Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Old 01-02-2005, 12:36 AM
Absolute Fan

"Great Expectations" Episode Discussion (1-2-2005)

From the WB:

Shelly (Tara Thompson) and Michael (Tommy Dewey) share a very awkward date when Michael agrees to drive Sam (Penn Badgley) and Scarlett (guest star Kaylee DeFer) to Canada to get the morning-after pill. At the same time, Max (Elizabeth Bogush) thinks that she might be pregnant with David's (Oliver Hudson) baby.
Anson Mount, Johann Urb, Mitch Pileggi and Barbara Hershey also star. The episode was written by Karen Barna and directed by Harry Winer.

Angel- I love you. I try not to, but I can't stop. Buffy- Me, me, too. I can't either.
Old 01-03-2005, 01:51 AM
Extreme Fan

Seemed like a series finale to me.

All I can say is eh....

Don't really care about who ended up with who.

Didn't really like how David and Max made up although I guess it had to happen sometime.

And meanwhile, Will gets the shaft. Yeah!!

Ok, now that I've had some time to digest everything.

The two best scenes tonight were: Max/Michael's pillow fight and Michael, Sam, and Scarlett joking around before Scarlett threw up.

Now, I've never cared for Shelly/Michael but it seemed to me that she settled for Michael cause she couldn't have Sam. Gee...that's romantic.

I'm glad Sam didn't break it off Scarlett and run off with Shelly when she told him she had feelings for him. I'm glad that Sam is sticking by Scarlett and he's going to try and work it out with her.

I still don't really buy that Shelly has feelings for Sam, but whatever. If anything, I thought tonight just showed that she didn't want their relationship (i.e., friendship) to change but she realizes that it was bound to happen.

The whole Max/David/Maria thing was just blah. I could have done without all the David/Maria scenes in the beginning. Seriously, no respect for Will...At. All.

Travis still creeps me out. He's hot, but just too sketchy.

Last edited by shlee; 01-03-2005 at 02:18 AM
Old 01-03-2005, 02:23 AM
Master Fan

Definitely seemed like a series finale, and I adored it. For once, I get exactly what I want with one of my shows ,the giddiness factor is high for me right now.

Maria/David: They we're hot, they we're very, very hot. I loved the whole morning montage thing with them, very cute, and did I mention hot. There talk about not getting sick of each other was sweet. They just fit, I think all of their lives they we're waiting for each other, waiting for things to finally fit, and it finally did. They found each other again, and they're happy and content, and I can tell they mean it for the long haul. David's complete honestly with her about the baby was very telling, honesty was a big problem with he and Max. Maria's reaction to the baby, being supportive, again proved to me, these two are it for each other. They're not running anymore, they're reacting like mature adults, which was needed with the situation. I could not have been more satisfied with the ending for this pairing, from episode one, something was missing from both of them, neither seemed wholly happy, they we're drifting. In that end scene, they we're complete, they had each other and they had a future. I couldn't be happier.

Max/David: I'm going to ignore the fact that, that storyline nearly replicates Brooke/Lucas from OTH, I almost rolled my eyes throughout. I was glad to see David/Max had some resolution. If I we're her, I probably wouldn't have been so forgiving. And I did think he came on a little too strong about him and Maria helping her, but hey she was lying so, what can you do. They're imperfect creatures, but a friendship would have been nice there. It's been clear since David has been with Maria she was it for him, I guess Max finally realized it, and was ready to move forward with her own life, good for her. And hey Travis seems to really care about her, so thats cool.

Sam/Shelly/Scarlett: I won't include Michael here, because he has nothing to do with that trio(thank God). I've always felt Shelly's feelings for Sam we're possesive, not romantic, so that whole kiss thing really through me off. I was wondering if I had missed something gigantic here, and it really left a bad taste in my mouth. Suddenly Sam who has done nothing but pine for her, was putting on the breaks, and she's being the aggressor it was weird, and it felt like a cop out. But as the episode progressed, I came to realize this was a goodbye to Sam/Shelly of old, the possessive, unhealthy relationship they had formed was fading away, they we're each letting go of each other, so the other could find happiness. Their ending talk, Shelly's acceptance of Scarlett, was very touching to me. It was nice to see two people who love each other, make the right choices and not spin their friendship out into something that is unhealthy. Both had some realizations, and both we're ready to move on. And hey I found myself really liking Sam/Scarlett, so yay.

Shelly/Michael: The highlight of the episode for me, hell the highlight of the series. These two from moment one have captivated me, him with his adorable dimples, and witty sarcasm, and her dry wit. They just fit, there was always something there bubbling beneath the surface. First it was attraction and banter, then it became more, and then when that wasn't possible they formed a true friendship. But it was always right there lurking for them, and tonight was a brilliant end, or as Shelly said beggining to their journey. It was Michael that showed Shelly she was being a brat, it was him that got through, and I loved that. Because she has to be on a more mature plane to be with him, she can't revert to school girl antics, like she has with Sam. Michael isn't going to chase after her, and get into screaming matches, he's up front with her, always, and I love that. I love that he's not possessive, I love that he just lets her be, it's so important to who they are. The ending scene with them was perfect, their talk of new beggining, and then finally the KISS! or kisses, and fade to black. First of all, wow, that was hot. Second of all, they ended the series, with the theme song, yay! If by some miracle TM does come back, I feel confident the writer's hearts are with MS, and they'd have an even more engaging story. But for now, I'm satisfied and happy.

The Mountain was fun, more fun than most shows I've loved. I hope it does come back, but if not, it's been a great ride.

Whitney
Old 01-03-2005, 03:18 AM
Extreme Fan

Still about half an hour before it's on over here.

*Anxiously waits*
Old 01-03-2005, 05:30 AM
Extreme Fan

I wasn't really into Maria/David in this episode. I did think the montage was cute, but David's kind of ruining any relationship possibilities, IMO.

And I was really annoyed that they didn't even bring Anson back for (what could be) the final episode

I liked Max particularly well in this episode. She's pretty much chill about the whole situation, which is nice, because, she definitely should not be pining over David.

And I was particularly proud of her for not kicking David's ass when he said that Maria wanted to be a part of the baby's life. You could tell how much that must've hurt her, like he wants Maria to be the mother instead of her (which was probably true, but still an awful thing to say).

Travis... what the hell? He was kind of freaking me out in this episode

Maria/Travis is kinda cute

I was kind of shaking my head with the whole S/S on the top of the car thing. I'm just glad that they've sort of reached an understanding, and that goes for Shelly/Scarlett as well.

Max/Michael was nice The pillow fight was cute and I love to see that they have such a good relationship.

Michael/Shelly was of course wonderful. I'm glad we finally got what we were waiting for. Their relationship hit a whole new level and I think they were able to see each other as equals, instead of having the whole "maturity" issue. It was addressed early in the episode, but that was good, because Shelly was able to acknowledge that flaw of hers, and work through it.

They're both ready for a relationship now and that's what this episode showed, that's what it ended with.

I was very disappointed with the amount of sex in it, though I know, it's not too bad, and I should expect it, but it always just makes me sad because I know that our show is wonderful without all the sex scenes.

If this is the end of The Mountain, I am very sad. It has been a great run though. And I hope we at least get it on DVD.

But hey, it hasn't been cancelled yet...
Old 01-03-2005, 10:10 PM
Elite Fan

I was so sad watching the final minutes, and once the theme song started playing I had a feeling it was over. Although, I'm glad the final shot was Micheal/Shelly. But ... I was sad to see no Colin, Will or Ginnie. And ... what is with David/Maria?! I cannot stand them. And the beginning ... Seriously ... that was too much!

I liked the overall theme of the episode, but ... I wish that wasn't the last episode. I mean, I know it might not be over. ::fingers crossed:: But ... if it was ... I enjoyed the show soo much, and if it came out on DVD, I would buy it, for sure.

kenny | credit
Old 01-04-2005, 05:07 AM
Ultimate Fan

I didn't like the David/Maria scenes at all. I know they were probably great for D/M fans, but as a David/Max fan I couldn't appreciate it. Besides I hated that they acted like they would be together forever. I definetely don't see them as soulmates or something.

I loved the pillowfight between Max and Michael. They are so cute. I just love their relationship.

I knew Max was lying about the pregnancy, but I get why she did it. he was pressuring her too much. Finally he admitted that he was a total jerk. I liked him a lot more this episode. And the hug, awww that was so cute. I really think they could be friends now. And then maybe fall in love again.

I loved Michael. And I loved every S/M scene in this episode. I don't really get how things ended with her and Sam though. Is she in love with him or something?? I think Michael is better for her. And the kiss. OMG. So sweet.

I still like Sam and Scarlett together. But right now it looks like he doesn't love her like he loves Shelly. That's a shame, cause they could be so great. And Scarlett definetely deserves someone who really loves her. The scene on that bench where he comforts her when she has to take that pill was so sweet.

And again no Will. Í would think he's pretty important for this storyline so where is he. and if this was really the last episode he should have been there.

I really hope they don't cancel it. Last year I was so into smallville, but this season sucks. And The Mountain kinda replaced SV for me. I wish they would give it another chance. I just know it could be a great hit.
Old 01-04-2005, 06:55 AM
Elite Fan

Well, lets try this again, lol. I had a long post yesterday morning, hit send and then it said the site was upgrading, which is cool, but I hope I can remember what I wrote, hehehe.

I still dont like David with Maria. I dont think he is himself with her. He is an insensitive jerk. When he was with Max, he was real and it showed at the end of the episode. I still have hope that they will be together someday(if the show goes on).

I did NOT like Max with Travis. But I actually did like Maria with Travis. The yoga scene was great! And the old Maria came out. I still think she and Will were cute together, but Will will never take her back, which I wouldnt either if I were him.

I loved the scene when Sam, Scarlett and Michael were making fun of the border patrol, it was hilarious and nice to see them laugh. I thought Shelly and Sam actually in the luggage carrier was funny too, but felt bad for Shelly in the end.

Although, I am a big Shelly/Michael fan, so I was delighted to see the ending!

I still wish Max was pregnant, but it wasnt the right time for it then.

So, overall, it was a good episode. Wish the show would still go on. But dont forget to vote to get it on dvd!!!!
Old 01-05-2005, 07:59 AM
Ultimate Fan

I couldn't care less about David and Maria. They deserve one another.

The Sam/Shelly kiss made me sick. I don't like them together and I really didn't like the way that she was acting. Everything is not always about her and Michael was right to tell her to stop acting like such a baby. I'm glad that she recognized the fact that she was being a bitch to Scarlett and apologized. I don't really care whether the two of them are friends, but she should at least give the girl some respect. Shelly's the one that dismissed Sam in the beginning and that ultimately led him to Scarlett, so she should have handled the whole situation differently.

Shelly's attitude for the last few episodes made me not want her with Michael. He seems too good for her. I think the Carver's have a real problem with selfishness. He could teach her a lot and I wouldn't mind a friendship, but the kiss seemed force to me. I realize that it could be the last episode and they wanted to get it in, but it was as though Michael was her second choice and I didn't like that.

Sam and Scarlett are adorable. It's obvious that he cares about her. I'm glad that the two of them ended up together.

I've always loved Max and I hate that they did the entire pregnancy thing, but whatever. I think had David not followed her, she wouldn't have told him. But she saw hope when he did and that's when she became weak. I liked her little speech to him about disgracing her gender by doing so, though. At least she realized quickly the error of her ways. I love her with Travis. She makes him less of an ass. Though I wish they hadn't been about to have no-strings sex at the end of the episode. I'd much rather see an actual relationship between the two of them.

I hope that this wasn't the last episode ever, maybe just the last of the season. If it was, it sucks that Will wasn't in it.

Lisa
Old 01-05-2005, 11:19 AM
Dedicated Fan

could someone make sam/scralett and shelly/scarlett screencaps from this episode?
ships: Jackie/Hyde, Chandler/Monica, Seth/Summer, Ryan/Taylor, Ephram/Amy, Pacey/Joey, Veronica/Logan (S1), Clarke/Bellamy, Simon/Alisha, Buffy/Spike, Kate/Sawyer, Juliet/Sawyer, Effy/Cook, Casey/Cappie, Lily/James, Tessa/Will, Elena/Clay.

Daphnée @ LiveJournal Fanlisting Collective
Old 01-05-2005, 01:20 PM
Dedicated Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by daphneejen
could someone make sam/scralett and shelly/scarlett screencaps from this episode?

The Sam/Scarlett caps are in the Sam/Scarlett thread.
Old 01-05-2005, 06:46 PM
Master Fan

Quote:
Shelly/Michael: The highlight of the episode for me, hell the highlight of the series. These two from moment one have captivated me, him with his adorable dimples, and witty sarcasm, and her dry wit.
*Thinking about Tommy's dimples.*

Quote:
The whole Max/David/Maria thing was just blah. I could have done without all the David/Maria scenes in the beginning. Seriously, no respect for Will...At. All.
Totally. I mean, they're all giddy and in love and they could both really care less about Will.

Rachel
Old 01-05-2005, 08:04 PM
Dedicated Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bri53

The Sam/Scarlett caps are in the Sam/Scarlett thread.
thank you!!!
ships: Jackie/Hyde, Chandler/Monica, Seth/Summer, Ryan/Taylor, Ephram/Amy, Pacey/Joey, Veronica/Logan (S1), Clarke/Bellamy, Simon/Alisha, Buffy/Spike, Kate/Sawyer, Juliet/Sawyer, Effy/Cook, Casey/Cappie, Lily/James, Tessa/Will, Elena/Clay.

Daphnée @ LiveJournal Fanlisting Collective
Old 01-07-2005, 01:37 PM
Absolute Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by rachem_chul
*Thinking about Tommy's dimples.*
Gotta love those dimples... and smile, and eyes, and ears.

I am really sad that we have to wait to see if we get anymore episodes or not. I hope we do.

If we don't though, I thought that the ending was perfect. Shelly/Michael kissing in the end was soooo great! I would have like to have seen some more Travis/Max action though.

David/Maria- eh... they were okay... kinda boring.

Anyone else mad that there was no Will, Gennie, or Colin??

Angel- I love you. I try not to, but I can't stop. Buffy- Me, me, too. I can't either.
Old 01-07-2005, 03:24 PM
Ultimate Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pace & Jo
Anyone else mad that there was no Will, Gennie, or Colin??
I didn't really mind, but if it really was the last episode they probably should've been in it.