Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Closed Thread   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Thread Tools
Old 05-22-2018, 10:08 AM
Fan Forum Legend

Moderator of ...
Everwood

I go to Walgreens and the Police Arrive

So I just got back from Walgreens and something interesting happened...

I picked out the things I needed (I was getting some sugar free/gluten free mints) and I heard a woman talking to herself. She was about six feet from where I was standing. Instantly I felt nervous. I never usually feel great out and about in general (social anxiety/Introversion) but the usual slight nervousness turned into being very nervous. I watched her as I was heading towards the check out and she followed me. Not to follow me deliberately but she was just headed there. She started to mumble and her voice was increasing in sound to the point of yelling... Trump sucks! Life sucks! People suck! I love my dog but he can't help everyone! ... and a few other things she repeated over and over again. A gentleman who was watching walked up to her and tried to help her. She tried pushing him away. The cashier told me the police were being called. I got my things and stood and looked at her... she wanted no part in the man helping her so naturally I walked up to her and asked if she was okay and needed anything. She looked at me and asked what I said... with a "What?" I asked her if she needed help, I could help her. She said no but just stood there and stopped chanting. I asked her if she could hold my hand so I could help. She gave me her hand. We walked outside and sat on the bench. She never said a word to me. Just silence but she didn't let go of my hand. The police arrived about three minutes later. Immediately I asked them if it was necessary. They informed me she would be taken to the hospital, not jail. She was calm and went with the one officer. The second officer told me she was a local and suffers from Bipolar. I told him I knew all about Bipolar. He thanked me for calming her. I told him I was a Clinical Psychologist. He smiled and said now he knows why I was able to calm her. I was ready to say it wasn't just being a Clinical Psychologist, try Empath and INFJ but maybe he'd want to lock me up, haha, JK.

I was glad I helped the situation and hope she's going to be okay.

Last edited by jediwands; 05-22-2018 at 11:37 AM
Old 05-22-2018, 10:09 AM
Fan Forum Legend

Moderator of ...
Everwood

Quote:
Originally Posted by secretk (View Post)
I am working and we had lots of discussions today so maybe this is why I lost voice in the end. Having cold combined with a lot of talking might have this side effect. Yeah luckily tomorrow is my last work day this week.
The talking is exactly why.
Old 05-22-2018, 10:48 AM
Administrator

That's wonderful that you did that Michelle.

There are those who look at things the way they are and ask why - I dream of things that never were and ask why not. - Robert F. Kennedy
Old 05-22-2018, 11:34 AM
Fan Forum Legend

Moderator of ...
Everwood

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry D (View Post)
That's wonderful that you did that Michelle.
Thanks, Jerry. She was definitely experiencing a manic episode... disorganized behavior, aggression, agitation, borderline delusion, racing thoughts. I would wager a guess she's now entered depressive-mode either via medication or her own doing. I will bet she doesn't like to take her medication. Just a hunch. The way the police officer sounded, it appears as if this has happened more than once. I really hope they can help her this time around so her moods will be more balanced. I know the gentleman was only trying to help but the second he stepped forward I knew she'd see it as a threat which she did. She viewed it as physical aggression. She needed gentle handling assistance with her feeling in control of getting the assistance so I did just that.
Old 05-22-2018, 11:52 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilpen (View Post)
I go to Walgreens and the Police Arrive

So I just got back from Walgreens and something interesting happened...

I picked out the things I needed (I was getting some sugar free/gluten free mints) and I heard a woman talking to herself. She was about six feet from where I was standing. Instantly I felt nervous. I never usually feel great out and about in general (social anxiety/Introversion) but the usual slight nervousness turned into being very nervous. I watched her as I was heading towards the check out and she followed me. Not to follow me deliberately but she was just headed there. She started to mumble and her voice was increasing in sound to the point of yelling... Trump sucks! Life sucks! People suck! I love my dog but he can't help everyone! ... and a few other things she repeated over and over again. A gentleman who was watching walked up to her and tried to help her. She tried pushing him away. The cashier told me the police were being called. I got my things and stood and looked at her... she wanted no part in the man helping her so naturally I walked up to her and asked if she was okay and needed anything. She looked at me and asked what I said... with a "What?" I asked her if she needed help, I could help her. She said no but just stood there and stopped chanting. I asked her if she could hold my hand so I could help. She gave me her hand. We walked outside and sat on the bench. She never said a word to me. Just silence but she didn't let go of my hand. The police arrived about three minutes later. Immediately I asked them if it was necessary. They informed me she would be taken to the hospital, not jail. She was calm and went with the one officer. The second officer told me she was a local and suffers from Bipolar. I told him I knew all about Bipolar. He thanked me for calming her. I told him I was a Clinical Psychologist. He smiled and said now he knows why I was able to calm her. I was ready to say it wasn't just being a Clinical Psychologist, try Empath and INFJ but maybe he'd want to lock me up, haha, JK.

I was glad I helped the situation and hope she's going to be okay.
Wow, Michelle! You were meant to be there for this poor woman!
Old 05-22-2018, 11:54 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by secretk (View Post)
I am working and we had lots of discussions today so maybe this is why I lost voice in the end. Having cold combined with a lot of talking might have this side effect. Yeah luckily tomorrow is my last work day this week.
You have more responsibility now, Koni. I guess more talking comes with the territory. Reat your voice when you're home.
Old 05-22-2018, 11:57 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry D (View Post)
Speaking as a man, I have had a lifelong friendship with a woman I grew up with back in The Bronx (New York) and we were never interested in each other romantically. I also have on-line friendships with some women (like you, Michelle as an example) and there’s one woman from my old neighborhood I’m friends with through Facebook and she sends me a nice message every day, so some men can have friendships with women without any romantic undertones. I will freely admit that when I was young and single if I was interested in a woman and she said that she just wanted to be friends that I couldn’t be friends with her because it would hurt too much to be around her.
I agree that just being "friends" is a lot easier when one is older.
Old 05-22-2018, 11:58 AM
Fan Forum Hero

I just want to announce that I broke 100 today in bowling. Not a great thing for most people, but for me...miraculous.
Old 05-22-2018, 12:00 PM
Fan Forum Legend

Moderator of ...
Everwood

Quote:
Originally Posted by everwoodfan52 (View Post)
Wow, Michelle! You were meant to be there for this poor woman!
Thanks! I am so glad I was there to help her and I pray that she gets relief.
Old 05-22-2018, 12:00 PM
Fan Forum Legend

Moderator of ...
Everwood

Quote:
I just want to announce that I broke 100 today in bowling. Not a great thing for most people, but for me...miraculous.
LOL! Congrats!
Old 05-22-2018, 01:52 PM
Administrator

Quote:
That's great Betty! I used to bowl when I was young, but I was a lousy bowler. The highest score I ever got was 130, and that was also miraculous!

There are those who look at things the way they are and ask why - I dream of things that never were and ask why not. - Robert F. Kennedy
Old 05-22-2018, 01:54 PM
Administrator

Quote:
I agree that just being "friends" is a lot easier when one is older.
Definitely. I'll also admit that when I was young I would have liked to have dated some of the women I was friends with or friendly with, but I was shy and I couldn't muster up the courage to ask them out.

Old 05-22-2018, 01:59 PM
Fan Forum Legend

Moderator of ...
Everwood

My parents were in a bowling league for years and they were both talented bowlers. I loved watching them play.
Old 05-22-2018, 06:53 PM
Administrator

Exercise tip: It's impossible to do abdominal crunches when your dog comes over and starts kissing you!

Old 05-22-2018, 07:32 PM
Fan Forum Legend

Moderator of ...
Everwood

So I think I might be getting sick again. I feel a scratchy throat, increased congestion like you get at the beginning of a cold and ears feel plugged again. It could be an extension of the first one but I don’t think so. Immune Deficiency now wants to bother me I guess by doing this back-to-back.
Closed Thread   Post New Thread