Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Reply   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Tags Thread Tools
Old 03-21-2012, 12:43 AM
Master Fan

I asked this question, because I have to admit that I'm on the fence with that one. I think that Colin and Bright had something that Ephram and Bright would never have - their childhood. That's something that Bright would never forget. And we saw in the Season 4 premiere - he still remembered his years with Colin. Of course that doesn't mean that he wouldn't be good friends with Ephram. The things were just different. Colin was like Bright, they could party together, they could do sports together, they could go to movies together and discuss girls. And that's perfectly fine.

Ephram and Bright discussing Bright's latest girl? Sounds weird, not that they wouldn't do it, but if Colin was alive, I'm sure that Bright would talk to the latter.

The other reason why I'm on the fence is the fact that I actually liked Colin. I was able to relate to him, to his struggles after the first surgery and I still think that he acted like a jerk, because Amy lied to him. Don't get me wrong, but she did. No one likes to be lied and they did exactly that with him. I believe that if he wasn't so sick, he wouldn't be so angry or violent. So I can't hate him for the fact that he was pissed that someone who claims to love him, is lying to him. I would be pissed too.

I also think that Colin was the alpha boy in the story, so when Colin died, Bright felt alone and rejected by the other Colin's followers. And that's why he become Ephram's friend, because he was able to relate to him feeling like an outcast.

Yeah, Ephram helped him change, I agree with that, but Bright was able to do it, because of Colin's death. He might have not been depressed like Amy, but this story changed him. The guilt he felt made him wanting to change and rehabilitate himself. Having said that Colin actually helped him to grow up, just not in the direct way.

Do I think that Ephram and Bright would have become friends so fast if Colin was alive - definitely not. At least not that fast. Let's not forget however that Ephram didn't want that friendship either. I can't say that this was only Bright's fault. Bright acted like a jerk in the beginning, though he had his motives. The fact however is that after the surgery Colin was the one that approached Ephram and I'm sure that they would have become friends if it wasn't for Amy and the fact that Ephram liked her. The truth is that Colin treated him nice until he found out that he likes his girlfriend. And he was jealous, which is totally normal. Anyone remember what Amy did, when she thought that Hannah likes Ephram? No physical violence, yet the humiliation was there.

I really think that in different situation (no Amy contest ), the three of them might have ended up as friends. They would balance each other.
Old 03-21-2012, 09:08 AM
Addicted Fan

I think Bright and Ephram were different as friends than Bright and Colin, from what we saw, but I'm not sure I'd call either friendship better, because I really think that had to do more with age and maturity than anything. Had Colin lived long enough (*cries*) to grow from teen to adult, we might have seen a deeper, more mature friendship between him and Bright as well. The moments between the two of them in Home, for instance, showed the potential for a deeper, more mature friendship between them.
Old 03-21-2012, 09:21 AM
Master Fan

Yeah, I really liked their scenes in Home. In fact that's how I was convinced that they were indeed really good friends, but before the accident they were kids and it wasn't that uncommon for them to act like kids.

The way however the whole thing was handled, the fact that Colin didn't think that Bright was guilty meant to me that this whole story helped them both to mature. I really liked Colin.

My father's best friend died when they were younger (in totally different situation and circumstances, still really tragic though). I can tell you that he has other friends, but he would never consider them so close like that one. The fact that I know about him and I've never seen him or his picture, because he died before I was even born means a lot. He would always remember him.
Old 03-21-2012, 09:42 AM
Fan Forum Hero

I agree that the Bright/Colin friendship was equal to the Bright/Ephram friend in quality....although the maturity level was different.
Bright and Colin got the stupid young/punk stuff out to the way. Bright and Ephram didn't have an opportunity to do stuff like that, because they were older. If Colin had survived *here's a hankie, Taryn* ....Bright and Colin would have matured together. In the Bright/Ephram friendship...I believe that Ephram was the mature one and he helped Bright to grow in that way.
Their friendship was on it's way to being a very deep, grownup relationship.
It would have been the same with Bright and Colin if they had the opportunity to grow older as friends.

I agree with you, Koni, in that Bright did feel left out after Colin died and he didn't relate as much to his "popular" friends as he did before. That is one of the reasons he befriended Ephram. The other reason is that he did grow to admire Ephram's attributes in comparison to his jerky friends.
everwoodfan52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 09:49 AM
Master Fan

Plus he saw how Ephram helped his sister and no matter how much Bright might joke about it, the truth is that he really loves his sister and appreciates her opinions. And Bright knew at some point that there is a reason why Amy hangs out with Ephram and it clearly wasn't only about the fact that he likes her. Something that Bright knew very well from the beginning btw.

Bright might not be the smartest one, but he knew his sister enough to know that she really likes Ephram as a friend and that she lets him near her, to see the real her. I think that this might be another reason why Bright grew to appreciate Ephram more and respect him, because of the way he treated his sister.

Taryn I guess we both like Colin. I didn't want him to die too.
Old 03-21-2012, 09:57 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Quote:
Plus he saw how Ephram helped his sister and no matter how much Bright might joke about it, the truth is that he really loves his sister and appreciates her opinions. And Bright knew at some point that there is a reason why Amy hangs out with Ephram and it clearly wasn't only about the fact that he likes her. Something that Bright knew very well from the beginning btw.
Bright saw Ephram and compared him to his friends who were interested in Amy. In comarison...Ephram looked pretty darn good. He realized that Ephram would be someone he could trust to be with Amy. So, when he saw that Amy cared about Ephram, he encouraged her to give Ephram a chance.

Quote:
Taryn I guess we both like Colin. I didn't want him to die too.
Oh....'Tos is crazy about him, too!!
Old 03-21-2012, 10:00 AM
Master Fan

Yeah, definitely he saw Ephram a lot more trustworthy than the one that invited Amy for miniature golf in Season 2 (I really don't remember his name).

Oh, so not everyone hated the guy. I think that pre-accident Colin was more like Bright, while the second Colin had something in common with Ephram. So I really think that if there wasn't Amy complications, the three of them might have been friends, because Colin was in the middle between Ephram and Bright.
Old 03-21-2012, 10:03 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Quote:
So I really think that if there wasn't Amy complications, the three of them might have been friends, because Colin was in the middle between Ephram and Bright.
Do you believe that in this case Bright would just tolerate Ephram as a friend because Colin liked him and included him in the group? Or...do you think that Bright would really grow to like Ephram on his own?
Old 03-21-2012, 10:12 AM
Master Fan

I think that at some point Bright would grow to like him too. He knew that Ephram is obviously doing something right since he is able to help his sister.

I think that the first time Bright had the opportunity to see the real Ephram was when Colin was angry and violent and attacked him. Bright heard Ephram and saw how he acted and he actually agreed with him, which is why he defended him in the end.

So I think that at first Bright would tolerate Ephram only because of Colin, but at some point he would start like him too. He just needed some time to get to know him. So yeah it might not be too fast. It might have taken some time, but I think that he would do it.

The thing is that I don't believe that people can change you if you don't want. While Ephram did influence Bright in the good direction, Bright has never been too much on the wrong side. Otherwise his change wouldn't be possible. Interactions with someone don't help if you don't to open up and think about it.

Of course the things would be different if that accident had never happened, but that's maybe for the weekly discussion, because I'm not sure that Amy would talk to Ephram in the Pilot if Colin wasn't in the coma. What do you think?

Last edited by secretk; 03-21-2012 at 10:25 AM
secretk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 11:18 AM
Addicted Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by secretk (View Post)
Of course the things would be different if that accident had never happened, but that's maybe for the weekly discussion, because I'm not sure that Amy would talk to Ephram in the Pilot if Colin wasn't in the coma. What do you think?
I think....that would make an excellent QotW!
Old 03-21-2012, 11:29 AM
Master Fan

I think that too. I will shoot and I suggest it . We could be really creative with our answers.
Old 03-21-2012, 09:51 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Amy wouldn't have gotten to know Ephram so soon if it weren't for Andy being the great Dr. Brown or Colin being sick
{EphramAmy}
patricia
break the window is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 11:55 AM
Master Fan

Great discussion, guys! Glad it lead to such a great discussion question too! for that too.

Yay to have another Colin fan, Koni. Betty is right, I really liked him too! Taryn and I needed some backup.
“[People] talk to me about these characters as if they’re real, and they’re not real, but they’ve become real...I really think, shows like this one, you have an attachment to them. They’re like friends you check in on."
-Greg Berlanti on Everwood
'Tos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 12:53 AM
Master Fan

What do you all think was the funniest Bright/Ephram moment?
“[People] talk to me about these characters as if they’re real, and they’re not real, but they’ve become real...I really think, shows like this one, you have an attachment to them. They’re like friends you check in on."
-Greg Berlanti on Everwood
'Tos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 01:05 AM
Master Fan

Hm, I liked a lot of their moments, because Bright is hilarious in almost all his scenes and Ephram has a witty sense of humor, so there are lot of funny scenes.

I liked in the series finale, where Ephram told him something like 'When you start noticing the shoes, it makes me ask a lot of questions' and the whole 'You danced with the devil last night, fogged you brain, clogged your drain... '. Also on Bright's birthday when he was drunk and decided to explain Ephram what is the difference between hookers and strippers (or something like that).

There are some one lines too though. I noticed that a lot of times Ephram or Bright suggested that other one would ask him out . First in season 1, when Bright needed Ephram's help for the prom. Then when Ephram told Bright about the college party where Amy was. And later when Bright told Amy that maybe he should ask him out.

Bright hugging Amy and Ephram in the second episode in Season 1 was fun too for me, though it wasn't for Ephram or Amy.