Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Closed Thread   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Thread Tools
Old 05-11-2018, 08:21 AM
Fan Forum Legend

Moderator of ...
Everwood

Quote:
Originally Posted by secretk (View Post)
Her reaction was that she will do it if the company pays for it. M tried to explain to her that she needs this no matter in which company she works for. And that this would be something that would help her in her career anyway.

Yes while M and O know some English they are not on my level. However honestly everyone in the team is not on my level. They have never hired them based on language level and have never checked for it or did some tests for it. As a result most of the people do not have the language level I have.

Also they never had to interact that much in English under the ex boss because he would not let them deal with stuff like that. He would basically center everything around him, the architect and the jerk so the people did not have that much interaction with foreigners. Once they had to start working with French closely it was pretty clear that they have no good language level.
I guess she does slightly have a point though... especially since the ex boss and HR hired her for looks over anything else. But in a way she's right since they obviously knew her English was poor and still hired her. So it kind of should be up to the company to pay for it if it's now not good enough if that makes sense. Although, naturally she should probably want to improve regardless.

You should be compensated for being fluent in English.
Old 05-11-2018, 08:23 AM
Fan Forum Legend

Moderator of ...
Everwood

Quote:
I see. Interesting how both Anna and Sara have blue eyes.
Blue eyes on both sides... Scot's family has a bunch with blue eyes and my mom's side has like 90% blue or green and 10% brown or hazel.

So that's definitely where they get the blue eyes.
Old 05-11-2018, 08:24 AM
Fan Forum Legend

Moderator of ...
Everwood

New title ideas?
Old 05-11-2018, 09:05 AM
Fan Forum Legend

Moderator of ...
Everwood

Quote:
We told her to contact the HR. Truth be told it depends on the point of view. It's true that she was hired by someone else, but now I am her boss. I have no issues giving her lower scores based on the fact that she does not know English. I also have no issues refusing support related to language competences. I mean I already announced officially that they can't use M for any other project but the one we are doing with French. She does not work on this project so she can't rely on him translating for her. I am sorry, but he has far more important tasks than this.

And I could always update the Job description for B2 level English then she can be let go just be cause she does not meet the criteria.

Yeah it sucks for her, but it's also unacceptable for her to expect others to do the communication for her.

It does help at work . Posting here helps too as I can use and improve my skills.

Btw I had a talk today with the CTO and he solved my issues basically. He told me to send an email to him, the German CTO (he approves hiring of people) and the HR requesting coordinator solely for my team explaining the roles and responsibilities of the person. I already sent the email. If we get approval, we even have the person to hire so it could be really quick.
I get why you take issue with the situation and her language but I can't get past the fact that she was hired for really inappropriate reasons. It's just not right. But like I said, I can see why you want her English to improve.

That's great. The French witch I know used this board and probably me in general for her English. I wish I would have taught her inappropriate phrases and stupid ways to state things in looking back. Either way, she can grasp English all she wants but with her squeaky voice and horrible energy, it doesn't matter anyway. LOL
Old 05-11-2018, 09:09 AM
Fan Forum Legend

Moderator of ...
Everwood

Quote:
I am totally blocked but how about something related to the dentist issues you had.

Like "Because we could eat up a thread for a week despite having tooth or work issues".
I like your title! Perfect!

I am leaving now to get my niece her lunch and pick her up so I can't start the thread (if I go there) until I get home around 1.
Old 05-11-2018, 11:02 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilpen (View Post)
Thanks, Jerry!

Blue eyes. What color are Teresa's eyes?
Teresa has brown eyes. Half her siblings had blonde hair and blue eyes from their father and the other half had brown hair and brown eyes from their mother.

There are those who look at things the way they are and ask why - I dream of things that never were and ask why not. - Robert F. Kennedy
Old 05-11-2018, 11:25 AM
Fan Forum Legend

Moderator of ...
Everwood

Quote:
She was and this is the responsibility of the HR and my ex boss. If HR wants to pay for her courses be it. I won't spend my time fighting for this though as I did not hire.

That would have been so hilarious . I actually used work to improve my English. I studied it at school and I was good when it comes to written communication, but I was not that good in the beginning when it comes to talking. The more meetings I participated in, the better I became. I have worked on my language skills and continue to do so. I am sorry but the fact that some people do not take initiative is an issue itself.

I did know enough though because in the beginning I would even translate stuff for the company site from Bulgarian to English and German. So I was never like her. That's for sure.
Makes sense.

You have mastered the English language, both writing and speaking. It's wonderful, especially given the career that you're in. You are priceless when it comes to communication skills. I even remember that French witch saying that the ones in their company who knew English as a secondary language got paid more and job-wise, the sky was the limit because they were able to travel on business meetings around the world. They did a lot of business in the US, especially Texas and Chicago so many traveled here and stayed for longer assignments.

You definitely are at a huge advantage with your knowledge and ability.

ETA:
Quote:
No worries. I am here. If we reach 300 posts, I will create the new one .
I am home now so now we have to decide who is going to start.
Old 05-11-2018, 11:27 AM
Fan Forum Legend

Moderator of ...
Everwood

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry D (View Post)
Teresa has brown eyes. Half her siblings had blonde hair and blue eyes from their father and the other half had brown hair and brown eyes from their mother.
Got it. I've seen your pictures... she's so pretty. You guys make a striking couple.
Old 05-11-2018, 11:31 AM
Master Fan

New thread