Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Reply   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Tags Thread Tools
Old 04-07-2012, 12:08 AM
Master Fan

Yeah, that's an excellent point about Bright seeing the affect of the drama on his sister and on his best friend and so he wouldn't want to see that again. I think he would have been very happy for them in S5, but he would also be apprehensive about any drama. He might play a big of a peacekeeper just to make sure they don't start anything again!

I wonder if he felt the same way about Colin and Amy. They had their share of drama, and he saw the affects of Colin on Amy when Colin was in the coma. He knew how much Colin meant to her, and how close she came to not caring about the world when he was in his coma, or when he died. Amy has, for better or for worse, always invested herself fully into a relationship. When it's over, it crushes her. Bright saw that firsthand. He had to be in the home when she was fighting with Rose and Harold or running away, I really felt bad for him in S2. And then Ephram after Madison, he similarly puts himself into relationships in such a major way. So, yeah, no wonder he wouldn't' want that to happen with Ephram and Amy. He'd have to deal with at home AND outside of the home! He'd be surrounded by pain.
“[People] talk to me about these characters as if they’re real, and they’re not real, but they’ve become real...I really think, shows like this one, you have an attachment to them. They’re like friends you check in on."
-Greg Berlanti on Everwood
'Tos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 12:49 AM
Master Fan

I think that Bright was younger and not so wise when there was drama between Colin and Amy. He grew up in Season 4 and he was able to see and realize some things that he didn't see in Season 1.

In Season 1 it was different - the different Colin was shock for both Amy and Bright. They both had to deal with this and they did it differently. There was drama for both siblings - Amy suffering that the love of her life is in coma, Bright feeling guilty for putting his best friend in coma and as a result being the reason for his sister suffer. It was worse - Amy was hurt and he felt guilty.

So later he didn't want to see his sister suffer, but he also didn't want to see his best friend suffer, so he thought that it's best for them to not be together again, because they wouldn't bear the suffer again and he wouldn't either. Also in that moment (especially in the series finale) he'd suffered breakup too - yes he did cheat Hannah, but that doesn't mean that he wasn't hurt of loosing her.

So I think that in Season 4 he knew more, he was wiser, he was smarter and he didn't want to see more hurt in their group - they were divided enough by his cheat and he didn't think that they need another problem like that. This would mean either loosing his sister or his best friend.
Old 04-08-2012, 12:07 PM
Master Fan

Ooh, excellent point about how the group was already divided because of him and he didn't want to see any more of that. I also think Bright kind of liked Ephram and Amy as friends. Like when the three of them, or the four of them with Hannah, hang out, Bright likes that dynamic. Ephram and Amy are much more peaceful and aloof and happy when they're being friends with each other is how I think he would see it, so it's not like he doesn't want them to be together, but he might prefer them to be friends if he thinks that's going to cause the least amount of pain for everyone involved.

I wonder what his reaction would be to the Ferris Wheel if we did get S5 and Amy was left alone. Would he have been mad at Ephram like most fans would have been, even if Ephram didn't know Amy was out there? Or would he have told Amy it was silly? I wonder. *rubs chin*
“[People] talk to me about these characters as if they’re real, and they’re not real, but they’ve become real...I really think, shows like this one, you have an attachment to them. They’re like friends you check in on."
-Greg Berlanti on Everwood
'Tos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 08:42 PM
Master Fan

Yeah, good point. Bright wanted them as friends, because they were peaceful that way.

Well I wouldn't be mad at Ephram if we had Season 5, because for Amy "too little too late" is good expression. He told her how he feels about her, she told him to wait. Well, he wouldn't wait all his life, so not all fans would be mad at him. I personally would love such finale . It would be her wakeup call to realize that she shouldn't be so selfish. In Ghosts her speech how she wants to live, but he should wait because he is her guy was selfish in a way that I can't imagine (she should have let him go, it was better for both of them for the moment). I'm selfish person and I wouldn't do this .

And I think that Bright would think like me - he would actually tell his sister that she had her options and she lost it. Bright would be on Ephram's side - he might say to Amy though that she has to try harder and this time she has to work for Ephram's heart. Oh I would love that - to see once how Amy is the one that has to convince Ephram to get back to her . Indeed it was always easy for her (except in Season 3, but then Ephram wasn't really Ephram ) - she bats her eye lashes and he is back with her.
Old 06-16-2012, 06:44 PM
Fan Forum Hero

I love this title and I always loved thier relationship even though Bright seemed like a bully at first.
Old 06-16-2012, 09:12 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by loganandroryforever (View Post)
I love this title and I always loved thier relationship even though Bright seemed like a bully at first.
I love this title because I absolutely adore that scene. This was the very first time I actually believed in the possibility of Bright and Ephram as true friends. The fact that he advocated for him to be with Amy was proof that Ephram was finally respected and accepted.
everwoodfan52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2012, 04:08 AM
Master Fan

Thanks for reviving the thread Rachel!

I loved that scene too for lots of reasons. It brought depth of Bright's character. I mean at first sight when I look the guy, I wouldn't expect from him to be so wise and say so many truths to his sister. He did it though. I liked how he explained why Ephram is not that bad. Yeah at that moment I think that Bright had finally accepted Ephram and even more he had even realized why Amy was hanging around Ephram in the first season (after it was clear that there was something more than her wanting help for Colin). Those two came along long ride (starting from the episode where Bright asked Ephram to be at the keg party to help Amy) till the point where Bright would consider Ephram his best friend.

On top of that it was scene between Amy and Bright and after Ephram and Delia, that was the other sister/brother relationship that I loved to watch. They were so good together. They complemented each other in a perfect way.
Old 06-17-2012, 09:28 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by everwoodfan52 (View Post)
I love this title because I absolutely adore that scene. This was the very first time I actually believed in the possibility of Bright and Ephram as true friends. The fact that he advocated for him to be with Amy was proof that Ephram was finally respected and accepted.
I agree Betty and SecretK. no problem, I can post more now.
Old 09-18-2013, 06:29 AM
Master Fan

Reviving this thread because well we have to talk about them too .

And the male friendships as a whole if you want. But for the new participants in the discussion or old ones that want to post in this thread you could just say why you liked them or not (hey I'm liberal so I accept those comments too).

If you have some reasons to add the OP thread or banners they are welcome as well!
Old 09-18-2013, 07:21 AM
Fan Forum Legend

Moderator of ...
Everwood

YAY, Koni, thanks for reviving your thread! This thread is brand new to me since I wasn't posting much during this time period for personal reasons. I just noticed I posted one time at the beginning and that's it. Boo. I am going to read through the thread in order to get caught up and then make some comments.
jediwands is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 07:32 AM
Master Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mich1111 (View Post)
YAY, Koni, thanks for reviving your thread! This thread is brand new to me since I wasn't posting much during this time period for personal reasons. I just noticed I posted one time at the beginning and that's it. Boo. I am going to read through the thread in order to get caught up and then make some comments.
I noticed this too.
Just ignore please my opinion of Amy and don't feel offended by it (there is some mentioning in the thread that's why I warn you beforehand ). We all know what it is and I just don't want to argue about this. We obviously feel different. I think that there are other interesting stuff regarding Bright/Ephram dynamics that we could discuss and I am really interested to read your opinion.
Old 09-18-2013, 02:01 PM
Fan Forum Legend

Moderator of ...
Everwood

Quote:
Originally Posted by secretk (View Post)
I noticed this too.
Just ignore please my opinion of Amy and don't feel offended by it (there is some mentioning in the thread that's why I warn you beforehand ). We all know what it is and I just don't want to argue about this. We obviously feel different. I think that there are other interesting stuff regarding Bright/Ephram dynamics that we could discuss and I am really interested to read your opinion.
It's totally okay.

I am caught up now!

Very interesting read... I especially liked reading the discussion on why Bright behaved the way he did in season 1 and who was better friends, Bright/Colin or Bright/Ephram.

I kind of feel like Bright behaved the way he did in season 1 towards Ephram because he was scared to death over the fate of Colin. He carried so much guilt. He felt like he didn't protect Colin from suffering the brain injury so he was going to protect him the best way he could while he was in a coma which was keeping anyone away from Amy who could threaten his relationship with her. Bright saw Ephram as a threat and he tried to protect Colin by keeping Ephram/Amy away from each other.

I also think he didn't like seeing Amy initially spending happy moments with Ephram because it did mean she could be moving on and in his mind, she was forgetting about Colin and that was a scary thought for him. He didn't want to forget about Colin. If he went there, that would mean Colin wasn't coming back and he was directly held responsible (in his mind) for why that was taking place.

For Bright, actively protecting Colin's girlfriend (Amy, his sister) from a guy she had an obvious connection with in Ephram meant he was keeping Colin ALIVE while Colin was suffering from the coma. Bright had to keep Colin alive in his mind because if not, it meant that he killed him. Very sad.

I loved the scene between Bright and Ephram back in season 1 when Bright pretty much ordered Ephram to go to that party to watch over Amy because he was the only one who could make her smile. That was so sweet. Of course it all backfired since Ephram got loaded, a body part of his met a bush, then a cop got involved and it was a mess but a funny mess.

As far as better friendship... I definitely think you can hardly compare because Bright/Colin and Bright/Ephram really did have different types of friendships. Bright and Colin had the childhood friendship that was untouchable, innocent and so sweet but to me, Bright/Ephram had a more mature, balanced friendship overall. I guess if you compare in romantic terms... Bright/Colin had that innocent "first love" that was immature but unforgettable whereas Bright/Ephram had the mature, balanced, long term recipe for an adult friendship.

And those are my thoughts at the moment.

Last edited by jediwands; 09-18-2013 at 02:10 PM
Old 09-18-2013, 02:21 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Thanks for reviving this thread, Koni!!

Quote:
I loved the scene between Bright and Ephram back in season 1 when Bright pretty much ordered Ephram to go to that party to watch over Amy because he was the only one who could make her smile.
I also loved when the two of them went to the college kegger to save Amy and Ephram impressed Bright so much with those manga skills.

Quote:
As far as better friendship... I definitely think you can hardly compare because Bright/Colin and Bright/Ephram really did have different types of friendships. Bright and Colin had the childhood friendship that was untouchable, innocent and so sweet but to me, Bright/Ephram had a more mature, balanced friendship overall.
I totally agree that the Bright/Ephram friendship was the deeper...mature..for the long term friendship. The two of them were so opposite....yet so compatible. I loved their friendship so much.
everwoodfan52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 07:12 PM
Fan Forum Legend

Moderator of ...
Everwood

Quote:
Originally Posted by Betty
I also loved when the two of them went to the college kegger to save Amy and Ephram impressed Bright so much with those manga skills.
I loved that, too.

Quote:
I totally agree that the Bright/Ephram friendship was the deeper...mature..for the long term friendship. The two of them were so opposite....yet so compatible. I loved their friendship so much.
Totally and completely. They just clicked. I loved when Bright and Amy had that conversation about Ephram and how he was just a funny guy and they both were talking love about Ephram together.

These quotes:

Quote:
Bright: Truth is, Ephram, there is a silver lining. You just fail to see it. I think that's part of your problem.
Ephram: Thank you, Dr. Phil.
Bright: No, seriously. You came here on your first day and you met Amy. Because you're all wiggy in love with her, it takes your mind off what probably would've been a pretty nightmare year.
Ephram: I was not wiggy.
I loved that exchange.

Quote:
Ephram: It's like tragedy's the only thing we have in common. It's practically the reason we're friends.
Bright: So, you know, at least we all found each other. We are friends.
Ephram: But the point is, we got screwed. We're like way older than it says on our driver's licenses.
^ Right there is another reason why Ephram, Amy, and Bright all bonded... loss. Ephram is right... they all had to grow up way earlier than they should have. If you think about it, it is amazing the things they did wrong were so minor... Amy's depression and acting out, Ephram not listening to Andy in season 2 much, at all, Bright having some issues with grades, etc. All three of them bonded over loss and acted out but eventually they always got back on their feet and prevailed. They were flawed but it was the dynamics they had together that got them through tough times.
Old 09-18-2013, 09:14 PM
Master Fan

No problem! I hope that we will have fun in the thread.

Quote:
I kind of feel like Bright behaved the way he did in season 1 towards Ephram because he was scared to death over the fate of Colin. He carried so much guilt. He felt like he didn't protect Colin from suffering the brain injury so he was going to protect him the best way he could while he was in a coma which was keeping anyone away from Amy who could threaten his relationship with her. Bright saw Ephram as a threat and he tried to protect Colin by keeping Ephram/Amy away from each other.
I totally agree with this.

Quote:
I also think he didn't like seeing Amy initially spending happy moments with Ephram because it did mean she could be moving on and in his mind, she was forgetting about Colin and that was a scary thought for him. He didn't want to forget about Colin. If he went there, that would mean Colin wasn't coming back and he was directly held responsible (in his mind) for why that was taking place.
Yeah that was definitely in play. If Amy was moving on then this would really mean that Colin is gone.

Quote:
For Bright, actively protecting Colin's girlfriend (Amy, his sister) from a guy she had an obvious connection with in Ephram meant he was keeping Colin ALIVE while Colin was suffering from the coma. Bright had to keep Colin alive in his mind because if not, it meant that he killed him. Very sad.
And he felt the obligation to protect her because Colin was his best friend (hence the comment how Colin would kick Ephram's a$$). Add this to the guilt he felt about the accident and it does explain some things.

Quote:
I loved the scene between Bright and Ephram back in season 1 when Bright pretty much ordered Ephram to go to that party to watch over Amy because he was the only one who could make her smile. That was so sweet. Of course it all backfired since Ephram got loaded, a body part of his met a bush, then a cop got involved and it was a mess but a funny mess.
Yeah to be honest that scene showed to me that Bright was more definitely more than jerk or bully. The first few episodes he was like the bully jock and I didn't spend too much time thinking why he's acting this way. This scene though - the way he protects his sister it made me think and wonder because just stupid jock won't act this way. This act showed to me that Bright had his layers too that were about to uncover in the next episodes and they so did.
Quote:
As far as better friendship... I definitely think you can hardly compare because Bright/Colin and Bright/Ephram really did have different types of friendships. Bright and Colin had the childhood friendship that was untouchable, innocent and so sweet but to me, Bright/Ephram had a more mature, balanced friendship overall. I guess if you compare in romantic terms... Bright/Colin had that innocent "first love" that was immature but unforgettable whereas Bright/Ephram had the mature, balanced, long term recipe for an adult friendship.
That's true, but the idea is more about the prospect because Colin/Bright friendship ended only as childhood friendship because Colin died as child. We can't know for sure what would have happened if Colin had lived. I actually think that Colin and Ephram had some things in common and that just like with Amy there was a reason why Bright aggravated towards them.

Quote:
^ Right there is another reason why Ephram, Amy, and Bright all bonded... loss. Ephram is right... they all had to grow up way earlier than they should have. If you think about it, it is amazing the things they did wrong were so minor... Amy's depression and acting out, Ephram not listening to Andy in season 2 much, at all, Bright having some issues with grades, etc. All three of them bonded over loss and acted out but eventually they always got back on their feet and prevailed. They were flawed but it was the dynamics they had together that got them through tough times.
It sums it up good right? They had this thing in common. However in most cases they complemented each other. It's other topic that Bright most probably won't seek Ephram's friendship if Colin had survived.

However to be selfish I would say that while the reasons for them not acting like the super typical teens is dramatic and sad I am also happy because I think that Everwood escaped the stereotype of the annoying teens that care about meaningless drama. This made the series more interesting because let's face it for the most part what they were dealing is more interesting than the few pars where we had the typical teen dramas (Kayla and Paige ring a bell?).