Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Reply   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Thread Tools
Old 07-08-2006, 08:08 AM
Fan Forum Legend

Moderator of ...
Everwood

Was Amy truly "in love" with Colin?

This topic was brought up on the OT Thread of all places (only on this board would that take place heh) so given that people seemed passionate enough about wanting to participate in the discussion, creating a separate thread for this topic seemed appropriate.

What does everyone think? Was Amy truly in love with Colin? I will hold off on my thoughts for right now and give them in a little bit. But I look forward to finding out what everyone thinks.
jediwands is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2006, 08:22 AM
Administrator

I think that Colin was nothing more than a childhood crush for Amy, and at Amy’s age at that time, the feelings of a childhood crush are very intense, and they could easily be confused for feelings of love. We also saw that Colin was on the verge of breaking up with Amy before his accident, so I tend to doubt that they would have survived as a couple even if the accident had never happened. I definitely believe that Amy thought she was in love with Colin, and once he was in that accident, she held on to the idea that she was in love with him, but once she met Ephram, for the first time in her life, she got to experience real love, and I think that scared her, because those feelings of love were mixed in with guilt because she felt a sense of loyalty and obligation to Colin when he was in his coma and when he came out of his coma, but we saw right from the beginning that she was falling in love with Ephram while clinging on to the idea that she was in love with Colin.

To be sure, Amy had strong feelings for Colin, and she was devastated when he died, but I don’t think she was really in love with Colin, and eventually, even if Colin had lived, Amy and Ephram would have ended up together.

I think a good comparison to Amy’s feelings for Colin is to compare Joey’s feelings for Dawson: Joey was in love with the dream of being in love with Dawson, but we saw that the reality never lived up to the dream, and in the end, Joey’s true love was Pacey, and Dawson just became someone that was tied to Joey’s childhood, and I think the same thing would have happened with Amy and Colin, because Amy’s true love was Ephram.

There are those who look at things the way they are and ask why - I dream of things that never were and ask why not. - Robert F. Kennedy
Jerry D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2006, 09:25 AM
Elite Fan

As I said on the OT thread, I think she was in love with her picture of Colin, not the reality. I think she felt obligated to wait for him at first. I'm sure she did have strong feelings for him since he seemed to be her first real boyfriend, but I think that as time passed she formed an idealized picture of their time together in her head, and that rosy memory fooled her into believing she was in love with him.

I think ample evidence for this can be found in her behavior immediately after he awoke. Her own fantasy dream sequence of how their first talk would go showed that she saw their relationship in an unrealistic light. Then, the harsh reality hit her, and she was soon looking for a reason to flee the relationship. If she had been as in love as she professed, it would have taken more than a couple disappointing talks to have her heading for the hills, and she definitely wouldn't have needed Ephram to push her back into things.

It's possible that I'm being too harsh in my opinions I guess. It would be incredibly difficult to have someone you care for suddenly wake up as basically a different person, which is pretty much what happened with Colin. It would be asking a lot of anyone, much less a high school teenager, to shoulder the enormous responsibility of trying to re-acclimate someone like that into their old life, but Amy did it eventually. But that really only strengthens my point. There were many scenes where it was pretty obvious that Amy was still looking at Colin through rose-colored glasses, even after he had pretty much returned to 'normal.' Her repeated failure to even acknowledge that anything was still wrong with Colin, and her intense anger towards anyone who dared to try and talk about it just goes to show that she was still living in a fantasy world.

Did Amy have strong feelings for Colin? Sure she did. That much is obvious. But I don't think they were in love.
Old 07-08-2006, 09:26 AM
Dedicated Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry D
I think a good comparison to Amy’s feelings for Colin is to compare Joey’s feelings for Dawson: Joey was in love with the dream of being in love with Dawson, but we saw that the reality never lived up to the dream, and in the end, Joey’s true love was Pacey, and Dawson just became someone that was tied to Joey’s childhood, and I think the same thing would have happened with Amy and Colin, because Amy’s true love was Ephram.
I completely agree with this. I think because Amy lost Colin, her head was obviously all over the place, and she believed that she couldn't really be herself without him. But if he had survived, I think they would have met new people anyway.
Shiny_happy people is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2006, 11:06 AM
Banned

I always thought Amy was obsessed with Colin. Colin thought they were just having fun and he didn't take their relationship that serisouly. Amy on the other hand thought their relationship was going to turn into a marriage and them having a babies.
Jacob1983 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2006, 02:02 PM
Extreme Fan

I do think at one point in her life Joey did truly love Dawson but I don't think Amy really was truly in love with Colin. I just never got that vibe really from her.
Old 07-08-2006, 02:57 PM
Master Fan

Wow, there are some AMAZING replies already happening on this thread! Great idea to start this thread, Michelle I'm not even sure I can post; my opinion on AMy/Colin are a mizture of all these posts
Old 07-08-2006, 05:22 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by COOLCAT200
I do think at one point in her life Joey did truly love Dawson but I don't think Amy really was truly in love with Colin. I just never got that vibe really from her.
True point Eric. I do think that after Dawson and Joey broke up in Season Two, she realized that she did love him, but they were together such a short time after they reunited that their romance was over before it had a chance to begin.

Amy definitely had a fantasy version of Colin in her head, but I don't think she was really in love with him.

There are those who look at things the way they are and ask why - I dream of things that never were and ask why not. - Robert F. Kennedy
Old 07-08-2006, 05:48 PM
Master Fan

I think that before Ephram came to Everwood, Colin was sort of Amy's 'safety net.' Like you guys have been saying, they were youing when they first got together. I don't think she loved him, but I think the idea of having someone was what she was really in love with.
Old 07-08-2006, 06:20 PM
Fan Forum Legend

Moderator of ...
Everwood

Excellent thoughts, everyone.

I never thought Amy was "in love" with Colin. Many teens think their first crush or boyfriend they have is true love. And they come to realize it's not real in the end. This is what I think went on with Amy. However, that is not to say that her time with Colin wasn't significant even if it was basically about a childhood crush. I do feel her relationship with Colin was necessary for her to be with Ephram and that it helped her mature. However, never, not even for one second, did I believe that Amy was in love with Colin. Not even close.

The entire point that Berlanti was making in season 1 is that Amy was "in love" with the idea of being "in love" and that's what she wanted with Colin. The perfect, popular boy to go with her perfect life, perfect family.

However, REALNESS hit her over the head whenever purple haired Ephram stepped into her life. She realized what she was starting to feel for Ephram was REAL. It messed with her mind because it changed "her perfect picture" of being with Colin, the golden boy... Ephram was her realness. Colin was not.

4.20 was significant. That EA bench scene cleared up so much through Amy's words. Amy talked about how she thought about Colin and her romance with him like she would think about big bird. She confirmed that it was connected to her childhood, it wasn't something that was real... It was fantasy.

The Series Finale completed the picture whenever she talked about how everything always came back to Ephram. Ephram was the guy she fell in love with. Colin was her childhood crush, her fantasy.

Jumping in on the Dawson/Joey topic because I always tend to do so. This is an interesting topic because I feel like it's not cut and dry. So I'll put my thoughts this way.. In seasons 1/2, Kevin wanted us to believe that Joey was in love with Dawson. Absolutely. However, once he jumped ship and Stupid came on board and "stole the show," that was when he began to tell a different story. I call it "Dawson's Creek Part II." I firmly believe that the story changed at this point. This was the point where they wanted us to believe that Joey might not really be "in love" with Dawson and that, yet, ultimately she found true love with Pacey. Now whether you bought that or accepted it given what we witnessed in seasons 1/2, that's a different story all together.

Last edited by jediwands; 07-08-2006 at 06:43 PM
Old 07-08-2006, 06:29 PM
Administrator

Great post, Michelle. I definitely felt that Joey was in love with Dawson in Seasons One and Two, but once Kevin Williamson left and Stupin and Co. took over, they changed the story of Dawson and Joey from being two soulmates who were destined to be together to two people who weren't meant to be together romantically, and they systemically destroyed everything that I loved about them as a couple or even as friends.

I'm glad that Greg Berlanti learned some lessons from Dawson's Creek, because throughout the entire run of the series, Amy and Ephram always remained friends and remained a part of each other's lives, even through the "rough times," and none of us ever doubted that they were in love with one another.

Old 07-08-2006, 09:36 PM
Extreme Fan

Sadly with the way the story was told from season 3 on I have to agree. As for Colin I do agree with Michelle it did seem like Amy was in love with the perfect image in her head that he fit. I have to be honest I did not really like him all that much. I did not want him to die or anything though.
Old 07-08-2006, 09:39 PM
Administrator

It's good to see you here, Eric! I also didn't really like Colin, but I didn't want him to die, and I was quite surprised when they killed off his character.

Old 07-09-2006, 04:42 AM
Dedicated Fan

Good thoughts about D/J. I've never considered that before - that when Kevin left the show, they weren't really seen as soulmates anymore. He also writes the finale, which is the best D/J episode in a long time, I think, and redefines them as 'meant to be', even if she does end up with Pacey.

The Colin/Amy relationship was doomed from the start, as weren't exactly supposed to want them together - the whole point was for us to like E/A.
Shiny_happy people is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2006, 10:06 AM
Fan Forum Legend

Moderator of ...
Everwood

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry D
I'm glad that Greg Berlanti learned some lessons from Dawson's Creek, because throughout the entire run of the series, Amy and Ephram always remained friends and remained a part of each other's lives, even through the "rough times," and none of us ever doubted that they were in love with one another.
Oh for sure. I truly believe that Berlanti learned so much for Dawson's Creek. He is quoted as admitting that Dawson/Joey should have ended up together. I was shocked he made such a statement given how chummy he is with Kevin. I think he honestly was out to prove that he could write a "soulmate" couple that would get the beautiful, priceless love story with the amazing, meant to be happy ending. He certainly did that with Ephram/Amy.

I'm with you guys, Eric and Jerry, I absolutely didn't like Colin. He bothered me tremendously and I feel like if he would have survived, CA would have been broken up faster than you could say "Amy didn't love Colin." CA were never meant to be, there was never any true love there. Berlanti poked holes in their relationship from day 1. Ephram showing up, Amy realizing what they were sharing was real, the knowledge that Colin was going to break up with Amy before the accident took place, the knowledge that Colin had before his 2nd surgery that EA were the real deal, and of course Amy's behavior.

Back to Colin realizing what was going on between EA. He absolutely knew what was happening between them. I think a key moment was whenever Colin went to see Andy at the Brown's right before his 2nd surgery, Ephram answered the door and Ephram/Colin had the quick exchange together. Colin was as good as telling Ephram it was okay, he understood what was going on between EA and essentially, he was giving them his blessing in so many words. That was such a powerful scene.
Reply   Post New Thread