Old 05-22-2021, 10:07 PM
Fan Forum Legend

Moderator of ...
Everwood

2021-2023 Everwood Rewatch: Episode 1.20 - Moonlight Sonata

Rewatch Overview

Moonlight Sonata

SUMMARY

While Ephram deals with his nervousness about performing in a piano recital, Andy and Harold attempt to diagnose a man with a sleep disorder. Meanwhile, Amy spends time with Edna in order to secretly see Colin while she's grounded; and a rumor about UFO sightings and aliens create a stir in Everwood.

SEASON

EPISODE

AIR DATE
April 28, 2003

WRITER
Wendy Mericle
Patrick Sean Smith

DIRECTOR
Michael Schultz

Last edited by jediwands; 01-13-2023 at 10:09 PM
jediwands is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2021, 01:04 AM
Fan Forum Legend

Moderator of ...
Everwood

I liked this episode for one reason... Ephram. I think the guy transforms endlessly in this one episode. He learns a lot about life in general, about love, family, career, success, lack of success, sadness, disappointment, shock. If you think about it so many elements are in play here and, yes, Ephram experiences them all.

I loved the Amy/Edna interaction. I wasn't too fond of how Amy initially tried to use and manipulate her Grandmother. I like that Amy's head finally gets screwed on properly again instead of being out in fantasyland regarding Colin. Of course I loved how she also showed up for Ephram. It was so special. It meant so much to Ephram. I also love in the flashbacks we see how much Julia was a huge part of Ephram's talent playing the piano. Amy sort of takes over that role. She was there for him in this episode, she hung out in his studio while they were together romantically in Season 3 as he practiced, she fought like hell to get him a new audition after the NYC hell whether he wanted it or not. Amy always supported Ephram. Julia wanted them in Everwood. It does seem like Julia almost picked out Amy as the perfect girlfriend and love of her son's life. She knew Amy would support and be loyal to her son no matter what. That magical, spiritual component of Everwood I love so much is flashing in this episode.

I really like Andy in this episode, too. We are seeing what a great father he has become. More importantly, Andy is seeing and feeling it... not only his ability as a father but his love for simply being a father.

The Matt/Kate stuff is disgusting. I hated this storyline but simply try to remind myself that it at least helped Ephram see the light on a lot of things. This was the good aspect. Everything else sucked.

Back to Amy and Edna... I've always loved this story because of its characterization of Amy. The character's sometimes insufferable when paired with Colin to put it mildly. She shines in "Moonlight Sonata" because like I said above, she has been in a dark, clouded fantasyland for many episodes before this one. It truly is like a bright light shines upon her in this one. It was nice to see.

The case-of-the-week of course is owned by the amazing Tom Amandes. In addition to the medical mystery, Harold argues with various townsfolk about the existence of other life in the universe. Harold is at his best when he's full of comedy strutting a pompous demeanor.

The two Brown characters = why I loved this episode the most. Both were going through their own flashes of revelation and understanding, together and separately.

One thing that bothered me... Ephram's possible career path was brushed over way too quickly. The ending to this episode, with Ephram not wanting to get into piano because of what Matt ends up being and what Andy did with his gift reminds me of the fact that we really didn't get to explore much in regards to Ephram not wanting to become a professional piano player. The bottom line to this scene is that Ephram will never become Matt or Andy. Ephram will be just fine without losing who he truly is. Ephram has learned from the mistakes Andy has made. In many ways, Ephram has evolved at age 15 almost more than Andy evolved as a grown adult at this point. Ephram was already way smarter than Ephram/Madison. I feel Ephram should have known Andy was right about Madison. Ephram dating Madison due to the legal issue along with what was best for Delia just seemed like it would have come natural for Ephram to realize it simply wasn't a good idea all around. When you think about it... Matt and Madison aren’t that much different. Both are adults in a position of authority having sex/creating a pregnancy with underage teens. Gross. Didn’t like how it didn’t make sense for us to see Ephram not making the right choices since he knew better.

But anyway, back to this episode and my real point. I'm not saying that Ephram shouldn't have become a piano teacher (since it was his calling), but I do think that the show lost a little something by not exploring the issue further than that one episode later on. I feel like we lost Ephram's journey a bit as he inched closer towards becoming something special. I feel like this episode really hit on something strong and it deflated after that. I wish this building block would have continued.

Last thoughts:

- "Mom would be proud." Awe.

- Delia’s hat backwards is how I looked growing up before and after sports.

- Andy perfecting the omelette was awesome.
- Abbott family meals continue to be one of the best things about this series.

- Amy/Bright sibling bickering is great.

- Bright and his virgin alien comment was kind of weird, lol.

- Amy strutting her science knowledge reminds me of how she’d make a good doctor.

- Ephram/Amy locker scene is filled with chemistry. Amy’s heart hurts after Ephram tells her they should keep their distance. Anyone who’s in love and hears that sort of thing is going to be crushed.

- The talk between Edna/Amy was good. Amy does have tunnel vision. Edna once again points out how Amy’s her father’s daughter.

- Hate Matt. What a vile predator.

- Amy and Edna are so cute after she knew about Amy’s initial plan. They really bond in this one.

- Wonderful end scene between Andy/Ephram.

- Screw you, Matt, is right. When Ephram opens up the door and sees them together... gross. Ephram’s reaction demonstrates what a decent, passionate, caring guy he truly is.

Last edited by jediwands; 05-23-2021 at 01:21 AM
Old 05-23-2021, 07:58 AM
Administrator

I thought that this was another well-done episode of this incredible show, as Ephram once again learned some disappointing news about a person he had looked up to, and we got to see Edna and Amy relate to one another as Everwood became the site of temporary media frenzy.

I liked the way that Amy and Edna connected with one another in this episode, and you could see the closeness that this grandmother and granddaughter have, but we also got to see that Amy is so focused on Colin right now that she’d even try to deceive and manipulate Edna into going on a camping trip to get around being grounded so she could go and see Colin. I thought it was neat when they saw the flash in the sky both the first and second times, but the first time around, Amy was so focused on Colin, that she couldn’t even savor the moment with her grandmother. I didn’t like seeing Amy try to manipulate Edna into letting her go and see Colin, and I’m glad that Edna didn’t let her get away with it. I thought that Edna was right when she later told Amy that there’s a fine line between devotion and obsession, and it seems like Amy is crossing that line, but fortunately, Edna was there to help her put things in perspective, and I really liked it when she told Amy that she needed to be the type of person that she had always been, namely someone who would be there for everyone, and not just Colin.

I thought it was amusing when the flash in the sky, otherwise known as the “Everwood Lights” resulted in a mass descent of people looking for UFO’s, and I also thought it was neat when Amy figured out what caused this phenomenon, but she thought it would be nice to let people still have their dreams and a bit of magic in their lives and let those lights in the sky signify anything they wanted them to be, and I enjoyed seeing Amy’s thoughtful and considerate side in that scene. Harold’s reaction to the crowds was hilarious and typical Harold, as he referred to them as “Tie Dyed Space Freaks” and he sparred with the alien acolytes, and I liked how Andy coerced him into running the sleep therapy session with Chuck and Betsy, and I cracked up when “little” Betsy knocked him out cold!

I enjoyed seeing Andy get another lesson in child rearing, as Ephram feigned indifference to people coming to his upcoming piano recital to cover up his nervousness, and he gave Andy the impression that he didn’t want anyone to come to it, but then as it turned out, he actually did want people to come, and I was touched at how Andy frantically “gathered up the troops” so Ephram would have an audience at his “big event.”

I thought that Ephram was insensitive to Amy when he told her that he thought it was best that they kept their distance for a little while, and while I could understand his reasoning for doing that, but still you could tell that he really hurt Amy by saying that. Ephram seemed both impressed with and intimidated by Kate’s piano playing, because he had naturally assumed that there was no one in Everwood as talented as he was, but when he saw how gifted Kate was, he saw that wasn’t the case, and I think that’s why he wanted Andy to “disinvite” the people he had invited. I was glad that Andy was able to get people to come to Ephram’s recital after all, and he looked really happy that Amy ended up showing up at his recital, thanks to a frantic plea from Andy.

I felt bad for Ephram in this episode as yet another person he had looked up to disappointed him, as he found out that his piano teacher Matt was having an affair with his fellow student Kate, who had earlier impressed Ephram with her talent. We saw that Matt lied to Ephram and to Kate, and I was glad that Ephram confronted Matt about what he was doing, and as always, I was impressed with what a compassionate human being Ephram is, as he showed real concern for Kate and her feelings, even though she called him naïve and Matt tried to dismiss his accusations by telling him that he was just a kid without any life experiences. I also liked the fact that Ephram acknowledged that Kate was a better pianist than him, and he acknowledged that to her and to Matt without one trace of envy, and I think that’s a very admirable quality for someone to have. I was glad to see Ephram perform at his recital with passion and brilliance despite the shocking scene that he had witnessed (Matt and Kate embracing) and I was happy to see him try and be a friend to Kate, although I did think that both him and Kate were pretty harsh to each other, as they called each other naïve, but I think he was right when he said that Matt had used and deceived her. It’s too bad that we never saw Kate again after the abortion story in Episode 20, because I feel that her and Ephram could have become friends and bonded through their mutual love of music and their piano talent, and I would have much preferred seeing her as a possible love interest for Ephram in Season Two instead of Madison.

I loved Ephram and Andy’s conversation at the end, and I liked seeing them truly start to connect with each other, and I especially enjoyed seeing Andy recognize what a special young man Ephram is, when he told him that Matt didn’t know him and what he was capable of, and that he was a better pianist and a better human being than Matt. I also really liked it when Ephram questioned what the point was of becoming great at something if you have to compromise everything you believe in to get there, and Andy told him that the fact that he was asking those questions at 15 years old meant that he wouldn’t make the same mistakes that he had, because it had taken him 20 years and the loss of his wife to get to even know the questions that Ephram was asking.

Overall, I thought that this was another incredible episode of this wonderful show.

There are those who look at things the way they are and ask why - I dream of things that never were and ask why not. - Robert F. Kennedy
Jerry D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2021, 09:16 AM
Fan Forum Legend

Moderator of ...
Everwood

Excellent thoughts, Jerry.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry D (View Post)
I thought that Ephram was insensitive to Amy when he told her that he thought it was best that they kept their distance for a little while, and while I could understand his reasoning for doing that, but still you could tell that he really hurt Amy by saying that.
I completely agree. He was insensitive. At the same time, I kind of liked it, lol. I feel like her fantasyland behavior justified Ephram going there. Yes, he knew what he was doing, he deliberately hurt her. You could see it on her face, it landed directly inside her heart. She was very upset. But I liked that it snapped her (even temporarily) back down to reality. In addition, I love how she didn't even care what he said in the end, when Andy went to her, she went with Andy for Ephram. It was great. I also thought it was remarkable how Amy's grounded and Edna is like, "Go, be there for Ephram!" as well as Harold not caring either. Harold had to eventually find out about it and we know she didn't get into trouble for it. She looked so moved watching him playing... just like someone totally in love would look.

Quote:
Ephram seemed both impressed with and intimidated by Kate’s piano playing, because he had naturally assumed that there was no one in Everwood as talented as he was, but when he saw how gifted Kate was, he saw that wasn’t the case,
All I could think about while watching Ephram look at Kate in amazement was how great the two of them would have been together, casually dating, being mostly friends (with some romantic flare) while they shared their piano gift together. It would have been awesome seeing these two paired together instead of gross Madison. They had more chemistry than Kate/Matt, that is for sure. Can't even compare either, since, gross. But yes, I would have loved seeing Ephram/Kate instead of Ephram/Madison. Even Ephram/Kate over Ephram/Laynie (due to being Amy's friend). It would have been great. I wonder if the actress was only available for a couple of episodes or if they even considered Ephram/Kate. They should have, if they didn't.

Quote:
and I think that’s why he wanted Andy to “disinvite” the people he had invited. I was glad that Andy was able to get people to come to Ephram’s recital after all, and he looked really happy that Amy ended up showing his recital, thanks to a frantic plea from Andy.
I love how, for Ephram, his anxiety wasn't just about Amy in this one. It was about his gift which was wonderful to see. I also loved how Andy cutely did damage control after bipolar Ephram went back and forth with his desires.

Last edited by jediwands; 05-23-2021 at 01:06 PM
Old 05-23-2021, 09:34 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilpensix (View Post)
Excellent thoughts, Jerry.
Thanks!

Quote:
I completely agree. He was insensitive. At the same time, I kind of liked it, lol. I feel like her fantasyland behavior justified Ephram going there. Yes, he knew what he was doing, he deliberately hurt her. You could see it on her face, it landed directly inside her heart. She was very upset. But I liked that it snapped her (even temporarily) back down to reality. In addition, I love how she didn't even care what he said in the end, when Andy went to her, she went with Andy for Ephram. It was great. I also thought it was remarkable how Amy's grounded and Edna is like, "Go, be there for Ephram!" as well as Harold not caring either. Harold had to eventually find out about it and we know she didn't get into trouble for it. She looked so moved watching him playing... just like someone totally in love would look.
There was a lot of back and forth with Ephram and Amy in this season. She would hurt him and he would hurt her. On both sides, their feelings were so strong and they would try to fight them and sometimes they'd hurt each other in the process.

Quote:
All I could think about while watching Ephram look at Kate in amazement was how great the two of them would have been together, casually dating, being mostly friends (with some romantic flare) while they shared their piano gift together. It would have been awesome seeing these two paired together instead of gross Madison. They had more chemistry than Kate/Matt, that is for sure. Can't even compare either, since, gross. But yes, I would have loved seeing Ephram/Kate instead of Ephram/Madison. Even Ephram/Kate over Ephram/Laynie (due to being Amy's friend). It would have been great. I wonder if the actress was only available for a couple of episodes or if they even considered Ephram/Kate. They should have, if they didn't.
I would have much preferred Ephram and Kate getting closer and possibly dating in place of the awful mess that was Madison. Ephram and Kate could have bonded over their mutual gift for and love of playing the piano and Kate Mara is a gifted actress who would have shined on that show.

Quote:
I love how, for Ephram, his anxiety wasn't just about Amy in this one. It was about his gift which was wonderful to see. I also loved how Andy cutely did damage control after bipolar Ephram went back and forth with his desires.
I really liked that too.

There are those who look at things the way they are and ask why - I dream of things that never were and ask why not. - Robert F. Kennedy

Last edited by jediwands; 05-23-2021 at 01:10 PM
Old 05-23-2021, 02:01 PM
Fan Forum Legend

Moderator of ...
Everwood

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry D (View Post)
Thanks!

There was a lot of back and forth with Ephram and Amy in this season. She would hurt him and he would hurt her. On both sides, their feelings were so strong and they would try to fight them and sometimes they'd hurt each other in the process.
Precisely. Amy even talks about how they always hurt each other. But unlike Dawson/Joey, the way Ephram/Amy hurt each other was very different. Can you explain it? It was different though. Ephram/Amy always maintained the core of their relationship (friendship) and I think that was the biggest difference. They hurt each other due to very serious things happening around them along with handling their romantic feelings for each other. But again, they found a way to remain friends, always stayed connected no matter what. Some of their strongest moments were when they are technically not even a couple. The love, both emotional and romantic, is so strong between them, it was eternal, and endured.

Quote:
I would have much preferred Ephram and Kate getting closer and possibly dating in place of the awful mess that was Madison. Ephram and Kate could have bonded over their mutual gift for and love of playing the piano and Kate Mara is a gifted actress who would have shined on that show.

I really liked that too.
Me too. It's really too bad she didn't have a longer story arc. I really liked her.
Old 05-24-2021, 02:50 AM
Fan Forum Star

Moderator of ...
Xo, Kitty

wow this episode was frustrating in many ways!

HAROLD. I LOVE HIM SO MUCH. He was so funny ranting in his car about all the people.... that is totally me because I have road rage lmao... and he said “how many points is this” my parents used to joke about this game all the time. too funny. I also love the fact that he made Amy write a paper again He is so extra.

Edna was great in this episode too and I enjoyed her moments with Amy. The whole bug/alien thing was a bit odd of a storyline but they made it work. And i love that Edna didnt let Amy get away with going to see Colin and using her to get out of being grounded. Good for her. Also what she said about Amy at the end having an obsession for Colin and letting it consume her... THANK YOU! She is exactly right.

The Matt storyline is very icky. Btu I am glad they are not romanticizing it. I dot think Ephram should have said the things he said to Kate though, because she might not realize it now but shes being taken advantage of and years later shell look back and probably be traumatized from what he did to her. And that scene made it feel like Ephram was blaming her for it. She has no control in this situation. She's still a child... A lot of these underage victims don realize the effect of what they are doing/whats happenign to them until its much later on in their lives. But Matt is gross. And i am so glad that Ephram called him out at the end!

Side note but its kind of ironic that kate mara plays a preditor in a new show now and has an affair with a younger student lol.

I'm not really enjoying the Ephram/Amy storyline mcuh right now what with Amy being crazy about Colin and then all teh awkwardness between them. Its just dragging too much for me. But I do like that she went ot the recital. However, she was kinda forced there....

Andy was sweet trying to get people to come to the recital and then uninviting everyone when Ephram asked. (Ephram later getting upset that he did was so annoying lol). But at least they had another nice moment at the end of the epsiode.

Top 5 characters this episode.
1. Edna
2. Harold
3. Andy
4. Ephram for standing up to Matt
5. Amy only because she had some funny lines at the dinner table otherwise she'd still be frustrating me lol

Last edited by Alexa; 05-24-2021 at 02:56 AM
Alexa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2021, 09:50 AM
Fan Forum Legend

Moderator of ...
Everwood

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexa (View Post)
wow this episode was frustrating in many ways!

HAROLD. I LOVE HIM SO MUCH. He was so funny ranting in his car about all the people.... that is totally me because I have road rage lmao... and he said “how many points is this” my parents used to joke about this game all the time. too funny. I also love the fact that he made Amy write a paper again He is so extra.
The paper was so awesome. Yes, the car scene is so great because who doesn't drive while having all these thoughts inside just coming out while being stressed in the car? Harold's just so great. I also love how he helped Andy with the dude who had his wife beating him up during sleep. Harold's so great. Everyone needs a Harold in their life.

Quote:
Edna was great in this episode too and I enjoyed her moments with Amy. The whole bug/alien thing was a bit odd of a storyline but they made it work. And i love that Edna didnt let Amy get away with going to see Colin and using her to get out of being grounded. Good for her. Also what she said about Amy at the end having an obsession for Colin and letting it consume her... THANK YOU! She is exactly right.
Such wisdom coming from Edna.

What I find interesting is Edna lacks patience with the Townies, even Irv and Harold. But she finds a way to stay calm with Amy even when Amy deserves to be yelled at. Edna is a great Grandmother to Amy in this way and as we know, they have many moments together in S2. I love her patience and wisdom with Amy.

Quote:
The Matt storyline is very icky. Btu I am glad they are not romanticizing it. I dot think Ephram should have said the things he said to Kate though, because she might not realize it now but shes being taken advantage of and years later shell look back and probably be traumatized from what he did to her. And that scene made it feel like Ephram was blaming her for it. She has no control in this situation. She's still a child... A lot of these underage victims don realize the effect of what they are doing/whats happenign to them until its much later on in their lives. But Matt is gross. And i am so glad that Ephram called him out at the end!
Wow. I love your thoughts here. I didn't really think about it in this way. You are so right. I saw Ephram's POV and how much he hates what is going on but you are absolutely right about how it could potentially affect Kate now and in the future. Excellent thoughts!

Quote:
Side note but its kind of ironic that kate mara plays a preditor in a new show now and has an affair with a younger student lol.
Seriously?! Had no idea. That's funny.

Quote:
I'm not really enjoying the Ephram/Amy storyline mcuh right now what with Amy being crazy about Colin and then all teh awkwardness between them. Its just dragging too much for me. But I do like that she went ot the recital. However, she was kinda forced there....
They are definitely in limbo right now.

Quote:
Andy was sweet trying to get people to come to the recital and then uninviting everyone when Ephram asked. (Ephram later getting upset that he did was so annoying lol). But at least they had another nice moment at the end of the epsiode.
Yes, their interaction was interesting in this one but always a nice moment at the end.

Quote:
Top 5 characters this episode.
1. Edna
2. Harold
3. Andy
4. Ephram for standing up to Matt
5. Amy only because she had some funny lines at the dinner table otherwise she'd still be frustrating me lol
Love that Edna is #1. Totally agree.
Old 05-24-2021, 11:02 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Quote:
I loved the Amy/Edna interaction. I wasn't too fond of how Amy initially tried to use and manipulate her Grandmother. I like that Amy's head finally gets screwed on properly again instead of being out in fantasyland regarding Colin. Of course I loved how she also showed up for Ephram. It was so special. It meant so much to Ephram.
I was happy that Edna was not the pushover that I thought she was in regard to Harold's grounding of Amy. Edna did respect Harold's wishes.
I also love the fact that Edna not only realized that Ephram needed Amy, but also showed her preference as to who Amy should be with. You've got good taste, Edna!

Quote:
One thing that bothered me... Ephram's possible career path was brushed over way too quickly. The ending to this episode, with Ephram not wanting to get into piano because of what Matt ends up being and what Andy did with his gift reminds me of the fact that we really didn't get to explore much in regards to Ephram not wanting to become a professional piano player. The bottom line to this scene is that Ephram will never become Matt or Andy. Ephram will be just fine without losing who he truly is. Ephram has learned from the mistakes Andy has made. In many ways, Ephram has evolved at age 15 almost more than Andy evolved as a grown adult at this point.
It is pretty sad that because of Matt...Ephram did not have a piano teacher until season 3! Yes...Andy handled Ephram so well reminding him that Ephram was so much better than Andy and would never compromise his integrity to get ahead. Such a beautiful moment between father and son. This show has a tendency to end an episode with moments like this.

-
Quote:
The talk between Edna/Amy was good. Amy does have tunnel vision. Edna once again points out how Amy’s her father’s daughter.
Haven't we been saying that?!? LOL

Have I mentioned Ephram in a suit?

-

Last edited by everwoodfan52; 05-24-2021 at 11:09 AM
everwoodfan52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2021, 11:08 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Quote:
I thought that Ephram was insensitive to Amy when he told her that he thought it was best that they kept their distance for a little while, and while I could understand his reasoning for doing that, but still you could tell that he really hurt Amy by saying that. Ephram seemed both impressed with and intimidated by Kate’s piano playing, because he had naturally assumed that there was no one in Everwood as talented as he was, but when he saw how gifted Kate was, he saw that wasn’t the case, and I think that’s why he wanted Andy to “disinvite” the people he had invited. I was glad that Andy was able to get people to come to Ephram’s recital after all, and he looked really happy that Amy ended up showing up at his recital, thanks to a frantic plea from Andy.
When Ephram thought that he would end the show because he was the best...he didn't care if Andy invited the world to his recital. When he realized he probably wouldn't end the show and Kate would....he was too embarrassed to have people come and see this...including Amy. When Ephram told Amy that it was probably better if she didn't come he was trying to be cool...indifferent and trying to protect his feelings. But...deep down he was agonizing over Amy and would have loved to have her at his recital no matter what. Hence his adorable smile when he spotted Amy in the audience at the end of his performance.
Old 05-24-2021, 11:15 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexa (View Post)

l
I think that Ephram should have spoken to Kate about this, but maybe in a kinder non accusatory manner. Unfortunately Kate will not only be traumatized later on from what Matt did to her, but if you remember there will be another aftereffect of this relationship.
Old 05-24-2021, 12:50 PM
Fan Forum Legend

Moderator of ...
Everwood

Quote:
Originally Posted by everwoodfan52 (View Post)
I was happy that Edna was not the pushover that I thought she was in regard to Harold's grounding of Amy. Edna did respect Harold's wishes.
I also love the fact that Edna not only realized that Ephram needed Amy, but also showed her preference as to who Amy should be with. You've got good taste, Edna!
Completely agree! She even had Amy joking that she made the wrong choice which means Amy understood Edna was fond of Ephram. Of course we know Ephram made the choice for Amy.

Yes, it was very obvious the Abbott family in general are pro-Ephram. Even Bright at this point.

Quote:
It is pretty sad that because of Matt...Ephram did not have a piano teacher until season 3! Yes...Andy handled Ephram so well reminding him that Ephram was so much better than Andy and would never compromise his integrity to get ahead. Such a beautiful moment between father and son. This show has a tendency to end an episode with moments like this.
Really sad Matt turned out being such a scum bag. He did help Ephram get back into piano and evolve. But since he’s disgusting his true colors prevailed.

That last father/son scene was lit.

Quote:
Haven't we been saying that?!? LOL

Have I mentioned Ephram in a suit?
You’ve been saying both for multiple rewatches over many many years.
Old 05-24-2021, 12:56 PM
Fan Forum Legend

Moderator of ...
Everwood

This episode is an example of the powerful emotional/romantic connection between Ephram/Amy. Ephram can tell her to stay away but someone or something always brings Ephramy/Amy right back together. It’s very spiritually moving and intense. Nothing can stop this rare eternal connection... the flame never burns out.

Last edited by jediwands; 05-24-2021 at 01:01 PM
Old 05-25-2021, 03:16 PM
Fan Forum Star

Moderator of ...
Xo, Kitty

Quote:
I saw Ephram's POV and how much he hates what is going on but you are absolutely right about how it could potentially affect Kate now and in the future. Excellent thoughts!
I get why Ephram was upset and he did come around at the end when he confronted Matt and stood up for Kate, but i wish he had been a bit kinder to her in their 1 on 1 scene. This is not her fault at all. Shes teh victim here. And the dialogue was a bit victim-blaming imo. However, i wont blame Ephram, but the times for this. I dont think the writers realized this and it wasnt as apparent back then before all the Me Too stuff in the current time brought this stuff to light.

Quote:
Seriously?! Had no idea. That's funny.
Yeah, its called "a teacher"... its a bit problematic because the scenes with her and her student (played by nick robinson) are pretty racey.... they do an okay job of calling out the abuse in the final episode but i feel like they try to make her character too sympathetic. In real life he is 26 and she is 38, so there is still a pretty big age gap there, which is kinda weird to me.
Alexa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2021, 04:14 PM
Administrator

I thought that it was pretty clear why Ephram decided not to pursue his ambition of becoming a Professional Concert Pianist. It was the episode when he met someone who actually was a Professional Concert Pianist, and that person told him that he would have to travel all the time and never be home or have time for a family, and although he (the Professional Concert Pianist, I forget his name) loved that lifestyle, Ephram realized that pursuing that dream would take him away from everyone and everything that he loved, so he decided that career path wasn't for him.

Reply   Post New Thread