Old 02-07-2021, 12:30 AM
Fan Forum Legend

Moderator of ...
Everwood

2021-2023 Everwood Rewatch: Episode 1.05 - Deer God

Rewatch Overview

Deer God

SUMMARY

The Browns get "robbed" by a deer. Dr Abbott is the recipient of a Colorado award and wants to show off. Ephram decides to hike and bring back the deer to a wildlife reserve, because he identifies with it. Andy goes with him. Delia starts a quest to see if God really exists. Meanwhile, Ephram finally admits to Amy that he never asked his father to consider operating on her boyfriend, Colin, who is in a coma; Ephram finally asks his father if he can take a look at Colin.

SEASON

EPISODE

AIR DATE
October 14, 2002

WRITER
Michael Green

DIRECTOR
Arlene Sanford
jediwands is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2021, 07:33 AM
Fan Forum Legend

Moderator of ...
Everwood

Outstanding episode. Michael Green certainly got this one right. Then again, he never misses.

I loved the Ephram/Amy flirty banter. How adorable whenever she calls him "ham." Too cute. Good Lord, I adore this pairing. Scorching chemistry.

I enjoyed the Harold/Amy scenes. We see their bond once again. I loved when Amy tells Harold he has a boy-crush on Andy. Priceless. Harold and Amy's story of Harold being a completely obsessive crazy man is also the perfect comedic balance to the episode. Everwood does it best when it balances both comedy and drama.

Edna/Delia interaction was so sweet. I loved how in Edna, Delia is growing close to a Grandmother-type. I can't tell you how much I enjoy this relationship. Delia's reason for wanting to know about God is heartbreaking: Edna: "And if there's no heaven..." Delia:"..Then where's my mom?" I have always been saddened by the lack of Edna/Delia throughout the series. They really built a solid foundation for a relationship between these two in Season 1, but never took full advantage later on in the series.

The storyline involving Andy/Ephram was powerful stuff. I love seeing Andy's ego blow up in his face as it does here when his directions prove to be wrong. Ephram's jerky towards Andy but I was less annoyed in this one due to what Ephram was experiencing. You could sense the strain in their relationship in every way possible. I like that Ephram had to see what he's hanging on to, hanging on to New York, it finally resonated. I also like that we see him as a boy and Andy comforting him. What a moment. He's just a little boy here hanging on to something that is no longer there. Ephram's breakdown was absolutely heartbreaking. Greg Smith acted the hell out of that scene. He was amazing. I could feel every emotion running through Ephram.

The last scene between Ephram/Amy was beautiful. Ephram, pouring his heart out for Amy was fabulous. Ephram allows himself to be so vulnerable with Amy and there's a reason for it... their connection. He trusts, has faith in, adores, his connection to Amy. Ephram only allows himself to open up to Amy, no one else. I love it so much. In this scene for Amy, to go from flirting/teasing him to being entirely serious, as you could see her think about Colin but then start to immediately shift and think about Ephram, (and how she is realizing that she cares very deeply about this purple-haired boy that just adores her) was such powerful stuff. Emily was pure brilliance. Whenever Amy tells Ephram "okay" and quietly shuts the door, and the music comes on, I thought it was such a lovely ending. The song was incredibly fitting. Great, great song and amazing ending as Ephram is walking away from the Abbott house. I mean, look at the flaws already in the Ephram/Amy relationship? Amy initially wanted Ephram's help with Colin which is why she tracked him down in the first place (even if she instantly started liking him), Ephram lied to Amy and told her he asked Andy when in fact he hadn't yet, her friends and brother dislike him, but it doesn't matter in the least bit that there are obstacles. They are connected, they are emotionally ALL IN with each other and they know it... faults and all.

- I love Andy's "Get Outta Here" to the deer, because it sounds very New York.

- The scenery is breathtaking throughout the entire episode.

- I don't think it is a coincidence Berlanti featured deer in this episode. He understood how gentle, spiritual, and majestic this animal is. Deer perfectly fit beautifully with the main theme of this classic episode.

Quote:
Andy: What is that out front?
Ephram: Doe, a deer. A female deer.
Quote:
Delia: My mom used to talk to God in a Synagogue. Maybe we could go to one?
Edna: The nearest Synagogue's two hours away. Maybe we could talk to God someplace local. How about the video store? We can rent The Chosen.
Quote:
Ephram: I'm pretty sure the trail follows the creek, but check the map.
Andy: No, left.
Ephram: Sure?
Andy: I used to navigate people's frontal lobes Ephram, I think I can follow directions.
Quote:
Ephram: [to Amy] I haven't made anything for myself here... except you.

Last edited by jediwands; 02-07-2021 at 07:55 AM
Old 02-07-2021, 07:41 AM
Fan Forum Legend

Moderator of ...
Everwood

Old 02-07-2021, 08:02 AM
Fan Forum Hero

My thoughts on the episode.....

1. Yay! The Pinecone! Sorry, Ephram, it's no NY Times, but you can get free skate sharpening.
  2. Andy with the umbrella... Stay Back!! It may have a gun!!
  3. Poor Andy does not know how to run a household. He really should give that job to Delia! Then they'd have milk and juice.
  4. Yum....Nina's cookies. WIsh she was my neighbor.
  5. Awe....Ephram can really relate to this adorable deer.
  6. Mazilla is a creep no matter what his issues are.
  7. Miss Violet..."Your People.." So rude and condescending.
  8. Amy can't stay away from Ephram. Too bad she's always asking his help on how to please Colin.
  9. Ephram is so sexy when he's protective. He's not letting anyone harm that deer.
  10. A doe..a deer...a female deer.
  11. Uh Oh....new boots. That can't be good.
  12. Harold is such a braggart.
  13. Andy is looking forward to his time with Ephram even if it means hiking up a mountain.
  14. Edna would rather talk about where babies come from than talk about God.
  15. Harold is so vane and so competitive with Andy. lol Uh Oh...Andy won't see the article! That defeats the whole purpose.
  16. I don't think they should be going downhill up the mountain.
  17. Stop being rude, Ephram. Listen and talk to you dad.
  18. Poor Delia wants to know that her mom is someplace.
  19. Shut up, Ephram!! Enough! Listen to your dad. You're 15 and he's an adult. He knows stuff that you don't know.
  20. Andy and Ephram's campfire chats...make them so open with each other. They should set up a campfire in their home!
  21. Not a very clear explanation of the existence of God. Poor Delia.
  22. Listen to your dad, Amy. Go out and live your life....preferrably with Ephram.
  23. Andy and Ephram made it! Oh No! Forest fire. Poor Ephram is heartbroken. Nice analogy...burnt trees are Ephram's old home in NY. He can't go back, and must find a new home. They did find the deer a new home. Ephram: "It's okay when everything sucks. At least you're somewhere."
  24. Love the Andy & Ephram sofa chats as well. The two of them should stick to sofas and campfires!
  25. Harold is letting his 15 year old daughter go to a Kegger??
  26. Uh Oh, Harold. The future felon is at your door. Ephram, you really should vomit...that would serve Harold right!
  27. Ephram got it out....Okay....Okay. All is good!
everwoodfan52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2021, 08:03 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auror (View Post)

Two knockouts!! Beautiful rapport!
everwoodfan52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2021, 09:39 AM
Fan Forum Legend

Moderator of ...
Everwood

Quote:
Originally Posted by everwoodfan52 (View Post)
Two knockouts!! Beautiful rapport!
Love this interaction so much. Like I said, the Deer is such a Spiritual, Majestic, beautiful animal. Berlanti didn't insert this Deer storyline just because... he did his homework and understood the significance of Deer. Deer Antlers even have a Spiritual significance... the antlers are "in touch" with Heaven, the Other Side many believe, there's an Energetic connection. Berlanti chose the Doe in this storyline to represent a maternal, loving Energy. Not a coincidence.

So beautiful.
Old 02-07-2021, 09:47 AM
Fan Forum Legend

Moderator of ...
Everwood

Quote:
Originally Posted by everwoodfan52 (View Post)
My thoughts on the episode.....

Yay! The Pinecone! Sorry, Ephram, it's no NY Times, but you can get free skate sharpening.
I love The Introduction to The Pinecone.

Quote:
[*]Andy with the umbrella... Stay Back!! It may have a gun!!

Quote:
[*]Poor Andy does not know how to run a household. He really should give that job to Delia! Then they'd have milk and juice.[*]Yum....Nina's cookies. WIsh she was my neighbor.
Poor Delia keeping inventory. LOL. Need OJ and Milk!

I know, those cookies look delicious.

Andy using ice cream as a coffee creamer was the best, haha.

Quote:
[*]Awe....Ephram can really relate to this adorable deer.
I love it.

Quote:
[*]Mazilla is a creep no matter what his issues are.
LOL.

Quote:
[*]Miss Violet..."Your People.." So rude and condescending.
... and the current state of the radicalized GOP at the moment, which is so sad.

Quote:
[*]Amy can't stay away from Ephram. Too bad she's always asking his help on how to please Colin.[*]Ephram is so sexy when he's protective. He's not letting anyone harm that deer.[*]A doe..a deer...a female deer. [*]Uh Oh....new boots. That can't be good.[*]Harold is such a braggart.[*]Andy is looking forward to his time with Ephram even if it means hiking up a mountain.[*]Edna would rather talk about where babies come from than talk about God.[*]Harold is so vane and so competitive with Andy. lol Uh Oh...Andy won't see the article! That defeats the whole purpose.[*]I don't think they should be going downhill up the mountain.[*]Stop being rude, Ephram. Listen and talk to you dad.[*]Poor Delia wants to know that her mom is someplace.[*]Shut up, Ephram!! Enough! Listen to your dad. You're 15 and he's an adult. He knows stuff that you don't know.[*]Andy and Ephram's campfire chats...make them so open with each other. They should set up a campfire in their home![*]Not a very clear explanation of the existence of God. Poor Delia.[*]Listen to your dad, Amy. Go out and live your life....preferrably with Ephram.[*]Andy and Ephram made it! Oh No! Forest fire. Poor Ephram is heartbroken. Nice analogy...burnt trees are Ephram's old home in NY. He can't go back, and must find a new home. They did find the deer a new home. Ephram: "It's okay when everything sucks. At least you're somewhere."[*]Love the Andy & Ephram sofa chats as well. The two of them should stick to sofas and campfires![*]Harold is letting his 15 year old daughter go to a Kegger??[*]Uh Oh, Harold. The future felon is at your door. Ephram, you really should vomit...that would serve Harold right![*]Ephram got it out....Okay....Okay. All is good!
Excellent thoughts!
Old 02-07-2021, 09:49 AM
Fan Forum Legend

Moderator of ...
Everwood

I am presently rewatching the episode (twice in 3 hours, not bad, haha) and will add a few more thoughts along the way shortly! I like being Capricorn thorough. LOL.

My Second Watch

Coming soon!
Old 02-07-2021, 11:43 AM
Fan Forum Legend

Moderator of ...
Everwood

My Second Watch
  1. The Everwood Pinecone Introduction.
  2. That Doe is gorgeous. Awe. My literal Spirit Animal. At the end of the episode Amy even mentioned Spirit Animal, haha.
  3. Love how Nina just casually walks in showing she’s naturally becoming a close friend of the Brown family.
  4. Ephram’s connection to the Doe is special.
  5. The God conversation between the three (Magilla, Arnie and Delia) at school is cute even if Magilla is being blunt and dumb.
  6. Horrible teacher moron (she’s part of the current GOP, had to say it ) is back to being awful. Telling that cute red-haired boy to sit with the girls (maybe because his family is poor ) then blaming Delia is... gross. Honestly, this teacher is making fun of Delia being half-Jewish. Your people, The Hanukkah, Your people don’t believe in Christ, chased out of land, “again.” Witch. Is she related to... Marjorie Taylor Greene? Between her worshipping Ronald Reagan (picture on her wall) and amazingly we just talked about Reagan being the start of the GOP failure as it turned darker... then we see the stupid teacher playing the part we have seen with this GOP... it’s like Berlanti was psychic and understood the future of the GOP. Incredible.
  7. Oh Ephram, quit thinking girls do not like comics too and only girly things.
  8. Ham. Such a cute nickname.
  9. I love Louise.
  10. Ephram refusing to let the gun loving hunter who basically said the Doe was going to be killed take her is precious... Ephram’s my hero.
  11. Delia and God.
  12. That Doe is...
  13. The second Irv heard Andy had a new pair of boots it was all over. LOL.
  14. Oh Harold and his award.
  15. Such beautiful nature.
  16. I love how Edna calls Delia Private.
  17. Edna’s South comment =
  18. The music as they’re hiking is so perfect. LOL.
  19. Amy’s crush comment to Harold is always perfection.
  20. If Ephram thinks he could have successfully gone on that hike without Andy...
  21. Delia: Where’s my mom?

22. Their campfire talk is great. All their campfire scenes are wonderful.
  23. It’s subtle but notice when Andy/Ephram are bonding and the conversation ends the camera pans to the Doe. Doe is maternal. I almost feel like in that moment she represents Julia watching over father/son.
  24. Edna and Delia on their little trip.. so cute and their music is perfect too.
  25. I like the Harold and Amy conversation about Colin and wanting her to have a life. I just kind of wish he would have gone with her sort of like Andy went with Ephram on the hike. I do think it’s unhealthy and depressing Amy goes on her own to talk to her childhood crush who is in a coma. She really should have support when she’s there even if Bright, Harold, and Rose took turns going with her.
  26. Delia loves when Edna yells. Got it. Edna finds such a brilliant way of reaching Delia about Julia by bringing up Harold Sr. Perfect.
  27. Greg as Ephram’s breaking down... Phenomenal.
  28. The Ephram/Andy embrace and Ephram wanting to go back/go home, be with his family... yes, hit HOME for me personally, big time. *wipes tears*
  29. Ephram saying goodbye to the Doe... more tears.
  30. Music and Scenery continues to shine.
  31. Couch scene... Andy/Ephram, another terrific moment. Ephram finally asked Andy about Colin. This changed everything... like a new chapter.
  32. I just thought of something... I wonder why Andy wasn’t curious about Colin’s condition in general even before Ephram asked him to look at Colin. I know he was trying to move on as a family physician but it would be like me stumbling upon an abnormal/neuropsychological case or something Intuitive... I’d naturally want to investigate.
  33. Control trait is a Brown one.
  34. Delia’s HI to Andy is the most adorable thing ever. :love.
  35. Harold saying no plans to expand the practice is total foreshadowing of an eventual team up with Andy. Berlanti did plan storylines in advance. We've seen this multiple times and we've only watched 5 episodes of the series.
  36. Amy leaving the photo and note for her dad was adorable.
  37. Andy/Delia conversation/cuddling on the couch and the Julia story insinuating God is never a coincidence is the best.
  38. Harold and Ephram encounter at the door. Be nice, Harold, that’s your future son-in-law.
  39. Last Ephramy scene = amazing. Greg/Emily chemistry is... magical.
  40. A lot of people think that Amy shutting the door was cold or rude… not me. Just the opposite. Notice her disappointment when she found out Ephram didn’t ask Andy all this time BUT then notice her reaction after Ephram told her she was his Home. She was overwhelmed with emotion! She was bursting with so much emotion she couldn’t process it. She figures in her mind if she's "decent and faithful" she should only care about helping Colin at this time, but when Ephram said Amy was his home she was emotionally overwhelmed. Emily is so brilliant conveying Amy's emotional devastation/both good and bad, without a word.
  41. Ephram picking up The Pinecone. He feels Home. Awe.
  42. This series is like no other.

Last edited by jediwands; 02-07-2021 at 12:16 PM
Old 02-07-2021, 05:09 PM
Administrator

I thought that this was one of the best and most emotionally powerful episodes of this show so far as it touched on the themes of faith, and loss and the sad realization that you can’t go back no matter how much you may want to.

I liked hearing about the history of the Everwood Pinecone, “Everwood’s own bastion of journalistic integrity and chowder recipes,” and the role it played in the town.

It was funny to see Andy go after a possible intruder with an umbrella, but that intruder turned out to be a lost deer “who might have a gun”, and that deer set the tone for the rest of the episode as Andy and Ephram embarked on a journey to bring the doe home.

The deer was adorable, and I like how Ephram bonded with her saying “You a little lost? Tell me about it.”

I liked how Delia talked about her faith in God, but Magilla was cruel when he dismissed what she said by saying that God wasn’t real, and I didn’t like her teacher’s condescending attitude towards her religion as she sneeringly explained Hanukkah to her, as she mentioned how a lamp that was supposed burn for one day burned for eight days, and Delia embarked on her own journey in this episode to prove that God was real. I liked the scene between Edna and Irv when she said that a babysitter’s job was to make sure that the kid doesn’t die, that’s all, and Irv said “She a kid, not a grenade.”

I liked seeing Ephram’s concern for the deer in their yard as he realized that the Game Warden was going to take it to a hunting range where it was sure to meet a certain death during the upcoming hunting season, and it was nice to see the kind heart that lay underneath all of his anger and teenage angst. I was glad that Andy agreed to let Ephram bring the deer home and go with him, even though Ephram wanted to go alone.

It was amusing to see Harold bribe Amy to write a testimonial for the award that Harold received so it could be featured in the Everwood Pinecone, so he could have the pleasure of showing Andy up by mentioning the “double piercing” that she wanted to get, and I especially loved the scene between Harold and Amy as, after finding out that Andy was going to be out of town, she helped him throwaway that day’s run of the Pinecone so it would come out when Andy got back, and I loved it when Amy told Harold “You so have a boy crush on him” when Harold obsessively talked about wanting to see the expression on Andy’s face when he read the article featuring him in the Pinecone. I also loved the scene between Harold and Amy when he told her that he never wanted to see her feel guilty for having a life and Colin was never so happy as when she was laughing, showing how close this father and daughter were.

Magilla had really hurt Delia when he cast aspersions on her notions of God, and she asked a babysitting Edna about God, and Edna said that God and her had a “don’t ask, don’t tell” relationship, but she agreed to help a sad and forlorn Delia get some answers about God. It was sad when Delia said that her mother used to go to Synagogue to talk to God, and my heart broke for Delia when she said “I want to know about God because if there’s no God, there’s no Heaven, and Edna answered “And if there’s no heaven. . . . Delia said “Then where’s my Mom?”

In a recurring pattern in this show, Ephram and Andy’s relationship veered from renewed open hostility and resentment from Ephram to breakthrough moments of understanding between them, as Ephram cruelly told him he was “fired” and Andy admitted that he tried to control everything and that it was an instinct that he developed for surgery but that same instinct, which served him so well as a surgeon and allowed him to do miraculous things, made him mess up everything in his life.

I liked how Edna brought Delia to see an Army Chaplain, but he didn’t give her any understandable answer about the existence of God, and Delia looked so lost and confused.

I liked how Edna talked about her late husband and how she drove herself nuts wondering if he was still around and she realized that he was, and that Delia’s quest to find God was a quest to find her mother, and her mother was still around and she was in Delia.

It was so heartbreaking when Ephram and Andy found the deer’s home, but it was gone, destroyed in a fire, and I cried when Andy told Ephram that Julia was gone and that they can’t go back, and Ephram broke down and cried “I just want to go back,” as they tearfully embraced.

I loved it when Ephram talked to the deer and I loved it when he said “It’s okay when everything sucks, it means you’re somewhere,” and it was sweet when the deer looked back at him. Ephram and Andy had accomplished their mission of saving that deer’s life, and while I’d like to say that this episode represented a breakthrough for them, unfortunately, we know that it really wasn’t.

I liked how Delia equated the fact that Edna and her being able to complete their journey home by “running on fumes for 80 miles” after they had run out of gas to the feast of Hanukkah which commemorated a lamp that only had enough oil to burn for one day burned for eight days.

I liked the final scene where Ephram confessed to Amy that he didn’t ask Andy to take a look at Colin and possibly operate on him because he was afraid of losing her, but now he had asked Andy to take a look at him and he had agreed to look at him, but Amy, shocked and hurt, just said “okay” and closed the door on him, and the shot of Ephram looking away was sad. One thing about Ephram’s confession really struck me as I also talk fast when I’m nervous, and I could relate to his fear of losing Amy.

Overall, I thought that this was one of the best episodes of this season so far.

There are those who look at things the way they are and ask why - I dream of things that never were and ask why not. - Robert F. Kennedy
Jerry D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2021, 05:21 PM
Fan Forum Legend

Moderator of ...
Everwood

^ Brilliant thoughts, Jerry.
Old 02-07-2021, 05:49 PM
Fan Forum Legend

Moderator of ...
Everwood

Since this thread has been pretty slow today I’ll post a few more pictures: