Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

New Forum Poll   |     Fall TV Shows   |     Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Closed Thread   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Thread Tools
Old 12-07-2017, 09:27 PM
Administrator

It actually snowed here tonight! I was shocked! It stuck for a little while and the little girl across the street was able to make a snowball and throw it! It was neat! This is the first time that I ever saw it snow here where I live.

There are those who look at things the way they are and ask why - I dream of things that never were and ask why not. - Robert F. Kennedy
Old 12-07-2017, 09:30 PM
Master Fan

Moderator of ...
Everwood

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry D (View Post)
It actually snowed here tonight! I was shocked! It stuck for a little while and the little girl across the street was able to make a snowball and throw it! It was neat! This is the first time that I ever saw it snow here where I live.
Oh so it does not snow where you live? I did not know that. I guess I had not thought about it. Awesome that you saw a bit of snow!
Old 12-07-2017, 09:31 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Apt (View Post)
It's too bad you can't work from home too often, but at least you can sometimes go there. How often do you work from home, say, in a month?
I try to do it once every two weeks, or whenever I have to work on a major project. I was able to do it more in the last few months because I was working on some projects. One person in my group works from home all the time because she has a special needs child, but no one else is able to do that. I think that one of the reasons that the woman I was friends with got fired was because she worked from home a lot (with her bosses permission for a while) but people got jealous and started complaining to her boss so she wasn't allowed to do it anymore, and eventually she got fired.

There are those who look at things the way they are and ask why - I dream of things that never were and ask why not. - Robert F. Kennedy
Old 12-07-2017, 09:33 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by secretk (View Post)
Oh so it does not snow where you live? I did not know that. I guess I had not thought about it. Awesome that you saw a bit of snow!
No, it very rarely snows here as it's usually too warm, (I live near Houston Texas) but we had a cold front come in and it's been raining all week, and tonight we got some snow.

Old 12-07-2017, 09:44 PM
Master Fan

Moderator of ...
Everwood

Quote:
No, it very rarely snows here as it's usually too warm, (I live near Houston Texas) but we had a cold front come in and it's been raining all week, and tonight we got some snow.
I see. Here is normal to have snow . We already had 2 or 3 times snow this winter. The second time was the worst for me (this winter) because it would not melt for 5 days. It was cold enough to get icy. Last year however was worse. We had snow for a month and even more and it was icy. As I walk a lot to go to work, this was not situation I enjoyed.
Old 12-07-2017, 09:56 PM
Administrator

Quote:
I see. Here is normal to have snow . We already had 2 or 3 times snow this winter. The second time was the worst for me (this winter) because it would not melt for 5 days. It was cold enough to get icy. Last year however was worse. We had snow for a month and even more and it was icy. As I walk a lot to go to work, this was not situation I enjoyed.
When I lived in New York City and in New Jersey, it snowed a lot, so I remember how bad it was when it got icy.

Old 12-07-2017, 10:19 PM
Master Fan

Moderator of ...
Everwood

Quote:
When I lived in New York City and in New Jersey, it snowed a lot, so I remember how bad it was when it got icy.
Yeah, there is a lot more snow there . In general I hate winter and snow so I just go into hibernation in the winter (as much as possible) and wait for the season to end .
Old 12-08-2017, 05:20 AM
Administrator

Here's something we hardly ever see here, SNOW! This is my house this morning! I'm glad that our cars are in the garage! All the neighbors' cars have snow and ice on the windshield! I don't even know where my ice scraper is!

Old 12-08-2017, 09:17 AM
Master Fan

Moderator of ...
Everwood

Jerry definitely good that your car was in the garage. I like the Christmas decoration (I assume that the lights are part of the decoration).
Old 12-08-2017, 09:24 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Jerry definitely good that your car was in the garage. I like the Christmas decoration (I assume that the lights are part of the decoration).
Thanks Koni! Yes, all those lights are part of our Christmas decorations.

Old 12-08-2017, 09:29 AM
Master Fan

Moderator of ...
Everwood

Quote:
Thanks Koni! Yes, all those lights are part of our Christmas decorations.
So cool that you put them! We do not have the habit to have any Christmas decoration outside. We have inside, but it's basically two Christmas trees. One bigger in the hallway and a smaller one in the living room. We put them on Christmas eve.

My mother is quite tired these years so she basically stores the trees decorated and she only puts them out around Christmas and then keeps them again decorated in the basement.

In a nutshell we do not decorate for Christmas . Well if you exclude me buying Christmas Lego sets that I build and have at home, at my parents' home and even in the office on my desk.
Old 12-08-2017, 10:17 AM
Administrator

Many people here in the United States decorate their houses for Christmas. Some people go way overboard when they decorate their houses to the point where their houses look garish, but some people really do a nice job. Teresa and I used to drive around and look at the houses when we lived in another part of Texas because there were neighborhoods near us that were known to have beautifully decorated homes but we don't do that where we live now.

Old 12-08-2017, 11:12 AM
Fan Forum Star

Moderator of ...
Everwood

Love the picture, Jerry!!!!!

We had a snow storm several days ago and it's been all white as a result with lots of snow. This is nothing new here. Your picture looks extra special because it's rare and that makes it magical.
Old 12-08-2017, 11:17 AM
Fan Forum Star

Moderator of ...
Everwood

Quote:
Yes, normally we travel together in the evening. In the morning I am alone. I go to work way earlier than them. In the evening we are together unless someone has to stay long at work or someone has something else to do. For example M was not with us on Tuesday because he had something else to do.

K and I live in the same neighborhood so for us it makes sense to travel together. M lives in another, but it's close enough to us to use the same tram. When we moved to the new office M and I first were not with the team. Our desks had not arrived so the jerk, M, the former female co-worker (that I met in the weekend) and I were in another room. So M and I arranged the first evening traveling together and it just remained like that.

In most cases I do not travel alone, but with at least one of them. Next week this might not happen as I will finish in 6 pm the earliest because of the workshop and M likes to leave earlier than 6 pm. But yeah on average we travel together.
Good! I assume it's dark when you go to work and come home as well?

Quote:
Plus this does not fit into my moral compass. I believe that it's only fair to credit people for the things they are good at. Just like in a relationship people should not take their partners for granted, the same applies at work. However balance is needed. Not every day you do something so unique that you need pat on the back. Superlatives should be kept for the case where someone really did something good and not for everything they do. Of course during the evaluation this should be mentioned. Evaluation is not only to discuss the areas for improvement, it's also the time to show what the person does good.

We might be wrong. We do not know the reasons, but the fact that he favors people that are not that smart or capable does not help. This is why M has so much issues with him. It's one thing to like someone that is really smart and capable and to defend him even and totally different to do it for people that just lack brain. That girl while good looking, is just not good. Like it's not because she does not know something. She just does not think. She can't even explain why and how she did something.
So weird. I am shocked your boss gets away with this BS. Someone higher up could track his behavior and understand that he's not doing his job properly at all due to having favorites (maybe because of looks, wtf) and not truly evaluating people based on job performance only. It's crazy.

Quote:
This is true. Extroverts would not want to work from home. They would need the social interaction and leaving the home. Also some people need external motivation. If they stay at home, they just would not work as no one is there to basically micromanage them.

I would have loved to have your setup and work from home.
Exactly, there's definitely some that would hate this set up.

I remember in college I knew people who could not study in the dorm in silence and had to be at the library around people or else they couldn't concentrate. I never understood that at all. When I went to the library I was overstimulated by the people walking in and out, the quiet but annoying laughter you could hear, etc. I could never get anything done when others were walking around and I needed to fully concentrate.
Old 12-08-2017, 12:01 PM
Master Fan

Moderator of ...
Everwood

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Apt (View Post)
Good! I assume it's dark when you go to work and come home as well?
Yeah. Right now it's dark when I go to work and when I leave work. However I still need to walk from the station to home in the dark alone. I just call my mother and talk to her on the road.

What they help me is to isolate me from the crowd in the tram. When I am with them I focus on talking to them and I don't notice how crowded the tram is. I get anxiety if I notice the crowd. So this is why I prefer to not be alone in a full with people tram.
Quote:
So weird. I am shocked your boss gets away with this BS. Someone higher up could track his behavior and understand that he's not doing his job properly at all due to having favorites (maybe because of looks, wtf) and not truly evaluating people based on job performance only. It's crazy.
лю can't explain himself well (he admits to it) and I am sure that he was unable to argue with the boss on how she sucks. The boss tries to micromanage him and tell him what to do and M just remains silent and of course does nothing of what the boss told him. With me he is OK because I understand him and does not question him. He can't explain himself indeed but I use my Introversion to understand what people are talking about. I don't need a lot to figure out the details on my own and fill in the gaps. My boss however is not good with this and if you can't explain yourself, he will ignore you.

I will definitely help M with this and I already have plan for this on Monday. I also know how to motivate him - if he wants to get what he wants, he needs to convince people and this requires good explaining. And for the next evaluations I will help him to prove our point that she sucks.

Quote:
Exactly, there's definitely some that would hate this set up.
For sure .

Quote:
I remember in college I knew people who could not study in the dorm in silence and had to be at the library around people or else they couldn't concentrate. I never understood that at all. When I went to the library I was overstimulated by the people walking in and out, the quiet but annoying laughter you could hear, etc. I could never get anything done when others were walking around and I needed to fully concentrate.
I am OK with studying alone in the dorm with music. I hated studying in the dorm with my roommates there. I would never study in library . Same as you. I would get overstimulated by the people there. This is why I hate the open office so much.