Closed Thread   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Thread Tools
Old 02-08-2004, 02:50 PM
Addicted Fan

Episode Discussion: Episode 214 "No Sure Thing"

From thewb.com
"No Sure Thing"

Airs Monday, Feb. 9, 2004, 9pm EST/8 pm C

Ephram (Gregory Smith) gets the wrong idea when Madison (Sarah Lancaster) tells him her roommate is going to be out of town, but the misunderstanding leads to an intimate moment for the couple. In other matters of the heart, Amy (Emily VanCamp) decides she's ready to have sex with Tommy (Paul Wasilewski), so she works up the courage to ask Dr. Brown (Treat Williams) to write her a prescription for birth control pills, and Andy makes the important decision to talk to Ephram and Delia (Vivien Cardone) about Linda (Marcia Cross) spending the night at their house.
Debra Mooney, John Beasley, Chris Pratt, Stephanize Niznik and Tom Amandes also star. Perry Lang directed the episode written by Joan Binder Weiss.
-----
you know the drill folks.
Old 02-08-2004, 07:20 PM
Ultimate Fan

D'you guys think Nina'll be in it?

If one of the couples were to go throught with it, which do you think it would be?

"I know who you are..."

"It's all fun and games 'till one of you gets my foot up your ass."
Old 02-08-2004, 08:48 PM
Addicted Fan

dude stupid carry ate my post!

anyway, wha ti had said was that i think madison and ephram are most likley to go through with it because i think tommy will stop him and amy. he knows her past and how broken she is and i don't think he'd hurt her like that.
-maria
Old 02-08-2004, 09:19 PM
Ultimate Fan

I'm pretty sure the WB is making a cop out... their promos are always misleading. [img]smilies/frown.gif[/img]

But between the two of them I'd say Ephram and Madison, definently. Just because Tommy is so new to the show and I think Amy wouldn't be so quick to.

Argh. Dissapointed. Sorry to go off on Nina again, but apparently she's not in it. After last week's touching rekindling of the Nina/Andy friendship, that really makes me mad.

And I'd also like to see Nina in a different capacity than just "Andy's Friend". I loved when they had the episode when she found out about her husband. That was Nina in her own story.

Sorry for the rant.

"I know who you are..."

"It's all fun and games 'till one of you gets my foot up your ass."
Old 02-09-2004, 12:45 AM
Loyal Fan

Amy's character has definitely changed over the duration of the show. Unfortunately she has gone downhill. I don't like her with Tommy. I think they should break up. His character just irks me.

Bandbabe [img]smilies/halfstar.gif[/img]

My fics: Fadam / Badam / Rebel
Old 02-10-2004, 03:06 AM
Loyal Fan

So it was Madison and Ephram that actually did it? Or did they? It looked like they were going at it at the very end of the episode. I think they did it. As a shipper of these two I have no complaints. I say keep the M/E love coming for as long as it can, cause from the look on Madisons face after Ephram says the "L" word in the promo, the writers are looking to split them up soon. Pains me to admit it, but I knew it wasn't gonna last. I just hope we get lots more of them before the end.
Old 02-10-2004, 04:18 AM
Elite Fan

I loved how Amy mentioned always thinking Colin would have been her first.
I'm really glad Amy ended up not doing it.
Old 02-10-2004, 07:20 AM
Passionate Fan

I am so glad Amy did not do it with Tommy. She was doing it for the wrong reasons. I am happy for Eph and Madi! I think they gave us sweet and at the same time hilarious scenes. Plus, after what Eph told Madi, who wouldn't sleep with the guy. But most of all, I am glad Amy didn't do it. Tommy is a loser and we all know it after last night. I hate that but it looks like her parents and everyone else were right. I also think it is sad that the first person who gets Amy out of her depression will actually turn out to be a liar. I hope it is not the case but it does look that way. Sorry don't know anything else... spoilers free here [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]
Old 02-10-2004, 12:06 PM
Passionate Fan

Quote:
Originally posted by *Dominique*:
<STRONG>I am so glad Amy did not do it with Tommy. She was doing it for the wrong reasons. I am happy for Eph and Madi! I think they gave us sweet and at the same time hilarious scenes. Plus, after what Eph told Madi, who wouldn't sleep with the guy. But most of all, I am glad Amy didn't do it. Tommy is a loser and we all know it after last night. I hate that but it looks like her parents and everyone else were right. I also think it is sad that the first person who gets Amy out of her depression will actually turn out to be a liar. I hope it is not the case but it does look that way. Sorry don't know anything else... spoilers free here [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]</STRONG>

I'm also glad Amy didn't do anything with Tommy he kinda seemed to be up to something. I do think emp and Madi did sleep together. I thought it was a pretty good eposide I do think Tommy and Amy will break up in the next epoisde. And Emp with L word wow, that sound be new. we'll have to see.
Old 02-10-2004, 03:05 PM
Addicted Fan

I like us learning why tommy was still dealing, it made it more real. There are a lot of people out there who are forced to do things they don't really want to do because without that little bit of cash that that activity, illegal or not, their family wouldn't be able to survive. I don't blame Amy for being mad though. He should have told her.
I was also glad amy did bring up Colin.

As for Madison and Ephram, i was very dissapointed they went through with it. Personal shipping opinions aside i think it was way too soon. Perhaps if it had been a while like more than a month, that's where I think I had the biggest problem. And judging by the lyrics of "Anna Begins" (great song btw way) they chose to play the part that goes "i'm not ready for this sort of thing"....i think that means their gonna split them up which is probably why the rushed the whole sex thing. Even as a greenie i'd rather have them together for a longer time if it meant that the sex topic wasnt' rushed.

As for Andy's admonishment of Edna- wtg Doc Brown, and also i'm glad he stood up for linda but i wonder why it was she wanted to break up with him...i doubt it was just his kids.

On a final note, i am very glad to see that Linda and Delia are starting to get along better.

Oh btw....any roswellians out there catch the opening song?
-maria
Old 02-10-2004, 03:38 PM
Master Fan

Quote:
Originally posted by The Maria:
Oh btw....any roswellians out there catch the opening song?
-maria
I did, Maria! I did! I was so happy but also almost moved to tears at the same time cuz the last time I heard that song on TV was actually on The American Embassy (it was when the bombing took place in the pilot).

I liked the B/E moments. Tell him I tried. That was sweet like B was being the gf covering for the bf's @$$.

Gaby
I made my icon.
Old 02-10-2004, 04:33 PM
Passionate Fan

I've just started getting into this show again...I've been on and off but the show was excellent. I don't really have a preference of whom anyone should be with but I just like Ephram. He would have been a guy I would have liked in high school.
Old 02-10-2004, 06:46 PM
Part-Time Fan

Ephram was kind of a jerk in this episode. I don't know. That annoys me a lot, because he is such a good character.

I also hoped that this episode wouldn't completly revolve around sex. But, of course, it did.
Old 02-10-2004, 07:00 PM
New Fan

Well, it's all about sex. I'll leave to others the admiration of Ephram without a shirt, and other details (although there was nothing really graphic in the episode), 'cause I want to think a little bit about what all of this means for the long-term story arc of character development which is at the core of Everwood for me.

Ephram, Amy, Linda, and less directly Maddy (who I think knew it already, wise Maddy), Tommy (who ends up being surprisingly good in all respects in his relationship with Amy except for the fact that, oh, yes, he's a repeatedly felonious drug dealer), and Dr. Andrew Brown, all learn, or have their learning refreshed, that sex is just not all that easy a thing to deal with. No wonder, Andy (who's old enough to remember the book) might have said, that Erica Jong wanted "This Zipless *****." But there is no such thing.

And as a structural matter, I think the writers, director, and producers (oh, yes, with a little help from the cast), did an absolutely wonderful job of doing what needed to be done to make this episode convey its message without the usual smarm of teen shows (of course, Everwood is not just a teen show -- statistics compiled by Nielsen indicate that its mean audience age is 41). Emily VanCamp continues to amaze me with the excellence of her acting; I pick her out because during the first season I thought she was pretty much a Jane One-Note, and I like to emphasize how wrong I was. Everyone else, right down to and definitely including Vivien Cardone, does an excellent job as well.

And what did they convey? To me, the teen characters (I include Maddy in that despite her exalted status of being 20) learned or to an extent re-learned that the fantasy worlds we construct aren't always very congruent with the real world of experience, that things don't necessarily work out as we've planned, and that for all that things can be pretty good if we just face them up and deal with them on our own terms rather than waiting for stuff to happen to us. Maybe old advice, but human existence dictates that we must re-learn this stuff every eighteen years or so -- so that's OK. We who've been there need to be refreshed in it, too, as Andy's and Linda's experience shows -- mature adults both, sexually experienced, at the basic height of their personal powers, they aren't much better off than the teens when it comes to dealing with the complexities of feelings and sex (complicated by the HIV matter in a sense, but that's not really the main thing, as Andy pretty eloquently explained). Edna does a little better in her own way, getting through to Amy in one of the best-acted scenes this always well-acted show has presented, but she's not directly having to deal with the problem. Still, she sees it: "you all don't have much kid time. It all gets pretty serious pretty fast."

They all grew some in this episode, maybe even Tommy-the-pusher. He certainly behaved as well as any teen boy could ever be expected to behave in terms of respecting Amy's choices and needs. Although I think drugs should be generally legalized, regulated, and taxed, I nonetheless have no use for those who sell them to schoolkids under present conditions -- but it's hard to find Tommy completely dark. As the God of Joan of Arcadia might say, there is light in all of us to begin with; I'm not convinced that Tommy's light has yet been fully extinguished. He certainly seemed to figure out that there might be something in Amy that was worth more than the drugs and their money. Probably the first time in his life that he's actually experienced that. But can he execute on the idea? Maybe we'll see.

So the main characters all grew, perhaps even including Delia, who (albeit that she was bribed a bit -- hey, Delia, you ever seen that horse? beward of Andy's promising gifts!) OK'd Andy and Linda's sleepover -- and let's not think for a New York second that she didn't comprehend what was meant by that, in general terms at least. But growth doesn't come without pain and the need to think.

I rate this episode a solid "A."
Old 02-10-2004, 07:30 PM
New Fan

BTW, I vote that Ephram and Maddy didn't go all the way up at the Point. (I guess every town has a Point where the kids go; we called ours "Inspiration Point," and it had a great view of Denver -- at night it was a sparkling fairyland. Not that we much noticed.) Maybe some heavy macking, but not to "the" point. I just think the program will make a bigger deal of it when it happens. (I do think Maddy gets Ephram's v-chip eventually, though.)
Closed Thread   Post New Thread