Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Reply   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Tags Thread Tools
Old 10-17-2011, 02:49 PM
Extreme Fan

Andy/Harold Appreciation Thread

So I posted this in the General Discussion Couples forum, but it was intended for the Everwood forum...so here it goes again!

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I couldn't find an Andy/Harold Appreciation Thread on this forum! So I just had to make one, of course. This thread can be for both their flirtationship (I mean, come on, there are so many signs of it in the series!) and their more standard friendship. Let the appreciating begin!
LemonyPie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 05:33 PM
Fan Forum Hero

I don't believe there's an Andy/Harold thread. Thanks for starting this, LemonyPie.

Many of us love the the growth that these two had over the years as men...and as friends.

Why don't you start us off by sharing some of the things that you love about their relationship.
everwoodfan52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 07:52 PM
Extreme Fan

Great; I shall! Well, I love their relationship through all the four seasons, but I especially am a fan of their season 1 and 2 dynamic. The banter, the friendly rivalry, and--of course--the loads of sexual tension! I liked that, in the first two seasons, Andy was the one actively pursuing a friendship with Harold. The scenes where Andy would almost openly flirt with Harold in an attempt to both a.) annoy and b.) get closer to him were some of the best.

Which seasons of Andy/Harold did you like the best?

Last edited by LemonyPie; 10-17-2011 at 08:02 PM
Old 10-17-2011, 11:32 PM
Master Fan

A second thanks for starting this threat, Lemony! Very appropriate with your avatar too, hee.

Oh, I think we know what you mean about the flirtationship. I think it was called HoYay! in the Television Without Pity weekly recaps. Oh, yes indeed.

Which seasons of Andy/Harold did you like the best?

Good question.

I liked their bond in S4. They were true friends at this point. Both of them had kind of calmed down, had become more open with each other, they just..fit as friends. Harold really benefited from having someone like Andy in his life to be himself and be able to talk to, and Andy benefited too and I think that contributed to how they both mellowed out this season. I mean, the gum stealing scene??? I feel like from S4 on, we know that there's never going to be any drama between them anymore, they're friends for life, they basically both depend on each other and will need each other forever.

That male/male bond that the Everwood writers specialized in (Andy/Ephram, Ephram/Bright, Harold/Bright, and Andy/Harold) was something I've always appreciated because I don't think enough shows do it right. Andy/Harold always did.
“[People] talk to me about these characters as if they’re real, and they’re not real, but they’ve become real...I really think, shows like this one, you have an attachment to them. They’re like friends you check in on."
-Greg Berlanti on Everwood
'Tos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 11:58 PM
Fan Forum Hero

I think Season 1 and Season 4 were the best.

Season 1 they were just amazing to watch because they both changed because of the way each one saw how the other connected. if that makes sense.

And with Rose's surgery. Harold had to put faith in Andy that he was doing everything just right. And in that, Harold had to put faith in himself and his marriage that everything would be okay.
{EphramAmy}
patricia
break the window is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 11:00 AM
Extreme Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by 'Tos
I liked their bond in S4. They were true friends at this point. Both of them had kind of calmed down, had become more open with each other, they just..fit as friends. Harold really benefited from having someone like Andy in his life to be himself and be able to talk to, and Andy benefited too and I think that contributed to how they both mellowed out this season. I mean, the gum stealing scene??? I feel like from S4 on, we know that there's never going to be any drama between them anymore, they're friends for life, they basically both depend on each other and will need each other forever.
Ah, the gum-stealing scene! One of the best from season 4! I did like to see Andy and Harold as more comfortable friends in this season, but they really didn't get enough screentime together. I also think that a lot of what made them so funny and interesting to watch together was taken away in season 3 because of their character's personality changes. Andy seemed to become too angry and sullen in season 3, and although chipper!Harold is adorable, what ever happened to cranky!Harold? I think there were plenty of chances for both sides of his personality to shine. And the cute Andy-being-annoyingly-happy-and-flirting-with-uptight-Harold dynamic was pretty much entirely lost! And it had so much potential to continue and expand with them combining their practices at the end of season 2...
Old 10-18-2011, 11:08 AM
Master Fan

Yes, Andy was more angry in S3, agreed. I think the stress over...whatever the heck he was thinking with Amanda got to him, mixed with what was going on with Ephram. He went back to normal in S4 again, like Amanda was just a dream...or an awful nightmare.

Harold, to me, just simply grew as a character. The benefit of having Andy as a confidant and a friend meant that he was less alone with any problems with patients, he had someone to have fun with and he also had things going better with his life in S4, with his family functioning again finally, his career going well, a friendship with Andy and a great marriage. As well, I think they both grew older, which sometimes can make people grumpier, but with them, made them...more at peace? That's my spin on it, anyway.

I liked that there was a realistic story behind their growth, even though I totally know what you mean by missing their banter, because that was so much fun. I also miss them driving up at the same time, or meeting at the diner (Mama Joy's to Sam's kind of took that away from them). I wish in "Foreverwood" that we had gotten one last moment of them meeting and eating lunch and Harold being annoyed. I did love what we got, Harold being a romantic and rooting for Andy too, though. But I can see what you mean about missing that edge to their friendship. It brought so much great comedy to their scenes.
“[People] talk to me about these characters as if they’re real, and they’re not real, but they’ve become real...I really think, shows like this one, you have an attachment to them. They’re like friends you check in on."

Last edited by 'Tos; 10-18-2011 at 11:39 AM
Old 10-18-2011, 07:55 PM
Fan Forum Hero

My favorite Harold/Andy seasons were seasons 1 and 4 as well. I enjoyed the bickering season one....full of "relationship tension"...I don't know if I want to call it sexual tension. You always know with every couple that starts off that way...(remember Ephram/Madison in the beginning?)...they're going to end up falling in love.
I enjoyed Harold being the fuddy duddy....and Andy being the cool one who kind of got the last word.

Season 4...their friendship was really beautiful. They were there for each other and respected each other. Harold was pulling or Andy to get the girl......Andy was giving Harold sexual advice. This is what best buddies do.

There are a couple of Harold/Andy scenes season 3 that I love. One was the time that Harold ran over to the Browns in his pajamas to gossip about Ephram and Amy's relationship. Just adorable.
The second season 3 scene was the time Andy came over Harold's house (while Harold was eating macorni and cheese and didn't even rinse his dishes!!)...and informed Harold that Ephram and Amy were thinking about having sex.

Funny lines: "How could this happen??" "My daughter is about to be deflowered by super sperm and I'm not supposed to get excited??"

You gotta love Harold!
everwoodfan52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 08:49 PM
Loyal Fan

I enjoyed Harold and Andy in Season 1, but I t didn't start thinking of them as friends until season 2. At first it seemed like they were more like rivals, but when they worked through Tommy, Madison and Kate, as well Andy giving Amy birth control pills together and it seemed to add a depth and substance that wasn't there before, which just grew from there. I do love seeing them share notes now in season 4, I can't imagine the hot shot surgeon or the country doctor tending his flock would have ever done that in season 1.

Since Betty brought up memorable lines, I enjoyed all the bar scenes in season 2 but this is probably my favourite

Hal: My daughter is dating a paroled addict.
Andy: My 16 year old son is dating his 20 year old babysitter.
Hal: Barkeep, two more please.

And I agree the gum stealing scene is an instant classic, although if I had to choose I would have loved to see how Harold handled Sky-Diving.
Geoff-C- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 10:07 PM
Fan Forum Hero

i'd laugh if Harold actually went through with sky diving
{EphramAmy}
patricia

Last edited by break the window; 10-19-2011 at 10:59 PM
Old 10-19-2011, 11:08 AM
Extreme Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by everwoodfan52
I enjoyed the bickering season one....You always know with every couple that starts off that way...(remember Ephram/Madison in the beginning?)...they're going to end up falling in love.
<--Enough said.

Quote:
There are a couple of Harold/Andy scenes season 3 that I love. One was the time that Harold ran over to the Browns in his pajamas to gossip about Ephram and Amy's relationship. Just adorable.
The second season 3 scene was the time Andy came over Harold's house (while Harold was eating macorni and cheese and didn't even rinse his dishes!!)...and informed Harold that Ephram and Amy were thinking about having sex.
Those were some of the few good scenes of Andy/Harold in season 3; thanks for reminding me of those! Oh, and another one of the best Andy/Harold scenes in season 3 was their epic fight in the first episode of the season.

HAROLD: There's only so much wood a man can take!
ANDY: You can say that again!
HAROLD: What?! Are you saying I'm wooden?!

...HoYay all over the place.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoff-C-
And I agree the gum stealing scene is an instant classic, although if I had to choose I would have loved to see how Harold handled Sky-Diving.
I was really hoping we'd get to see that too. Would have been hilarious, I'm sure. ^_^ At least we got to see Harold pretending to sky-dive in front of his fan!
Old 10-19-2011, 11:00 PM
Fan Forum Hero

I'd love to see Harold and Edna both go sky diving
{EphramAmy}
patricia
Old 10-20-2011, 11:17 AM
Master Fan

Quote:
I do love seeing them share notes now in season 4, I can't imagine the hot shot surgeon or the country doctor tending his flock would have ever done that in season 1.
Seeing them actually help each other on a consistent basis without Harold resisting (remember "The Kissing Bride"? So funny how he kept rolling his eyes or trying to stop Andy from having to go to a school for a sex ed course!) is a lot of fun.

Speaking of great moments, I just had to steal Thief's gif for this thread:

Old 10-20-2011, 12:16 PM
Extreme Fan

And speaking of great pictures of the two...Where is this picture from?! It looks like it would have been in "Connect Four" but wasn't, and I never saw it in any other episode or deleted scene...Was it a behind-the-scenes thing we sadly never got to see?

Old 10-20-2011, 08:47 PM
Loyal Fan

Love both that gif and the outtake pic.

I can't believe we are 14 pots in and no one has brought up the "don't leave, we all love you" party that Harold desperately threw for Andy.
Geoff-C- is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply   Post New Thread