Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Closed Thread   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Thread Tools
Old 11-01-2009, 03:09 PM
New Fan

My friend was banned from eating sweets/candy, he used to steal money from his dad's change dish where he stashed his loose change. He would then buy sweets and have one hell of a sugar rush. It was weird to watch a 14 year old hyper on some sweets.

I believe in everything in moderation.

In our schools we have a tolerance policy towards other people's beliefs. So although I suppose you would describe my son's school as Christian they celebrate all faiths and customs in small ways. Leads to a very tolerant nature I believe.

They have just done the Jewish harvest.

Surely if you ban something for children it just makes it all the more desirable? And in some ways ostracizes them?
Old 11-01-2009, 05:59 PM
Dedicated Fan

Betty, that is ridiculous you have to deal with that regarding Halloween. It reminds me of those wacko people who take issue with Harry Potter as being evil or whatever they claim. I have zero tolerance for such stupidity.
Old 11-01-2009, 06:04 PM
Part-Time Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by everwoodfan52 (View Post)
The wheel that squeaks usually gets its way. We had a real wishy washy Principal who when reading the parents letters (I think there were 2!!) forbade us from showing any movies.
So, usually the way educators handle stuff like this is to cow tow to parents.
Lammmmeee. If the parents took issue or the 2 that did and they want to cause a stink then they have the power to remove the children from the classroom WHILE the movies are being shown. Give them library time but the other students should not be deprived of the fun movies is what I think!

I also do not understand the Harry Potter haters either. It's weird to me and apparently to the author, herself, Rowling, since she has endlessly discussed this topic to the point of, IMO, making these people look really stupid for accusing her of promoting witchcraft and other stupid things. If they bothered reading what the true meaning of the books are such as anti prejudice, the importance of friendship, how love is the meaning of life, and other outstanding themes they would realize how uneducated they truly are.

Last edited by CRFEUC; 11-01-2009 at 06:31 PM
Old 11-01-2009, 06:29 PM
Fan Forum Legend

Moderator of ...
Everwood

Don't even get me started on the Harry Potter situation. I have ranted about this forever.

I also agree, Cleveland, that majority rules. The movies had every right to be shown and the parents who took issue have the power to remove their children, preventing them from viewing them if they so choose but the other children shouldn't have been prevented from the enjoyment of those movies. Not fair. Unfortunately, this happens, though. What can you do? A couple loud people ruin it for the majority.
Old 11-01-2009, 06:40 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilpen (View Post)

I also agree, Cleveland, that majority rules. The movies had every right to be shown and the parents who took issue have the power to remove their children, preventing them from viewing them if they so choose but the other children shouldn't have been prevented from the enjoyment of those movies. Not fair. Unfortunately, this happens, though. What can you do? A couple loud people ruin it for the majority.
That's the way it always is. The loud minority is always heard. It depends on the school administrator. If she/he is strong...then the majority rules. That wasn't the case with us. The movie was just a treat and we felt that if wasn't worth fighting over.

These days..when it comes to religion...school are bending over backward to please. We have a student this year whose mother demanded a special room/place for him to pray a couple of times a day. The room had to be facing East (Mecca).
Old 11-01-2009, 07:06 PM
Fan Forum Legend

Moderator of ...
Everwood

Quote:
That's the way it always is. The loud minority is always heard. It depends on the school administrator. If she/he is strong...then the majority rules. That wasn't the case with us. The movie was just a treat and we felt that if wasn't worth fighting over.
Exactly. You're right. It all depends on the administrator. That is really too bad for the other children. It really is. I remember as a little girl there were always fun things in school on Halloween. No one ever took issue. It was relaxed and so much fun. It's so unfortunate that times have changed so much.

Quote:
These days..when it comes to religion...school are bending over backward to please. We have a student this year whose mother demanded a special room/place for him to pray a couple of times a day. The room had to be facing East (Mecca).
Completely insane! I'm sorry, I respect freedom of religion but I do not believe the public school system should have to accommodate for this! What the heck! If your religion is that strict and it needs to be practiced during school hours you either home school or find a religious school that practices your religion. That is taking it too far!

What did you guys do in this case?
Old 11-01-2009, 08:07 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Quote:
What did you guys do in this case?
We accommodated the young man. Politically correct and all that.
Old 11-01-2009, 08:15 PM
Fan Forum Legend

Moderator of ...
Everwood

Quote:
We accommodated the young man. Politically correct and all that.
I figured. That sucks.
Old 11-01-2009, 11:40 PM
Master Fan

Agh, I just come home and the forum goes nuts, heh.

And I'm really sorry you have to deal with parents like that, Betty. They say the kids are the problem these days with computers and TV and all that, but it sounds like a lot of the time, it's not the kids at all who are the problem.

So nice to have you in this thread, sparklestar!
“[People] talk to me about these characters as if they’re real, and they’re not real, but they’ve become real...I really think, shows like this one, you have an attachment to them. They’re like friends you check in on."
-Greg Berlanti on Everwood
Old 11-02-2009, 05:02 AM
Fan Forum Legend

Moderator of ...
Everwood

Quote:
Originally Posted by BepperGirl (View Post)
They pretty much do what sparklestar has said, Michelle. NZ is very much like the British in a lot of ways
I forgot to mention that if you want to catch up you know where to find me.
Old 11-02-2009, 05:16 AM
New Fan

Quote:
So nice to have you in this thread, sparklestar!

I know, I am like totally immersing myself in it I got brave. It gets easier as you realise people's names and the fact that they all know each other in real life too. Plus time differences mean I often miss it when it is all happening.

I'll keep calling you 'Tos though I quite like it.
Old 11-02-2009, 05:19 AM
Dedicated Fan

Quote:
I forgot to mention that if you want to catch up you know where to find me.
Take Michelle up on it, dude. I know of about 2303928 people who would love to catch up with her.
Old 11-02-2009, 08:49 AM
Fan Forum Legend

Moderator of ...
Everwood

Erin, you're not exaggerating at all there are you.
Old 11-02-2009, 08:55 AM
Dedicated Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilpen (View Post)
Erin, you're not exaggerating at all there are you.
I'm not and you know it. Everyone likes you and wants to be close to you. Those who don't which is the minority don't know their head from their a$$ anyway. Like how bluntly I stated this? I have to be, I am going into law. LOL.
Old 11-02-2009, 12:06 PM
Master Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparklestar (View Post)
I know, I am like totally immersing myself in it I got brave. It gets easier as you realise people's names and the fact that they all know each other in real life too. Plus time differences mean I often miss it when it is all happening.

I'll keep calling you 'Tos though I quite like it.
I'm so glad to hear that you're immersing yourself into the thread. That's great news! It probably is a little intimidating at first, but everyone is so friendly, so you're doing the right thing by jumping in head first!

I think I'll continue calling you sparklestar too! I like it. Nice and happy, hee.
“[People] talk to me about these characters as if they’re real, and they’re not real, but they’ve become real...I really think, shows like this one, you have an attachment to them. They’re like friends you check in on."
-Greg Berlanti on Everwood
Closed Thread   Post New Thread