Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Closed Thread   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Thread Tools
Old 05-29-2019, 03:34 PM
Administrator

Excellent post, Danielle, and I completely agree that Bright and Amy's relationship represented a real missed opportunity on the show. I really wish that the writers would have concentrated more on the key characters and relationships on the show instead of bring in characters that we didn't like or care about like Amanda, Madison, Reid and some of the other characters. We never really got to see Bright and Amy interacting as brother and sister as much as I would have like to have seen, or even saw Ephram and Delia interacting as brother and sister as much as I would have liked to have seen.

There are those who look at things the way they are and ask why - I dream of things that never were and ask why not. - Robert F. Kennedy
Old 05-29-2019, 03:51 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Quote:
Another thing that really bothered me was their relationship in season 2. I know that Bright was really mad about the way that Amy was acting in season 2 but I still think he could've been a little bit more compassionate towards her. Maybe its a lot to ask of Bright to understand her depression especially since Harold couldn't even seem to understand it, but considering he went through through the same loss as her even if his grief wasn't as extreme as hers you would think he would make more of an effort to see her point of view. Even before all the fallout due to everything with Tommy in the first half of the season he still acted very insensitive. The way he ignored her and pretended she didn't exist was extremely cold.
I totally understand what you're saying here, Danielle, and I do agree that Amy needed much compassion during this time in her life. I will cut Bright some slack here, however. He lost patience with Amy. He didn't like the way she was treating her family...took Tommy's side over theirs and felt that she had abandoned them, when all they wanted to do was help her. He was also taken aback when even after Tommy physically assaulted him she took Tommy's side and walked away with him.

Quote:
Disclaimer real quick that I'm sorry if this is coming off super biased toward Amy. I cannot deny that Amy's my favorite character and I will probably see things from her perspective the most

You and Michelle have alot in common in this regard.
Old 05-29-2019, 03:54 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by fulfilledღ (View Post)
Maybe this has been asked, maybe not. But I thought I'd share my next question idea...

At what point do you think Ephram forgave Andy for lying to him about Madison?
Patricia...This will be our next question as soon as we have finished discussing this one.
Thanks so much for suggesting it.
Old 05-29-2019, 06:15 PM
Administrator

Most of the characters had their comical moments, but I think that out of all the characters, Bright provided the most comical moments, and he was regarded by the audience and by the other characters as a goofball. Ironically, Chris Pratt has made a very successful career playing a goofball in almost all of his roles, so I think that the writers played into Chris’ natural comedic talent and they made Bright a not very “bright” character. One example of this was the plane scene at the end of Season Two when Ephram asked Amy why she wasn’t at the bus stop, and she said “I was gonna go because I didn’t want Bright to get suspicious, but then I remembered . . . .” and they both said “It’s Bright” and Amy answered “Exactly.”

Harold also provided a lot of comical moments, and most of those moments were due to his pomposity and his jealousy of Andy, but there was more of a balance with Harold as we saw how different he was in his interactions with Amy and Rose. I don’t think there was as much a balance with Bright as there was with Harold, and in retrospect, it would have been better to have more of a balance with Bright.

There are those who look at things the way they are and ask why - I dream of things that never were and ask why not. - Robert F. Kennedy
Old 05-29-2019, 11:47 PM
Fan Forum Legend

Moderator of ...
Everwood

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry D (View Post)
Most of the characters had their comical moments, but I think that out of all the characters, Bright provided the most comical moments, and he was regarded by the audience and by the other characters as a goofball. Ironically, Chris Pratt has made a very successful career playing a goofball in almost all of his roles, so I think that the writers played into Chris’ natural comedic talent and they made Bright a not very “bright” character. One example of this was the plane scene at the end of Season Two when Ephram asked Amy why she wasn’t at the bus stop, and she said “I was gonna go because I didn’t want Bright to get suspicious, but then I remembered . . . .” and they both said “It’s Bright” and Amy answered “Exactly.”

Harold also provided a lot of comical moments, and most of those moments were due to his pomposity and his jealousy of Andy, but there was more of a balance with Harold as we saw how different he was in his interactions with Amy and Rose. I don’t think there was as much a balance with Bright as there was with Harold, and in retrospect, it would have been better to have more of a balance with Bright.
Completely agree. I loved that EA moment for many reasons and that Bright line was so cute. Bright’s love for Spongebob in season 1 was hilarious. TPTB knew they were taking a great piece of Chris’s talent by using his comedic ability. We knew him when.

However, there were moments Pratt nailed the drama such as his appendicitis story with Edna (I will forever be salty we never received more one on one Bright/Edna interaction) and walking with Amy in place of Colin at the dance thing. I also wish we would’ve received more of a balanced Bright. Chris was more than capable to go there.

There was definitely more of a balance with Harold. I did love his interaction with Dr. Gretchen Trott. LOL.
Old 05-29-2019, 11:56 PM
Fan Forum Legend

Moderator of ...
Everwood

Quote:
Originally Posted by everwoodfan52 (View Post)
You and Michelle have alot in common in this regard.
Wait... what? I love EVC and Amy Abbott? When?

Okay, maybe just a little.

#EVCGreatestActorEver
#AmyAbbottBestEverwoodCharacterAndIt’sNotEvenClose

Old 05-30-2019, 04:27 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auror (View Post)
Completely agree. I loved that EA moment for many reasons and that Bright line was so cute. Bright’s love for Spongebob in season 1 was hilarious. TPTB knew they were taking a great piece of Chris’s talent by using his comedic ability. We knew him when.

However, there were moments Pratt nailed the drama such as his appendicitis story with Edna (I will forever be salty we never received more one on one Bright/Edna interaction) and walking with Amy in place of Colin at the dance thing. I also wish we would’ve received more of a balanced Bright. Chris was more than capable to go there.
Yes, Chris definitely had the talent to handle more drama and it's too bad that we didn't get to see more scenes with Bright and Irma.

Quote:
There was definitely more of a balance with Harold. I did love his interaction with Dr. Gretchen Trott. LOL.
Yes, Harold's snarky interactions with Gretchen Trott were hilarious!

Old 05-30-2019, 04:28 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Wait... what? I love EVC and Amy Abbott? When?

Okay, maybe just a little.

#EVCGreatestActorEver
#AmyAbbottBestEverwoodCharacterAndIt’sNotEvenClose

Wow, I never knew this about you after all these years of posting with you Michelle. You learn something new every day!

Old 05-30-2019, 04:36 AM
Administrator

Here's a great recap of "My Funny Valentine" the episode that had Gretchen Trott in it. It was done by Television Without Pity, a now defunct website that used to do snarky recaps of shows. They used to skewer Dawson's Creek, but here in this recap, you can see that they really loved Everwood. This was one of the best episodes of Season One, and I loved the Ephram and Laynie interaction in it, and I loved seeing a jealous Amy in it.

Everwood TV Show - Everybody Gets Something On Valentine's Day - Everwood Photos & Videos, Everwood Reviews & Everwood Recaps | TWoP

Old 05-30-2019, 07:08 AM
Fan Forum Legend

Moderator of ...
Everwood

Quote:
Wow, I never knew this about you after all these years of posting with you Michelle. You learn something new every day!
Old 05-30-2019, 07:13 AM
Fan Forum Legend

Moderator of ...
Everwood

Quote:
Here's a great recap of "My Funny Valentine" the episode that had Gretchen Trott in it. It was done by Television Without Pity, a now defunct website that used to do snarky recaps of shows. They used to skewer Dawson's Creek, but here in this recap, you can see that they really loved Everwood. This was one of the best episodes of Season One, and I loved the Ephram and Laynie interaction in it, and I loved seeing a jealous Amy in it.

Everwood TV Show - Everybody Gets Something On Valentine's Day - Everwood Photos & Videos, Everwood Reviews & Everwood Recaps | TWoP
Thanks for this! It brings back so many memories. Back in the day, I literally printed out their Everwood recaps. LOL. You can absolutely tell they adored our show. I completely agree that “My Funny Valentine” is one of the best episodes. I loved how Everwood was so good at combining drama and comedy. The balance was so perfect. In dramatic episodes, somehow Berlanti still found a way to include a little bit of comedy in order to provide a tiny bit of light in an otherwise dark, serious, episode.
Old 05-30-2019, 08:15 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Thanks for this! It brings back so many memories. Back in the day, I literally printed out their Everwood recaps. LOL. You can absolutely tell they adored our show. I completely agree that “My Funny Valentine” is one of the best episodes. I loved how Everwood was so good at combining drama and comedy. The balance was so perfect. In dramatic episodes, somehow Berlanti still found a way to include a little bit of comedy in order to provide a tiny bit of light in an otherwise dark, serious, episode.
I loved their Everwood recaps but I didn’t like their Dawson’s Creek recaps because they were so Anti-Dawson and so Pro-Pacey and Joey, although Sars, the recapper, would call out Joey for her crap.

I still think that a lot of wonderful potential was wasted with Ephram and Laynie. I loved them in that episode.

Old 05-30-2019, 09:02 AM
Fan Forum Legend

Moderator of ...
Everwood

Quote:
I loved their Everwood recaps but I didn’t like their Dawson’s Creek recaps because they were so Anti-Dawson and so Pro-Pacey and Joey, although Sars, the recapper, would call out Joey for her crap.

I still think that a lot of wonderful potential was wasted with Ephram and Laynie. I loved them in that episode.
Thankfully, I never checked out their Dawson's Creek Recaps then.

I completely agree about Ephram and Laynie. It was touchy because of Amy, but if Ephram/Laynie would've been explored more in season 1 while Amy was still with Colin before he passed (around My Funny Valentine), or in season 2 when Ephram/Amy were not around each other much while Amy dealt with situational depression, it would have worked. Nothing serious, just fun like we saw in My Funny Valentine. Admittedly, the Ephram/Amy shipper in me (along with Amy being my favorite character) wouldn't have been able to handle anything super serious between Ephram/Laynie. But being typical high school teens, having some fun, I would have been okay with that for a while longer.
Old 05-31-2019, 05:16 PM
Fan Forum Legend

Moderator of ...
Everwood

Quote:
Originally Posted by fulfilledღ (View Post)
Maybe this has been asked, maybe not. But I thought I'd share my next question idea...

At what point do you think Ephram forgave Andy for lying to him about Madison?
How about we tackle Patricia’s wonderful question now?
Old 05-31-2019, 06:04 PM
Administrator

That's a good idea. It's hard for me to answer because I felt that in many ways, Ephram had a hard time in expressing sentiment, except with Amy, and often the only thing he would express to his father was anger and resentment. I personally think he forgave Andy once he started acting as a mentor to Kyle, because in his talk with Kyle, when Kyle didn't want to admit he was gay, he talked about how he had kept things bottled up and how it didn't do any good, so I think that at that point, he had forgiven Andy. Ephram really grew through his mentoring of Kyle, and I think he learned how holding on to anger and resentment could ruin your life, so I think that he learned to let go of his anger and resentment toward Andy.

Closed Thread   Post New Thread