Old 01-30-2021, 10:45 PM
Fan Forum Legend

Moderator of ...
Everwood

2021-2023 Everwood Rewatch: Episode 1.04 - The Kissing Bridge

Rewatch Overview

The Kissing Bridge

SUMMARY

There is an epidemic STD in Everwood High School. Both doctors team up to provide accurate education for the students. Ephram and Amy go to Denver so she can "invite" Colin to the fall ball. On the way to pick up their kids, the doctors exchange some tips on how to handle teenagers. Delia makes some progress with the boy she has a crush on.

SEASON

EPISODE

AIR DATE
October 7, 2002

WRITER
Rina Mimoun

DIRECTOR
Michael Schultz

Last edited by jediwands; 01-13-2023 at 09:49 PM
jediwands is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2021, 12:52 AM
Fan Forum Legend

Moderator of ...
Everwood

Almost 2 AM. Just watched. Thoughts later in the morning after I get some sleep... if I get some sleep. LOL.
Old 01-31-2021, 06:59 AM
Fan Forum Legend

Moderator of ...
Everwood

- Ah, the bridge... a character in this episode that takes over so strongly.

- Bright, you suck for putting that on Ephram's locker. Ephram looked so happy thinking it was from Amy. Bright still bullying Ephram is despicable.

- Edna is so awesome with her one liners. She always is but there's so many of them in this one. LOL.

- Andy/Harold banter = priceless.

- Amy was in an impossible situation when Ephram found out Bright gave that to him. She tried so hard to make Ephram feel better. She mentions Colin and Ephram goes ape as well. See, this is where it's tough because Ephram calls a boy in a coma "her stupid boyfriend" and that's not so nice either even if Amy has to know Ephram carries feelings for her as well. All around, tough.

- Delia upset over her hat is so awesome. I love her.

- I love how Rose is going along with Andy regarding the assembly while Harold is frustrated. This scene is so great. LOL.

- Most powerful scene in the episode: The hallway when Ephram is walking by Amy and Amy practically does a 360 looking at him as Ephram looks upset and glances a bit at her... the entire shot is so powerful and chilling... shooting it in a slow motion type of deal is outstanding. Amy is with her friends and couldn't care less, all she's focused on is Ephram. Outstanding scene, I love it as it shows the deep level of caring they both have for each other. Greg and Emily are masters at the nonverbal communication. Boy, was it scorching in this scene! Anyone questioning what Amy feels for Ephram should look no further than this scene to view reality.

- Magilla storyline I view very differently this time around. In the past, all I focused in on was Delia being treated improperly. But this time, I do see Magilla's side of it. Of course! It has to be so tough on Magilla. Not his fault what biology dictates and controls his behavior. Magilla's bullying of Delia previously is way more justified over Bright's bullying of Ephram, that is for sure. Here we go with Everwood, once again, being so unique and refreshing. What an interesting storyline and one that tackles a tough topic.

- Edna fixing an automobile is as good as it gets. I remember first seeing this scene during my first watch of the series just eating it up. How often do you see an older woman on the screen riding and fixing bikes? I love her. What a real woman character.

- Edna and Irv fighting is so real. You can see how much they care about each other while still maintaining their own identity within the relationship.

- I love Amy calling Bright a "jackass" at the dinner table. I love her sticking up for Ephram, too. You rock, Amy.

- I love Harold with the napkin tugged into his clothing.

- Harold choking on his food after Amy mentions VD and the fact that Bright dated the girl in question is hilarious.

- Abbott family meals = The acting is superb. The entire exchange between them represents the Golden Abbott Family Meals we love and cherish.

- Ephram upset with Andy at the dinner table had everything to do with Ephram upset over Amy. Poor Andy. He really does get mistreated at times by Ephram even if Ephram is the frustrated teen upset over multiple things.

- I love how Edna confided in Andy about her late husband.

- I love the difference in preparation between Harold and Andy before their speeches to the kids in high school. LOL.

- Amy talking to Colin is heartbreaking. Emily, you make me feel so much for Amy! Your brilliance is endless. It has to be so hard on Amy, seeing him in the coma, lifeless. She is just a teenager and doesn't know how to handle the situation properly. She is dealing with regular teen feelings along with the reality that the boy she thought she would be with long term is lifeless in a coma right now. Not to mention, the growing feelings she has for Ephram. It's all just too much for her to handle. You see the little moments that lead up to her situational depression so very early on.

- The Ephram/Amy cafe scene is PHENOMENAL. I love how easy they talk to each other. I love how fast Amy eats. LOL. The chemistry between Greg/Emily is scorching like a persistent, blazing fire. I just love this scene so much... look at how easy they open up to each other... Ephram tells Amy about the dance... his Gwen Stefani. I imagine he ONLY talked to Julia about this before Amy. It shows how intense and strong the Ephram/Amy connection is that he can easily open up to her like that. He's even talking about his mom to Amy. I love it so much as it shows how connected they are. For Ephram to be able to open up like that says it all.

And yes, Ephram/Amy are so lost in each other, they forget time even exists. These two Soulmates are so destined to be together.

- The contrast between Harold/Amy and Andy/Ephram is very startling.

- Beautiful talk between Edna and Irv.

- Harold/Bright and the scratched bumper conversation was hilarious. LOL.

- Andy being a father after taking Harold's advice was awesome. I love how Ephram accepted the punishment. I love this scene. Ephram gets it. I think it was a combination of understanding how poorly he treated Andy at the beginning of the episode all due to frustration over Amy, and then he was impressed with Andy being a father, giving out a punishment which was deserved. This is a scene that reminds me of how very much I wanted Andy to put down the law over Madison. He should have stayed consistent and taken Harold's advice then like he did in this episode. He needed to be strict and tell Ephram there was no way he was dating the adult babysitter, period. Maybe Ephram would have fought it a little more but at the end of the day, it was Andy's right to tell him it wasn't happening and throwing in the legal reasons would have been a nice touch.

- Edna to Harold: I swear, you yammer on like an old woman. I also love how Harold joked if he didn't know better, he would think Edna was taking him to a remote location in order to take him out. Then Edna blows the bridge up.

I love how Edna brought Harold to The Kissing Bridge. I think Irv’s words about how much Harold means to her hit a soft spot in her heart. She knew Irv was right which is why she included Junior in The Kissing Bridge adventure. She needed to remind her son that she loved his father very much. What an unexpected, perfect ending to a great episode.

Last edited by jediwands; 01-31-2021 at 07:16 AM
Old 01-31-2021, 08:09 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Some thoughts on the episode...

• Small towns have such sweet traditions. Love Irv's narration regarding this...
  • Boy...that cyclist sure was lucky!
  • Suzie is obnious and so is her mom! How can the mom be so sure Suzie is not having sex"? So delusional.
  • Suzie, you just lost your right to that lolipop!
  • Wendell is a wealth of information! Listen up, Ephram! At least he's trying to help you.
  • Poor Ephram...that locker made him so happy. He is so trusting.
  • Love the funny dialoge all around: Edna: "That mouth of yours is a safety hazzard and no one's torn you down!"
  • Harold can be so unreasonable and close minded. Just listen to new ideas!
  • Louise....Horray!! Don't let Chauvanist Harold boss you around. Let him make his own coffee!
  • Bright is such a creep this season. Poor Amy is torn. Does she stay loyal to her snobby friends and her brother or does she fulfill her longing for this new wierd awesome new student whom she can't stop thinking about?
  • This is Delia's adorable season: "I need a Pop Tart!"
  • Edna can often be so nasty to Irv. Sorry..I get the significance of the bridge in her life, but she has no right to be that nasty. And...I thought she wasn't the grieving type. Be nice, Edna! Irv is a good guy and this behavior is a turn off.
  • Yum...the Abbott dinner table!
  • At this point Andy will not be able to do anything that won't piss off Ephram.
  • The Ephram/Amy exchange regarding Colin is just beautiful. Ephram can relate to Amy's situation so well and he really does care about her well being to the point of throwing her toward Colin.
  • I'm sorry. I really wish Magilla would go away.
  • What a contrast in doctors Harold and Andy are: Visual aides/Condoms.
  • I can't get over how young Amy looks!
  • I had never noticed that Delia sometimes thought of Magilla in a romantic sense.
  • I wish Harold would stop calling Ephram a Hoodlum. So rude!
  • Ephram wasn't a geek after all! Catherine Adams said, "Yes!"
  • You've got to love the parenting advice Harold gives Andy. Ironically Andy ends up taking this advice, but Harold does not.
  • I don't blame Irv for avoiding Edna. She can be such a bitch!
  • An Apology from Epharm! Will wonders never cease!
  • Great talk with Ephram, Andy. Too bad you didn't stress Condoms a little more with him! Ephram really took his punnishment like a man!! Good for you, Ephram!
  • Again...Nice episode ending for Andy and Ephram.

Last edited by everwoodfan52; 01-31-2021 at 09:36 AM
everwoodfan52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2021, 08:38 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Quote:
- Amy talking to Colin is heartbreaking. Emily, you make me feel so much for Amy! Your brilliance is endless. It has to be so hard on Amy, seeing him in the coma, lifeless. She is just a teenager and doesn't know how to handle the situation properly. She is dealing with regular teen feelings along with the reality that the boy she thought she would be with long term is lifeless in a coma right now. Not to mention, the growing feelings she has for Ephram. It's all just too much for her to handle. You see the little moments that lead up to her situational depression so very early on.
Colin was so lucky to have her. Too bad he didn't feel the same and was ready to break up with her. Ephram is so selfless here...must be so heartbreaking to hear Amy talk like this, but Ephram's knew this was good for Amy and what she needed to do.

Quote:
- Most powerful scene in the episode: The hallway when Ephram is walking by Amy and Amy practically does a 360 looking at him as Ephram looks upset and glances a bit at her... the entire shot is so powerful and chilling... shooting it in a slow motion type of deal is outstanding. Amy is with her friends and couldn't care less, all she's focused on is Ephram. Outstanding scene, I love it as it shows the deep level of caring they both have for each other. Greg and Emily are masters at the nonverbal communication. Boy, was it scorching in this scene! Anyone questioning what Amy feels for Ephram should look no further than this scene to view reality.
You can feel the tug of war that is occurring inside of Amy. She is hooked..and doesn't know what to do. She has her comatose boyfriend...her family....her snobby friends on one side and Ephram (who seems to be negating all of those other factors) on the other side. What can she do???
Old 01-31-2021, 11:47 AM
Fan Forum Legend

Moderator of ...
Everwood

Quote:
Originally Posted by everwoodfan52 (View Post)
Some thoughts on the episode...Small towns have such sweet traditions. Love Irv's narration regarding this...
Especially since he’s talking about his current wife and her late husband.

Irv’s narrations are the best. One of many reasons why Everwood is so unique.

Quote:
Boy...that cyclist sure was lucky!
Right. LOL. I love the story Andy told him which made him feel better.

Quote:
Suzie is obnious and so is her mom! How can the mom be so sure Suzie is not having sex"? So delusional.
Suzie, you just lost your right to that lolipop!
Also, how did Susie not put together the type of sex she went with and the STD affecting her throat? Duh.

I guess it makes sense because the point was the town was so conservative the parents or most of the parents never really discussed these things with their children.

Quote:
Wendell is a wealth of information! Listen up, Ephram! At least he's trying to help you.
Ephram hates him less in this episode but he still annoys him. LOL.

Quote:
Poor Ephram...that locker made him so happy. He is so trusting.
Bright sucks.

Quote:
Love the funny dialoge all around: Edna: "That mouth of yours is a safety hazzard and no one's torn you down!"
She had some great one liners in this episode.

Quote:
Harold can be so unreasonable and close minded. Just listen to new ideas!
Rose is totally opposite which is interesting.

Quote:
Louise....Horray!! Don't let Chauvanist Harold boss you around. Let him make his own coffee!
I love her. LOL.

Quote:
Bright is such a creep this season. Poor Amy is torn. Does she stay loyal to her snobby friends and her brother or does she fulfill her longing for this new wierd awesome new student whom she can't stop thinking about?
Bright reminds me of a villain cartoon character at times in S1. Amy definitely is drawn to Ephram.

Quote:
This is Delia's adorable season: "I need a Pop Tart!"
Loved it. I also loved how she made fun of Andy for being slow about how her hat got crushed in the dryer.

I continue to be amazed over how Greg Berlanti found Vivien Cardone. She’s a brilliant actress at such a young age.

Quote:
Edna can often be so nasty to Irv. Sorry..I get the significance of the bridge in her life, but she has no right to be that nasty. And...I thought she wasn't the grieving type. Be nice, Edna! Irv is a good guy and this behavior is a turn off.
Ironically, her blunt ways was probably something Irv found attractive but totally agree she was definitely a bit too harsh in this one. I think that was the point... to show how she simply could not process emotions perfectly... which is why she brought Harold to the actual bridge. Intellectually explaining and showing Harold was a better way for Edna to convey how she was feeling.

Quote:
Yum...the Abbott dinner table!
Right! Instead of tucking in a napkin, Harold should have put on some casual clothes to dig in without worrying about spilling. Then again, it’s Harold. Not happening.

Quote:
At this point Andy will not be able to do anything that won't piss off Ephram.
Very true.

Quote:
The Ephram/Amy exchange regarding Colin is just beautiful. Ephram can relate to Amy's situation so well and he really does care about her well being to the point of throwing her toward Colin.
I love how Greg has Ephram simply looking at Amy... the nonverbal shows so much.

Quote:
I'm sorry. I really wish Magilla would go away.
Awe. Like I mentioned in my write up, I sort of felt this way originally when I watched the series but now I feel for him so much. Biology is causing that behavior and his parents are idiots as we see later on. But I know what you mean overall. Seeing it from Delia’s perspective is hard because she’s so confused and hurt.

Quote:
What a contrast in doctors Harold and Andy are: Visual aides/Condoms.

Andy’s Democratic approach is the way to go (education/being prepared). Just saying.

I love how they all reacted to the visual pictures.

Quote:
I can't get over how young Amy looks!
She does! Emily looks so pretty in this episode too.

Quote:
I had never noticed that Delia sometimes thought of Magilla in a romantic sense.
THIS is a question I have!

I’ll bold it so it sticks out...

Did anyone find the line about Delia wanting to touch Magilla strange? I am sure it was to blend in with the STD storyline which is why Andy freaked out. But at the same time, like you said, Delia never seemed as if she had a crush on Magilla, and it also seemed a bit strange in general being so young and admitting she wanted to touch his shoulders.

What does everyone think about this?

Quote:
I wish Harold would stop calling Ephram a Hoodlum. So rude!
Hate this too. I think he can’t get past the purple hair. Or who his father is along with being from NYC. He does soon though. Next episode actually. He sees Ephram in a different light which connects to Amy. He finally sees how much Ephram cares for Amy.

Quote:
Ephram wasn't a geek after all! Catherine Adams said, "Yes!"
What I love about this is even if Amy was animated while saying this she already liked him, geek or not.

Quote:
You've got to love the parenting advice Harold gives Andy. Ironically Andy ends up taking this advice, but Harold does not.
LOL! So true.

Yes, Harold gave Andy fabulous advice here.

Quote:
I don't blame Irv for avoiding Edna. She can be such a bitch!
Plus, he knew it’s what she needed. Time and space.

Quote:
Apology from Epharm! Will wonders never cease!
Haha, it was great.

Quote:
Great talk with Ephram, Andy. Too bad you didn't stress Condoms a little more with him! Ephram really took his punnishment like a man!! Good for you, Ephram!
Again...Nice episode ending for Andy and Ephram.
Very true.

Terrific Father and Son scene.

Last edited by jediwands; 02-01-2021 at 10:41 AM
Old 01-31-2021, 11:54 AM
Fan Forum Legend

Moderator of ...
Everwood

Quote:
Colin was so lucky to have her. Too bad he didn't feel the same and was ready to break up with her. Ephram is so selfless here...must be so heartbreaking to hear Amy talk like this, but Ephram's knew this was good for Amy and what she needed to do.
I sound like a broken record but I wish Laynie would have told Amy even WHILE Colin was in a coma he planned on breaking up with her before the accident. Imagine how much pain and suffering it would have prevented? Sure, Amy would have been devastated. But then again, we saw in the flashback episode she was annoyed because they weren’t getting along. I think if she would have intellectually thought about everything, it would have made sense. While he was in the coma she could have sorted out the pain and confusion. When he temporarily survived, she could’ve been his friend, nothing more. After he passed away, it’s possible she never would have suffered severe depression because she would’ve dealt with all of this before he woke up. She’d also see it from a childhood friend perspective, not a fairytale romantic ending that was never happening and Laynie could have provided her this knowledge. She went through hell and back in S2 and we saw she even makes a comment about it in the S3 episode when she’s considering colleges. She had a right to know this. I don’t even think it was Ephram’s place to tell her. He shouldn’t have had that burden. It was Laynie’s or even Bright’s responsibility to tell her. Bright probably knew too. It’s crazy she never found out and it will always bother me Berlanti only chose to tell Ephram and audience about it.

Quote:
You can feel the tug of war that is occurring inside of Amy. She is hooked..and doesn't know what to do. She has her comatose boyfriend...her family....her snobby friends on one side and Ephram (who seems to be negating all of those other factors) on the other side. What can she do???
100%.
Old 01-31-2021, 12:03 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Quote:
]Did anyone find the line about Delia wanting to touch Magilla strange? I am sure it was to blend in with the STD storyline which is why Andy freaked out. But at the same time, like you said, Delia never seemed as if she had a crush on Magilla, and it also seemed a bit strange in general being so young and admitting she wanted to touch his shoulders.

What does everyone think about this?
Excellent question, Michelle.

I didn't remember Delia saying that the first time I watched this episode. It came as a shock, frankly.

I wonder what others think....
Old 01-31-2021, 07:45 PM
Dedicated Fan

I'm finally now watching this episode.

Their school library is GORGEOUS wow
Old 01-31-2021, 09:34 PM
Fan Forum Legend

Moderator of ...
Everwood

Quote:
Excellent question, Michelle.

I didn't remember Delia saying that the first time I watched this episode. It came as a shock, frankly.

I wonder what others think....
It really did. I think I tuned it out the first time while watching, I am not sure why. I just focused more on the other storylines which is odd since I typically hang on every single word in every episode. But yes, like you, I don't remember either.

Yes, we'll see what others think.
Old 01-31-2021, 09:34 PM
Fan Forum Legend

Moderator of ...
Everwood

Quote:
Originally Posted by Librarianx01 (View Post)
I'm finally now watching this episode.

Their school library is GORGEOUS wow
LOL!
Old 01-31-2021, 11:13 PM
Administrator

I really enjoyed this episode as we got to see different sides to some of the characters that we had never seen before. I liked how Irv recounted some of the history of Everwood and The Legend of The Kissing Bridge, and how Everwood, even though it was a small town, had gone through a lot of changes, and some things were built to last, and some things weren’t, as a hapless boy fell through the rickety old bridge.

I liked the care that Andy showed the boy who had fallen though The Kissing Bridge, but then Andy was shocked when he discovered that his patient Suzie had contracted a Sexually Transmitted Disease, but she said that she couldn’t have because she never had sex and she was totally ignorant of the fact that a STD could be transmitted by the “other things” that she was doing.

I loved seeing how overjoyed Ephram was when he thought that Amy had invited him to the Fall Dance, but his joy was short lived as he realized that Bright had cruelly tricked him again, and he lashed out at Amy when she said “You didn't, you didn't think that I...” and she tried to explain that she wasn’t going with anyone because she had asked Colin to go the year before.

I liked how Harold and Andy went to the school board to talk about the issue of properly educating the children of Everwood about safe sex. It was hilarious that Andy “volunteered” Harold to teach a sex education assembly at the High School with him, and it was really funny when Andy, upon realizing that the Mayor of the town was, in fact, Harold’s wife, said “Is there anybody in this community who is not related to one another?”

The family talk where Harold tried to bring up the issue of safe sex with his family was hilarious, but at the Brown house, I hated how Ephram took out his frustrations over what happened with Bright and Amy out on Andy.

I was glad that Ephram and Amy started talking again, and I loved how Ephram showed so much concern for Amy when she said that she wanted to just feel normal again for one second by offering to go with her to go and see Colin, showing the love he had for her and a kind and caring side to his character that was diametrically opposed to the way he treated his father.

I liked how Edna and Andy had a heart-to heart talk about how they dealt with grief as the news of the impending demise of The Kissing Bridge stirred up feelings in Edna that she had long buried, as that news reminded her of her late husband, as they had shared their first kiss on that bridge and he had proposed to her on that bridge, and when she had found out that she was pregnant with Harold, she took him to that bridge and told him their happy news, so the news that The Kissing Bridge would soon be gone, brought up a wealth of feelings that she didn’t know how to deal with. I was glad that Andy told Edna to talk to Irv about her feelings and I was glad that she took his advice and talked to him, and I loved it when he said “I just need to be able to put my arms around you when you're sad. Even if you are sad over someone else.”

It was heartbreaking to see Amy talk to a comatose Colin and ask him to the dance, and Ephram’s heart really went out to Amy in her sadness and anguish.

Delia learned a hard lesson that many of us experience in their lives as Magilla was nice to her when it was just him and her, but he was nasty to her when he was around the other boys to look “cool.” I thought it was strange when Delia said that she wanted to touch Magilla’s shoulders, and I don’t understand where that comment came from. We later got to see a totally unexpected side to Magilla as he and Delia played in his house and he brought out a set of beautiful dolls for him and Delia to play with from a large chest that he had hidden.

I really loved Ephram and Amy’s conversation in the diner, and I loved hearing Ephram tell the story of how he had asked out the prettiest girl in the school, Kathryn Adams, to a dance, but she called him the day of the dance to tell him she was sick, and so he pretended to go to the dance anyway because his mother was excited for him and he didn’t want her to know what a “loser” her son was, but as it turns out Kathryn really was sick, so Amy told him “See, you weren't geeky at all. Gwen Stefani was gonna take you,” which was really nice of her to say, but we also got to see that Ephram had friends in New York and a pretty girl that liked him, while Amy was his only friend in Everwood, unless you want to count Wendell.

I liked the conversation that Harold and Andy had in the car as they drove to pick up Ephram and Amy from Denver, and Harold was right to tell Andy that he needed to be a father to Ephram, and to put his foot down with him, and I was glad that Andy later took his advice.

I felt so sad when Harold and Andy met up with Ephram and Amy at the diner, and Amy embraced Harold but Ephram coldly said “I’ll wait in the car” to Andy, and the sad look on Andy’s face broke my heart.

I liked the scene between Bright and Harold where Bright admitted that he never had sex with anyone and Harold seemed so relieved that Bright told him that!

I liked the final scene between Andy and Ephram where Andy, taking Harold’s advice, started acting like a father with Ephram, and I loved it when he said “I needed you to know why I had to come to your school, Ephram. I needed you to hear that story because I want you always to be careful. I can't afford to lose another person I love”, as he told him about the boy he had treated who had died of AIDS, and when Ephram asked him why he didn’t tell him that before, Andy replied that he had no idea how to get Ephram’s attention, and that if he said the right thing to let him know so he could make a note of it, and I loved the look on Ephram’s face toward Andy after he said that he could try to do that.

I loved the conversation that Edna and Harold had at The Kissing Bridge as she told her son how much she had loved his father, and she blew up the bridge as her way of grieving.

Overall, this was another excellent episode of this wonderful show.

There are those who look at things the way they are and ask why - I dream of things that never were and ask why not. - Robert F. Kennedy
Jerry D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2021, 11:14 PM
Administrator

I'm sorry that my commentary was late but I was sick today. I'll respond to the questions tomorrow.

There are those who look at things the way they are and ask why - I dream of things that never were and ask why not. - Robert F. Kennedy
Old 02-01-2021, 02:00 AM
Fan Forum Star

I will reply to comments later, but here are my thoughts I wrote while watching....

Its crazy how little I remember from this show. Like, super weird. I guess I've only seen the whole thing twice but I always thought I had watched it more. But this is really like watching it for the first time almost...

Love the kissing bridge and that whole storyline. Any sort of town theme is always fun. It was cute that Edna was proposed to on the bridge and shared so many memories with Harold Sr there. It makes sense why she was grumpy the whole episode. It was a great one for her and for us to finally know a bit more about her and how she was handling his death. I also loved the ending scene where she apologized to Harold for moving on too quickly and blowing up the bridge.

Amy asking Ephram to the dance (or so it seemed) was so cute but it didn't really seem like her, so not shocked to find out that it was Bright. It sucks that he is still tormenting Ephram for no reason. Ephram has been a great friend to Amy, so I really dont understand Bright right now. I guess its his weird way of grieving Colin too? I do wish Amy would stand up to him a bit more though regarding Ephram.... I did like the small scene with Bright and Harold even though Bright still wasn't coming off very deep lol.

I felt so bad for Ephram getting tortured yet again and feeling like a loser but I wish he would stop with the self-deprecating act and just attempt to look past it. I loved Amy following him out to the hallway and explaining why she wasnt going to the dance. It was sweet that she cared about Ephram's feelings and wanted to make him understand why she wasn't ready. Ephram’s 'stupid boyfriend' comment was too much. What does he really expect from her? All he can ask right now is a friendship. I liked it when he apologized later on and offered to take her to see Colin, that was really cute and def. something she needed. And I think yet again, it was a way for her to see how great Ephram really is. (Also, the scene in the hallway where they walked by each other was adorable too, and it was cute that Amy was sad about them not talking.)

Poor Delia being confused about her friend. The shoulder comment was definitely a bit strange. I guess they were trying to imply that she liked him? They could have instead had her confess that she likes him straight out, or that she just wants to hang out with him all the time. But I think they were trying to imply she was having romantic feelings. ( I sure did at that age lol.) It was a bit outdated of a message for Andy to say if boys are mean it means they like you. Not that its not true but its not okay to accept that behavior. I wish Andy had told her not to tolerate it.... but I did love her friend playing with dolls and the show bringing that storyline into the picture because that is def. an issue with some dads regarding their sons. (which is silly!)

Speaking of that.... Jerry, did you ever have "girls" toys you liked to play with as a kid?

I really loved Andy in this episode, he was a standout. I loved him standing up for what is right and trying to help the kids and talk to them about safe sex. I was a bit surprised that Harold actually agreed to go along with it based off what we know of their future standpoints on religion and sex but I was glad to see Harold follow through and worked with Andy. Their relationship continues to be one of my favorite interactions on the entire show, I am kind of obsessed with them . Its rare for me to care about two older men being friends lol but I just find them so fun and their relationship is developing so naturally.

The aids story was great! I love the show bringing that up and I loved Andy being a good father in this episode, taking Harold's advice and also talking to Ephram about how Ephram talks to him. It was cute to see some growth there and to see Ephram's little smile as they came to a better understanding. I just love their relationship on this show as well and can't wait to see it grow.

I really enjoyed this episode because it had a theme to it with the kissing bridge and reminded me of episode 2 a bit. I would rate it a low 8 probably. I think I liked it best after the pilot. There were a lot of good moments in there. I still think the show can be amazing though in some later episodes so I am reserving my 9 and 10 ratings....

Favorite/standout characters in this episode:

1. Andy
2. Ephram
3. Harold
4. Amy
5. Edna

And my favorite quote from the episode was the one Harold gave about Edna bringing him out there to kill him.
Alexa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2021, 06:51 AM
Administrator

Great commentary Alexa.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexa (View Post)
Speaking of that.... Jerry, did you ever have "girls" toys you liked to play with as a kid?
I had GI Joe's. which were advertised as "Action Figures," but were basically dolls for boys! You could buy different uniforms for them and dress them up in them.

Other than that, not really. I did have a Teddy Bear that I still have to this day.

Reply   Post New Thread