, keep the baby or have the baby?

Will be on pins and needles until we learn her decision next season?

Andy- Wow. I am conflicted about his actions. I great part of me totally understands why he wants to keep this from Ephram. Ephram is so excited about .... life. he has a chance to fulfill two life long dreams, Juliard and Amy. But the other part of me thinks that Andy is just plain wrong for not telling him. This will especially true if Madison ends up keeping the baby. Ephram may only be a teen, but he has every right to know that he has a kid out there and he needs to take responsibility for that kid. As of yet, Madison will be the only one facing those consequences. I can say this though, whenever Ephram finds out... and he eventually will be it next season or when the show draws to an end, he is going to be one pissed off son. Andy will one day have to face the consequences of his choice to not tell Ephram. I know many are upset with this storyline and complaining about another teen preganacy storyline on the WB. But this is not the same. I think this storyline is less about teen preganacies and more about the relationship between father and son, ie Andy and Ephram who have come a long way since Season 1. .

About Andy's dreams, I am not sure what it was supposed to mean. Any guesses?

Dr. A- They could have done without the whole bagel shop stuff and cut to the conversation between him and Andy. Loved that next season the 2 will become partners.

Madison- I feel really bad for Madison. Andy just basically tried to buy her off. Yeah, he will support her financially, but who is going to be there for her? I don't see Madison keeping this kid, given her circumstances, but I think storyline wise, the writers should have her keep it.

Bright and Delia- Too cute beyond words. If only she was like 10 years older.

Ephram and Amy Though I still think it is way too soon, I was so ecited to see them try and work out their feelings and what to do about the summer. The picnic scene was great. During the entire scene with everyone saying goodbye at the bus station I was like where is Amy? Then presto she is on the plane about to leave with Ephram to go to NY. LOVED THAT SCENE!!!! Especially loved the look on Ephram's face when he realised she was actually coming to NY with him. Too bad we will not get to see any of it.

No Nina?

Well next season looks to be shaping up to be a another good season with the way they ended this season. We will get to see more Dr. A and Andy interaction now that they are partners, there will hopefully be lots of lovin between Ephram and Amy, plus we will be on pins and needles waiting to see what Madison choice was and the eventual revolation and teh consequences.

I can't wait.

Old 05-11-2004, 07:57 AM
Master Fan

Ugh... I really did not like this episode. It was kinda bad, like these new boards. (j/k)

Anyways- I am happy that Ephram and Amy are finally getting together but the episode boardered on cheese. I'm glad she went with him but it wasn't that believable.

As for the Ephram/Madison storyline a lot of people have been comparing it to OTH. But I don't they should. For one OTH is not even up to par with Everwood. OTH's writing is terrible but Everwoods writing is almost poetic. I think they handled the teen pregnancy issue much better than OTH has.

On the other hand I am bored with the theme. They need to write Madison out of the story, she really isn't relevant.

I like Delia and Bright they were really cute
Old 05-11-2004, 08:02 AM
Extreme Fan

Quote:
Originally posted by Houston
Madison- I feel really bad for Madison. Andy just basically tried to buy her off. Yeah, he will support her financially, but who is going to be there for her? I don't see Madison keeping this kid, given her circumstances, but I think storyline wise, the writers should have her keep it.

Bright and Delia- Too cute beyond words. If only she was like 10 years older.

Yeah I felt bad for Madison too, even though I'm not much of a fan of hers. I just wished that they had just ended it like it was...two people who fell in love and then decided to end it...I think it was good fo Ephram to fall in love with someone else before being with Amy (although I would have much preferred that person to be Laynie but whatever). I mean Madison served her purpose already, why hash out this horrible pregnancy storyline.

On the other hand, storyline wise, it would be REAL interesting if they have Madison keep the baby. That will have Ephram and Amy thrown for a loop...

Yeah I do agree that Ephram should know but I'm so sad about the reprocussions of Andy's decision...to think he has found his son only to lose him again...

Bright and Delia - no need for words. That was my favourite part of the episode. Period. But it totally makes me sad that they will never explore the Bright/Delia thing cuz the show will never run long enough for Delia to be old enough for Bright... and they are my favourite ship!

Cindy

Lex/Lana l Clark/Lois l Ryan/Summer l Ryan/Kirsten l Ephram/Amy l Bright/Delia l Bright/Hannah l Luke/Lorelai l Rory/Marty l Logan/Veronica l Charlie/Claire l Sawyer/Sun
Old 05-11-2004, 09:34 AM
New Fan

I'm already late for work, but I loved the season finale so much that I had to post on here before I left.

Shout out to Jerry D! This show is so much better than Dawson's Creek!!!!

OK, so first my dislikes. I started yelling at the TV when I realized all of our worst fears about the Madison situation were true. There is enough drama on the show to captivate us without a silly, trite storyline that may be used to defuse whatever is going on between Amy and Ephram right now next season. I really hope they don't go down the Dawson/Joey route, because Amy/Ephram really deserve a chance to explore their relationship which has been pending for the last two years.

And I wasn't a huge fan of Bright's little conversation with Ephram-- I mean come on! "soulmates"?? We all know that timing is a B*tch but it plays a huge role in when people are right for each other. Things change, people change. I seriously don't think Amy has ALWAYS been the right person for Ephram. If she had been, she wouldn't have treated him so badly first season. And I'm also not a big fan of people "staying" for other people-- we do need to develop a future for ourselves, ya know? it's not fair otherwise. And the fact that Nina wasn't in the episode kind of sucked... i loved Andy/Nina's interaction in the last episode...

HOWEVER... those were small in comparison to my loves of this episode. I loved all of the Ephram/Amy moments-- the awkward asking him to stay, regardless that the asking wasn't very fair, it was very sweet, realistic, and Amy KNEW she shouldn't be asking, but she wanted this so very much. That was very real to me. Then the picnic, Ephram struggling inside of himself, the love of his life or the life he's always dreamed of. Then asking her to wait for him-- SO SWEET! with other actors it might have been saccharine, but i think both of them pulled it off really well. Plus, i am really glad that he didn't stay behind for her. That just didn't make any sense for him to do. And then the last scene, I know logically it didn't make much sense for her to end up on the same plane/seating arrangement-- but the fact that she said she "wasn't good at waiting" -- I was like, way to go, woman! I'm the same way and I go for what I want. Screw waiting! I am glad that Amy is shown as a strong female character-- i thought this moment was done extremely well! I'm excited that they'll get 10 days together, although like someone else has already said, I'm sad that we won't get to see them.

And then my absolute favorite part of the episode-- the interactions between Dr. Brown and Dr. Abbott. I love how these two have a love/hate relationship, but how Dr. Brown has realized not to take Dr. Abbott seriously, how he's just naturally a spaz, but has a good heart underneath. I loved their interaction in the bagel shop, how Andy has been having these dreams and is wondering why his wife died, and what this all means. And Dr. Brown's surprisingly accurate and eloquent response. I loved how they resolved his bagel shop failing and are going into a partnership together (That will give some great fodder for next season!!!), but the BEST part, was the ending to the dream that Dr. Brown has been having. Way to pack a punch!!!! I love his wife's comment "It really scares me to think about what it would take to wake you up." I mean, it's TRUE... if she hadn't died, Dr. Brown wouldn't have taken such an interest in his children's upbringing and really become connected to them. And if he hadn't moved to Everwood, this dream may have very likely been reality. Not to say that her death happened for a reason, but that he needs to realize that much good came of it-- and that he has to look forward, not backward. OK that's my piece! Can't wait to read everyone else's commentary!
Old 05-11-2004, 09:56 AM
Part-Time Fan

Quote:
Originally posted by Christina81
I'm already late for work, but I loved the season finale so much that I had to post on here before I left...

And then my absolute favorite part of the episode -- the interactions between Dr. Brown and Dr. Abbott... surprisingly accurate and eloquent response... Not to say that her death happened for a reason, but that he needs to realize that much good came of it-- and that he has to look forward, not backward. OK that's my piece! Can't wait to read everyone else's commentary!
I am *AT* work so I have to be brief right now. More later.

Harold/Andy has always been my fave 'ship'. I'm a Cop/Buddy-Flick gal at heart (LOL).

I wanted to note that Andy had the same dream several times but never got to the end of it until he talked to Harold. It was Harold who pointed out that Andy was basically wishing for a life he never really had and probably never would have. He wanted to be part of a happy family that included Julia. But something traumatically huge had to happen to shake him out of his life the way it was... as Harold pointed out: the patients he didn't care about and the family he never had time for.

I'm telling myself this Madison mess is the price I have to pay in order to get the Harold/Andy partnership. Those two make quite a team... and there should be plenty of 'funny' plus some character development as well. For *that* I can't wait!!!

As a devout Haroldphile, my favorite quote of the episode (out of many good ones) and one of my faves of the series so far is one that seemed like a something of a fan 'shout-out' to me:

Quote:
from Andy to Harold-
But mostly, on days like today, I miss watching you screw up your life as much as I do. Because when you do it... it's much funnier."

-Aquillea

Last edited by Aquillea; 05-11-2004 at 10:02 AM
Old 05-11-2004, 10:31 AM
Absolute Fan

I haven't been watching Everwood regularly this season but I tuned in to watch last night's finale. I was thrilled that Ephram and Amy finally got together. But what was with the pregnant babysitter and Andy taking Ephram's right to know away? Oy.

Can't wait til next season, though!
Old 05-11-2004, 10:37 AM
Administrator

*Waves to Stela* It's been a long time!

I have a lot to say about this incredible episode, and I'll be posting my commentary tonight.

There are those who look at things the way they are and ask why - I dream of things that never were and ask why not. - Robert F. Kennedy
Old 05-11-2004, 11:15 AM
Fan Forum Star

Okay this episode was just.... I don't know really how I feel to be honest. Let's review:

Madison's dilemma/Andy ~ Ugh! Ugh! Ugh! There are no words for how much I hated this! First of all I KNEW that this was gonna happen as soon as they started having sex! Secondly I've never liked Madison so I didn't feel any sympathy for her last night, just annoyance. & now I resent her for putting Andy in this position Any way this shakes out Andy's screwed. I see good ole Maddie showing up in the future with Ephram's child on her hip & him being all shocked that he had a child & didn't know about it & being mad at Andy.. yadda yadda

Amy/Ephramd ~ I was kinda mad at Amy for expecting Ephram to give up his dream for her. It was really selfish of her to even ask. Although I understand where she was coming from I was SO glad Ephram said no & went anyway. He has to start living for himself. Bravo Ephram I was so proud.

Harold/Andy ~ Heee! Best. Storyline. Development. Ever. I can't wait to see them as partners next season.
Old 05-11-2004, 11:40 AM
Obsessed Fan

Does this mean Madison is pregnant? And what happened between Amy and Ephram? I missed it

Macrina was here...
Old 05-11-2004, 02:30 PM
Dedicated Fan

This is my speculation only.

Here is how I think Ephram will find out about the pregnancy.

Ephram and Amy will come back in the fall with a really strong and healthy relationship. The two will then decide to take things to the next level. Andy will find out and/or catch them making out heavily and he will have a talk with Ephram. The talk will turn into an argument, because Ephram won't understand why his dad is talking to him now.....since he has already had sex. Then through the heated argument Andy will yell something along the lines of "Because you weren't careful enough with Madison." Then Ephram will be in shock, telling Andy to explain what he just meant. Now the secret is out.

That is my speculation.
Old 05-11-2004, 03:32 PM
Loyal Fan

I also think that Harold will come into play. If he and Andy are equal partners, is there still a need for doctor/patient confidentiality between them? If not, and Harold finds out that Madison is pregnant, there's no way he's not going to "let" Amy sleep with Ephram.