Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Closed Thread   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Thread Tools
Old 09-03-2017, 07:01 AM
Fan Forum Legend

Moderator of ...
Everwood

Quote:
Originally Posted by secretk (View Post)
My parents deal with death in really healthy way. I guess in this all three of us look alike. We have accepted death as part of life. So we accept that people that we love will die. Now the things are fairly normal for my mom. She does not talk too much about this, but with the time she accepted her mother's death as natural occurrence in life and tries to move on.
That's good. Glad to hear. How do you think your aunt's taking it?

Quote:
In the dream there was discussion about something (never mentioned in the dream and at first I thought that it was the technical seminar) between my aunt and my grandmother that it should not happen before 21 May because this is my Name appreciation day. On the day of the funeral my aunt basically said that they had this conversation in the hospital. There were also other conversations between my mom and me that were in the dream. It was basic stuff on how we are and how we feel. I don't remember them now, but during the funeral everything was familiar to me. At that day I realized that I was basically prepared for that day because I have seen it before.
Interesting. Really interesting! It's like you were almost preparing yourself for these future conversations. That, or your Grandmother was going there too, maybe both.

Quote:
For sure . But I have not seen him in my dreams since then. I have always thought that it's because his soul rests in piece.
I believe it's because he knew precisely what you needed and that is what you received. If you wanted more encounters with him, presto, he'd be there.
Old 09-03-2017, 07:11 AM
Fan Forum Legend

Moderator of ...
Everwood

Quote:
Why do you think this happens?
I think you have your diehard baseball fans but there are some who believe the season is too long and want it shortened. However, the baseball playoffs, no one is talking about them being boring or too long. Baseball playoffs are awesome. '

But I think to non-Americans the game can seem boring when you compare it to our other sports. That ex-French friend who hates sports in general attended a Chicago Cubs baseball game. She thought it was boring. That's because she was dumb and didn't realize she was witnessing attending a game of a storied franchise and didn't bother researching the culture, certainly the rules of the game. If she had understanding AND still thought it was boring, so be it but she didn't even try understanding the culture of the game in general, and the specific team and how storied they are. Then again, she hates sports in general, including soccer. But I can see why baseball wouldn't be as appealing to non-Americans at the same time. It is America's Pastime. We celebrate it around the 4th of July when families go to the ballparks, etc. There's a lot of history around the sport and our culture.

Quote:
Yes and too many games might lead to health issues and injuries.
Exactly. It would be way too much.

Quote:

True.

Are you expected to talk a lot during those meetings? Also how long they are usually and how many people participate?

I see. Is it the same for every university or it depends?
Yes, I have to talk some during the meetings. One meeting is generally anywhere from 1-3 hours. For these upcoming meetings, there will be about 8-10 people.

It depends but usually the same rules apply for universities in certain parts of the country. But you also have public colleges and private colleges too. Both schedules are different as well.
Old 09-03-2017, 07:18 AM
Fan Forum Legend

Moderator of ...
Everwood

What's everyone doing this weekend? Anyone have holiday plans?

We have a massive State Fair in Minnesota. It's been award winning for years and years. It's huge. People come from all around the country to attend. My nieces and friends all went together which I thought was cool (Anna's friend drove both sets of friends), sister and brother-in-law went with friends yesterday. I actually would enjoy going but don't think I'm going to go this year. I was at the Mall of America yesterday (had an appointment with Apple) and couldn't believe the amount of people. Many park their cars at the Mall of America and then take a bus to the State Fairgrounds. We are also talking tourists being here over the holiday and it being a weekend in general. It took me about 40 minutes to find a parking spot. My dad ended up running in first. What a zoo. But once you get into the Mall of America it's so huge you don't feel the crowds very much. You do in the parking lot, though, and with all the hotels surrounding, it feels like NYC.

Anyway, this weekend we are cleaning, getting the new furniture, watching sports. No specific holiday plans.
Old 09-03-2017, 10:36 PM
Master Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Apt (View Post)
That's good. Glad to hear. How do you think your aunt's taking it?
Well it's hard to tell. She usually gets more dramatic compared to me, my mom, you. She is the type of person that complains for everything and because I am not that type of person I can't judge enough to know how she handles it. It seems that for her is more difficult compared to my mom.

Quote:
Interesting. Really interesting! It's like you were almost preparing yourself for these future conversations. That, or your Grandmother was going there too, maybe both.
I bet on both. I think that my grandmother was preparing herself and that she felt it, but I also think that I picked up her energy. I bet that I indeed picked up the conversation she had with my aunt. Then my Intuition worked out some stuff on its own and basically knew why the conversation happened and then I know my mom enough I guess to know how we would handle something like that. So most probably something like that happened.

Quote:
I believe it's because he knew precisely what you needed and that is what you received. If you wanted more encounters with him, presto, he'd be there.
Could be . I have been doing some thinking over the idea of him being sort of like guardian to me etc and I feel like he might have helped at lease on one specific case. Not sure. I know that I changed after that day and I know that I was lucky to get away of it like that. So I would not be that surprised if he had intervened there. It was weird case anyway and it was like second chance for me so he might have helped.
Old 09-03-2017, 10:40 PM
Master Fan

Quote:
I think you have your diehard baseball fans but there are some who believe the season is too long and want it shortened. However, the baseball playoffs, no one is talking about them being boring or too long. Baseball playoffs are awesome.
How long is the season?

Quote:
But I think to non-Americans the game can seem boring when you compare it to our other sports. That ex-French friend who hates sports in general attended a Chicago Cubs baseball game. She thought it was boring. That's because she was dumb and didn't realize she was witnessing attending a game of a storied franchise and didn't bother researching the culture, certainly the rules of the game. If she had understanding AND still thought it was boring, so be it but she didn't even try understanding the culture of the game in general, and the specific team and how storied they are. Then again, she hates sports in general, including soccer. But I can see why baseball wouldn't be as appealing to non-Americans at the same time. It is America's Pastime. We celebrate it around the 4th of July when families go to the ballparks, etc. There's a lot of history around the sport and our culture.
Really interesting! I have not read a lot about baseball. I could watch the game, but I would not choose it over volleyball for example. That is however personal preference. Volleyball ruined me for other team sports . I expect scoring of points every minute. And basketball and volleyball are the only sports that could give me this. And European volleyball sucks compared to NBA so I am left with volleyball.

Quote:
Yes, I have to talk some during the meetings. One meeting is generally anywhere from 1-3 hours. For these upcoming meetings, there will be about 8-10 people.
Do you find those meetings draining?

Quote:
It depends but usually the same rules apply for universities in certain parts of the country. But you also have public colleges and private colleges too. Both schedules are different as well.
I see. Here it depends on the university. All begin between September and October, but it depends. For example the university I went to started like beginning of September. Other one started beginning of October and they are in the same city .
Old 09-04-2017, 09:27 AM
Fan Forum Legend

Moderator of ...
Everwood

Quote:
Well it's hard to tell. She usually gets more dramatic compared to me, my mom, you. She is the type of person that complains for everything and because I am not that type of person I can't judge enough to know how she handles it. It seems that for her is more difficult compared to my mom.
Makes sense. What about your cousins?

Quote:
I bet on both. I think that my grandmother was preparing herself and that she felt it, but I also think that I picked up her energy. I bet that I indeed picked up the conversation she had with my aunt. Then my Intuition worked out some stuff on its own and basically knew why the conversation happened and then I know my mom enough I guess to know how we would handle something like that. So most probably something like that happened.
Makes sense. Both for sure transpired. It all falls right into place.

Quote:
Could be . I have been doing some thinking over the idea of him being sort of like guardian to me etc and I feel like he might have helped at lease on one specific case. Not sure. I know that I changed after that day and I know that I was lucky to get away of it like that. So I would not be that surprised if he had intervened there. It was weird case anyway and it was like second chance for me so he might have helped.
That's great.

Do you ever just feel him around?
Old 09-04-2017, 09:32 AM
Fan Forum Legend

Moderator of ...
Everwood

Quote:
How long is the season?
There is 162 games played over approximately six months, plus the postseason. The regular season typically goes from early April to late September, followed by the postseason in October.

Quote:
Really interesting! I have not read a lot about baseball. I could watch the game, but I would not choose it over volleyball for example. That is however personal preference. Volleyball ruined me for other team sports . I expect scoring of points every minute. And basketball and volleyball are the only sports that could give me this. And European volleyball sucks compared to NBA so I am left with volleyball.
Got it.

Quote:
Do you find those meetings draining?
Always.

Quote:
I see. Here it depends on the university. All begin between September and October, but it depends. For example the university I went to started like beginning of September. Other one started beginning of October and they are in the same city .
Interesting. Do they all have similar school years in length? For example, the university you attended starting earlier... would you end the school year earlier than the other one that started in October?
Old 09-04-2017, 03:55 PM
Administrator

We had a nice Labor Day weekend. Our neighbors had a party that we were invited to last night, and we had a good time.

Today we're just taking it easy and I'm going back to work tomorrow for the first time after having 11 days off and I'll be driving to our new office for the first time.

I just have to work this week and next week and then I'll be on vacation for a week.

There are those who look at things the way they are and ask why - I dream of things that never were and ask why not. - Robert F. Kennedy
Old 09-04-2017, 04:57 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry D (View Post)
We had a nice Labor Day weekend. Our neighbors had a party that we were invited to last night, and we had a good time.

Today we're just taking it easy and I'm going back to work tomorrow for the first time after having 11 days off and I'll be driving to our new office for the first time.

I just have to work this week and next week and then I'll be on vacation for a week.
Sounds like you are having lots of vacation time! That is great, Jerry! Do you have any plans of traveling on you next vacation?
Old 09-04-2017, 06:44 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by everwoodfan52 (View Post)
Sounds like you are having lots of vacation time! That is great, Jerry! Do you have any plans of traveling on you next vacation?
We're not sure yet. We may go to Canyon Lake for a few days in either September or October, and I want to go somewhere special in December for my 60th birthday.

There are those who look at things the way they are and ask why - I dream of things that never were and ask why not. - Robert F. Kennedy
Old 09-04-2017, 08:11 PM
Fan Forum Star

Moderator of ...
Nancy Drew

I have spent a good chunk of my weekend prepping for tomorrow. I am excited/nervous to meet a bunch of eight year olds.
Old 09-04-2017, 08:31 PM
Administrator

Good luck Shu!

Old 09-04-2017, 09:07 PM
Master Fan

Quote:
Makes sense. What about your cousins?
I have not talked to them, but it seems like they are doing good. Meaning normal.

Quote:
Makes sense. Both for sure transpired. It all falls right into place.
Yeah .

Quote:
That's great.

Do you ever just feel him around?
For now I would not say that I have been in a situation where I would feel him around me. I have had some weird cases where I thought that there was someone not out of this world but outside of this no. But then again I have not been that open or conscious about it either so most probably it's also about opening myself so that I could feel him really.
Old 09-04-2017, 09:18 PM
Fan Forum Legend

Moderator of ...
Everwood

Quote:
Originally Posted by ds44 (View Post)
I have spent a good chunk of my weekend prepping for tomorrow. I am excited/nervous to meet a bunch of eight year olds.
Awe, good luck!

How has work been before this time? Do you like your co-workers?
Old 09-04-2017, 09:18 PM
Master Fan

Quote:
There is 162 games played over approximately six months, plus the postseason. The regular season typically goes from early April to late September, followed by the postseason in October.
Wow those are a lot of games and baseball games do last more than soccer game. At least this is the impression I have had.

Quote:
Always.
Same for me. Talking about meetings today I have one hell of agenda:

9:30-10:00 -> meeting with my project manager to discuss a task
10:00-11:00-> meeting with Bulgarian and French people discussing testing
11:00-13:00-> planing for our next cycle (we plan a set of tasks each 6 weeks)
14:00-15:00-> interview
15:00-16:00-> Demo meeting (each 2 weeks the joint French-Bulgarian team demonstrates what they have done)
16:00-18:00-> retrospective meeting (each 2 weeks the joint French-Bulgarian team has meeting to reflect on the past two weeks, to discuss what's been good and what needs to be improved)

And the day basically ends there. No time for me to actually work .

Quote:
Interesting. Do they all have similar school years in length? For example, the university you attended starting earlier... would you end the school year earlier than the other one that started in October?
Yes we would end the school year earlier . But overall the studying experience is quite different in those two universities. For example for us the attendance was mandatory for all lectures and labs. Not that I have been to all, but I compensated my absence with studying on my own and doing my homework and labs and even doing more complex projects compared to what is required. On the other hand in this other university professors do not care if you are there or not.

We had only written exams. Well excluding the German language where they do have to check speaking comprehension. But yeah all other exams were written. In this other university you always have two parts exams - written and verbal.

The last thing was not even specific for my university, but just for my faculty/school. In most places the written exams are topics on which people should write. So it's theory based and you are expected to write like 3-4 pages. Well most of my exams were task oriented. I would have short 1 hour exam with say 10 tasks to solve where you really need to know the theory well. I was even allowed to use my books and notes during exams. But that's solely specific only for my faculty. It's because we are influenced by the German schooling.

Still I consider myself lucky because this is the system that works for me. I hate memorizing long written texts. I love solving tasks so this worked out awesome for me. I also hate verbal exams .

Did you have verbal exams and how did you feel about them?