Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Reply   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Thread Tools
Old 02-24-2021, 10:20 AM
Fan Forum Legend

Moderator of ...
Everwood

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry D (View Post)
I figured that Colin would survive the first surgery because if he didn't, there would have been no point to everything that had transpired in the first six episodes. Like you've said, Colin's main purpose was to bring the Brown and Abbott families together, so he had to survive the first surgery in order to do that.
That’s very true. His story was not done just yet. What about the second surgery? Did you think he was going to survive?
jediwands is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2021, 11:01 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auror (View Post)
Anyone have more thoughts on the episode?

What did people think going into this episode? If you weren't spoiled, did you believe Colin would survive the first surgery?
I was spoiled...watched the series after the fact! I'm kind of glad I knew stuff ahead of time.
everwoodfan52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2021, 11:18 AM
Fan Forum Legend

Moderator of ...
Everwood

Quote:
Originally Posted by everwoodfan52 (View Post)
I was spoiled...watched the series after the fact! I'm kind of glad I knew stuff ahead of time.
I was spoiled for all of S1 and part of S2 before even watching The Pilot. The main spoilers, that is, like Colin’s story and Ephram/Amy. It was odd knowing Colin initially survives but eventually dies and watching it all play out for the first time.
Old 02-24-2021, 11:40 AM
Administrator

Quote:
That’s very true. His story was not done just yet. What about the second surgery? Did you think he was going to survive?
I figured that he was going to die because if he didn't, Season Two would have just been a repeat of Season One, so everyone had to move on.

There are those who look at things the way they are and ask why - I dream of things that never were and ask why not. - Robert F. Kennedy
Jerry D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2021, 11:43 AM
Administrator

It wasn't clear to me why Colin died in the second surgery. Was it a surgical mistake on Andy's part? Was that ever really explained? I think Andy told Ephram that he could have saved Colin but he would be completely incapacitated, so he let him go to honor Colin's wishes.

There are those who look at things the way they are and ask why - I dream of things that never were and ask why not. - Robert F. Kennedy
Old 02-24-2021, 11:48 AM
Fan Forum Legend

Moderator of ...
Everwood

Quote:
I figured that he was going to die because if he didn't, Season Two would have just been a repeat of Season One, so everyone had to move on.
That’s very true. It goes along with the story. Plus, just watching Home it’s pretty clear Colin is passing away.
Old 02-24-2021, 11:55 AM
Fan Forum Legend

Moderator of ...
Everwood

Quote:
It wasn't clear to me why Colin died in the second surgery. Was it a surgical mistake on Andy's part? Was that ever really explained? I think Andy told Ephram that he could have saved Colin but he would be completely incapacitated, so he let him go to honor Colin's wishes.
It wasn’t a surgical mistake on Andy’s end if I’m remembering correctly. Andy and Colin had the discussion and Colin made Andy promise him if when he got in and it looked bad (he would possibly be a vegetable as far as brain function) Andy wouldn’t save him just to save him. He would honor Colin’s wishes and just let him go. So that is what he did.
Old 02-24-2021, 12:01 PM
Fan Forum Legend

Moderator of ...
Everwood

I checked Home:

Quote:
DR. BROWN: Hey, Colin.

COLIN: Hi, Dr. Brown. Can I talk to you for a minute? I-I won't take long.

DR. BROWN: Sure, sure. Come right in.

[He ushers Colin to the lounge.]

DR. BROWN: How are ya?

COLIN: [upbeat] I'm good. [laughs] You know I had this insane day today. It was kind of amazing actually. I mean, it felt long but it went by so fast.

DR. BROWN: I know the feeling.

COLIN: Yeah. It's a good feeling. You know, I'm not saying that you should feel this good everyday, but... I think you should give each day's it's own chance, you know? To make things... I don't know, better? Right? You know what I mean.

[His smile slowly fades and he leans forward.]

COLIN: When they put me out tomorrow, if I don't wake up the way I'm supposed to, if I'm not me again, I don't wanna be. [stern] Don't bring me back.

[Dr. Brown thinks for a moment. Colin's eyes have started to well up.]

DR. BROWN: Listen, Colin...

COLIN: Please? Just promise me. That you won't keep trying.

[Beat.]

DR. BROWN: I promise.

COLIN: [pulls out an envelope] I, ah, I wrote it down. In case.

DR. BROWN: I understand. But everything's gonna be fine. This will never get opened.

COLIN: [not so sure] OK. Good.

[Dr. Brown holds out his hand and Colin takes it.]

Quote:
DR. BROWN: Colin, you're doing good. Just stay with me here. Alright, I'm removing the clips.

NURSE #1: There's no leak, it's holding.

DR. BROWN: Where's the duralgraph?

NURSE #1: It's here.

DR. BROWN: Can I have it please?

[An alarm sounds.]

DR. BROWN: What is that?

NURSE #2: The blood flow's dropping in the vessel, fast.

DR. BROWN: It burst. Damn! Re-equip blot surely. Let's go. Come on people let's go. I want as many gel foams as quickly as possible, OK? As fast as you can bring them to me keep 'em coming. I'm gonna stuff this sucker. That's good, that's good. Here we go, here we go. Slowing it down. Again, good job, good job. Here we go. Come on, baby. Hang in there, Colin. Come on buddy. Slow it up, good job. Here we go.

[Fade on a hospital corridor. Dr. Brown slowly walks down the hall and into the waiting room. Inside the waiting room are Colin's parents, the Abbotts, Edna and Irv, and Ephram. They all rise to greet him. Dr. Brown has a completely blank face.]

[Fade to black.]
I always loved what Home meant... two different things... Ephram was Home in Everwood and Colin truly went Home to Heaven. But that's for a later date. LOL.
Old 02-24-2021, 12:07 PM
Fan Forum Legend

Moderator of ...
Everwood

Actually here’s the exact answer in 2.1:

Quote:
DR. BROWN: There was, uh, a point in the surgery.

[Dr. Brown sits in a chair.]

DR. BROWN: (CONT'D) After the vessel burst.

[Ephram sits on the couch.]

DR. BROWN: (CONT'D) Where I could have tried something else. A more complex version of the same procedure. But we would have had to start all over again. [beat] I just kept thinking about that night. He was sitting on that couch right where you are. Pleading with me. Making me promise something I never should have promised. And so, [beat] I just stopped. I stopped trying.

EPHRAM: So he would have lived?

DR. BROWN: Probably. But he wouldn't have been the same boy that you knew. At best, he would have been barely functioning. Both physically and mentally handicapped. Dependent upon those who loved him for everything. At worst, he would have been under breathing apparatus until the Harts themselves were forced to make the same decision I did. [beat] I knew that the only way to keep my promise to him was... to let him go.

[A long beat.]

EPHRAM: So you've been living with this all summer and you haven't told anybody?

DR. BROWN: His wishes were confidential.
Old 02-24-2021, 12:14 PM
Administrator

Oh wow, that's so heartbreaking. So Andy didn't really make a surgical mistake, but once that blood vessel burst, that was it in a way, and he chose to honor Colin's wishes and let him go.

Thanks for that Michelle.

Old 02-24-2021, 12:18 PM
Fan Forum Legend

Moderator of ...
Everwood

Exactly right.

You’re welcome.
Old 02-24-2021, 12:24 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Exactly right.

You’re welcome.
That was a great scene with Colin and Andy, but I still feel that Colin should have apologized to Ephram for beating him up. He made his peace with Amy and Bright and they had enjoyed one last day together having fun, but I was disappointed when Colin went to see Andy that he barely spoke to Ephram. Ephram had befriended Colin (or Colin had befriended him) when Colin first went back to school and he didn't have his memory back, but then as Colin recovered his memory he tossed Ephram aside and treated him terribly, so I would have liked to have seen an apology out of Colin to end that perfect day for him. Oh well.

Old 02-24-2021, 01:13 PM
Fan Forum Legend

Moderator of ...
Everwood

Quote:
That was a great scene with Colin and Andy, but I still feel that Colin should have apologized to Ephram for beating him up. He made his peace with Amy and Bright and they had enjoyed one last day together having fun, but I was disappointed when Colin went to see Andy that he barely spoke to Ephram. Ephram had befriended Colin (or Colin had befriended him) when Colin first went back to school and he didn't have his memory back, but then as Colin recovered his memory he tossed Ephram aside and treated him terribly, so I would have liked to have seen an apology out of Colin to end that perfect day for him. Oh well.
It would have been nice.

That said, I think that last scene between Colin and Ephram was very layered. I will always believe Colin was indirectly giving his blessing to Ephram for being with Amy in the future. I think that was going on big time so an apology might have been weird. But then again, it actually would have been nice seeing Colin apologize for beating him up at the same time Ephram was attempting to say he was sorry for what was going on with Amy. If you look at that scene and read the words and nonverbal communication, Ephram was slightly trying to apologize and Colin stopped him. There was a lot going on in that scene for sure. Colin apologizing to Ephram in a prior scene and then having the final scene remain the same would have worked though.
Old 02-24-2021, 04:34 PM
Administrator

Quote:
It would have been nice.

That said, I think that last scene between Colin and Ephram was very layered. I will always believe Colin was indirectly giving his blessing to Ephram for being with Amy in the future. I think that was going on big time so an apology might have been weird. But then again, it actually would have been nice seeing Colin apologize for beating him up at the same time Ephram was attempting to say he was sorry for what was going on with Amy. If you look at that scene and read the words and nonverbal communication, Ephram was slightly trying to apologize and Colin stopped him. There was a lot going on in that scene for sure. Colin apologizing to Ephram in a prior scene and then having the final scene remain the same would have worked though.
I really like your take on that scene. I'll be looking forward to seeing it again.

I still have some episode commentaries that I wrote when Everwood was on, but I'm writing these rewatch commentaries from a fresh standpoint, and when I compare what I wrote then to what I'm writing now, I feel like I'm putting more into my commentaries now and viewing the show with a fresh perspective. I'm really glad that we're doing this rewatch.

Old 02-24-2021, 05:01 PM
Fan Forum Legend

Moderator of ...
Everwood

Quote:
I really like your take on that scene. I'll be looking forward to seeing it again.

I still have some episode commentaries that I wrote when Everwood was on, but I'm writing these rewatch commentaries from a fresh standpoint, and when I compare what I wrote then to what I'm writing now, I feel like I'm putting more into my commentaries now and viewing the show with a fresh perspective. I'm really glad that we're doing this rewatch.
Me too.

The show is so high-quality and layered, you can watch just one scene in one episode and produce heavy analysis. It is so great. Everwood was a gem. They simply don’t make series like Everwood anymore. We were so lucky.
Reply   Post New Thread