Old 01-10-2021, 05:29 AM
Fan Forum Legend

Moderator of ...
Everwood

2021-2023 Everwood Rewatch: Episode 1.01 - Pilot

Rewatch Overview

Pilot

SUMMARY

After his wife is killed in a car accident, Dr. Andrew Brown (Treat Williams) moves his 15-year-old son, Ephram (Gregory Smith), and 9-year-old daughter, Delia (Vivien Cardone), to the idyllic environs of Everwood to make a new start.

In the opener, the relocation sparks harsh words and hurt feelings between the emotionally distant father and his neglected son, despite Andrew's attempts to reconnect with the teen. The good doctor also runs afoul of the town's only other physician, Dr. Harold Abbott, when he decides to open his own practice---right across the street from his rival's office.

SEASON

EPISODE

AIR DATE
September 16, 2002

WRITER
Greg Berlanti

DIRECTOR
Mark Piznarski

Last edited by jediwands; 01-13-2023 at 08:52 PM
jediwands is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2021, 05:32 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Thanks, Michelle!!
everwoodfan52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2021, 05:33 AM
Fan Forum Legend

Moderator of ...
Everwood

Welcome!
Old 01-10-2021, 05:45 AM
Fan Forum Hero

My thoughts on the Pilot.....
  • I agree that Andy is very handsome at the beginning of the episode (in a pretty way), but he was Hot with his scruffy hair and beard. Much better for me! lol
  • Loved the reference to NJ....NJ has the best...lol
  • No Jacob and Ruth at the funeral...oh well..
  • I noticed for the first time that Julia's perfume led Andy to the train station..that was her memory as a child when stopping off in Everwood.
  • I love that both Andy and Ephram were introduced to their one and only at the beginning of the episode...you just knew and rooted for them from the very beginning..
  • Al Green will never be the same for me again...
  • Nina seemed to really like Carl and only said nice things about him. Poor woman had no clue.
  • Ephram's tactic of humor to defuse conflict is great...he's no wimp and really impressed Amy out there!
  • Someone needs to buy Ephram a warmer jacket and gloves. I don't get it...NY winters are not exactly warm.
  • I couldn't get over how young Ephram and Amy looked...Amy was a baby!
  • Harold and Andy's exchanges were a riot...love Harold's one liners...:USS Wacko... Andy is so Cool and gives it right back. I loved their relationship from the beginning and looked forward to more of the same.
  • I just loved the ending...Andy remembered Julia's advice to ask Ephram about his day and it worked! I missed hearing Ephram play the Piano...so beautiful. Delia just wanted to move on and have a normal family life..."I'll just go and get the fine China."
  • It's interesting that meeting Colin led Ephram back to playing...

Random thought....How did Amy and Ephram get all the way to Denver? Neither one drives yet. Bus?

Last edited by everwoodfan52; 01-10-2021 at 05:51 AM
Old 01-10-2021, 06:35 AM
Fan Forum Legend

Moderator of ...
Everwood

Thoughts while watching:

- Even the opening music with Irv's voice entering gives me chills. The Energy this show brings is magical.

- Delia's hat, it is her trademark look. I love how much she's into talking sports and even sticks up for New Jersey when her arrogant cocky Manhattan father rips the state.

- The Andy/Ephram tension is immediate. I love how Berlanti makes sure this main theme is perfectly established from the start.

- Andy, of course is so cocky and blunt with his dying patients.

- You can clearly see how much Julia doubts Andy as he says he won't be late. You can see there's struggles and issues between Andy/Julia and of course, Andy/Ephram. At the same time, you see the love between Andy and Julia. They love each other no matter what, you can see and feel it.

- It makes the scene where you find out Julia dies all the more dark and profound. In perfect Everwood style, it goes DARK, pitch black, dark, as you find out Julia tragically dies. I remember watching this scene for the very first time and having an uneasy feeling in my stomach. Berlanti wants you to know from the start his show is going to have some wit and fun but darkness is also going to circle, hover, maintain no matter what. He establishes this right away.

- I am looking at the clock/time when it is reported Julia died... 2 minutes and 40 seconds. Only 2:40, and we are already interested/care about these characters.... Julia was only alive for us to see her for 2 minutes and 40 seconds but we already care. Only this show.

- The funeral looks a bit small given all the people the family had to have known, but it might have been for immediate and close extended family.

- Treat looks very good without the beard. I do not like beards. So I prefer Treat without the beard, no doubt. For Andy, though, the beard suits him. He gets super down to earth with that beard, I can't explain it but I do feel the difference even if I think Treat looks a million times better without the beard.

- Andy's words to that dying patient/man were profound. By the way, Hershey, Pennsylvania, rocks. LOL. I used to go there as a little girl on road trips with family as it was only 3 hours away from where my mom's side all grew up in beautiful western Pennsylvania.

- Andy says they were moving and brings Delia's vote along with the horse comment... why didn't he say that someone who told him about Everwood was their amazing mother?! Man, he should have told them, it would have lessened the blow. From Andy's point of view, it's beautiful, and we find out later this person is Julia but Ephram and Delia do not know this at the time.

- As I listen to the music while looking at the mountains I envision the Browns traveling to Everwood which means, Andy is getting that much closer to Nina and Ephram is getting that much closer to Amy.

- I feel every bit of this show, so strongly. It is incredible. I have never felt so much about any other show before.

- I love how the running joke about Andy's horrible cooking starts immediately.

- Awe, Delia is already trying to adjust with the Colorado Rockies baseball hat. I should have sent her a Colorado Avalanche hockey hat since they're pretty cool, too.

- Andy giving Delia a 50 dollar bill for lunch!

Oh, Andy, I love you but you're so damn clueless. Haha.

- Vivien shines as little Delia. I remember wondering during my first watch who on earth this amazing little actress was.

- Delia meeting Irv for the first time was priceless. Matter of fact, how cool is it that Irv and Delia were the first two to connect? Awesome.

- Ephram telling Andy it's about 10 years too late. Ouch. I love how Ephram drives away on his bike in the snow. Andy then immediately has his first moment with Nina. Awe. Is it dumb that I feel Ephram pedaling his bike closer and closer to Amy?

- Ephram fast talking, putting those kids in their place at school was so awesome. You can also clearly see the difference between small and large town in this scene.

- Ephram and Amy's first meeting! CHEMISTRY. Greg/Emily, their chemistry is immediate.

- I know Amy is playing him there but I still love it, because you see the Greg/Emily chemistry and no matter what Amy is doing, she is feeling drawn towards Ephram from the start. I love how she tells him she likes his hair. LOL.

- I love the meeting between Andy and Brenda Baxworth. What a magical scene when Andy goes out into the street because... the perfume. I think this was Berlanti's way to show us Julia was there "with" them and Andy's heart and spirit are totally connected to her. I feel like Andy smelling Julia's perfume (spirits can get your attention like that, big time) was a way to guide him over to the Train Depot building which was much better suited to be his practice location. Amazing, that is this show.

- Did you also notice the connection where Ephram told Andy he was 10 years too late and then Baxworth says the Train Depot was shut down 10 years ago... Berlanti's way of showing Andy literally "starting over" with Ephram, making up for those 10 years lost.

- Oh Harold and his very conservative, traditional ways. I still love him, haha.

- The Ephram/Amy Al Green scene was sizzling as Greg/Emily made it that way with their unstoppable chemistry. Ephram thinks so since he was doing laundry.

- I love this scene:

Quote:
Andy: I'm making pancakes, do you want some?

Ephram: Go to hell!

Andy: That's my boy!

- Andy and Harold = the best male pairing in history of everything.

- Awe, the Ephram/Amy mountain scene where Amy shows Ephram, her future husband, "their" town. Chemistry, chemistry, chemistry.

- Bright looks like such a thug watching Amy and Ephram. I love how Amy puts him in his place. It is fun seeing Bright here considering how much he eventually evolves. His transformation from the Pilot to the end is so much fun to watch.

- Introduction to Edna on her motorcycle is about as good as it gets.

- The women on this show are strong, independent, awesome and colorful. Delia and her hats, Edna and her motorcycle is as good as it gets.

- Piano, the character is introduced. So perfect.

- The Julia moment is so profound. She caused the beard, she caused his motivation to change and become a great father. Julia, deep down, knew her time on earth was not that long, there is no other way to state it. How could she have known she needed to say so much to Andy that would make sense later? Deep down, subconsciously, she knew she had to say these things because he was going to be alone and she had to prepare him.

- The visions, oh the visions. This show takes something so corny and makes it real. Andy talking to his dead wife could have been the worst part about the Pilot since it possibly went too far, but it turns out to be one of the very best parts. It's deeply heartbreaking, especially when Delia sees Andy dancing with Julia, but he's all alone. Yet, no matter what you believe about the Afterlife and what goes on there, you never actually think of Andy as insane. So many mock his sanity throughout the episode, but I don't think any viewer thinks Andy is having actual psychological issues, since it all seems to be a spiritual crisis and a healing he is going through. You sympathize with him and connect through these visions, as they draw you to him. I just think it's so uniquely Everwood to be able to go there.

- The distraught heart talk Irv gives Delia is such a great scene.

- Bright had no right making the comment about Ephram's mom dying. He sucks and is so horrible there. I am happy Amy stuck up for Ephram. Bright should have been punched repeatedly for being so cruel.

- I also love that Ephram calls Andy out. He's being nice to everyone, trying to be friends with his son, trying to be this all around amazing guy, when he's distraught and hurt and lonely and has no idea what he's doing. He's got this idea of what it is to be a father, and he's just trying to play act the idea at this point, but Ephram won't have it. He calls him out for being nothing more than a performance in the fight scene. When Andy talks about Julia being the perfect parent, he's trying to do that, but he can't. It's all an act even if the intentions are good, it is not real and genuine yet and Ephram knows it. Poor Ephram and poor Andy, they are both struggling so much. Of course, Nina is right there viewing everything. The acting between Treat and Greg is something else. As Ephram stumbles to get on the bike, my heart sinks.

Quote:
Nina: Want a cup of coffee?

Andy: Only if it's spiked.
- I love how Everwood intertwines drama and comedy. We just saw THE scene of the episode between Andy and Ephram which provides the main theme of the series and as it has us shaking in our boots, we get that immediate funny scene between Andy/Nina. Only Everwood integrates the drama/comedy so perfectly.

- Here is the famous Ephram and Amy hospital scene looking at Colin so helpless in the hospital bed. I love how Amy immediately apologizes to Ephram for hurting his feelings and not telling him right away. You can see the caring she already has for Ephram, it is apparent she is not just using him even if she immediately had motivation. She cares for him, she makes that clear, she apologizes. What a great scene.

- What a great revelation showing the Andy/Julia flashback where Julia talks to him about Everwood. They were so in love no matter what else was going on in their lives.

- How Andy embraces Delia, his little daughter, was so moving. You can feel Andy needing Delia's hug so very much.

- And there Ephram plays and plays and the piano becomes an even more vivid character. Andy does a better job of talking to him and that beautiful father/son moment takes place while Irv's words are so perfectly conveyed.

I just keep coming back to how dark this episode is and how dark the story is as a whole. It's not a typical family drama, and this episode, given how dark it really is, proves that. The Browns start from the very bottom. You want to instantly cheer for Andy and Ephram, you see there's a huge story developing between Ephram and Amy. There is so much to cheer for but you know no matter what, it is going to be a long, dark ride with very realistic moments and stories.

Everwood Pilot... there is nothing better on the screen, past, present and future.

Last edited by jediwands; 01-10-2021 at 06:43 AM
Old 01-10-2021, 06:56 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Super detailed thoughts and analysis as usual, Michelle!

Quote:
- Andy, of course is so cocky and blunt with his dying patients.
Definitely cocky and so filled with arrogance and confidence...just the kind surgeon you'd want.

Quote:
You can clearly see how much Julia doubts Andy as he says he won't be late. You can see there's struggles and issues between Andy/Julia and of course, Andy/Ephram. At the same time, you see the love between Andy and Julia. They love each other no matter what, you can see and feel it.
She's been there done that so many times! She knew his faults, but it was so evident that she really loved him.

Quote:
Treat looks very good without the beard. I do not like beards. So I prefer Treat without the beard, no doubt. For Andy, though, the beard suits him. He gets super down to earth with that beard, I can't explain it but I do feel the difference even if I think Treat looks a million times better without the beard.
It's definitely a matter of taste. I normally don't like beards, but on Andy.....

-
Quote:
Andy's words to that dying patient/man were profound. By the way, Hershey, Pennsylvania, rocks. LOL. I used to go there as a little girl on road trips with family as it was only 3 hours away from where my mom's side all grew up in beautiful western Pennsylvania.
I took my kids there when they were young...great Amusement Park. Hey...maybe this guy would run into Christian Pulisic!

Quote:
Bright had no right making the comment about Ephram's mom dying. He sucks and is so horrible there. I am happy Amy stuck up for Ephram. Bright should have been punched repeatedly for being so cruel.

I couldn't stand Bright in the beginning...definitely an insensitive bully. I don't know why he blamed Ephram when it was Amy who was playing him. Ephram was innocent in this.
I can't believe how much I grew to love Bright.

-
Quote:
And there Ephram plays and plays and the piano becomes an even more vivid character. Andy does a better job of talking to him and that beautiful father/son moment takes place while Irv's words are so perfectly conveyed.
I honestly thought that this scene was the beginning of better times for these two, but it definitely wasn't.
Old 01-10-2021, 08:08 AM
Fan Forum Legend

Moderator of ...
Everwood

Quote:
Originally Posted by everwoodfan52
No Jacob and Ruth at the funeral...oh well..
Odd. I guess Berlanti didn’t know if the series was taking off so he focused only on the first episode.

Quote:
Nina seemed to really like Carl and only said nice things about him. Poor woman had no clue.
Seems the Town sort of brainwashed Nina she was meant to be with Carl just like Amy was brainwashed she was meant to be with Colin.

Quote:
Ephram's tactic of humor to defuse conflict is great...he's no wimp and really impressed Amy out there!
Probably a combination of both Andy and Julia... Andy’s boldness and Julia’s ability to read a room. Love it too.

Quote:
It's interesting that meeting Colin led Ephram back to playing...
Such a good point.

Quote:
Random thought....How did Amy and Ephram get all the way to Denver? Neither one drives yet. Bus?
Haha. Bus or Train... or magically flying there.
Old 01-10-2021, 08:19 AM
Fan Forum Legend

Moderator of ...
Everwood

Quote:
Originally Posted by everwoodfan52 (View Post)
Super detailed thoughts and analysis as usual, Michelle!
Thanks!

As always, your thoughts are great.

Quote:
She's been there done that so many times! She knew his faults, but it was so evident that she really loved him.
Very true.

Quote:
I took my kids there when they were young...great Amusement Park. Hey...maybe this guy would run into Christian Pulisic!

Quote:
I couldn't stand Bright in the beginning...definitely an insensitive bully. I don't know why he blamed Ephram when it was Amy who was playing him. Ephram was innocent in this.
I can't believe how much I grew to love Bright.
Agreed. Bright is so over the top which I’m sure was due to Berlanti wanting us to feel the twist with Bright and his guilt over the accident all the more. However, he was just so cruel. Seems he felt like Colin’s bodyguard. The only good thing I like about it is that Bright feels immediately Ephram is a threat due to the immediate Ephram/Amy connection.
Old 01-10-2021, 09:04 AM
Administrator

It was such a pleasure to watch this wonderful show as we start from the very beginning. Everyone looked so young, and we got to meet all the characters that we would grow to know and love in the four seasons that this show was on. We also got to see “live” the scenes that were used in the opening shots of each episode as this episode laid the groundwork for everything that was to come. We got to see Andy and his family in New York, as Andy lived the life of a successful neurosurgeon who was too busy and involved with his profession to spend any time with his family, and we saw how his wife Julia and their son Ephram resented his workaholic ways while their daughter Delia was too young to harbor the same feelings of resentment.

We saw that Andy was completely absorbed in his work and he missed Ephram’s piano recital that he was supposed to attend with Julia, and he told her to go ahead without him, which set up the tragic accident that took Julia’s life, setting him and his family on a journey that he never expected to take. It was so painful to see Andy receive the news that Julia had died and seeing Ephram’s stricken face at Julia’s grave was so heartbreaking.

We got to see that Andy was a completely changed man after Julia’s death when he told his terminally ill patient to enjoy what was left of his life and go to where he was happy instead of having surgery that would only prolong his life by a few months, and this was a harbinger of all the changes that were to come in his life and in his way of looking at his life.

I felt bad for Ephram as Andy announced that they were moving to Everwood Colorado and he got Delia’s vote for the move by promising her a horse. To be honest, I think that Andy should have revealed then and there why he wanted to pick up stakes and move there, but since he didn’t, Ephram’s anger and resentment soon came to a boiling point.

We got to see Everwood for the first time, and its idyllic setting would set the tone for the rest of the series, and I can only describe it as magical, but the town had its secrets, secrets that we came to know in later episodes.

I liked seeing how sweet Delia was with Andy as opposed to Ephram and it was neat seeing Edna meet Irv, who, as we saw, narrated each episode and set the tone for what was to transpire in those episodes.

I felt bad for Ephram as he was immediately picked on for having purple hair, but I liked seeing Ephram tell off those bullies as he met the girl who would become the love of his life, Amy Abbott. Ephram was immediately smitten with Amy, and although she had an ulterior motive for getting to know him as we learned later in the episode, their chemistry was undeniable.

We got to see that Andy wanted to leave the normal trappings of a medical practice behind as he selected an abandoned train station for his office, to the amazement of his real estate agent/town gossip Brenda Baxworth, and then he made the surprising and unexpected decision to offer his medical services for free, much to the consternation of the town physician Harold Abbott, who immediately saw Andy as a rival and he made sneering remarks at him that reflected his jealousy and resentment toward this famous surgeon from New York. In this episode, it was really hard to like Harold, but in later episodes we got to see different layers to his makeup beneath his haughty and condescending exterior.

I loved seeing the scene where Amy showed Ephram the beautiful scenery of Everwood and they sat on that hill together, and Ephram told her that his father had neglected him but he had to swallow his hurt feelings because his father was “saving lives.” He then asked her why she was being nice to him, because he knew that normally girls like her didn’t talk to guys like him. In that scene, you could sense their immediate connection and rapport even if Amy did have an ulterior motive for getting to know him.

I enjoyed seeing the initial meeting between Andy and Edna as she talked herself into getting a job with him with her forthright and military manner, and we also found out that she had had a falling out with her previous employer, who turned out to be Andy’s rival, and her son.

It was so poignant and sad to see Andy “talk” to his deceased wife Julia as he reminisced about a tender moment between them as his grief overwhelmed him and poor Delia had to witness him talking to Julia as if she were there. I loved the scene where Delia confided to Irv that she felt that her father was sick, and he told her that he had a distraught heart, which was so true.

I hated seeing Bright cruelly bully Ephram setting him up to confront him when he left a note on his locker, but Ephram got in some good zingers when he said that it must have been hard for Bright to imitate feminine cursive, and when Bright replied “That’s my handwriting” Ephram said “oops!” and when he said “His name is Bright? That’s ironic!” Bright was such a mean a vicious bully, and he crossed the line when he said “Some Dad! I’m curious, was he always such a head case or just since your Mom bought it” compelling Ephram to attack him and it took a furious Amy to pull Bright off of him.

It was so hard to watch Ephram and Andy’s confrontation as they both lashed out at each other and years of pent-up anger, resentment and emotion on both sides exploded as they told each other that they hated each other in an emotionally packed scene.

I loved seeing all that tension broken by the scene between Andy and Nina as he told her about Julia being the perfect parent and that he needed to prove to Julia that he could be the kind of doctor and the kind of father that she wanted him to be, and I loved seeing the immediate connection between them. I liked how Andy took a look at Sam and figured it what was wrong with him, and I liked it when he later took down Harold a peg or two when he informed him that he had misdiagnosed Sam’s condition.

We got to see why Edna had a falling out with Harold, as he had adored his father, even if they didn’t get along, and Edna had remarried only two months after Harold Sr. had passed away, fueling the resentment and estrangement between her and Harold that would run through the rest of the series.

It was so touching to see Amy take Ephram to see the comatose Colin as she explained what had happened to him, and she expressed the desire that Ephram’s father could help him, setting the tone for the rest of Season One as she became torn between her loyalty to Colin and her feelings for Ephram.

It was so sad to see Andy look back on his conversation with Julia as she told him about the train ride that she had taken as a child and the stop they made in Everwood, and she told him that if anything happened to her, that’s where she would be. I loved the advice that Julia’s spirit gave to Andy as she told him how to deal with Ephram, and I was glad to see him follow that advice in his final scene with Ephram.

It was so sweet when Delia, having witnessed Andy talk to Julia again, only to see that he was only having an imaginary conversation once again, and she told Andy that he had a distraught heart and he tearfully told her that he loved her.

I loved the final scene between Andy and Ephram at the piano when Andy, having listened to the advice of Julia’s spirit, asked Ephram how his day was, and he replied “I found out that I’m in love with a girl who’s in love with a guy in a coma, but other than that it was pretty steady.” I was glad that Andy and Ephram had a temporary truce and I loved it when Andy complimented Ephram on his piano playing and Ephram said “Mom always said that I had your hands.”

Overall, this had to be the best Pilot Episode of a television show that I’ve ever seen, and I’m looking forward to watching all of these episodes again.

There are those who look at things the way they are and ask why - I dream of things that never were and ask why not. - Robert F. Kennedy
Jerry D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2021, 09:21 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Great thoughts, Jerry!!!

Quote:
We got to see why Edna had a falling out with Harold, as he had adored his father, even if they didn’t get along, and Edna had remarried only two months after Harold Sr. had passed away, fueling the resentment and estrangement between her and Harold that would run through the rest of the series.
This is kind of ironic because I remember (vaguely) a later episode when Edna had difficulty because of deep mourning toward her late husband.
Quote:
I loved seeing the scene where Amy showed Ephram the beautiful scenery of Everwood and they sat on that hill together, and Ephram told her that his father had neglected him but he had to swallow his hurt feelings because his father was “saving lives.” He then asked her why she was being nice to him, because he knew that normally girls like her didn’t talk to guys like him. In that scene, you could sense their immediate connection and rapport even if Amy did have an ulterior motive for getting to know him.
There was a definite connection! That's why I rooted for them...even though I had initially resented Amy because I didn't want Ephram to be hurt. I just rooted because I knew that Ephram was smitten and Amy was definitely the girl for him and I just wanted Ephram to be happy.
Of course....as the series moved along I grew to love Amy and often dislike Ephram!

Quote:
I hated seeing Bright cruelly bully Ephram setting him up to confront him when he left a note on his locker, but Ephram got in some good zingers when he said that it must have been hard for Bright to imitate feminine cursive, and when Bright replied “That’s my handwriting” Ephram said “oops!” and when he said “His name is Bright? That’s ironic!” Bright was such a mean and vicious bully, and he crossed the line when he said “Some Dad! I’m curious, was he always such a head case or just since your Mom bought it” compelling Ephram to attack him and it took a furious Amy to pull Bright off of him.
This cruelty was very very hard to take. It went above and beyond being loyal Colin. This was a huge personality flaw. Bright came a long way to become a sympathetic person with good character.

Quote:
Overall, this had to be the best Pilot Episode of a television show that I’ve ever seen, and I’m looking forward to watching all of these episodes again.
Ditto!!
Old 01-10-2021, 09:39 AM
Dedicated Fan

Everybody has such wonderful thoughts. I don't remember seeing this episode when it aired, but at the same time vaguely remembered Andy and Ephram's fight and Amy showing Colin off to Ephram. So maybe I did see it originally in 2003

What I love about this show is how real everyone felt. From this pilot episode, we already have an understanding of everyone from Andy to Ephram and their relationship (I agree 100% that Andy should've told them it was Julia who "sent" them to Everwood - he really screws up there! C'mon Andy!) to Amy, Edna and her remarriage/family struggles with Harold, Delia, Nina, Harold of course, and even Bright! (Who we know later struggles with guilt/PTSD) Berlanti did a great job of really digging deep into the humanity of all of these characters and without total certainty that the show would be picked up. (I watched a video a few weeks ago where I saw they filmed the pilot in actual Colorado where it was freezing and they had to hustle Delia's character on the bus because it was so cold!)

I agree, Michelle, I am team no beard, but I also think it suits Andy, especially when Ephram basically calls him out for trying to throw himself into his new identity. Also I think this is one of the last times we see Andy not in plaid 24/7. I hope this isn't a spoiler (If it is I'll edit it), but I find it fascinating to see Andy as a workaholic surgeon and contrast it with his own issues with his own father. Generational issues can certainly trickle down. I loved the ending where Ephram is playing piano and I really felt for both of them as he tells Andy, "mom always said I had your hands".

I also love the insight into Julia and Andy's relationship we see in the brief time we see Julia alive. (Fun fact the actress who played Julia went on to play a character in Desperate Housewives, who also was only seen in flashbacks/memories I guess she got typecast) We see her love Andy but also struggle and get frustrated with him. We see the way she really was the glue that stuck everyone in that family together, and it's interesting to ponder what might've happened had she lived (spoilers? idk: when she considered leaving him). Would that also have woken Andy up, or was it really the move to Everwood?

I really felt for Ephram in this episode and ironically felt more annoyed by him as seasons went on . I can't imagine being uprooted Across The Country from everything you've ever known to a random town after your Person dies, but also your dad never telling you it was your Person (mom) who led them there. I know it gets later told, but I just keep thinking how Andy missed the mark completely...and an opportunity to grieve/talk about his wife and his children's mother with Ephram and Delia (but especially Ephram).

The pilot is such a lovely introduction to a wonderful story that isn't totally Stars Hollow, CT (Gilmore Girls), as it's got a bit of darkness in it. We see that through a variety of storylines. I had no idea when I started watching Everwood how brave the show would be in terms of topics, especially for a "family drama".

Gosh, Berlanti hit it out of the park here (a nice baseball reference for Delia )
Old 01-10-2021, 10:00 AM
Administrator

Wonderful thoughts everyone. I love how each of us picks up on certain details of the show. That's why I love coming here and sharing my thoughts and reading everyone else's' thoughts.

There are those who look at things the way they are and ask why - I dream of things that never were and ask why not. - Robert F. Kennedy
Old 01-10-2021, 10:04 AM
Administrator

I saw Andy's visions as more than just seeing Julia's "ghost". In his grief, he was going back to their most intimate conversations, and his memories of those conversations helped him to deal with his grief in the present and keep Julia's memory and spirit alive. I didn't even think about Andy's smelling Julia's perfume in the train station because Julia and her parents had stopped at that train station all those years before, and that's why he chose that train station for his office. That scene really did show that Julia truly was in Everwood after her passing.

Old 01-10-2021, 11:05 AM
Fan Forum Legend

Moderator of ...
Everwood

Excellent thoughts, everyone!

Yes, it's so great how as a whole, we are all saying the same thing, but we each hit on different areas a little differently. It's so great since we are covering everything this way.

Rachel, there is no such thing as spoilers now so no worries whatsoever, don't ever hold back! It's only a spoiler to people who have not watched Everwood yet and for those who haven't they are missing out, big time, and deserve to be spoiled so they watch the show already.
Old 01-10-2021, 11:22 AM
Fan Forum Legend

Moderator of ...
Everwood

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry D (View Post)
I saw Andy's visions as more than just seeing Julia's "ghost". In his grief, he was going back to their most intimate conversations, and his memories of those conversations helped him to deal with his grief in the present and keep Julia's memory and spirit alive. I didn't even think about Andy's smelling Julia's perfume in the train station because Julia and her parents had stopped at that train station all those years before, and that's why he chose that train station for his office. That scene really did show that Julia truly was in Everwood after her passing.
Definitely. There’s so much going on in those flashbacks, both past, present day with a large spiritual component.

I mentioned the pattern of 10...

10 is a significant number. Spiritually, Religiously, Astrologically... you can tell Berlanti knows his stuff.
Reply   Post New Thread