Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Reply   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Tags Thread Tools
Old 08-15-2010, 10:22 AM
Addicted Fan

There was a time that I would be watching Everwood with my mother and my very unhappy brother while we had lunch (they aired Everwood at horrible times here) and when the "I will smother you with my bare ass cheeks"-scene came along, we basically all dropped off our chairs laughing. (Even though I obviously already knew it was coming.) That's a great scene.
Abomasum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2010, 08:14 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Another scene of theirs that I really loved was this scene at the school...

Quote:
BRIGHT: I thought you had dance class.

AMY: I'm not going.

[Amy tries to walk around Bright and he blocks her.]

AMY: Bright, I'm tired and I just want to go home, OK?

BRIGHT: No, you don't. You want to go to class but you're scared.

AMY: I'm not scared.

[Bright gives her a look of "sure".]

BRIGHT: Look, it's your life. You get to decide what to do with it, not them.

AMY: I can't go in there.

[Amy leans against the lockers.]

BRIGHT: Yeah, you can. Come on. You're the best dancer in the school. You shouldn't just give up what you love because some ass hats made you feel bad. Screw them. They'll come around.

AMY: How do you know, you haven't? You were there the other night, you saw what they did, you didn't do anything about it.

BRIGHT: That's because I was still mad. If you want to know the truth, I'm still a little pissed off. You seriously messed up my senior year which only happens once or � or like twice.

AMY: If you're so mad, then why do you even care?

[Bright leans against the lockers beside his sister.]

BRIGHT: Because... it was messed up what Page did to you, you know. I don't like seeing you being treated that way, you know. I mean, I can treat you like that, but if everyone starts doing that then what's the fun in that. They'll get over it, Amy. You just got to stay in their face about it. You got to be you.

[Bright shoves her.]

BRIGHT: (CONT'D) Go. Be yourself. Annoying, self-righteous, pain in the ass. You.

AMY: Keep talking, brother, keep talking.

[Amy walks into class as Bright watches her go in. They give each other a smile.]
everwoodfan52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2010, 08:47 PM
Master Fan

He's a great brother, isn't he? Fantastic scene, Betty. Bright S2 is so much and that scene is just one of many reasons. You think we would have heard that speech in S1? No way. He grew up so much, and quite a lot of it had to do with him looking out for his sister.
“[People] talk to me about these characters as if they’re real, and they’re not real, but they’ve become real...I really think, shows like this one, you have an attachment to them. They’re like friends you check in on."
-Greg Berlanti on Everwood
'Tos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2010, 05:24 AM
Addicted Fan

I found him not so great when he completely ignored Amy for most of season two. Hated how they treated her in season two. I mean, it's a beautiful story, I love it, it had to be that way, but it wasn't good or right to treat poor Amy that way.

But I love that scene you posted, Betty!
Old 08-16-2010, 07:38 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abomasum (View Post)
I found him not so great when he completely ignored Amy for most of season two. Hated how they treated her in season two. I mean, it's a beautiful story, I love it, it had to be that way, but it wasn't good or right to treat poor Amy that way.
Sorry, but I hate to disagree with you, Leo. I believe that the way that Bright treated Amy was completely understandable. I love Amy as well...but she was a real "Pill" this season. Bright's family was turned upside down. Their entire focus was on Amy...who was being unreasonable to a large extent...she didn't want to compromise or bend at all. Harold and Rose were arguing a lot...I'm sure that this was very difficult for Bright to witness. Bright was never the center of attention in this family...but this year it was so much worse for him. Add to that the fact that he had to witness creepy Tommy and listen to his opinions about Amy's family. I really wish that Bright creamed him at that wrestling match.

Quote:
But I love that scene you posted, Betty
Thanks, Leo.

Last edited by everwoodfan52; 08-16-2010 at 11:11 AM
Old 08-16-2010, 10:24 AM
Loyal Fan

I agree with you on Bright not being unfair in this season, I think he shows that he cares. why else would he let Tommy beat him up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by everwoodfan52 (View Post)
Add to that the fact that he had to witness creepy Tommy and listen to his opinions about Amy's family. I really wish that Bright creamed him at that wrestling match.
I wished he did to, if I remember right I dont think Bright won any fight he was in, which always bugged me. I wished he had beaten both Tommy and Colin in the fights against them. It seemed to me that Ephram almost was better at fighting, at least when he was protecting Amy at the Mine
You can't take the sky from me
Rolfi Cole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2010, 11:10 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rolfi Cole (View Post)
It seemed to me that Ephram almost was better at fighting, at least when he was protecting Amy at the Mine
It seemed to me that Ephram totally shocked those guys at the mine. They didn't know what to make of him or how to deal with him. They had never encountered the Coma Police before!
Old 08-16-2010, 01:29 PM
Addicted Fan

Quote:
Sorry, but I hate to disagree with you, Leo. I believe that the way that Bright treated Amy was completely understandable. I love Amy as well...but she was a real "Pill" this season. Bright's family was turned upside down. Their entire focus was on Amy...who was being unreasonable to a large extent...she didn't want to compromise or bend at all. Harold and Rose were arguing a lot...I'm sure that this was very difficult for Bright to witness. Bright was never the center of attention in this family...but this year it was so much worse for him. Add to that the fact that he had to witness creepy Tommy and listen to his opinions about Amy's family. I really wish that Bright creamed him at that wrestling match.
If you put it that way, I understand Bright's reaction. You're right, it was very hard on him. I understand, but I still don't agree with it. No matter what a brat Amy was being, she was falling apart and if my brother was falling apart I'd try to save him in any way I could. She was shattering into pieces and couldn't help or control her behavior anymore and not even her parents stood by her. She was desperate and depressed and helpless and not one single person in the whole world truly understood. No, when she tried to start her life again, tried to get over Colin and love again, connected with the one person that seemed to understand, her parents forbid it, because of rumors! She was critisized and critisized by her parents, a fifteen year old girl, who had just lost everything, her whole plan, her future, her partner, she didn't even know who she was anymore and her parents left her alone with it. I hate to disagree with you, too, but I just don't think that it was right the way Amy's family treated her when she had depressions, which is a serious disease, which means you can't help yourself anymore and you can't help the way you feel and you can't get out of it quickly, where little is your own decision anymore. And Harold, he of all people, should have known that. And he should never have expected her to magically cure herself within a few weeks, without any support and without medication.

I also don't agree with forbidding her to see Tommy, though, which may have a lot do with my opinion on all this. Because I thought it was right for her to not just accept that. Because at the point Harold did this to Amy, he had heard a rumor from Bright, nothing more. Tommy behaved perfectly well at the point and I find it quite unfair to talk into a young relationship like that because of a rumor Bright heard in high school. And in front of her entire family, instead of talking to her about it first... instead of explaining one single thought...
Old 08-16-2010, 02:06 PM
Addicted Fan

I agree with your entire post, Leo. Just wanted to let you know that.
Old 08-16-2010, 02:17 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Quote:
I also don't agree with forbidding her to see Tommy, though, which may have a lot do with my opinion on all this. Because I thought it was right for her to not just accept that. Because at the point Harold did this to Amy, he had heard a rumor from Bright, nothing more. Tommy behaved perfectly well at the point and I find it quite unfair to talk into a young relationship like that because of a rumor Bright heard in high school. And in front of her entire family, instead of talking to her about it first... instead of explaining one single thought...

I agree that the way that Harold handled the situation at the dinner table was ridiculous/humiliating/wrong. I do, however, totally agree with Harold's feelings on the matter. Yes, Amy was very depressed. That's when a person is the most vulnerable and is more likely to turn to things that will make him/her feel better....alcohol, drugs, etc. If I heard any kind of rumor (especially from my son whom I would trust) that a guy my daughter was dating was a druggie/and or/ dealer....I wouldn't wait to hear if it were true. I would do everything in my power to keep my daughter away from this guy. That's how I would feel and react. That doesn't mean that I am right.
Old 08-16-2010, 02:53 PM
Addicted Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taryn
I agree with your entire post, Leo. Just wanted to let you know that.
Thank you, Taryn.

Quote:
I agree that the way that Harold handled the situation at the dinner table was ridiculous/humiliating/wrong. I do, however, totally agree with Harold's feelings on the matter. Yes, Amy was very depressed. That's when a person is the most vulnerable and is more likely to turn to things that will make him/her feel better....alcohol, drugs, etc. If I heard any kind of rumor (especially from my son whom I would trust) that a guy my daughter was dating was a druggie/and or/ dealer....I wouldn't wait to hear if it were true. I would do everything in my power to keep my daughter away from this guy. That's how I would feel and react. That doesn't mean that I am right.
That's completely understandable, Betty. It's nothing but right to want to save your child.

I'm not critisizing those feelings, your feelings, at all, Betty, I want you to know that. I understand and agree with these feelings completely.
I'm only critisizing Harold and Rose's handling of the situation, because they let her slip out of their hands (they almost threw her out of their hands) a long time before Tommy came along and then rudely grabbed in and tried to rip her back, they tried to save her from a big mistake with thousands of rules, but they never truly tried to understand or to help her. They expected her to repair herself, they let her drown and when she was almost at the ground they scolded and punished her for it... and I found that horrible...
Old 08-16-2010, 04:51 PM
Loyal Fan

Quote:
I think Harold had build up in his head that Amy always was going to be his little innoncent sweet girl, so when she showed that it was not the case it all became a shock to him that he didnt know how to handle. And yeah as you said Betty, if I would have heard a rumour about something like that I would most likely do exactly the same as Harold. It may not have been right at that time because I believe in giving any person a chance, but because of Amys depression I wouldnt see any good coming out of it, especially with the temptations that would come in such a time. Its easy to fall in the drinking and drug use when your as vulnerable as Amy was at that point. This was also showed later in the show, when Amy had a little bit GHB. But of course your right Betty, because you would do anything you could to protect your childrens same would I if I had someone. Its in the nature of being a parent, family comes first. I dont blame Harold for what he did, because in his mind he was only protecting someone who he loved. Just as I dont blame Bright for cutting Amy off, in reality it was Amy who decided to cut him off. Did you see Amy coming to Bright after he had his fight with Tommy. If I was in a likewise situation I would never went with Tommy after that, just because Bright would have been my family and Tommy would just be a guy I had just started dating. I think the worst thing that Harold and Rose did in parenting was how they didnt co-operate. They had like different sides, it was always Harold and Amy vs Rose and Bright. If they would have worked more as a team then I think many things could have been different.

I just dont think anybody can be prepared on how to work with somebody who have lost somebody they really cared much about. Just look at Andy and Ephram after Julias death. Andy was never prepared for such an task, raising a couple of kids up. This also is very good portrayed by all the wrong things he does with Ephram through the show, but even if they were wrong he still did it out of love. Just like Harold tried to protect Amy from a guy like Tommy, because he loved her and he didnt want to see an ex junkie ruin her. How does anybody expect Bright to act any different then he did, because of Amy he had to watch his family almost torn apart. Amy had a really bad season in the second season of this show, but despite all the depression and wrong decission she became such an more mature person because of it. Thats why I feel it was essential that they used such a long time on it in that season.
You can't take the sky from me
Rolfi Cole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2010, 07:28 PM
Master Fan

I think why I sympathize with how Bright treated Amy in S2 is he was in an impossible situation. He didn't know how to help his sister anymore than his parents did. Amy's 15 at that point. Bright's only 17 (16?) at that point. And he knows his father and mother are amazing parents, so I think he saw how frustrated they were and how hopeless they were and he didn't know how to handle it any better. Everyone failed Amy. Including Amy.
“[People] talk to me about these characters as if they’re real, and they’re not real, but they’ve become real...I really think, shows like this one, you have an attachment to them. They’re like friends you check in on."
Old 08-16-2010, 08:30 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Quote:
I'm only critisizing Harold and Rose's handling of the situation, because they let her slip out of their hands (they almost threw her out of their hands) a long time before Tommy came along and then rudely grabbed in and tried to rip her back, they tried to save her from a big mistake with thousands of rules, but they never truly tried to understand or to help her.
I agree with this, Leo. I was very upset with Harold for totally dismissing the use of medication for Amy. She was pleading for it. She even said that she didn't care if she lived or died. I can't understand how Harold could see Amy in such pain and not listen to what she was saying.

Quote:
Just as I dont blame Bright for cutting Amy off, in reality it was Amy who decided to cut him off. Did you see Amy coming to Bright after he had his fight with Tommy. If I was in a likewise situation I would never went with Tommy after that, just because Bright would have been my family and Tommy would just be a guy I had just started dating. I think the worst thing that Harold and Rose did in parenting was how they didnt co-operate. They had like different sides, it was always Harold and Amy vs Rose and Bright. If they would have worked more as a team then I think many things could have been different.

Yes, it was Amy who rejected Bright after the fight. She just looked at Bright...but went off with Tommy. She made her decision....chose Tommy over her family. She definitely wasn't thinking straight.
Yes, Harold and Rose were on different wavelengths here pertaining to Amy's situation. Harold was more in denial about how serious Amy's depression was. Rose, on the other hand, realized how bad off Amy was...but didn't really have as much of a say about her treatment. Rose did not back down at Edna's house during the meeting with Amy and the Priest. I'm glad that Harold at least backed up Rose at this time.
Old 08-16-2010, 09:34 PM
Master Fan

I'm still of the opinion that no matter what Harold and Rose did, Amy was going to have to hit rock bottom to really get better. I think they could have worked as a team more and Harold could have given Amy the medication quicker and she may have been a little less...out of it? But I think she had to really crash to get back to reality again. I think she needed to see Colin and see his kind of sadness of what she had become to wake up. But, yeah, Harold and Rose could have really done more together. They didn't help matters, but I'm also not sure things would have been much better if they had. Sadly.
Reply   Post New Thread