Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Reply   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Tags Thread Tools
Old 01-30-2018, 05:42 AM
Master Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry D (View Post)
He never got that chance though because Madison put "Father Unknown" on the adoption papers and so he doesn't know who adopted his baby. Besides that, adoption papers are usually sealed so I'm not sure if Ephram would be able to find out who adopted his baby.
That's a good point! Realistically speaking from legal point of view both Madison and Ephram should have no way to find out the adoptive parents! Great catch up Jerry!

I guess for me I never found realistic the fact that Ephram would forget havign a son. Forgiving Andy I see. Admitting his mistake as well I see. In fact I think that we actually missed a scene where Ephram takes responsibility for his actions because after all he had sex. No one forced him. However it seemed that once he was back in Season 4 he did not think the baby at all and that for me is weird. It did not fit in Ephram's personality.

On the other hand we did not need constant reminder either. The writers really put themselves in the corner when it comes to this.

Quote:
At any rate, the whole Madisongate story was a disaster like Koni said and I wish that it had never happened.
That and Andy having an affair with his patient's wife is my most hated stories in Everwood. Even the first time around I fast-forwarded all scenes where Andy was basically disrespecting his patient. It was just gross. Sorry.
Old 01-30-2018, 07:40 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by wickedrum (View Post)
Have Ephram contact the family and make it clear he would want a relationship with the child, whenever the time is right for everyone. That is what I would have expected from him.
How would you feel if you adopted a baby and fell in love with it as your own child and the birth parent knocked on your door and demanded to be part of the baby's life? Is that fair? If that were the case most people would be afraid to adopt a child.
It would different if the child sought out his/her birth parent when ready.

As I said above^^^^ Ephram found out the name and location of the adoptive parents (they lived in San Fransisco)..went there and decided against ringing the doorbell because he felt this was better for his baby.
everwoodfan52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2018, 08:20 AM
Administrator

I was adopted by my parents when I was a baby and I’ve never had any desire to know who my birth parents were or have them in my life because as far as I’m concerned the parents who adopted me and raised me and who provided me a loving home environment were my parents. I think that Ephram did the right thing by not knocking on that door.

There are those who look at things the way they are and ask why - I dream of things that never were and ask why not. - Robert F. Kennedy
Jerry D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2018, 08:35 AM
Fan Forum Legend

Moderator of ...
Everwood

Quote:
Originally Posted by everwoodfan52 (View Post)
How would you feel if you adopted a baby and fell in love with it as your own child and the birth parent knocked on your door and demanded to be part of the baby's life? Is that fair? If that were the case most people would be afraid to adopt a child.
It would different if the child sought out his/her birth parent when ready.

As I said above^^^^ Ephram found out the name and location of the adoptive parents (they lived in San Fransisco)..went there and decided against ringing the doorbell because he felt this was better for his baby.
That's precisely what would have happened in season 5 when Madison returned according to the spoiler plans. She wanted to take the baby away from his adopted parents. It would have been awful.

Yes, Ephram did go on that journey and it was a good one. I remember the scene when he's in the car thinking about it. He was able to sort through this and he was at peace with his decision not to intervene. He knew the little boy would be well taken care of. He was satisfied with this conclusion.
jediwands is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2018, 08:36 AM
Fan Forum Legend

Moderator of ...
Everwood

Quote:
I was adopted by my parents when I was a baby and I’ve never had any desire to know who my birth parents were or have them in my life because as far as I’m concerned the parents who adopted me and raised me and who provided me a loving home environment were my parents. I think that Ephram did the right thing by not knocking on that door.
Agreed.
Old 01-30-2018, 09:15 AM
Fan Forum Legend

Moderator of ...
The Witcher

If the parents give away the baby, then sure, they should have no right for contact, but that is different than not knowing about the baby at all and only finding out about his existence after he was given away. I think there should be some sort of leave way in that case.
Old 01-30-2018, 10:14 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by wickedrum (View Post)
If the parents give away the baby, then sure, they should have no right for contact, but that is different than not knowing about the baby at all and only finding out about his existence after he was given away. I think there should be some sort of leave way in that case.
True point, but that was resolved on the show when Ephram made the decision to not visit the parents who adopted his baby and to leave them and the baby in peace. I feel this was a mature decision and the right decision. I guess things have changed since I was adopted because back then, all adoption records were sealed so I’m surprised that Ephram was able to find out the name and address of the family that adopted his baby. I guess that I missed that episode. The Madisongate fallout at that time upset me so much that I didn’t want to watch those episodes.

There are those who look at things the way they are and ask why - I dream of things that never were and ask why not. - Robert F. Kennedy
Old 01-30-2018, 10:18 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Quote:
I’m surprised that Ephram was able to find out the name and address of the family that adopted his baby. I guess that I missed that episode. The Madisongate fallout at that time upset me so much that I didn’t want to watch those episodes.
I think Madison told him their names at the coffee shop....among all the other things she told him.
Old 01-30-2018, 10:20 AM
Administrator

Quote:
I think Madison told him their names at the coffee shop....among all the other things she told him.
Ah, okay. That's why I missed it. Thanks Betty.

Old 01-30-2018, 10:22 AM
Master Fan

Quote:
True point, but that was resolved on the show when Ephram made the decision to not visit the parents who adopted his baby and to leave them and the baby in peace. I feel this was a mature decision and the right decision. I guess things have changed since I was adopted because back then, all adoption records were sealed so I’m surprised that Ephram was able to find out the name and address of the family that adopted his baby. I guess that I missed that episode. The Madisongate fallout at that time upset me so much that I didn’t want to watch those episodes.
Jerry I might be wrong, but I do not think that things have changed . I think that the writers decided to ignore the laws. I think that by giving a kid for adoption you are supposed to give up your parental rights and thus you have no right to ask. I also think that it's done to protect the kid and the adoptive parents.

Again I might be wrong, but this has always been my impression. I think that the writers changed things for the sake of the story.

For me personally there is no way any grown up human would be with this 100 % OK with this storyline. Sorry I do not believe this for a second. I can't believe that Ephram would not think about this kid from time to time. Realistically speaking this will be something that will be with him for the rest of his life.

Now did I needed for Ephram to meet the baby? No as like we covered we do not think that it's realistic. Do I wanted to make the story realistic and not ignore the baby? Yes. I hate when writers do ****ty story lines and then they don't follow up on them. Of course if they had not created Madisongate in the first place, we would not have such issues.
Old 01-30-2018, 10:41 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by secretk (View Post)
Jerry I might be wrong, but I do not think that things have changed . I think that the writers decided to ignore the laws. I think that by giving a kid for adoption you are supposed to give up your parental rights and thus you have no right to ask. I also think that it's done to protect the kid and the adoptive parents.

Again I might be wrong, but this has always been my impression. I think that the writers changed things for the sake of the story.

For me personally there is no way any grown up human would be with this 100 % OK with this storyline. Sorry I do not believe this for a second. I can't believe that Ephram would not think about this kid from time to time. Realistically speaking this will be something that will be with him for the rest of his life.

Now did I needed for Ephram to meet the baby? No as like we covered we do not think that it's realistic. Do I wanted to make the story realistic and not ignore the baby? Yes. I hate when writers do ****ty story lines and then they don't follow up on them. Of course if they had not created Madisongate in the first place, we would not have such issues.
Thanks Koni. Like you said, the whole Madisongate storyline was poorly conceived and it never should have happened. If Season Five had happened and if Madison came back to enlist Ephram’s help in taking away their baby from his adoptive parents I would have hated her even more and I probably wouldn’t have tuned in to those episodes. I’ll never understand why they kept bringing the most hated character on the show back so many times.

Old 01-30-2018, 10:54 AM
Fan Forum Legend

Moderator of ...
Everwood

Quote:
I don’t even remember that. I hate her so much that scene just flew by me deliberately. Typically I hang on every word of this series but this scene was so gross I couldn’t fully compute what she was saying. I felt misery and darkness instead.
Old 01-30-2018, 10:56 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Apt (View Post)
I don’t even remember that. I hate her so much that scene just flew by me deliberately. Typically I hang on every word of this series but this scene was so gross I couldn’t fully compute what she was saying. I felt misery and darkness instead.
I remember her mentioning their names and that they were lovely people. I could be Hallucinating, however! lol

ETA: Found this...Post #11...

http://www.fanforum.com/f104/should-...by-back-41460/

Last edited by everwoodfan52; 01-30-2018 at 11:13 AM
Old 01-30-2018, 10:59 AM
Master Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Apt (View Post)
I don't remember this either . But then again just like you I tend to filter out stuff that I do not care about .
Old 01-30-2018, 11:00 AM
Fan Forum Legend

Moderator of ...
Everwood

I remember the episode discussion when we all found out she put father unknown on the papers. People speculated she did that because she would’ve been in deep sh$t legally since Ephram was a minor. One of many reasons why she had zero business getting romantically involved with Ephram.
Reply   Post New Thread