Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Reply   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Tags Thread Tools
Old 03-08-2012, 12:40 AM
Master Fan

The Ephram/Bright Thread: "Damn maybe I should ask him out!"

This is an appreciation thread for the Bright/Ephram friendship. Since I didn't find such thread, I decided to create one.

The credits for the banner goes to Patricia(timehealsall).

So far we have no name for the ship, so if you have any suggestions, they are welcomed.

One of my favorite parts in the show is their friendship. They were so different and yet complemented each other in a perfect way. Ephram needed someone like Bright to help him open up to the outer world and Bright needed someone like Ephram to help him be more mature and more perceptive.

If anyone wonders how we come up with such title, here is the quote from Season 2 episode Blind Faith:

Quote:
Bright: Guys have pride. And he's not gonna sit around playing mind-games with you forever. Soon he's gonna get tired of that, and he's gonna move on.
Amy: I'm just not ready for all the boyfriend-girlfriend stuff and I know with Ephram there'd be no in between.
Bright: Maybe not, but you could do a lot worse. People give me crap all the time for hanging out with Ephram. But I dunno, he's just like...
Amy: Funny.
Bright: Yea! The other day, he's telling me the story about how he's driving a stick for the first time right, and he's like stuck on a hill. Eckleman says: Well what gear were you in? and he says: My jeans and my t-shirt. [they laugh] I didn't even get it at first... and he's also gonna be pulling in some serious jack with his music one day... damn, maybe I should ask him out.
We all remember how they began:

Quote:
Bright: Well howdy, loser!
Ephram: You guys choreograph the bathroom stall exit and I'm the loser?
Bright: I see you're still getting cozy with my little sis. I thought I told you once she's spoken for.
Ephram: Spoken for? Hey Bright, the fifties called. They want their lingo back.
Quote:
Bright: How goes it.. Bone-lick?
Amy: He has to hang with us.
Ephram: No offense, Amy, but he's really my least favorite thing about you.
Bright: Yeah? Well, you're really my least favorite thing about you.
Ephram: Dude, you've really gotta work on the insults.
And how they ended:

Quote:
EPHRAM: Hey
BRIGHT: Hey. You have the padres with you?
EPHRAM: No I can’t find them anywhere. Must be making out.
BRIGHT: Man you have no idea how good you have it. Your dad has totally changed.
EPHRAM: What are you talking about?
BRIGHT: Well he’s so chill now. Just goes with the flow, let’s you do whatever. I mean he actually cares what you have to say, he doesn’t treat you like a kid.
EPHRAM: That’s ‘cause I don’t let him. If you want to change your situation you’re gonna have to learn how to say no to your dad once in a while. Trust me he’ll respect you more because of it.
BRIGHT: Whatever. It’s not like it matters. I’m not someone who deserves respect anyways.
EPHRAM: What did you do? Did you pee on the campfire again?
BRIGHT: I’m gonna break up with Hannah.
EPHRAM: Oh… really?
BRIGHT:: Yeah… I’ve been thinking about it nonstop I’ve been running these scenarios through my head. Where we’re dating and we don’t make it past the make out stage. It’s just I don’t know, I can’t see where it goes next.
EPHRAM: Makes sense.
BRIGHT: So I’m official that jerk who breaks up with a girl because she won’t sleep with him. I’m that guy parents warn their daughters about.
EPHRAM: Nah, you’re not that guy. You used to be that guy, but you’re not that guy anymore. You just have different expectations for a relationship. That’s fair.
BRIGHT: Dude, come on. You know this looks bad.
EPHRAM: Yeah, sure it looks bad. But you can’t think about how it looks. You’re just being honest with yourself and what you need. You’ve already had sex. Many, many times, it’s kinda hard to go back and erase that part of yourself. You wouldn’t ask Hannah to do the same thing, would you? Would you?
BRIGHT: I’m sorry what? I’m still thinking about the many, many times.
EPHRAM: Look, all I’m saying is if Hannah needed something that you couldn’t give her, would you want her to stay with you, or would you want her to find somebody else who could give her what she needs?
BRIGHT: I just want her to be happy.
EPHRAM: There you go.
BRIGHT: I get it. I still feel like a jerk though.
EPHRAM: I know you do.
Reasons why we like Bright/Ephram friendship:

01. Because Bright knew that Ephram was the only person who could make Amy smile.
02. Because Bright thought that perhaps he should ask Ephram out!
03. Because Bright can't just name one thing he likes about Ephram, he can name a thousand.
04. Because Bright thinks that Ephram is very clean.
05. Because Bright thinks that Ephram is sensitive.
06. Because Bright said, "What...do we have a date or something?"
07. Because Bright needed Ephram to go on a double date.
08. Because Bright probably wouldn't have met and fallen in love with Hannah without Ephram.
09. Because Bright will be Ephram's real brother-in-law.
10. Because Bright had Ephram for a basketball partner.
11. Because Bright drove Ephram and his bike to school.
12. Because Ephram bought Bright a NY Jets cap.
13. Because Bright and Ephram's dads are also best friends.
14. Because Ephram gave Bright the key to his special music room.
15. Because Bright told Ephram to show Amy his Manhood.
16. Because Ephram wanted Bright to go to Europe with him.
17. Because Ephram chose to watch a movie with Bright after Irv's funeral rather than call Stephanie back.
18. Because Bright thought that Ephram was pretty chill, man...like Vin Diesel chill.
19. Because Ephram was there to see Bright graduate from County High.
20. Because Ephram thought Bright wrote him a card, when Bright actually got him another fake ID.
21. Because Bright was such a Greenie, he told Ephram to "touch no women" in New York.
22. Because Bright is the only person who can call Ephram "dude" without a hint of irony.

P.S: That's my first thread in fanforum, so I hope that it doesn't look too bad.

Last edited by jediwands; 04-28-2020 at 06:51 PM
secretk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 06:59 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Your first thread is a fantastic thread, Koni!!! I can't believe we didn't have one up to now!!

I think that another good idea to add to the opening post would be a list of why we like Ephram/Bright.
People could contribute thoughts...and when we have a bunch....we can post them all together in the opening post.
Everytime someone adds to the list..just copy and past the previous list so that it's all together.

Reasons we love Ephram/Bright...

1. Bright knew that Ephram was the only person who could make Amy smile.
everwoodfan52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 07:19 AM
Master Fan

Thanks.

I'm not good at adding reasons mostly because English is not my first language and I generally have problems with expressing my thoughts, so in English it gets more complex .

I do however think that we should add the title in the reasons .

As a side question for the thread - why do you like them?

I personally love the way their relationship progressed. At first Bright and Ephram were more like enemies. And then they became like best friends.

Although they are extremely different, that didn't interfere with their relationship - it actually helped them. For example I think that Bright helped Ephram to open up to the world, to be more social, more partying (even if he didn't like that much at first), to feel more comfortable being surrounded by strangers, to be more optimistic, more spontaneous.

On the other hand Ephram helped Bright a bit to grow up, to be more mature, more serious with his relationships and school, to be more ambitious about his future plans and jobs. Ephram was like the second conscious for Bright and Bright was like the little devil on Ephram's shoulder that drives him to have some fun, to take some risks, to accept some challenges.
Old 03-08-2012, 07:31 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Quote:
I do however think that we should add the title in the reasons
Yes, good idea!!

1. Because Bright knew that Ephram was the only person who could make Amy smile.
2. Because Bright thought that perhaps he should ask Ephram out!

Last edited by 'Tos; 03-08-2012 at 01:04 PM Reason: wrong button!
Old 03-08-2012, 01:10 PM
Master Fan

Great job, Koni! Thanks for starting it! Long overdue, but better late than never!

Quote:
Although they are extremely different, that didn't interfere with their relationship - it actually helped them. For example I think that Bright helped Ephram to open up to the world, to be more social, more partying (even if he didn't like that much at first), to feel more comfortable being surrounded by strangers, to be more optimistic, more spontaneous.

On the other hand Ephram helped Bright a bit to grow up, to be more mature, more serious with his relationships and school, to be more ambitious about his future plans and jobs. Ephram was like the second conscious for Bright and Bright was like the little devil on Ephram's shoulder that drives him to have some fun, to take some risks, to accept some challenges.
See, you shouldn't doubt yourself. You have no problem at all expressing your thoughts with thoughts like these! I completely agree. Bright allowed Ephram to open up more, experience new things and become less of a whiner. To just live life. And Ephram allowed Bright to show more of his sensitive and serious side. Awesome stuff!

1. Because Bright knew that Ephram was the only person who could make Amy smile.
3. Because Bright can't just name one thing he likes about Ephram, he can name a thousand.

By the way, Betty, it looked like I edited your post, but I was meaning to hit "Edit Tags" not edit your post! Oops.
“[People] talk to me about these characters as if they’re real, and they’re not real, but they’ve become real...I really think, shows like this one, you have an attachment to them. They’re like friends you check in on."
-Greg Berlanti on Everwood
'Tos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 01:30 PM
Fan Forum Hero

3. Because Bright can't just name one thing he likes about Ephram, he can name a thousand.
4. Because Bright thinks that Ephram is very clean.
5. Because Bright thinks that Ephram is sensitive.
6. Because Bright said, "What...do we have a date or something?"
Old 03-08-2012, 07:43 PM
Fan Forum Legend

Moderator of ...
Everwood

01. Because Bright knew that Ephram was the only person who could make Amy smile.
03. Because Bright can't just name one thing he likes about Ephram, he can name a thousand.
08. Because Bright probably wouldn't have met and fallen in love with Hannah without Ephram.
jediwands is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 07:48 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Old 03-09-2012, 09:32 AM
Extreme Fan

HAROLD: I don't know what you mean.
LemonyPie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 12:05 PM
Addicted Fan

Cool thread, Koni! I don't mention Ephram and Bright much because I kind of take their friendship for granted, I think, but it is definitely one of the more important relationships on the show.

This -

Quote:

On the other hand Ephram helped Bright a bit to grow up, to be more mature, more serious with his relationships and school, to be more ambitious about his future plans and jobs.
- is absolutely spot-on. There were times that Ephram probably shouldn't have taken Bright's advice (like when he went to see Madison's band play after he and Amy were already together) but overall, Bright's 'just loosen up and LIVE' attitude was definitely good for Ephram. And Bright needed Ephram's seriousness to open his eyes to the fact that he's almost an adult and it's time to start acting a little more mature.

I think I've psychoanalyzed this before a long time ago, but what are everyone's thoughts on why Bright treated Ephram the way he did when Ephram first moved to Everwood?
Old 03-09-2012, 12:18 PM
Fan Forum Hero

I love the new op guys. and the reasons are perfect.
Old 03-09-2012, 07:26 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by loganandroryforever (View Post)
I love the new op guys. and the reasons are perfect.
Can you think of any other reasons, Rachel?

What are everyone's thoughts on why Bright treated Ephram the way he did when Ephram first moved to Everwood?

I don't know why! I think I'm one of the only fans who really didn't like Bright for most of season one. As far as I could see...he had no reason to treat Ephram in such a mean/bullying manner. I understand that he was trying to keep Ephram away from his sister in deference to his friend, Colin. And I understand that he claimed that he did this because he knew that Amy was playing Ephram and was only being nice to him to get medical help from Andy.
But...there were other ways that Bright could warn Ephram. This behavior was not necessary.
Old 03-10-2012, 10:41 AM
Fan Forum Hero

15. Because Bright told Ephram to show Amy his Manhood.
16. Because Ephram wanted Bright to go to Europe with him.
17. Because Ephram chose to watch a movie with Bright after Irv's funeral rather than call Stephanie back.
18. Because Bright thought that Ephram was pretty chill, man...like Vin Diesel chill.

Last edited by everwoodfan52; 03-10-2012 at 10:51 AM
Old 03-10-2012, 12:26 PM
Master Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by everwoodfan52 (View Post)
Can you think of any other reasons, Rachel?

What are everyone's thoughts on why Bright treated Ephram the way he did when Ephram first moved to Everwood?

I don't know why! I think I'm one of the only fans who really didn't like Bright for most of season one. As far as I could see...he had no reason to treat Ephram in such a mean/bullying manner. I understand that he was trying to keep Ephram away from his sister in deference to his friend, Colin. And I understand that he claimed that he did this because he knew that Amy was playing Ephram and was only being nice to him to get medical help from Andy.
But...there were other ways that Bright could warn Ephram. This behavior was not necessary.
I agree with that completely, Betty. There were better ways to warn Ephram...like just talking to the guy! I think it was more than that, the behaviour and the bullying and being mean to Ephram. I think it was partly a result of Harold's attitude to the Browns invading. Bright is nothing else if he's a daddy's boy, and you can see that even in S1. That attitude from Harold rubbed off on Bright. As well, I think he was going through the same things Amy was in S1 with missing Colin and being delusional about how he would be when he came back. He was more realistic than Amy and less dependent on the fantasy that he would fix everything when he came back, but he still had that in his mind. And he saw this kid come into town and have an impact on Amy's life and his family's life and he didn't want to see that. It was Colin that was supposed to make that impact, not Ephram. I think Bright hit out on all of that. But they were all mistakes. I think even S2 Bright would have chosen better options.

19. Because Ephram was there to see Bright graduate from County High.
20. Because Ephram thought Bright wrote him a card, when Bright actually got him another fake ID.
21. Because Bright was such a Greenie, he told Ephram to "touch no women" in New York.
22. Because Bright is the only person who can call Ephram "dude" without a hint of irony.
“[People] talk to me about these characters as if they’re real, and they’re not real, but they’ve become real...I really think, shows like this one, you have an attachment to them. They’re like friends you check in on."
-Greg Berlanti on Everwood
'Tos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 01:03 PM
Master Fan

Thanks guys for the reasons. I will put them in the OP.

Hm, I have no exact answer to that question, but I could speculate.

First I have to say that both Abbotts kids didn't know how to talk to Ephram. Nor Amy, neither Bright did the right thing - the one tried to use him, the other one tried to bully him.

Anyway while we all know why Amy did what she did, although I don't justify that at all - if she wanted to help her coma boyfriend, she should talk to Andy, not use his son by false pretenses. And we all know that Bright is not exactly the insightful guy . Sorry, really I like the guy, but he's not that smart sometimes.

I think that Bright felt somehow frightened. He, Colin and Amy used to be friends - you know one of the popular ones. With Colin in a coma and depressive sister, he's left alone with the other jocks. While that might be fun, it's not the same when you're not with your group. Then comes the new kid - the one that doesn't particularly care what others think about him, the one that doesn't want to be popular, hence he's not afraid of Bright's clique. When Ephram acts like that, Bright has no advantage of the situation. On top of that this new kid has actually some influence on his sister. He suspected that Amy had his own agenda, but he couldn't be 100% sure, because well only Amy knew what she was doing at that time. He couldn't talk to her apparently (although that was the right thing to do , but these are the Abbott kids), so he decided to have a 'little chat' with the unknown kid - Ephram. It sounded easier that way. Once he was sure that Ephram liked his sister, he decided to use that in his favor - that was Ephram's Achilles' heel. What Bright didn't expect was Amy's behavior - the more Amy defended the guy, the more Bright hated him. Not to mention that Bright have been always the protective brother, you know the one that will take care of his sister, when the need comes. Yeah, but at this point Ephram was able to do something that Bright couldn't. Hence the rival.