Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Closed Thread   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Thread Tools
Old 11-30-2020, 05:49 PM
Fan Forum Legend

Moderator of ...
Everwood

County High Cafeteria #173: Our Administrator Has Talents We Never Knew About! ETA: Happy Birthday, Jerry!!!!!

Old 11-30-2020, 06:06 PM
Administrator

Thanks for the new thread Michelle.

I feel so bad for accidentally deleting the old one!

There are those who look at things the way they are and ask why - I dream of things that never were and ask why not. - Robert F. Kennedy
Old 11-30-2020, 06:11 PM
Administrator

I was looking up something on line and I found a website called Realtor.com, and I looked up the house in Fair Lawn New Jersey that my family and I lived in when I was growing up. The house looks almost the same except that the tree in the front yard is gone and it now has solar panels on the roof, but the biggest shock was the estimated value: $403,300.00! My father bought that house for $32,500.00 in 1969, and we sold it for $160,000.00 when he passed away in 1996, and it last sold for $220,000.00 in 2003 according to this website, and now it's worth $403,000.00? Unbelievable! This house is 73 years old with no air conditioning, and 1-1/2 Baths, and the rooms were tiny, and it had a nice finished cellar, but man, I can't believe how expensive real estate is in New Jersey now.

Later, my sister sent me a link to a listing for our parents' house and the exterior looks the same except that the tree we had in the front yard is gone and the roof has solar panels now, but the interior looks totally different! Someone put a lot of money into this house!

https://hotpads.com/17-lowe-ave-fair...10-1j8w8eb/pad

Click on the link and then click on Gallery, and you'll see what the house looks like now. It's totally different from when we lived there.

There are those who look at things the way they are and ask why - I dream of things that never were and ask why not. - Robert F. Kennedy
Old 11-30-2020, 07:01 PM
Administrator

Here are the pictures of the place where I grew up in The Bronx:

This is my old apartment building: 3024 Kingsbridge Avenue in The Bronx:

This is the main shopping area near where I lived:

This was my old Grammar School, St. John's in The Bronx, which was right around the corner from where we lived:

This was an old movie theater in the neighborhood. Back then, movie theaters just had one screen:

Old 11-30-2020, 07:09 PM
Administrator

Here's a picture of me and some of my New York friends when they came out to visit me in 1970:

https://scontent-dfw5-1.xx.fbcdn.net...75&oe=5FEB55A0

I'm the short, skinny kid with the glasses and the plaid pants!

I changed this to a link because it stretched the page.

Old 11-30-2020, 07:42 PM
Administrator

This is beautiful:

FRANZ KAFKA (1883-1924), who never married and had no children, walked through the park in Berlin when he met a girl who was crying because she had lost her favourite doll. She and Kafka searched for the doll unsuccessfully. Kafka told her to meet him there the next day and they would come back to look for her.

The next day, when they had not yet found the doll, Kafka gave the girl a letter "written" by the doll saying "please don't cry. I took a trip to see the world. I will write to you about my adventures."

Thus began a story which continued until the end of Kafka's life. During their meetings, Kafka read the letters of the doll carefully written with adventures and conversations that the girl found adorable.

Finally, Kafka brought back the doll (he bought one) that had returned to Berlin. "It doesn't look like my doll at all," said the girl. Kafka handed her another letter in which the doll wrote: "my travels have changed me." the little girl hugged the new doll and brought her happy home.

A year later Kafka died.

Many years later, the now-adult girl found a letter inside the doll. In the tiny letter signed by Kafka it was written:

... "Everything you love will probably be lost ... but in the end, love will return in another way."

Old 11-30-2020, 10:15 PM
Fan Forum Legend

Moderator of ...
Everwood

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry D (View Post)
Thanks for the new thread Michelle.

I feel so bad for accidentally deleting the old one!
No problem! Absolutely no need!
Old 11-30-2020, 10:24 PM
Fan Forum Legend

Moderator of ...
Everwood

Quote:
I was looking up something on line and I found a website called Realtor.com, and I looked up the house in Fair Lawn New Jersey that my family and I lived in when I was growing up. The house looks almost the same except that the tree in the front yard is gone and it now has solar panels on the roof, but the biggest shock was the estimated value: $403,300.00! My father bought that house for $32,500.00 in 1969, and we sold it for $160,000.00 when he passed away in 1996, and it last sold for $220,000.00 in 2003 according to this website, and now it's worth $403,000.00? Unbelievable! This house is 73 years old with no air conditioning, and 1-1/2 Baths, and the rooms were tiny, and it had a nice finished cellar, but man, I can't believe how expensive real estate is in New Jersey now.

Later, my sister sent me a link to a listing for our parents' house and the exterior looks the same except that the tree we had in the front yard is gone and the roof has solar panels now, but the interior looks totally different! Someone put a lot of money into this house!

https://hotpads.com/17-lowe-ave-fair...10-1j8w8eb/pad

Click on the link and then click on Gallery, and you'll see what the house looks like now. It's totally different from when we lived there.

Incredible! Is the yellow inside what you guys had or is that new? It looks so lovely, I can totally picture your family there.

I can't get over the price! I'm honestly thinking my sister and brother-in-law's house would be worth close to a million in New Jersey but here in Minnesota it's probably $450,000.
Old 11-30-2020, 10:27 PM
Fan Forum Legend

Moderator of ...
Everwood

Quote:
Here are the pictures of the place where I grew up in The Bronx:

This is my old apartment building: 3024 Kingsbridge Avenue in The Bronx:

This is the main shopping area near where I lived:

This was my old Grammar School, St. John's in The Bronx, which was right around the corner from where we lived:

This was an old movie theater in the neighborhood. Back then, movie theaters just had one screen:

Old 11-30-2020, 10:34 PM
Fan Forum Legend

Moderator of ...
Everwood

Quote:
Here's a picture of me and some of my New York friends when they came out to visit me in 1970:

https://scontent-dfw5-1.xx.fbcdn.net...75&oe=5FEB55A0

I'm the short, skinny kid with the glasses and the plaid pants!

I changed this to a link because it stretched the page.
So precious!

I love your hair... what color would you say your hair is there? It reminds me of my mom's color. Is there a touch of red/auburn? You are a Sagittarius Fire Sign just like my mom was so you have a certain look with the hair. I just see that Sage look in other words just like with my mom. You guys have a charming, intellectual look. I can't really explain it but there's a similar look.
Old 11-30-2020, 10:37 PM
Fan Forum Legend

Moderator of ...
Everwood

Quote:
This is beautiful:

FRANZ KAFKA (1883-1924), who never married and had no children, walked through the park in Berlin when he met a girl who was crying because she had lost her favourite doll. She and Kafka searched for the doll unsuccessfully. Kafka told her to meet him there the next day and they would come back to look for her.

The next day, when they had not yet found the doll, Kafka gave the girl a letter "written" by the doll saying "please don't cry. I took a trip to see the world. I will write to you about my adventures."

Thus began a story which continued until the end of Kafka's life. During their meetings, Kafka read the letters of the doll carefully written with adventures and conversations that the girl found adorable.

Finally, Kafka brought back the doll (he bought one) that had returned to Berlin. "It doesn't look like my doll at all," said the girl. Kafka handed her another letter in which the doll wrote: "my travels have changed me." the little girl hugged the new doll and brought her happy home.

A year later Kafka died.

Many years later, the now-adult girl found a letter inside the doll. In the tiny letter signed by Kafka it was written:

... "Everything you love will probably be lost ... but in the end, love will return in another way."
Yes, yes, it is.
Old 12-01-2020, 02:37 AM
Fan Forum Legend

Thanks for the new thread
Old 12-01-2020, 06:25 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auror (View Post)
Incredible! Is the yellow inside what you guys had or is that new? It looks so lovely, I can totally picture your family there.
No, when we lived there the color was an off white. My room had paneling halfway up the wall and the balance was a gold color. My parent's bedroom, which was opposite my bedroom, was blue. The owners have completely redone the inside of the house. It looks like the Master Bedroom is upstairs now, where my sisters' room was. The cellar is completely different now. It's amazing what can be done with the inside of a house if you have the money!

Quote:
I can't get over the price! I'm honestly thinking my sister and brother-in-law's house would be worth close to a million in New Jersey but here in Minnesota it's probably $450,000.
The prices in New York/New Jersey are really unbelievable!

Old 12-01-2020, 06:29 AM
Administrator

Quote:
So precious!

I love your hair... what color would you say your hair is there? It reminds me of my mom's color. Is there a touch of red/auburn? You are a Sagittarius Fire Sign just like my mom was so you have a certain look with the hair. I just see that Sage look in other words just like with my mom. You guys have a charming, intellectual look. I can't really explain it but there's a similar look.
Thanks! My hair was brown with a touch of auburn. My hair was reddish blonde when I was a baby and it got darker as I got older.

Old 12-01-2020, 08:47 AM
Fan Forum Legend

Moderator of ...
Everwood

Quote:
No, when we lived there the color was an off white. My room had paneling halfway up the wall and the balance was a gold color. My parent's bedroom, which was opposite my bedroom, was blue. The owners have completely redone the inside of the house. It looks like the Master Bedroom is upstairs now, where my sisters' room was. The cellar is completely different now. It's amazing what can be done with the inside of a house if you have the money!

The prices in New York/New Jersey are really unbelievable!
Definitely!

They really are. I can't get over it. Like I said, my sister and brother-in-law are considered upper middle class but if their current house existed in NJ/NY it would make it seem like they are in the "rich" category. Incredible!

There's so many things to love about the NY/NJ area but at the same time, I can see why you decided to move to Texas.
Closed Thread   Post New Thread