Closed Thread   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Thread Tools
Old 06-01-2018, 04:37 PM
Fan Forum Star

Moderator of ...
Nancy Drew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilpen (View Post)
Exactly. She's tried some natural treatments too and they haven't worked but I think she's just so high strung, she cannot destress and unwind from the day and it's so tough to get to sleep. She even said she sleeps at work sometimes. She'll put her head down and bam, she's asleep in her office. It can't be good. I seriously cringe thinking about her driving when she's so tired.

How is work going? Are you off for the summer?
I have two weeks left. We are finishing up some projects next week then report cards the week after. I'm done on the 20th. I saved up my sick days and took a pay deduction so I could have that last week to pack up and organize stuff before the kids go off to camp.

I feel bad for your sister because I def was where she was. It took years for me to figure out the right medication. For me the key was herbal tea, but I am also a lot less high strung than I was a decade ago.
Old 06-01-2018, 06:31 PM
Fan Forum Legend

Moderator of ...
Everwood

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry D (View Post)
Neither would we!
LOL

Quote:
I'm sure he'll feel relieved tomorrow!
I think so.

Did Goldie seem annoyed or was she happy overall, but just scooting?

Quote:
We're just going to relax at home and go to our favorite Italian restaurant in town now that I know that I can have pasta. I had a sandwich for lunch and I was fine.
Terrific! What are you going to get at the Italian restaurant?

Quote:
That's neat that Anna's graduation is where you work! Congratulations to her!
Awe, thanks, friend!

My dad was so thoughtful when he picked out her Graduation present/s. He is giving her some money but he also took out the time to see what coffee shops exist at her college... wasn't that sweet? He found out Starbucks and Caribou both exist so he got her two 50 dollar gift cards for each so she would have a nice start at college with her coffee shops, lol. He got her a birthstone thing (Capricorn) and a couple other sweet gifts. He thought of everything on his own. He wants to buy her either a TV or fridge, stuff she'll need down there. Well, Anna and Ali will probably split things... one will bring TV, one will bring fridge. My dad is waiting for the list of what she'll need and he'll help out. He's a terrific Grandfather. I know my mom is proud of him.
Old 06-01-2018, 06:37 PM
Fan Forum Legend

Moderator of ...
Everwood

Quote:
Originally Posted by ds44 (View Post)
I have two weeks left. We are finishing up some projects next week then report cards the week after. I'm done on the 20th. I saved up my sick days and took a pay deduction so I could have that last week to pack up and organize stuff before the kids go off to camp.

I feel bad for your sister because I def was where she was. It took years for me to figure out the right medication. For me the key was herbal tea, but I am also a lot less high strung than I was a decade ago.
Oh that's right, you are on a different schedule. So when do you start back up in the Fall?

I am glad you figured it out. I am going to mention herbal tea to my sister. I think things with my sister will only get a little worse too since my oldest niece is starting college in the Fall and will live (with her best friend) 2 1/2 hours away. She's already mentioned fighting sadness over this. She's so happy for her but it's just such a big change. Maybe once she gets through it she'll relax more.
Old 06-01-2018, 07:55 PM
Administrator

Quote:
LOL

I think so.

Did Goldie seem annoyed or was she happy overall, but just scooting?
Happy overall, but just scooting.

Quote:
Terrific! What are you going to get at the Italian restaurant?
I'm probably going to get Tortellini Alfredo.

Quote:
Awe, thanks, friend!
You're welcome!

Quote:
My dad was so thoughtful when he picked out her Graduation present/s. He is giving her some money but he also took out the time to see what coffee shops exist at her college... wasn't that sweet? He found out Starbucks and Caribou both exist so he got her two 50 dollar gift cards for each so she would have a nice start at college with her coffee shops, lol. He got her a birthstone thing (Capricorn) and a couple other sweet gifts. He thought of everything on his own. He wants to buy her either a TV or fridge, stuff she'll need down there. Well, Anna and Ali will probably split things... one will bring TV, one will bring fridge. My dad is waiting for the list of what she'll need and he'll help out. He's a terrific Grandfather. I know my mom is proud of him.
That's so wonderful.

There are those who look at things the way they are and ask why - I dream of things that never were and ask why not. - Robert F. Kennedy
Old 06-01-2018, 08:32 PM
Fan Forum Star

Moderator of ...
Nancy Drew

Quote:
Oh that's right, you are on a different schedule. So when do you start back up in the Fall?

I am glad you figured it out. I am going to mention herbal tea to my sister. I think things with my sister will only get a little worse too since my oldest niece is starting college in the Fall and will live (with her best friend) 2 1/2 hours away. She's already mentioned fighting sadness over this. She's so happy for her but it's just such a big change. Maybe once she gets through it she'll relax more.
No, it's pretty much the same, but actual assessment stopes around the 12. But kids are still there untile 23-28th. I just saved up days. School starts after labor day, but I have training workshops and prep time in mid august. So we technically only get a month and half off. But, by the time we get to this part of the year most teachers are wiped and those months are unpaid. It's why the whole argument against teacher pay pisses me off. It's like you have no idea how much goes into this work. People do it because its a passion and a calling.
Old 06-02-2018, 08:00 AM
Fan Forum Legend

Moderator of ...
Everwood

Quote:
Happy overall, but just scooting.

I'm probably going to get Tortellini Alfredo.

You're welcome!

That's so wonderful.
Yum, sounds great! Hope you guys have fun at the restaurant.

I just walked in the door after taking Buddy in. His diagnosis is what I thought plus a little more. Will explain once I get back to the computer.
Old 06-02-2018, 08:01 AM
Fan Forum Legend

Moderator of ...
Everwood

Quote:
Originally Posted by ds44 (View Post)
No, it's pretty much the same, but actual assessment stopes around the 12. But kids are still there untile 23-28th. I just saved up days. School starts after labor day, but I have training workshops and prep time in mid august. So we technically only get a month and half off. But, by the time we get to this part of the year most teachers are wiped and those months are unpaid. It's why the whole argument against teacher pay pisses me off. It's like you have no idea how much goes into this work. People do it because its a passion and a calling.
I hear you, Shu. My mom was a teacher too. It's just criminal how underpaid educators truly are considering the service you guys are giving and all the hard work you not only put in while teaching but the preparation too. You are going to teach a different grade next year, right?
Old 06-02-2018, 08:04 AM
Fan Forum Legend

Moderator of ...
Everwood

Quote:
Originally Posted by secretk (View Post)
She lives with her grandparents and her mother. Her brother who has schizophrenia lives with her dad. Her mother I believe is also diagnosed with something. Either depression, panic attacks disorder or schizophrenia too. Her mother does not go out of the apartment at all.

Luckily she shared more today. She does go to therapy now and she says that it's helping. She has also lost a lot of weight that she had put on previously as a side effect of her treatment. I kind of suggested if she can use affirmations. When I had depression episode 3 years ago (quite severe one) I did not want to go therapy and take treatment so I kind of analyzed my behavior and found my issues. Most low self esteem issues related to image, and some other binge eating issues. Then I found a list of affirmations for my conditions and I put them in colorful cards. I would read the cards every day and would choose a specific one for every day. It might sound stupid, but it helped me as it gave me strength. It might be fake, but it still was there. Then I got a bit better and I was proud of doing it on my own and that gave me strength too. So I suggested her to maybe ask the therapist if this could help her too. She was interested which is better than being just totally against it.
That's a good suggestion.

Oh that's good she's going to therapy and it seems to be helping some. Oh man her family history obviously is significant. Schizophrenia is very genetic.
Old 06-02-2018, 08:20 AM
Fan Forum Legend

Moderator of ...
Everwood

My poor little Buddy not only has the anal gland issue/they were blocked, not completely draining but he also has an infection in one of the glands which is why he was walking so gingerly and not feeling comfortable. So he was battling two kinds of pain, the not draining completely and the infection. The vet also confirmed the heat probably played a massive part to why this would develop now. Buddy and I are apparently alike... we hate the heat! LOL

So she drained the glands (you heard him yelping, hating the process, I'm sure it was worse due to the infection) and has him on an antibiotic for two weeks. He needs to return in two weeks for a recheck.

I picked him up and he yelped just now so he's still very tender. I just gave him his first round of antibiotic.
Old 06-02-2018, 08:44 AM
Fan Forum Legend

Moderator of ...
Everwood

Quote:
There is definitely genetic component for sure . Her mother's condition appeared around the same as my friend now. So there must be something about this. His brother on the other hand was diagnosed quite young. Around his teens or something like that while for her and her mother it was more like around 27/28 age.
It is a combination of genetics, environment, and altered brain chemistry but genetics is a strong factor.

Here is a chart stating as much: Schizophrenia.com - Schizophrenia Genetics and Heredity

My guess is this is your friend's diagnosis. Now there are varying degrees of course and yes, the age of diagnosis can be variable as well.
Old 06-02-2018, 08:46 AM
Fan Forum Legend

Moderator of ...
Everwood

Quote:
Ugh infection. Sucks. No wonder it's bothering him. Most probably he is in a lot of pain because of the infection.

Ah just hug him because most probably it will take few days for the pain to go away .
Thanks.

Yes, exactly. I knew it was the glands but it seemed like there was another factor as well based on how he was behaving. The little guy has the bad GI tract and not even when he's getting sick does he act like he's sick. He's running around. This was different. When I saw him yesterday morning not sleeping next to me, it was a huge red flag. Then of course the attention to his rear and the way he was walking at times. I also noticed a couple days ago while he was going to the bathroom, it was not as much. I am sure it hurt him down there so he held back.

I hate leaving him tonight for the Graduation but he'll sleep so it should be okay.
Old 06-02-2018, 09:35 AM
Administrator

Quote:
My poor little Buddy not only has the anal gland issue/they were blocked, not completely draining but he also has an infection in one of the glands which is why he was walking so gingerly and not feeling comfortable. So he was battling two kinds of pain, the not draining completely and the infection. The vet also confirmed the heat probably played a massive part to why this would develop now. Buddy and I are apparently alike... we hate the heat! LOL

So she drained the glands (you heard him yelping, hating the process, I'm sure it was worse due to the infection) and has him on an antibiotic for two weeks. He needs to return in two weeks for a recheck.

I picked him up and he yelped just now so he's still very tender. I just gave him his first round of antibiotic.
Aww, poor Buddy! It's a good thing that you took him to the vet. I hope that he feels better soon!

There are those who look at things the way they are and ask why - I dream of things that never were and ask why not. - Robert F. Kennedy
Old 06-02-2018, 10:40 AM
Fan Forum Legend

Moderator of ...
Everwood

Quote:
Thanks. I will check the link! Well different doctors give her different diagnosis. First they thought that she had depression, then OCD and schizophrenic depression or it was depressive schizophrenia (sorry don't know how this is called) and then just schizophrenia.

I could say that she used to act like her brother (just by looking from outside) but I saw this change once she started taking treatment so I was never sure which symptoms were true and which were due to the treatment. She now does not act at all like her brother. To me now she looks more normal, trying to have hobbies to help her deal with depression, sleeps better than she used and definitely better than me. She now tries to work out too. I am not sure that we can see that much improvement in schizophrenia patient. What do you think? Is it possible? Her brother to me does not look that normal despite taking treatment. Meaning the treatment does not mask his condition and I just feel that there is something off. Same with her mother because I have met her. With my friend I feel her off sometimes and others not.
They are varying degrees of schizophrenia. You can be completely 100% functioning just fine (and you'd never know) or catatonic and not even able to function at all. So she definitely could still have schizophrenia and see large improvement due to treatment, medication and/or therapy. I am guessing the depression is a side effect of the schizophrenia.

There's five subtypes: Paranoid Schizophrenia, Disorganized Schizophrenia, Catatonic Schizophrenia, Undifferentiated Schizophrenia, and Residual Schizophrenia.

Last edited by jediwands; 06-02-2018 at 10:46 AM
Old 06-02-2018, 10:48 AM
Fan Forum Legend

Moderator of ...
Everwood

Quote:
Will he be alone or there will be someone else with him? How long you will be gone? Have fun at the graduation!
Thanks! We're first going out for an early dinner (4) here locally. Then the ceremony is downtown at 7:30 PM. So dinner will take about an hour. Then I can go home quickly for about an hour, then we'll leave for downtown around 6:30ish. Probably home around 9. So he'll be alone for both.
Old 06-02-2018, 10:49 AM
Fan Forum Legend

Moderator of ...
Everwood

Quote:
Aww, poor Buddy! It's a good thing that you took him to the vet. I hope that he feels better soon!
Thanks. He wants to be left alone. He keeps running for his crate. The timing of this is not good since I have Anna's Graduation today.
Closed Thread   Post New Thread