Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Closed Thread   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Tags Thread Tools
Old 02-14-2005, 09:35 PM
Extreme Fan

[QUOTE=Raja]2) Feel a bit sorry for Bright since the sexual harassment allegations were nothing more than vengeance. He was just messing around even if he was too cavalier with the feelings of the person he was with. Rose was probably too harsh with him. But on the other hand it was a dose of cold water he probably did need sprinkled on his head. And he learned from the situation to try to do better in the future.
QUOTE]

Oh I am glad I am not the only one who feels this way.
Old 02-14-2005, 09:44 PM
Fan Forum Legend

Moderator of ...
Everwood

I agree that Bright is certainly not a monster and I think Jillian was trying to get back at him. Bright did what a great percentage of guys do. Doesn't make them monsters.. Idiots is a better word. Heh. I was glad that Rose owned up to her faults regarding some things. That was great to see. I'm actually glad Rose fired Bright. He didn't seem to really love his job. He needs to find his own passion and maybe now he might go to ECC and figure out what he wants to do.

Yes, Tom Amandes directed the episode and he did a fine job. Man, this guy is talented. He blows you away on the screen and then he can also succeed behind the camera. He rocks.
Old 02-14-2005, 09:47 PM
Extreme Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilpen
He needs to find his own passion and maybe now he might go to ECC and figure out what he wants to do.
I agree he needs to find his own thing.
Old 02-14-2005, 10:45 PM
Elite Fan

Quote:
Feel a bit sorry for Bright since the sexual harassment allegations were nothing more than vengeance.
I agree.

Last edited by jediwands; 05-14-2022 at 07:34 AM
Old 02-14-2005, 10:52 PM
Elite Fan

I totally agree with coolcat, wilpen, and jopace. I think Rose was way too hard on Bright. Gillian was trying to hook up with him two weeks a go. She was probably mad when he blew her off. Gillian chose to have sex with Bright too. I don't understand why she couldn't have been suspended or fired

KH asked about kissing her ex (JJ) in front of the cameras all day:

"Maybe there's a hint of realism?"
Old 02-14-2005, 10:55 PM
Fan Forum Legend

Moderator of ...
Everwood

Couple more thoughts..

EVC rocked the single tear effect. Anyone notice how she timed that tear just perfectly? That is called acting in a very big way. EVC is clearly a damn good actress and the girl is only 18 years old! That fact is just scary because how much better can this girl get? She's already there! She is simply superb.

And when Amy was just staring at Ephram after his party. Just staring.

Amy, with the secret, the tear, and the love? Beyond powerful stuff.

As for Harold telling Amy.. I think I get why he told her, but I'm not exactly sure if he was right to tell her. What I mean by this is now, he has placed an enormous burden on her shoulders. I almost think that Harold should have demanded that Andy told Ephram so that Amy could be told.

KUDOS to the writers, and double doses to EVC and Tom Amandes during their scenes together. Amazing.

Okay, I'm done with my additional comments for now.
Old 02-14-2005, 10:58 PM
Dedicated Fan

I loved this episode! So far The Perfect Day is my favorite but I loved the hug Bright gave Hannah after she told him the results. The Amy/Ephram thing ruled can't wait to see next weeks episode!
Old 02-14-2005, 11:13 PM
Passionate Fan

If anything he should've told her before. She's talking about stuff such as marriage and we all know Amy is rather impulsive. The sooner she knows what is going on with Ephram the sooner she can make an inform decision of where she's going with him.

This isn't just a dirty little secret such as say whether someone has a past arrest record. If there is a child this potentially blows everything out of the water instantly. To let Amy waste years of her life without knowing the risks is almost unforgiveable.

I'd disagree about not telling his daughter first. In the grand scheme of things it might be better for Ephram to know first since it's something he REALLY should hear from his father. Luckily even Amy realizes this. But that isn't Harold's concern. It's his daughter. To the extent the news devastates her she would even be more devastated that her father kept the news from her. Especially if things go sour with Ephram. His responsibility is to her. And that includes being honest and straight forward.

It might make sense for Andy to hide the truth from Ephram (it allowed him to extend his childhood for a year and made sure his ambitious and goals were not sidetracked). I just don't see how hiding the truth from Amy protects her. She has nothing to hide from. The worst that could happen is she decides to reach for another box of "kleenex."
I'm bored and you're bald. But I laughed when you called me the snail. My trail runs behind me. I'm guilty. No secrets. You're not such a picture yourself

Last edited by jediwands; 04-06-2022 at 05:52 PM
Old 02-14-2005, 11:24 PM
Fan Forum Legend

Moderator of ...
Everwood

Oh, I think Harold should have told Amy the minute he found out at the beginning of 3. Absolutely. I'm talking about the timing now. He has waited forever.. He even let her sleep with Ephram knowing full well that the Madison pregnancy was looming in the background. Again, I'm talking about the timing. He delayed this long.. What would it have taken to have gone to Andy immediately upon his discussion with Amy, say, the very next day, and DEMANDED that Andy tell Ephram because he was CERTAINLY telling Amy that very day and then E/A could have found out at the same time from their fathers, and Amy wouldn't now be in a position where she has to struggle with the knowledge on her own and make decisions on when/if to tell Ephram. All I'm saying is Harold could have delayed it until the very next morning and gone to Andy to tell him he was telling Amy.. Of course the talk that Harold had to Andy at the party more than confirmed that he was going to tell Andy that he told Amy.. I was just thinking that the two talks could have happened in a flip flop way.

I'm certainly overjoyed that Harold decided to do the right thing. I just wish that Amy didn't have to find out before Ephram as I think it only puts one more strike against them as Ephram could very well feel betrayed that Amy found out before him and didn't tell him even though Amy did this out of love. She kept the pain to herself and decided not to tell him at this moment for fear of ruining his audition. So she decided to suck it up and unselfishly decides to keep this knowledge, at least for a short while, to herself. I just hope that Ephram understands Amy's reasoning and how unselfish her love for him really is. And like I said, Harold waited how long to tell her? What was about 12 more hours until the morning whenever he could have talked with Andy? Oh well, either way, I'm glad that Harold finally told Amy what he should have told her right away. Then again, Harold should have never been in this predicament in the first place had Andy done the right thing and told Ephram straight up whenever Madison first found out she was pregnant.

Last edited by jediwands; 02-15-2005 at 12:47 AM
Old 02-15-2005, 12:14 AM
Extreme Fan

What happend on next week's preview I missed it!

Of course it is happening inside your head, but why on earth should that mean it is not real?
Old 02-15-2005, 02:29 AM
New Fan

For my online Speech class, I had to write a 3 to 5 page paper about a TV show or movie, and I picked Everwood. I had to interpret 4 different concepts from my book. This is the paper I wrote below. Hopefully, I'll get an A!

Tonight I watched a show called Everwood, and I decided that I would write my second reaction paper on it. It was a very good episode and a lot happened throughout the hour. After looking over Chapters 6 and 7, I decided that it would be best if I wrote this paper on several different characters. The first two characters are Amy and her dad Dr. Abbott. After debating whether Amy’s best friend Hannah should take a test to find out if she inherited the same disease that killed her father, Amy told her father Dr. Abbot that she would much rather have all of the information in a situation so she could make an informed decision about what to do. After hearing that from his daughter, Dr. Abbott revealed a painful secret to her that he had been keeping for quite a while. He felt that she was strong enough to handle the situation and no longer wanted to keep the truth from her. The secret was that her boyfriend Ephram got his ex girlfriend pregnant and that Ephram did not know about it. Obviously, this caused Amy a great deal of pain.

She knew Ephram was excited about possibly getting into a great school and that he had a very bright future ahead of him, so she took the information and dealt with it like a grown up. She kept the pain to herself and did not tell Ephram about his ex girlfriend being pregnant. This took a great deal of good judgment from Dr. Abbott to tell such a big secret to his young daughter. She could have reacted a number of ways, but he believed that she would handle the information like an adult. In Chapter 6 of Interpersonal Communication: Relating To Others, Beebe, Beebe, and Redmond, note that linguistic determinism is a “theory that describes how use of language determines or influences thoughts and perceptions” (P. 163). Based on the conversation Dr. Abbott had with Amy about Hannah’s health and how Amy would deal with it herself, he trusted that she was mature enough to be told the secret he had been keeping from her. This showed great communicational skills from both of them.

The second concept will be based on something that happened between Amy and Ephram. Later in the episode, Amy and her family decided to throw a surprise party for Ephram to congratulate him on all of his success. This took place after Amy’s conversation with her father, and it was the first time she’d seen Ephram since learning that he unknowingly got his ex girlfriend pregnant. The first thing she did was give Ephram a hug, and while her face rested on his shoulder, a tear streamed down her face. She blamed it on the stress of putting together the party, but Ephram was semi aware that something was wrong. He ended up shrugging it off and concluding that she was being overly emotional like she usually tends to be. Later, after the party, Amy was cleaning up and Ephram decided to help her. She joked with him that it was his party and that he was not supposed to be helping, but even through she was making a joke, Ephram could tell that something was bothering her.

Ephram ended up going over to her and asking her if she was all right. They shared a moment or two of brief dialogue before Amy began to tell Ephram the secret. She wanted to tell him badly; her eyes were practically shouting at him that there was something she needed to say, but instead of saying anything, she just closed her mouth and kept the secret to herself. On the very first page of Chapter 7, Beebe, Beebe, and Redmond describe nonverbal communication as “behavior other than written or spoken language that creates meaning for someone” (P. 187). Amy’s eyes were communicating with Ephram, which is nonverbal communication. He knew she had something to say without her having to say anything at all. The way her eyes pleaded with him every time their eyes connected, and the way she looked away every time she felt herself about to tell the secret are all ways in which they were nonverbally communicating.

For the third concept, I will be using Amy’s mom Mrs. Abbot and her older brother Bright as my example. Mrs. Abbott is the mayor of Everwood, and she takes her job very seriously. She is a determined mayor and an even more determined mother and always has her children’s best interests in mind. Bright is a slacker who has dropped out of college and lives off his parents. He has very little ambition and finds joy in sleeping with as many girls as possible. He was fired from his last job, and as of tonight’s episode, he was fired from his current job as well. A woman who he worked with accused him of sexual harassment and said that ever since they slept together, he was sending her sexual e-mails throughout the day. Bright, his mother, and his employees had a big meeting to see how they would handle this situation. The female accuser’s lawyer said that when they checked Bright’s last place of employment, he was also fired for sexual harassment. Mrs. Abbott was unaware of this information and was very angry to say the least.

When the two of them went home, Mrs. Abbott told her son how ashamed of him she was. She told him that it was her fault for not doing a better job of raising him and teaching him to honor women. At first, he took his mother’s speech lightly and made a snide comment, but she smacked him, which woke him up in a sense. Back in Chapter 6, Beebe, Beebe, and Redmond teach that static evaluation is “a pronouncement that does not take the possibility of change into consideration” (P. 167). When Mrs. Abbott confronted Bright about his wrong doings, she saw that he wasn’t taking her words seriously. She realized that if her son had such disrespect for her, he must truly disrespect women in general. By slapping him, Mrs. Abbott got through to her dense son that she was dead serious, and that he needed to change his ways. Bright promised that he would.

For my final concept, I am going to use Hannah and Bright as my examples. Hannah is Amy’s best friend whose father died of a disease in which there is no cure for. Hannah finally agreed to take the test and learned that she did not have the disease. Near the end of the episode, while she was at Ephram’s party, she sat on the staircase keeping to herself. Bright, who she has always had a crush on, walked over to her and asked her how she was doing. He could tell that she was upset, and when he discovered that she had taken the test, he feared that her results came back positive. When she told him the results were negative, he was very happy for her. He gave her a great, big hug and told her to come celebrate with him. Unfortunately, she did not feel like celebrating and wanted to be alone. She was grateful that Bright, of all people, was happy that she was okay, but there was one thing she needed to do before she felt okay.

At the end of the episode, it showed her walking out onto the Abbott’s porch all alone. She looked up at the sky and took in the many possibilities that were being presented to her with a clean bill of health. She began crying, and as the tears fell from her eyes, it was a symbolic representation of her crying out what was left of her father’s disease. For the first time in her life, she felt a sense of hope. In Chapter 7, Beebe, Beebe, and Redmond discuss emotional contagion theory, which is a “theory that emotional expression is contagious; people can ‘catch’ emotions just by observing each other’s emotional expressions” (P. 213). Before Hannah could let Bright or anyone else in, she felt that she had to get out the rest of her pain and heartache. She had to let go of her father, and she had to let go of her troubles. She did not want to “infect” anyone she cared for, so she needed to be by herself to let it all go. And while she stood there all alone and underneath the stars, Hannah truly smiled for the very first time.

PS: Wilpen pointed out to me that Hannah's dad isn't dead yet. That was my mistake. Hopefully the teacher doesn't watch Everwood. lol
Old 02-15-2005, 03:44 AM
Master Fan

Wow...what a powerful episode.

The best parts? Amy finding out and Hannah taking the test.

-Amy/Ephram-It's obvious Amy is handling the situation in Ephram's best interest but I also know that whe he finds out she knew,as Dr Abbott and his own dad,he's not gonna let it go easily,if at all.They can go through all that together,their love is strong enough for that but Ephram....if he's written as he's always been,then he won't understand Amy's decision right away.I'm very 'proud' of Amy but I wish Ephram had found out before her.That way,they could have kept their relationship going on and getting stronger.Hell,I wish this whole pregnancy plot never happened.From the get go,it was awful,with almost everyone knowing except the father.I hate it coz it's gonna break apart two people who dearly love each other.

-Hannah-I loved her scenes with Dr Abbott and that last one with Bright.He seemed soooooo relieved.The guy abviously has feelings for her.

Oh,and the cutest thing?DELIA AND BRIGHT HUGGED!!! Heee.
Old 02-15-2005, 07:26 AM
Part-Time Fan

Last edited by jediwands; 05-13-2022 at 04:49 PM
Old 02-15-2005, 08:24 AM
Part-Time Fan

I swear...

I REALLY will be quick. Usually I say that, then...

AWESOME episode.

I think given the situation in the BROWN household and Amy's immaturity at the time, Harold was right not to tell Amy earlier... and seemingly right to tell her now. Someone already pointed out her maturity comes and goes, even to some extent in this episode. Well, she's a teen. Not a grown-up and not a kid. But she seems to be close enough to adulthood now as shown by her letting her love continue to flow with Ephram and also biting her tongue about telling him.

I hope the prevailing optimism here is warranted. We know that Amy "forgave" Ephram for a minor transgression then gave him the cold shoulder for how long again? Her failure to pitch a fit could just be because she's stunned. Remember back to her intitial handling of Ephram checking out the band... and this revelation coming right after Hannah's about the disease? We saw an understated initial reaction then too.

And as for Bright... his pattern thus far has been a slacker but one with charm and a good heart. Frankly I wasn't buying his apology to the chick as entirely heartfelt. His smile walking away was very self-satisfied. Pat me on the back, I just did the right thing. Apologies soften transgressions but they don't make everything all better. I've had hope for Bright's character growth one too many times now to buy it anymore unless they give me more than this. Sure he's a nice guy too and Hannah shows that side of him. Just because he's nice doesn't mean he can't have problems with honor and maturity and etc. Right now I'm picturing him as an eventual cheater on his wife. They exist out there in the world and just because their actions are uncondoneable doesn't mean they're bad guys otherwise. I hope they REALLY allow Bright to grow and not just periodically make aborted efforts to grow... but we'll see. Don't have much faith in that right now. I hope he doesn't wind up breaking Hannah's and/or Delia's heart.

Aquillea
Old 02-15-2005, 08:55 AM
Extreme Fan

SO GLAD Amanda's gone. Bye Anne Heche, I won't miss you. I figure that now she's gone, it's time for Andy to start appreciating Nina more. Heh.

I love Bright and Hannah. They are by far, the best thing about this show for me at the moment. Well, besides Jake. I was thinking that Hannah's test results would come back positive, but it made me so happy that they didn't. Bright's reaction was so adorable, and the way he pulled Hannah in for a hug...

I actually felt bad for Bright. I don't know what it is about him that even if he does something wrong, you still can't hate him. Rose was kind of hard on him, IMO, I don't think she should've fired him, but now maybe he'll go to ECC, and do something he actually likes. Rose's talk with Bright was totally foreshadowing a future relationship between B/H.

I kind of wish Amy would have told Ephram about Madison. When Ephram does find out, he's going to feel betrayed by the people who knew about the whole thing, which I'm sure will cause problems between E/A.

It's like infinite – it's kinda how I feel about us.
Jake&Peyton. Brooke&Lucas. Bright&Hannah.
Joan&Adam. Ephram&Amy. Clark&Chloe.

Last edited by glory fades; 02-15-2005 at 09:09 AM
Closed Thread   Post New Thread