Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Closed Thread   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Thread Tools
Old 06-30-2009, 12:32 AM
Master Fan

County High Cafeteria#24 OT: Summer, trips, and all that good stuff. Like Alex's crepes!

Yeah, I got nothin' on the title. If anyone thinks of anything better, we'll change it.
“[People] talk to me about these characters as if they’re real, and they’re not real, but they’ve become real...I really think, shows like this one, you have an attachment to them. They’re like friends you check in on."
-Greg Berlanti on Everwood
Old 06-30-2009, 05:20 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Super title....we'll never abandon Alex and her crepes!

Thanks for the new thread, 'Tos.
Old 06-30-2009, 11:09 AM
Master Fan

Hee, maybe we should get some crepes too so that we can include how yummy they are in the title.

You're out on summer break from school, right Betty? Were you like the kids on the last day of school, counting down the minutes?
“[People] talk to me about these characters as if they’re real, and they’re not real, but they’ve become real...I really think, shows like this one, you have an attachment to them. They’re like friends you check in on."
Old 06-30-2009, 11:23 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by 'Tos (View Post)
Hee, maybe we should get some crepes too so that we can include how yummy they are in the title.
That would be great. I'm wondering if Michelle ever got to France and tasted Alex's crepes. She was the original crepe fan.

Quote:
You're out on summer break from school, right Betty? Were you like the kids on the last day of school, counting down the minutes?
I think that teachers are worse than the kids in that department. We were definitely counting! Let's face it...those last couple of weeks....the kids are done...I gave a big test 1 1/2 weeks before the last day of school....students asked, "Are we going to be doing anything else?" I guess they thought that we would sit and play games and twiddle our thumbs for 1 1/2 weeks!
Oh yes, I'm ready for my vacation.
Old 06-30-2009, 02:48 PM
Master Fan

Well, after 'Tos's library adventure yesterday, I decided to go the main library for the first time in a few weeks (since my last day on the eye-ravaging transcription job) to get a book or two...and wound up with eight. Four novels, four non-fiction, which are, as ever, the ones I'm more excited about (two are on Shakespeare's legacy in the world of research and in modern popular culture, two are on music -- one about classical piano, one about underground/obscure popular music).

Then I had a surreal moment as I was browsing the shelves while carrying my ginormous stack o' books. Two teenage/twentyish guys walked by me, with one lecturing the other on something; the lecturer indicated me and commented quite favorably on my appearance (nicely, not in a gross way) before continuing that in spite of that, I was clearly all alone and had to use books to keep me company. I ignored them, as is my wont, but that was an odd little double-whammy of unexpected flattery/hideously inappropriate and presumptuous insult. But I guess that's another entry in the "People Who Don't Understand the Point of Libraries/Books" category. (And there's nothing wrong with being single and a big reader anyway! It's presumably superior to having a boyfriend but being stupid. )

Quote:
I think that teachers are worse than the kids in that department. We were definitely counting! Let's face it...those last couple of weeks....the kids are done...I gave a big test 1 1/2 weeks before the last day of school....students asked, "Are we going to be doing anything else?" I guess they thought that we would sit and play games and twiddle our thumbs for 1 1/2 weeks!
Hee! So what else did you give them to do? Those last couple of weeks are pretty awful, heh, from what I recall from last year. I think I had given up by that point and showed a lot of DVDs/videos, but did make the students write about them. (The literature class read Frankenstein last, so I gave them a book/classic film compare and contrast essay, while the history students watched a whole series of documentaries on specific incidents from twentieth-century history, and read newspaper clippings on the major recent events that they were too young to remember well [9/11, the 2000 election, etc.], and had to write a one-page paper for each documentary and newspaper article.)

Last edited by Thief Of Love; 06-30-2009 at 06:59 PM
Old 06-30-2009, 05:44 PM
Fan Forum Legend

Moderator of ...
Everwood

Quote:
Originally Posted by everwoodfan52 (View Post)
That would be great. I'm wondering if Michelle ever got to France and tasted Alex's crepes. She was the original crepe fan.

Alex's Crepes are the best if that answers your question. LOL.

Oh and love the title!
Old 06-30-2009, 06:15 PM
Dedicated Fan

Yes, that answers that, Mitch.
Old 06-30-2009, 07:09 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Quote:
Hee! So what else did you give them to do? Those last couple of weeks are pretty awful, heh, from what I recall from last year. I think I had given up by that point and showed a lot of DVDs/videos, but did make the students write about them.
Well, for the week....I continued to teach! I want the taxpayers to get their money's worth! But for the last 1/2 week.....Bill Nye became my best friend!

Quote:
Alex's Crepes are the best if that answers your question. LOL.
Thanks for the reply!
Old 06-30-2009, 08:14 PM
Master Fan

Quote:
Oh yes, I'm ready for my vacation.
Hee, I'm glad to hear that! Do you keep in touch with your teacher pals while on summer vacation?

And Bill Nye! I love that guy. Whoo, a rhyme.

Quote:
Then I had a surreal moment as I was browsing the shelves while carrying my ginormous stack o' books. Two teenage/twentyish guys walked by me, with one lecturing the other on something; the lecturer indicated me and commented quite favorably on my appearance (nicely, not in a gross way) before continuing that in spite of that, I was clearly all alone and had to use books to keep me company. I ignored them, as is my wont, but that was an odd little double-whammy of unexpected flattery/hideously inappropriate and presumptuous insult. But I guess that's another entry in the "People Who Don't Understand the Point of Libraries/Books" category. (And there's nothing wrong with being single and a big reader anyway! It's presumably superior to having a boyfriend but being stupid. )
They did all of this infront of you, right at you? What? You should have thrown your books at the lecturer's face, and told him, "How 'bout them books?" Well, something better, hee, but 8 books are quite a weapon!

Reading does not equal loneliness. Reading does not take all day, even 8 books, heh.

At least the book selection sounds nice.
Old 06-30-2009, 08:41 PM
Master Fan

Bill Nye! I loved him! There are some songs that, to this day, I still associate with the show's "scientific" version rather than the real one, hee.

Quote:
They did all of this in front of you, right at you? What? You should have thrown your books at the lecturer's face, and told him, "How 'bout them books?" Well, something better, hee, but 8 books are quite a weapon!

Reading does not equal loneliness. Reading does not take all day, even 8 books, heh.
I know, it was so weird and, well, rude, but I was too flummoxed to think of acknowledging them in any way, in spite of the stupid assumptions. Plus, I'm too shy/polite to do that, anyway, heh.

Do you know how long it'll be before you have Banvard's Folly -- or Barnyard's Collie, hee -- in your hands?
Old 07-01-2009, 05:01 PM
Master Fan

Oh, I keep forgetting this: Happy Canada Day! I've felt it important to start keeping aware of all those holidays and such up there. Don't want to be caught off-guard if there's some holiday that will mean a day off from school or work!

(Apparently there are official celebrations in London -- England, I mean -- for Canadian expatriates, and they conclude with...a game of hockey. Way to stereotype yourselves there, expats! Hee.)
Old 07-01-2009, 06:17 PM
Fan Forum Legend

Moderator of ...
Everwood

Quote:
Originally Posted by everwoodfan52 (View Post)

Thanks for the reply!
I almost missed the question, thankfully I lurked on over here so I could respond.
Old 07-01-2009, 10:10 PM
Master Fan

Quote:
I know, it was so weird and, well, rude, but I was too flummoxed to think of acknowledging them in any way, in spite of the stupid assumptions. Plus, I'm too shy/polite to do that, anyway, heh.
Hee, yes. Plus it's hard to come up with something to say even if it was in a shy or polite way. Ephram made it look so easy, didn't he? Not..that his comments were ever in a shy or polite way..but I had a point somewhere in there, I think, heh.

But I think that idea of libraries as something people who don't have lives or friends do is out there, sadly. As silly as it is. My parents go to the library every week, and my dad might be the most extroverted person I know. And the library I go to isn't exactly made up of nerds and lonely people. Anyway, I'm not going to rant (anymore, anyway) on other people's misconceptions.

Quote:
Do you know how long it'll be before you have Banvard's Folly -- or Barnyard's Collie, hee -- in your hands?
I think she might have said a week, and that sounds a bit fair if it's just one, little book that they're getting for little, ol' me. Hee. Enough time to finish Oliver Twist, which is a lot longer than I remember all the plays and movies I've seen of it.

And thanks for the Canada Day well-wishes! You would, indeed, get today off if you were at UBC taking summer classes and or doing grad work and happened to have a Wednesday class or work on that day, heh. There's a big festival here and another one in Vancouver. I've gone to both, but this year decided to stay home and watch hockey signing coverage, hee. Now that's Canadian!

Quote:
(Apparently there are official celebrations in London -- England, I mean -- for Canadian expatriates, and they conclude with...a game of hockey. Way to stereotype yourselves there, expats! Hee.)
Hee, I saw a news report about that! And, well, that stereotype is one of those rare accurate ones, hee, so I can't begrudge them wanting to play. The news report said that Canadian Tourism used to sponsor the big celebration, but ended that sponsorship this year when they realized that....mostly Canadians were attending it anyway, heh.

July 4th coming up for you lot. Any big plans? Other than watching, I don't know, football free agency or something, heh.
Old 07-01-2009, 11:41 PM
Master Fan

Oliver Twist, eh? Yeah, Dickens liked 'em lengthy, hee. Which is exactly why I've never gotten around to my Bleak House reread (in spite of my massive love of the book in a Victorian literature class) or my first attempt at Our Mutual Friend. Managed Great Expectations about a decade ago, but that's probably mostly because I had read a kids' abridged version a few years before that. (But, oh! That all puts me in mind of another non-fiction book that I sooo need to recommend [unless I already have and forgot] but you've got enough on your plate as it is, hee. But suffice it to say, the Victorian publishing industry was tremendously entertaining and surprisingly scandalous.)

Quote:
Hee, I saw a news report about that! And, well, that stereotype is one of those rare accurate ones, hee, so I can't begrudge them wanting to play.
Well, there could be one or two Canadians who don't like hockey. And I always like to remember and acknowledge the exceptions to the assumptions about general groups. Heaven knows I've spent enough time in that position myself, hee.

No July 4th plans here; last year I [unintentionally] spent the day listening to a B&S album that I had purchased the day before (ah, the early days), watching the UK Life on Mars on my computer, and reading one of my Great Britain travel guides, so apparently I'm not big on celebrating patriotically.

Oh, and my new computer arrived yesterday! I haven't done anything with it yet, but, you know, it's in the house and all. And it's all new-looking and stuff! And has a "2" button which my current laptop hasn't had since about 2004, when the tile randomly popped off! (The underlying mechanism is still in place, which is how I was just able to type the above sentence.)
Old 07-02-2009, 08:19 AM
Fan Forum Hero

I know that this is an entire change in topic, but I have the need to vent.
Every time I open up my e-mail account....I see another news item or video about Michael Jackson and his impending funeral.
I need to ask? Why is Al Sharpton always on the scene? Has there been an injustice done? That's usually why he's there.
Why do we always have to see Michael's dad on the scene? He doesn't appear to be grieving and has been accused by Michael of being a horrible abusive dad. Why do we have to see him parading around and why do we have to listen to what he has to say? (Notice that you don't see Michael's mom.....poor thing....she must be devastated and is quietly grieving with dignity.)
Why does this funeral appear to be an impending circus? Do you think that shy, quiet Michael would want this? I'm surprised they're not charging money to come. (Are they?)

ETA:
Quote:
Oh, and my new computer arrived yesterday! I haven't done anything with it yet, but, you know, it's in the house and all. And it's all new-looking and stuff! And has a "2" button which my current laptop hasn't had since about 2004, when the tile randomly popped off! (The underlying mechanism is still in place, which is how I was just able to type the above sentence.)
Congrats, Thief.. A new computer is an awesome thing! You probably have the newest computer of all of our posters. We expect good things from you now (not that we didn't get good things before.....even without a "2" button!)

Last edited by everwoodfan52; 07-02-2009 at 09:54 AM
Closed Thread   Post New Thread