Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Reply   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Tags Thread Tools
Old 08-21-2010, 08:53 PM
Master Fan

Do you think Bright could have done anything to help his parents help Amy more in S2? If so, what could he have done
“[People] talk to me about these characters as if they’re real, and they’re not real, but they’ve become real...I really think, shows like this one, you have an attachment to them. They’re like friends you check in on."
-Greg Berlanti on Everwood
'Tos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2010, 12:15 AM
Fan Forum Hero

I don't think so. IMO, it all was put on Harold for treating Amy just like any other patient. Which isn't wrong, but isn't so right either. Amy isn't like his other patients, she wasn't like some test book story that you give it time and things just happen on their own. She needed professional help...medication. And no one was going to convince Harold until he was ready to see the light on the other side.

But Bright never stood up to Harold (not from what I've seen). He always respected his thoughts especially when it came to medicine. He never got in the way of Harold and medicine, usually since it never concerned anyone he knew directly. So with that, I don't know if Bright would have
{EphramAmy}
patricia
break the window is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2010, 01:23 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Do you think Bright could have done anything to help his parents help Amy more in S2? If so, what could he have done

It wasn't made clear on the show if Bright realized how depressed Amy was and that for this reason..she acted the way that she did. I believe that Bright did not take Amy's state of mind into consideration....he was just pissed at her behavior...felt that she was acting like a spoiled brat....upsetting his and his parent's lives. Bright was more pissed at Amy than he was understanding of Amy...therefore...telling Amy off and/or ignoring her were his only options.
everwoodfan52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2010, 01:29 PM
New Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by everwoodfan52 (View Post)

It wasn't made clear on the show if Bright realized how depressed Amy was and that for this reason..she acted the way that she did. I believe that Bright did not take Amy's state of mind into consideration....he was just pissed at her behavior...felt that she was acting like a spoiled brat....upsetting his and his parent's lives. Bright was more pissed at Amy than he was understanding of Amy...therefore...telling Amy off and/or ignoring her were his only options.
The way I saw it, the show always projected Amy as the favourite golden child of the Abbots and Bright was always playing catch up for their affections, especially his Dads. It probably pissed him off more that Amy was getting even more attention after all the crap she had pulled.

Personally, me and my siblings have always been treated equally so I'd probably more sympathetic if any of them had gone through what Amy did, but I can easily see where Bright came from.
everjon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2010, 08:32 PM
Master Fan

I can see Bright's anger too. It's just unfortunate he let that get in the way of seeing that his sister was in real pain and really did need help. I agree with Patricia that he idolizes his father, though, so there's no way he would say anything. Even if he did, would Harold have listened and acted earlier? He wasn't listening to anyone.

I would kind of like to see Rose and Bright talking about it all, I have to say. I always liked how honest they were with each other. I think they would have come to an understanding earlier than Harold and Rose did.
“[People] talk to me about these characters as if they’re real, and they’re not real, but they’ve become real...I really think, shows like this one, you have an attachment to them. They’re like friends you check in on."
Old 08-24-2010, 12:36 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Harold wouldn't listen to anyone. He was certain that Amy was just another girl who had a relationship and it went sour...kind of a cheap way to explain it. But how is someone supossed to say how they feel to another when all the other person does is pass judgements and never take them seriously. Amy's thing was that no one took her seriously. Harold treated her like a child. Rose just stood behind Harold until she couldn't take it anymore. Bright idolized Harold so much and was so sick of Amy getting all the attentoin that he took himself out of the equation all together. There was nothing for him to say.
{EphramAmy}
patricia
Old 08-24-2010, 08:41 PM
Master Fan

I agree that Harold and Bright didn't take Amy as seriously as they should have in S2. And Rose too. But I do think Rose got more than anyone else that something was seriously wrong with her daughter. I think she took it seriously at first, just didn't know how to help, you know? And then grew more and more frustrated. But I think there are some scenes in early S2 where she's trying to get Amy to open up or punch something or do something and she gets that Amy's reaction is beyond just a normal break up or a death and that she's seriously affected.
Old 08-24-2010, 10:39 PM
Fan Forum Hero

I think near the end, Rose got more and more frustrated with Harold not considering that Amy was really hurting and needed professional help. Harold completely forgot to be a parent and was just a doctor. Seriously, he should have let another doctor step in and take care of things.
{EphramAmy}
patricia
Old 11-22-2011, 07:54 AM
Fan Forum Hero

I love these two. Add me. When Bright stood in for Amy at the homecoming.
Old 11-22-2011, 10:20 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by loganandroryforever (View Post)
I love these two. Add me. When Bright stood in for Amy at the homecoming.
That was definitely a beautiful scene.

You are officially added, Rachel!
everwoodfan52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 04:03 PM
Master Fan

Oh, yes! I was so proud of Bright in that scene. He's a good brother. I wish we saw more of that part of him!
Old 11-23-2011, 07:40 AM
Fan Forum Hero

also when Bright and Amy were talking about Colin lashing out.
Old 03-05-2012, 02:15 AM
Master Fan

Come to think I started liking Bright mostly because of his relationship with Amy. The first moment that I liked was when Bright asked Ephram to go to a party because of Amy. At that point it was clear that he doesn't like Ephram at all, but he was willing to talk to him because of his sister. He tried to help her, although he knew that Ephram liked his sister - who was at that time the girlfriend of his best friend.

The second time was the Homecoming scene - the whole scene. The way he asked Ephram to find Colin, the way stood back by his sister. That was the first time that I actually liked Bright and was willing to accept that he is more than a bully. In the pilot I thought that Bright is a moron . But then they show him as much more complex guy - he wasn't the typical bully, popular jock guy. Although he was kind of slow, he was loyal to his friends and family.

As for Amy's depression in Season 2 - I don't blame the girl that she was depressed. That was her way to deal with Colin's death. But she alienated herself from everybody else. She pretty much told the half of them to leave her alone and the other half she just avoided. So I wasn't annoyed by her depression. I've had depression, I know what it means. She however blamed everybody else for not paying attention to her, when in reality she was the one that drive them away. That was my problem with Season 2 Amy.

As for Harold he acted wrong. He was in denial phase and that's really hard. I've really been there, when my parents didn't want to believe that I need treatment, anti depressants and everything. They did what he did - put the blame on the puberty and teen years, instead of actual clinical depression. And while thinking that your kid is just fine might sound cool, the more you wait, the worse your kid will be. Unfortunately Amy wasn't in the age, when she could decide for herself. I was and I did what I had to do and I don't regret about it. Amy needed therapy and her parents were too blind to realize that. My parents truly regretted that they wait for me to be old enough to make the decision. And unfortunately they learned it the hard way. I guess sometimes we need some shock to make us realize our mistakes.
Old 03-07-2012, 11:05 PM
Master Fan

I love those two first Bright/Amy moments you mentioned, Koni. They're adorable moments and they really show Bright's protective and sweet side, and it was the first chance we got to see of his family side too, which I think he really grew into.

I like their funnier, more combative moments too, though. How they would squabble and banter, but in a loving way. Very real and always very funny.
Old 01-27-2018, 11:07 AM
Fan Forum Legend

Moderator of ...
The Witcher

add me please