Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Closed Thread   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Thread Tools
Old 05-02-2006, 09:40 AM
Fan Forum Legend

Moderator of ...
Everwood

Some thoughts...

I found this episode decent but certainly not perfect.

The excellent? I'll get right to it.. For me, Ephram/Amy carried this episode and that is quite telling, considering they only had two scenes together and there were other storylines that were obviously "attempted" to be thrown front and center. It simply didn't matter to me. Ephram/Amy are just so dynamic and powerful. Greg/Emily knocked both scenes straight out of the park, accomplishing two huge grand slams.

Their first scene was filled with the snap, crackle and pop energy that these two are known for. I adore how they ended up fighting. The more emotions and words flying between them, the better. It only brings out how much they care about each other. That "pig" comment by Amy was priceless. Heh. So as usual, their chemistry was ever so present and seductively natural and captivating. I loved every minute of it. I adored Andy's comment to Delia while listening to Ephram/Amy fighting. Heh. More reassurance that Ephram/Amy and their dynamic is all about normalcy and for those around them, the world is back to being right again whenever they are interacting. So awesome.

The second scene where they made up was filled with layers of substance. I enjoyed watching them making tons of inferences about their relationship while talking about B/H. Man, the words exchanged and the looks given were so powerful. The look on Amy's face when Ephram talked about finding the person that you connect with on all levels was intensely telling. Amy's look was priceless and so incredibly significant. She absolutely understood that what her and Ephram have together is the real deal and that they are perfect for each other. Also, damn that EVC, being an acting miracle and all. She just nailed that look Amy gave Ephram.

We keep getting pleasantly hit over the head with the notion that E/A are PERFECT for each other. This is a theme that has started and continues on, moving forward at consistent speed. Wonderful. It makes having to endure them apart at the moment that much easier to handle, knowing we are receiving constant reassurance that they are meant to be together and WILL be together again.

How much more obvious does it have to be that these two are meant to be? Just a look between them tells this story! Again, I just love how we are being hit with this notion loud and clear. Ever since they slept together and Amy told Ephram she knows that he is "her person" we have been reminded of how true this really is in such a clear cut way. Most excellent. It's obviously only a matter of time before they are both on the same page and end up right where they belong.. Together. In the meantime, I adore that the writers keep reminding us that they will eventually get there.

Back to Ephram/Amy in this episode... So as usual, their chemistry was ever so present and seductively natural and captivating. I loved every minute of it. Hands down, Ephramy carried this episode for me. Whenever you have something so powerful going on, I simply can't help it. I know I was "instructed" to care more about the "order of importance" in this episode and there were technically bigger storylines going on over Ephram/Amy. Nah, I wasn't buying it. It was all Ephram/Amy to me.

One more thing I thoroughly enjoyed was seeing Ephram have an instant awareness and passionately reacting to Bright's cheating. I like how Ephram didn't take it lightly. I also loved how he told Bright that he would never cheat on Amy. I loved how they even integrated Ephram and his love for Amy in that scene. I thought Ephram handled the knowledge of Bright's cheating quite well. I don't think he was out of line for telling Amy. In fact, Amy was the one that came to him and even more than that, I think the fact that Ephram told Amy was another clue that Ephram/Amy just "get" each other and their bond is so intense, they cannot keep secrets from the other because they are so in tune with each other, anything and everything is revealed no matter what.

I should also note that I was overjoyed and well, all out giddy to see Amy on the screen again considering the drought that took place last week. It's no secret that she's my favorite character so I was not at all feeling that great whenever she was MIA last week. This episode certainly helped me feel better.

Okay, onto the "decent" (aka not spectacular) stuff.

Reid: I also get that I'm "instructed" to care about what is going on with him but I'm just not feeling it. I honestly really don't care too much. I'm just not moved enough by it to have an emotional reaction. I don't dislike Reid. Quite the contrary. He is nice and there really isn't anything to rip him for but I simply don't care either way I guess. I wish I did but I just don't as of right now.

Harold/Rose: Another storyline that was pretty blah to me. It was so contrived that Rose brought up the cancer bit right at that point. Of course, it was also a bit predictable that Harold's lies were going to come back to bite him which they so did. I guess I just knew that this adoption storyline was really headed for nowhere anyway so I guess I didn't feel anything signifcant towards it as a result. I love Harold/Rose interaction as a rule but this storyline really didn't keep my interest like most Harold/Rose storylines always do.

Bright/Hannah: Chris did a great job in his scenes with everyone else but I didn't feel that last scene whenever Bright told Hannah. Actually I take that back. I felt it with Sarah but not really with Chris. I actually thought Sarah knocked that scene out of the park, in fact. However, Chris didn't seem as into it. I felt his scenes with Greg and Emily but not that end scene with Sarah, the one that should have been the most powerful of the episode. I didn't even sense that Bright cared too much. I know that he did or that we are suppose to think that he did but I didn't feel it. I thought Sarah was almost trying to pull Chris to get him on the same page as her in that scene but he wasn't biting. But like I said, I thought Sarah did a nice job and when Hannah came to the revelation that Bright cheated on her, I felt her devastation engross her. Very heartbreaking. Hannah is certainly not my favorite character by any stretch of the imagination but in this scene, I really felt for her. And I highly dislike the message being sent with this cheating storyline so that only irks me all the more.

Irv/Edna: I love these two. Always have. But I found myself extremely bored in their scenes which is a first for me. I was conflicted because while I adore these two, the content in their storyline fell short and I wasn't able to connect at all. But still, it was nice to see them on the screen, nevertheless.

Overall, it was a decent episode. Certainly not one of the best. I think it fell short in a couple of areas. However, Ephramy was priceless so that was well worth it.

In fact, the E/A quotes in this episode were so spectacular, I will end this by listing some of the best ones:

Quote:
Amy: Well, I'd like to believe that all men aren't total pigs, but right now you all totally are!
Ephram: Oh, okay, so I'm a pig, now?
Amy: Well, you're part of the pig problem!

Ephram: What would you do? Would you have forgiven me?
Amy: Probably not, but you would never have done what Bright did.
Ephram: Yeah, true. Only cause I know you would have come after me with a knife.

Amy: I know, but I still had hope. I just want to believe that people can work out if they really want to, you know?
Ephram: It always seems like there's so many people that you could work out with.. But.. In reality, it's almost impossible to find somebody that you connect with on all levels. Not just one level.
Amy: (Amy gazes at Ephram) Yeah, it is.

I love E/A.

Last edited by jediwands; 05-02-2006 at 07:37 PM
Old 05-02-2006, 11:10 AM
Addicted Fan

Does anyone know the song that was played during the very last scene with Bright was telling Hannah that he cheated??? Please let me know!!! Thanks!

Icon credit: IceQueenFollower
Old 05-03-2006, 06:42 AM
Elite Fan

I believe that song was "A Sorta Fairytale" by Tori Amos
Old 05-03-2006, 08:14 AM
Passionate Fan

I guess the record breaking episodes of Ephram not bugging me had to end. I was annoyed at both Ephram and Amy for standing on a high horse after everything they've pulled.

My opinion on Bright telling Hannah is this. Everyone says truth is always better but the question is better for whom. Sometimes people tell the truth to bring them closer to someone. Sometimes it's to earn trust. But often it is done solely to make the person telling the truth feel better and serves no purpose to the other party except to cause pain. Sometimes there are bad deeds one SHOULD bury and this was one of them. The purpose in Bright telling the truth is that he was under duress by Amy and had nothing to do with Hannah.

If Amy noticed a pattern of deceit by Bright then it would've been appropriate for her to step in. For an incident in isolation in terms of the fact that guy involved was her brother she imho was overstepping her bounds. And it had everything to do with her constant pattern of standing on a high horse rather than any concern for Amy or Hannah.

I know reflexively almost everyone in theory is pro-truth. But some facts only cause pain and should be swept under the carpet.

As for Reid. If he does commit suicide. Can it be a suicide pact also involving Jake and Hannah?
I'm bored and you're bald. But I laughed when you called me the snail. My trail runs behind me. I'm guilty. No secrets. You're not such a picture yourself
Old 05-05-2006, 04:06 AM
Dedicated Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilpen
Some thoughts.. I found this episode decent but certainly not perfect.

The excellent? I'll get right to it.. For me, Ephram/Amy carried this episode and that is quite telling, considering they only had two scenes together and there were other storylines that were obviously "attempted" to be thrown front and center. It simply didn't matter to me. Ephram/Amy are just so dynamic and powerful. Greg/Emily knocked both scenes straight out of the park, accomplishing two huge grand slams.

Their first scene was filled with the snap, crackle and pop energy that these two are known for. I adore how they ended up fighting. The more emotions and words flying between them, the better. It only brings out how much they care about each other. That "pig" comment by Amy was priceless. Heh. So as usual, their chemistry was ever so present and seductively natural and captivating. I loved every minute of it. I adored Andy's comment to Delia while listening to Ephram/Amy fighting. Heh. More reassurance that Ephram/Amy and their dynamic is all about normalcy and for those around them, the world is back to being right again whenever they are interacting. So awesome.

The second scene where they made up was filled with layers of substance. I enjoyed watching them making tons of inferences about their relationship while talking about B/H. Man, the words exchanged and the looks given were so powerful. The look on Amy's face when Ephram talked about finding the person that you connect with on all levels was intensely telling. Amy's look was priceless and so incredibly significant. She absolutely understood that what her and Ephram have together is the real deal and that they are perfect for each other. Also, damn that EVC, being an acting miracle and all. She just nailed that look Amy gave Ephram.

We keep getting pleasantly hit over the head with the notion that E/A are PERFECT for each other. This is a theme that has started and continues on, moving forward at consistent speed. Wonderful. It makes having to endure them apart at the moment that much easier to handle, knowing we are receiving constant reassurance that they are meant to be together and WILL be together again.

How much more obvious does it have to be that these two are meant to be? Just a look between them tells this story! Again, I just love how we are being hit with this notion loud and clear. Ever since they slept together and Amy told Ephram she knows that he is "her person" we have been reminded of how true this really is in such a clear cut way. Most excellent. It's obviously only a matter of time before they are both on the same page and end up right where they belong.. Together. In the meantime, I adore that the writers keep reminding us that they will eventually get there.

Back to Ephram/Amy in this episode... So as usual, their chemistry was ever so present and seductively natural and captivating. I loved every minute of it. Hands down, Ephramy carried this episode for me. Whenever you have something so powerful going on, I simply can't help it. I know I was "instructed" to care more about the "order of importance" in this episode and there were technically bigger storylines going on over Ephram/Amy. Nah, I wasn't buying it. It was all Ephram/Amy to me.
You have just convinced me that the story of Ephram and Amy is really going to where everybody wants it to go - getting together. As you all know, though, UPN and the WB are merging into the CW. If they cancel Everwood, which would make season 4 its last season, do you think the creators will be aiming at a 'get-together' for Ephram and Amy in the end of the season? Because if that happened, I would be satisfied. I mean I'd still long for Everwood, but I'd be happy that the series ended the way it should. If the CW approves them and they continue with season 5, what do you think would happen to the Ephram and Amy storyline then? Would they just 'delay' it for a while? I heard Berlanti had a meeting with the president of the CW, Dawn Ostroff, results of which were very positive. Greg had some 'great ideas for season 5' as they wrote. Tell me what you think of all this, cause I'd really like feedback on this matter.

As for the episode, I haven't seen it yet, but it's downloading on my home PC [I'm currently writing this from a school computer]. Everwood is always downloading while I'm away, heck, it's downloading 24/7. As you say, it's good so I'll be looking forward to seeing it Let's see what time brings us concerning the end of season 4 and the fate of the overall series. Let's hope for the best
Old 05-05-2006, 12:38 PM
Fan Forum Legend

Moderator of ...
Everwood

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amont
You have just convinced me that the story of Ephram and Amy is really going to where everybody wants it to go - getting together.
Aww, thanks.

Quote:
As you all know, though, UPN and the WB are merging into the CW. If they cancel Everwood, which would make season 4 its last season, do you think the creators will be aiming at a 'get-together' for Ephram and Amy in the end of the season? Because if that happened, I would be satisfied. I mean I'd still long for Everwood, but I'd be happy that the series ended the way it should.
I really do believe IF the series ends after season 4, E/A get the happy ending. I do. Even with Rina technically in charge. Thankfully, Berlanti is speculated to be firmly involved in what's going on at the moment so my guess is not only will E/A get the happy ending but we will get Berlanti writing it as well, which can only make it that much more sweet.

And yes, I completely agree, E/A ending up together is THE ONLY fitting way to end this series for both characters. If they do not end up together, this series will have fallen short in my mind and well, in the minds of many.

Quote:
If the CW approves them and they continue with season 5, what do you think would happen to the Ephram and Amy storyline then? Would they just 'delay' it for a while?
That's my guess. They will take their getting together at a much slower pace. Without going into spoilers, in an interview with Greg Smith, he even said that two endings were filmed. One if the series ends after season 4 and another one if it's only the season finale of 4 and season 5 does happen. So depending on what develops with the merger, will determine which version they air.

Quote:
I heard Berlanti had a meeting with the president of the CW, Dawn Ostroff, results of which were very positive. Greg had some 'great ideas for season 5' as they wrote. Tell me what you think of all this, cause I'd really like feedback on this matter.
Yeah, I heard about this as well. See in my mind, I honesty think the CWs mind is already made up. And it's more than obvious that the shows they are deciding to take are NOT necessarily the highest in quality or even the highest in ratings. It's all about politics and for that very reason, to be brutally honest, I am not very hopeful that Everwood makes the cut. I really and truly hope I'm wrong.

Now if this new network was going with the formula of quality and ratings to determine what shows to take, Everwood would be the top show or two they would instantly take. Of course, that's not happening as we know. Yeah, politics come into place and the strong spec that is being circulated right now is the CW is extremely biased with the shows on the UPN network. The WB shows are the ones that are going to take the hit. Sad but true, considering the higher quality shows are on the WB. That makes so much sense.

Quote:
As for the episode, I haven't seen it yet, but it's downloading on my home PC [I'm currently writing this from a school computer]. Everwood is always downloading while I'm away, heck, it's downloading 24/7. As you say, it's good so I'll be looking forward to seeing it Let's see what time brings us concerning the end of season 4 and the fate of the overall series. Let's hope for the best
Yep, exactly. Let's hope for the best. It's all we can do.

That's so great that you are such a huge fan of the show. Of course, so am I and so are so many people that frequent this board. It's great to read your post and I hope to hear more from you in the future. Please come back and write your thoughts on this episode, okay?

Last edited by jediwands; 05-05-2006 at 12:43 PM
Old 05-05-2006, 01:24 PM
Dedicated Fan

How'd you get that I'm such a 'great fan' ? Actually, I discovered the show quite late, sometime when they had shown about 1/3 of the first season. Heck, I'll paste the 'story of how I got hooked' here [from another board]:
On a windy autumn evening, after I'd got home from school, I swung my backpack under the table as usual, got something to eat from the kitchen and sat down on the couch and started watching TV. That was my usual daily routine. But as fate would have it, it was time for a change. I was flipping through the channels, and finally stopped on one of them. Yeah, of course Everwood was on. I don't exactly remember which episode I was watching back then, but I remember there was a boy and a girl, having a walk in the rain. That's what my consciousness tells me. I've absolutely no idea if there has ever been something like that on Everwood, but if there has been, my memory is good.
So as I sat there I thought that this thing's cool. It really left me watching until the end. Then I didn't know what I had just seen so I got the TV guide and checked what it was, and in the process I also wrote down when the next episode was going to be shown. Sadly, there were only a couple of them following, and then they stopped showing it. But I was already fascinated by the show.
Next summer I was flipping through the TV guide again after I'd come home from swimming in a nearby lake. And I saw that Everwood was on again - every day! That summer was probably the best I've ever had. I could watch season 1 again, 'cause they were reshowing it. And how happy I was. I set my alarm clock to ring 5 minutes before the start of the show, and whenever it rang I would stop whatever I was doing, if I was far away from home [I live in the countryside] I would run inside and tune in. It was an awesome period.
As summer came to an end, so ended the showings as well. And for weeks I checked every channel so as to find Everwood, somewhere. But in vain. For a long time I couldn't see any of Everwood. But one day I discovered a finnish channel called MTV3, which was in the end of season 3. Up until now I've been viewing season 4 from MTV, but now I discovered I can download all of Everwood from the net. Thus episode 4x16 is currently finishing its download. Also, on our own state channel, they began with season 2 some time ago. So I'm watching season 2 [which is ending quite soon, then season 3 which I haven't seen at all and which should be awesome because of all the E/A!] and 4 simultaneously, which gives me a viewing period of twice a week. Which is actually quite good.. I guess? Soon I'll have the whole of season 1 downloaded on my PC, yea!
Old 05-05-2006, 05:39 PM
Fan Forum Legend

Moderator of ...
Everwood

Amont, that's an outstanding story.

Thanks for sharing. I am so glad that you are catching up and able to see all the episodes. Most excellent.

Are you a fan of any of the romantic pairings on the show?
Old 05-05-2006, 11:09 PM
Dedicated Fan

Ephram and Amy all the way! The whole season 1 got me in awe. It was like telling my own lifestory and I was shocked at that. Real shocked. Cause it was so good.
Old 05-06-2006, 05:49 AM
Fan Forum Legend

Moderator of ...
Everwood

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amont
Ephram and Amy all the way! The whole season 1 got me in awe. It was like telling my own lifestory and I was shocked at that. Real shocked. Cause it was so good.
Outstanding.

E/A are my favorite pairing of all time for endless reasons. No other pairing can compare in my mind.
Old 05-06-2006, 08:49 AM
Master Fan

Thanks so much btw Michelle for posting those quotes! I LOVE that pig one, and the other two
Old 05-06-2006, 01:11 PM
Dedicated Fan

Okay so now I've watched the episode, too. I really didn't like what Bright did to Hannah and now I had to see the aftermath of all this. As Amy and Ephram conclude, Bright has to tell her. This can't be kept a secret. But I understand Bright too, he knows he made a mistake and he regrets this to the fullest. It's best shown when Amy goes to confront him and she finally asks: Then why the hell did you do it? The moment Bright flaps his backpack down the table is when you really see that he 'hates the Bright inside him that acted so stupidly' if you get my point. He wants to 'destroy' his need that might be frowned upon, but is totally humane - his need to have sex. He knows he can't, though. And that's why he hates himself for having done what he did. It's not Hannah who loses most in this case, it's Bright who needs serious help now to overcome his hatred towards himself. That's what I think of this.
This episode really made me feel for Reid, in a way I never had before. I know the feeling he has, in my school I've felt the same - too much to study all the time. And he put it very right imo - 'it's like they want everyone to fail'. I really am sorry for him, getting expelled and all that. He just wanted to be a doctor. The authorities of that med school should realise they're really pushing their students to the realms of impossibility. Reid was really trying to cope with it, but it was just too much. And as they said, the other students didn't do well, either. If Reid hadn't studied, he would've got the same bad result, I guess. He had really great ambitions, and to see him getting expelled for just trying to fulfill his dream of life.. it's just sad. I hope he gets it sorted out somehow - maybe go work at Jake's practice? He offered Reid a job, didn't he? Maybe Jake, now that he's working with this support group and everything, might see Reid as a 'challenge' for him - and Jake's sense of pity might lead him to helping Reid through this problem. Just like in some previous episode where there was a car crash. Remember? Well the point is that Reid and Jake should/might become friends and Jake might help him out, now that he's working with this support group thingie. I know it's about addicts, but he might be of great help to Reid.
The adoption thing for Harold and Rose isn't really interesting for me.. they might adopt some child, but with honesty and cooperation through the process. And the child has to be nice, too. Anyhow, this storyline isn't really my thing, I guess.
Cassie was a noob. Didn't like her at all.
Ephram and Amy in the end rocked. I loved the way the conversation ended. They're just too good on screen. 'I guess I have to go to work..' 'Don't be late..' They smile. Perfect.
Anyhow, nice little episode, expecting to see the next one pretty damn soon!
Old 05-06-2006, 01:40 PM
Fan Forum Legend

Moderator of ...
Everwood

Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleBehryGrl23
Thanks so much btw Michelle for posting those quotes! I LOVE that pig one, and the other two
Welcome.

I know, seriously, the best E/A quotes hit this episode. So great!

Amont, excellent thoughts.

Regarding Reid and medical school: I was watching this episode with my friend and the first thing she said was, "I can't believe they are just dumping him from the program like that! No probation, not a severe warning, just expulsion."

So true. It did seem a little extreme. Granted, this is medical school and not undergrad or grad school but still...

For instance, a very good friend of mine is in medical school (she's almost finished) and she actually knew someone that got caught cheating on a FINAL exam her first year. It was a final exam, worth a ton of points towards your final grade. Anyway, that girl was put on probation and ended up having to take the class completely over as a result. She was closely watched from that point on. But the point is, they didn't expel her immediately. She got a stiff sentence but certainly nothing close to getting kicked out.

I guess it really is up to the institution, though. Who knows.

Amont, I love your great point about Bright's cheating being about him and not Hannah. I completely agree. I think this time apart from Hannah will allow him to clear his head and figure out a few things.
Old 05-06-2006, 06:05 PM
Administrator

I have very mixed feelings about this episode, because while I most definitely believe that Bright was wrong to cheat on Hannah, I do feel that he genuinely regretted doing it, and I also feel that he genuinely loves Hannah, so I don’t see what was gained by his telling her that he cheated on her, except to break her heart and most likely cause the end of their romantic relationship. Cheating is most definitely wrong, but I think that both Ephram and Amy overstepped their boundaries by basically forcing Bright to confess to Hannah that he had cheated on her, and now he’ll be dealing with those consequences.

I also thought that Rose’s reaction to her discovery that Harold had lied about the fact that she had cancer was very realistic, where she was angry and hurt at first, but she finally realized that Harold was doing it because he felt certain that they wouldn’t be considered as prospective candidates to adopt a child if her medical history was revealed. Still though, Harold was wrong to lie, and he did pay the consequences for that lie.

During that episode, I kept on thinking that Andy would unwittingly reveal that Rose had cancer when that counselor was interviewing him, because Andy has, at times, said the wrong thing at the wrong time, but in the end, it was best that Rose herself revealed the truth about her medical condition.

As much as I enjoyed seeing Ephram and Amy talk, fight, and exchange words laden with hidden subtext, I’ve grown tired of the protracted tease that we’ve all been subjected to with them, and I think that Amy either needs to forgive Ephram and realize that she still loves him and wants to be with him, or she needs to let him go so they can both move on with their lives.

I wish I could care about Reid, but I don’t. I do feel, however, that it would be realistic for a medical school to expel a cheater, as physicians, or future physicians, literally have patients’ lives in their hands, so cheating would especially not be tolerated in that profession.

There are those who look at things the way they are and ask why - I dream of things that never were and ask why not. - Robert F. Kennedy
Old 05-06-2006, 07:24 PM
Fan Forum Legend

Moderator of ...
Everwood

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry D
As much as I enjoyed seeing Ephram and Amy talk, fight, and exchange words laden with hidden subtext, I’ve grown tired of the protracted tease that we’ve all been subjected to with them, and I think that Amy either needs to forgive Ephram and realize that she still loves him and wants to be with him, or she needs to let him go so they can both move on with their lives.
Yes, while I love that E/A are slowly showing signs of eventually reuniting, it is still moving rather slowly. The pace does need to pick up, especially with the knowledge that this just might be the last handful of episodes of the entire series.

However, for me, their chemistry is so magnificent, I just eat up their scenes, nevertheless. I do want progression but I am such a sucker for their dynamic and intense connection that they have the minute they hit the screen together, I am still enjoying all of their scenes even if I keep secretly shouting at the screen for their story to FF a bit.

Quote:
I wish I could care about Reid, but I don’t. I do feel, however, that it would be realistic for a medical school to expel a cheater, as physicians, or future physicians, literally have patients’ lives in their hands, so cheating would especially not be tolerated in that profession.
I agree as well. Even though it certainly was extreme, it also was very realistic. I think what was kind of off, though, was that they really didn't even explore the exact details of what went on with regards to the cheating. They sort of went with what the two other students said, saw that Reid's past performances on tests weren't great and they had their minds made up. Granted, Reid pretty much admitted it, but I do feel like things went by so quickly. Reid could barely get in a word edge-wise. I am all for second chances, though, so maybe my personal bias is coming into play as well.
Closed Thread   Post New Thread