Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

New Forum Poll   |     Fall TV Shows   |     Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Reply   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Tags Thread Tools
Old 02-07-2005, 08:22 PM
Master Fan

I'm not a big fan of Amanda and Andy. I'm not comfortable watching it. I mean Amanda may have wanted a divorce from her husband years back, and then didn't because he had his stroke. I mean she is still married, she has a kid who is struggling in his own world without his dad.

Andy seems like he has gone off the deep end...seriously why is he doing this? Ugh.

I'm loving Hannah and Bright. So cute. I loved how he gave her the little speech outside on the porch so sweet. I just loved the hug...I was jumping up and down. So excited. They better not end up leaving us high and dry. I'd love to see a friendship develop between the two.

On next weeks preview....I can't believe it! Harold is really going to tell Amy She can't be mad at Ephram. He doesn't know. I wonder what will happen.

Cor

darylbeth
Ice Queen follower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2005, 08:25 PM
Extreme Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ice Queen follower
I'm loving Hannah and Bright. So cute. I loved how he gave her the little speech outside on the porch so sweet. I just loved the hug...I was jumping up and down. So excited. They better not end up leaving us high and dry. I'd love to see a friendship develop between the two.

On next weeks preview....I can't believe it! Harold is really going to tell Amy She can't be mad at Ephram. He doesn't know. I wonder what will happen.

Cor
I loved Hannah and Bright! It was too cute for words. The bird in the house was also quite funny

Of course it is happening inside your head, but why on earth should that mean it is not real?
Buttacup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2005, 08:31 PM
Fan Forum Star

Moderator of ...
Everwood

I just know that Amy is going to break my heart next week. Considering, myself, and many, many others agree, that EVC is the best young actress on the planet, she is just going to be all kinds of perfection with Amy next week. I have watched the previews for next week three times now (yeah, I'm nerdy like that) and just watching Amy's expressions and tears are enough to choke me up.
Auror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2005, 10:00 PM
Dedicated Fan

I thought it was a good episode overall.

Andy/Amanda still make me but whatever. I barely pay attention to their scenes now.

B/A: So cute tonight! Best part of the episode. You could see how much he cares about her.

E/M: I was a little pissed that they didn't really had a storyline, but the preview for next episode seemed good

Jake/Nina: Not much to say. They're cute. And the twister scene was just
ships: Jackie/Hyde, Chandler/Monica, Seth/Summer, Ryan/Taylor, Ephram/Amy, Pacey/Joey, Veronica/Logan (S1), Clarke/Bellamy, Simon/Alisha, Buffy/Spike, Kate/Sawyer, Juliet/Sawyer, Effy/Cook, Casey/Cappie, Lily/James, Tessa/Will, Elena/Clay.

Daphnée @ LiveJournal Fanlisting Collective
daphneejen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2005, 07:51 AM
Elite Fan

The episode was decent overall I guess. The only really good parts about it were the Bright/Hannah and Jake/Nina moments. Every other part of the episode alternated between me wanting to throw up and yelling insults at the writers for their stupidity.

First off, the good. I liked the whole Nina/Jake story. It felt very real that Nina would be having second thoughts about jumping into this relationship with Jake. They both acknowledged the fact that Sam has to be a major factor in all of her personal decisions, and I could see how she would be hesistant to bring this new man into his life...especially if she has any doubts about how long the relationship is going to last.

Bright and Hannah were by far the highlight of this episode for me. Both of them hit home runs with their acting tonight. Sarah Drew did an excellent job portraying Hannah's reaction when Topher (how come hardly anyone in this town has a run of the mill name?) asked her out. You could tell that she was both excited and completely terrified at the same time. Plus, I love how she jumped up and wrapped herself in the blanket when Bright came in her room, even though she was completely covered. Such a great Hannah moment. And Bright...he has officially replaced Andy as my absolute favorite character on the show. He is so much more complex than I ever thought he could be, and he is much wiser than anyone else on the show, excluding Hannah, seems to be willing to give him credit for. I never wanted him and Hannah to get together more than I did after he gave her the speech about living every day like it was a gift. I also thought that his telling her that someday she'd find someone who saw all the things that he did, but would actually deserve her. I immediately took that to mean that he did have some feelings for her, but my sister, who was sitting beside me watching, thought that it was more a brotherly thing to say...I don't agree. P.S. Hannah watches Laguna Beach too. We share a guilty pleasure.

Unfortunately, that brings us to the Andy/Amanda story. I know the flashbacks are supposed to make me feel more sympathetic to Amanda. It didn't. Maybe it is just because I find this whole storyline so repellant, but all the flashbacks did was make me hate Amanda more. She came off as the bad guy in most of the scenarios, and I didn't feel the least bit sorry for her for staying with her husband out of guilt. Also, I found Charlie's reaction to be a little hard to believe. He basically said that he knows that she is cheating on his dad, but it's okay because she's happy. What a load of crap. I guess it could be argued that Charlie is 'older' than most 12 year olds because of his dad's situation, but I still can't believe that a person his age would react that way. This whole thing just smacks of the writers trying yet again to justify a colossal error in judgement...oh yeah, and probably my biggest gripe of the night is how they recycled last week's "fast one" by trying to make it look like Amanda was ending things with Andy, when actually she was coming to get a warm and fuzzy feeling about their shared complicity in this wretched affair. Plus, they tried to ruin one of my favorite songs (Dice by Finley Quay) by connecting it to an Amanda/Andy moment. For shame.

In conclusion: Nina and Jake were good; Bright and Hannah were awesome, and Amanda and Andy should go sit in the street so everyone in town (or the world for that matter) can walk by and spit on them....good day.
Jake: Cold-blooded but fair.
The Crow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2005, 08:24 AM
Part-Time Fan

My reactions to this episode were decidedly mixed. The things I liked, I liked a lot. The things I disliked, I disliked a lot. And there were a few things which baffled me altogether.
ANDY/AMANDA: I hate this story line just as much now as I have since it began. Last night's scenes did nothing to make me more comfortable with it. The flashback scenes were obviously intended to evoke some sympathy for Amanda. In my mind, they did not; but the fact is I don't care. My problems with this puke-fest have always been about Andy's behavior; I couldn't care less about Amanda's. The whole "dinner" scene was dishonest from the start. They weren't planning on telling their kids they were together romantically, just that they were "spending time together". That was cowardly. Unfortunately for them, they underestimated the intelligence and instincts of their children. Frankly, I was shocked at the lack of anger on Delia's part. It looked like she was more upset that the person Andy was "spending time with" was Charlie's mother, than she was about Andy dating a married woman to begin with. And I thought Charlie's reversal was too quick to be credible. I am PRAYING they don't continue this sorry situation beyond its scheduled ending next week. At the moment, I can't think of a prospective ending which would go very far in redeeming Andy in my eyes.
NINA/JAKE: I thought Nina had every right to be terrified about the potential effect, on both Sam and her, of her getting seriously involved with Jake and then having it not work out. Her experience with Carl has to still have her doubting her ability to judge men. She knew how much Sam worshipped his father. And she knows Jake's history as a serial leaver. Her deciding to take a chance was brave. I do think the "bird" scene was a bit silly, not to mention too reminiscent of Deer God. A non-medical excuse was obviously needed to compel Nina to leave Jake's without him. But Hannah doesn't seem the type to be afraid of birds; she has too much inner strength.
AMY/HANNAH: I love this friendship. That said, I can't help noticing that, in spite of Hannah's repeated admonitions to stop, Amy keeps trying to "fix" Hannah. She's done it regularly since they first met. It's almost as if Amy feels maternal toward Hannah. Even her wide smile while watching Topher ask Hannah out sort of smacked of the mother bird watching the baby bird fly for the first time. This seems somewhat patronizing on Amy's part, since we've seen that in many ways Hannah is more together as a person than Amy. I agree with Bright; Amy should "let it go for once". I love the affection and genuine caring between these two, but Amy needs to accept Hannah as an equal, not a project.
HANNAH: This girl continues to surprise me. Each week we uncover more reasons to like her. At the moment she is the most interesting character on the show; and is certainly the one who has developed the most this season. Now that I can no longer root for Andy, Hannah has become a main rooting interest. That said, I'm somewhat surprised at her decision (if in fact she has really decided) to take the Huntington's test. The way she talked earlier about her reasons for not doing do, I would have thought she would only take it if she felt she was in a relationship which could lead to marriage. For a girl who has never had an unarranged date, that scenario is a long way away. If she does take the test, however, I'm guessing there is a VERY good chance she will not have the gene. If she did, she would be permanent "Tragedy Girl" and there would be no reason to keep her around for two more years; we couldn't root for her if we knew she had no future.
HANNAH/BRIGHT: The best scenes, and lines, in the episode. Bring these two on! They need each other. And they deserve each other.
AMY/EPHRAM: Loved the smiles. Loved the looks. Loved the banter. HATED the continuing lack of physical affection. When they walk up the school stairs, Hannah is between them. While they're watching Topher and Hannah, Amy has a death grip on her textbook (with the arm closest to Ephram). They sit at the lunch table, but no little pats or touches. In the living room scene, couldn't Amy have stood behind the couch during her rant and playfully poked Ephram (as she used to do all the time) when he bowed out of the argument or said something she didn't want to hear? They hug in the trailer for next week, yes, but doesn't this start to seem manipulative? They only show physical affection immediately prior to some devestating event? That's what happened after The Reflex, the last time they even touched each other on-screen, and it seems likely this is going to happen again. This is unfair, not to mention unbelievable. It's obvious the love is there, especially looking at the scenes from the trailer. But lately it seems like the "comfortable" love of Harold and Rose.
BAFFLERS:
1) Is Andy still a practicing doctor? When was the last time we saw him treating anyone other than John? Watching him deal with different medical story lines was one of the best parts of the show. Yet another reason to hate Andy/Amanda.
2) By my count, Irv has appeared in two of the last eight episodes. Not only have we lost Irv's narrations, we seem to have (mostly) lost Irv. Maybe after Amanda is burned at the stake, we'll see more of Irv.
3) If Topher is as perfect for Hannah as he seems, why wasn't he on Amy's list when she was looking for the perfect guy for Hannah prior to the "Bright date"?
4) When was the last time we didn't see Harold for a whole episode? Maybe it had something to do with the fact that Tom Amandes is directing the next episode. I missed Harold, though.
MISCELLANEOUS:
1) It was nice to see some of the "old-timers" in the diner scene.
2) It looks, from the trailer, like Harold is compelled to tell Amy about Madison because Amy intends to invite Madison to her party celebrating Ephram's Julliard audition notice. I guess it's time for the detonation to begin. It's due; Amy and Ephram have been happy for ten whole minutes, and we know that's their maximum since they first "sinned".
3) My favorite of many good lines: "are we being beamed somewhere?

THE CROW: Excellent post. Especially enjoyed your description of the unexpected depth Bright is demonstrating these days. Totally agree with you about Charlie's reversal.

Last edited by MAKRO; 02-08-2005 at 09:28 AM
MAKRO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2005, 10:24 AM
Elite Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAKRO

THE CROW: Excellent post. Especially enjoyed your description of the unexpected depth Bright is demonstrating these days. Totally agree with you about Charlie's reversal.
Thank you, and I have to say the same to you.

I agree about "Are we being beamed somewhere" being one of the best lines of the episode. I also liked right after that when she said "Thanks for reminding me of the most embarrassing moment of my life...until now."
Jake: Cold-blooded but fair.
The Crow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2005, 02:28 PM
Passionate Fan

1) Thought I'd remind everyone there is also a companion video to go along with this series called "Getting Your Child to Accept Your Lecherous Adulterous Affairs. A Family's Guide." It is narrated by Treat Williams and contains many useful tips about how parents can get their kids to not only accept but to enjoy and appreciate their parents messing around. I find part four entitled "Ditching Daddy" to be the most enlightening. Okay maybe not.

But introducing your kids to this? What the hell? If you're going to do something like that at least have the good taste not to rub it in your kids faces. This reminds me of that car crash where one can't resist looking. Except instead of looking you want to accelerate (aka fast forward).

And Anne Heche's character had problems in here marriage? At least Andy had the good sense to tell her that wasn't unique. But somehow I think it was supposed to soften us to accept what is going on.

Now. I'll be fair. She has had a vegetable for a husband. That she might want to move on isnt necessarily surprising. But with all that is set to explode in Andy's life anyway and that he is supposed to be in Everwood to partly "redeem" himself this is just unncessary. That Amanda wants to formally ditch the vegetable doesnt make it any more pleasant.

Forget Ephram maybe Delia is the one who needs to live with her grandparents. Can you imagine him trying to discipline her when she's a teenager? Or maybe she needs to stay to discipline him.

I will add however the flashback scenes were very well done.

2) Hannah and Bright doesnt do that much for me. But I guess I'm for it since it gets Bright more screen time which he richly deserves. Liked his speech to Hannah.

3) Hannah is dead girl walking. Reason: Has there ever been a crossroad where something good or something bad could happen where the bad thing never happened on Everwood? Say hi to Colin.

4) Poor Topher. Gets the courage to put himself out there like that and then shot down. Good for Ephraim for trying to cheer the poor hapless guy up.

5) Jake I still find annoying and useless. But at least he's trying. I can see Nina's dilemma in not wanting him to get to close with the kid.
I'm bored and you're bald. But I laughed when you called me the snail. My trail runs behind me. I'm guilty. No secrets. You're not such a picture yourself
Raja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2005, 02:47 PM
Fan Forum Star

Moderator of ...
Everwood

At work today, I thought up some new things about the episode last night..

First off, the back story on Amanda.. Like I said previously, I can somewhat understand, in a mild way, some of her actions now. However, I still hate the A/A relationship... With a freaking passion.

One more thing on the subject that disturbs me.. Why were we shoved with this detailed back story about a guest character and the continued on annoyance of A/A whenever other more pertinent storylines were being neglected in the process? There is a REAL marriage that is in rough waters that I know the vast majority of people care about and that would be Irv/Edna.. Yes, they were neglected this episode to make room for Amanda and John's past. WTF? That really annoyed me. In short.. I'm not in favor of the A/A story being anything but OVER.

Some comments on E/A: Everyone knows how much I adore this couple as I gush about them 24/7.. This episode, they were "filler characters." FILLER CHARACTERS. Overall, that ticks me off for several reasons. First off, just check my sig and EVC's words.. MOST people like E/A. Okay, so why were we given nada from this insanely popular couple this past episode? And what we did get consisted of E/A bickering just a bit and acting "very comfortable." Regarding comfort.. I like comfort. Most people do. That's great that E/A feel like they are already married in a lot of ways. And I am only being half sarcastic here. I do like that they are both very content being together and seem extremely confident in their love. In fact, I was hugely getting a "married couple' vibe from them last night. The first time was whenever Amy came down swearing and pissed as Ephram sits straight up, making the comment about knowing one of them was in trouble (Bright or Ephram). That just screamed to me like a husband getting nervous about being in "the doghouse." The other time was during Amy's rant to Bright as she turned to Ephram for his support and approval in making sure he was backing her. That also highly reminded me of a husband/wife type of interaction.. And while I sort of think it's nice that they do feel very confident in being "it" for each other, I still crave for them to occassionally be "living in the moment" and being passionate about their relationship. In other words, I want them to drop the maturity from time to time and act "their age." The lack of physical intimacy didn't bother me as much in this episode because I knew where the writers were going.. They really made it an effort and point of making sure that everyone knew this episode was NOT about E/A. It was almost like they made things short and sweet with them from the start because they literally didn't want fans to get wrapped up into thinking something huge was going to happen with E/A in this episode, because clearly, they were only used as a supporting cast. It's like the kid in the candy store scenario. They didn't want us in that candy store last night because they knew we wouldn't end up with any candy upon leaving. That's how I saw them writing E/A last night.

Now, does it suck that this took place? Damn straight it does. We all know that the bomb is happening RIGHT NOW, so we have no choice but to accept that E/A got NOTHING but heartache from the moment they slept together in The Reflex. Maybe heartache is a strong word, but basically that's the case. The lie happened right after they slept together and we have spent the rest of the episodes, minus last night, in getting E/A over the lie. Finally, it happened and last night SHOULD HAVE BEEN E/A being all about physical intimacy on the screen as normal teenagers in love, even if they are in a mature, REAL, relationship, but instead, we got supporting character labels for the both of them. THAT SUCKS. So again, this means that it's a certainty that we won't be getting any carefree happiness between this popular paring for a LONG time since next week is all about the beginning of Madisongate. Yes, this does disgust me and I think most E/A fans would agree.

However, in being like Bright and looking for silver linings, last night still passed because the Bright/Hannah love was the highlight of this episode for me, which I adored.

Also, I really enjoyed the multi-dimensional aspect of the episode, particularly the parallel themes of guilt, obligation and responsibility evident in Hannah and Nina, and to a lesser extent, Amanda.

Last edited by Auror; 02-08-2005 at 03:11 PM
Old 02-08-2005, 03:43 PM
Part-Time Fan

If Only

WILPEN:
If only the interviewer who elicited the answer from EVC that you show on your signature had asked two simple follow-up questions; "why do Amy and Ephram show so little physical affection on screen?", and "how much creative input is Berlanti providing this year?". I would love to have seen her answers to those.
Well, now we know that having E/A in relaxed mode wasn't the stimulus for more passion between them.
As much as the lack of physical affection continues to annoy me, and I've put up about eleventeen posts on the issue, I'm just as fried about the implication being projected that once they "sinned" by having sex, they will never be allowed more than a few brief consecutive moments of happiness ever again. The whole "went to see Madison's band" disaster served no purpose other than to prevent E/A from having an extended period of happiness prior to Madisongate. It didn't advance the baby story line one bit. Same with Amy taking three episodes to actually forgive him: it could have been done in one simply by having Ephram directly address her insecurities regarding Madison (Amy still could have had her "sacrifice" epiphany). Now, after another ten minutes, it's happening again as the bomb starts dropping next week. And it looks like a long, tough road.
I must say that taking what is arguably the most appealing teen couple on TV in quite some time and dooming them to behaving like an old married couple during the sporadic moments of happiness they are allowed, is a mis-judgement of massive proportions.
MAKRO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2005, 03:46 PM
Senior Moderator Manager

Moderator of ...
Info Center
Star Trek

So glad that I'm not the only who hates the whole Andy & Amanda thing. And now they're trying to tell us that she was on the verge of leaving her husband before his stroke? It just seems like they're rewriting the character's history to me and I don't buy it.

Loved that we got more Bright in this eppy than we have in a long time. He's really cute with Hannah, she brings out a whole different side to him. Liked seeing his interaction with Ephram too.

Can anybody help me out with the name of the song which was playing in the background during the last scene?

Star Trek Season Finale Survivor
Tour Guide - Fan Forum Celebrations and Events.
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2005, 03:50 PM
Fan Forum Hero

"Dice" - Finley Quaye & William Orbit.

I know this because it was played on "The O.C." and is feaured on the soundtrack "Mix 1".

icon
smoothaise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2005, 03:57 PM
Senior Moderator Manager

Moderator of ...
Info Center
Star Trek

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALLSTAR
"Dice" - Finley Quaye & William Orbit.

I know this because it was played on "The O.C." and is feaured on the soundtrack "Mix 1".
Thanks Ken.

Star Trek Season Finale Survivor
Tour Guide - Fan Forum Celebrations and Events.
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Fan Forum Star

Moderator of ...
Everwood

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris
Can anybody help me out with the name of the song which was playing in the background during the last scene?
"Dice" by Finley Quaye & William Orbit. This song was played on The OC during The Countdown episode in season one. Episode 14. I definitely preferred this song being played on The OC because it was so fitting with what the characters were doing at the time.. Ryan running to get to Marissa before midnight, finally getting there and the passionate kiss between them, the Seth/Anna scene (even though I love Seth/Summer ) and Sandy/Kirsten together at the end. Just perfect.

Instead, on Everwood, they waste this outstanding song during a scene with Andy/Amanda? Just not right at all.

ETA: I see you beat me to the answer, ALLSTAR. LOL

Last edited by Auror; 02-08-2005 at 05:12 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris
Thanks Ken.
No prob, Chris.

I've had that song on my iPod since October. It's a great song, and fit the closing scenes perfectly.

icon
smoothaise is offline   Reply With Quote
Fan Forum  |  Contact Us  |  Fan Forum on Twitter  |  Fan Forum on Facebook  |  Archive  |  Top