Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Reply   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Thread Tools
Old 05-24-2008, 11:45 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Alias 1x10 - "Spirit" Episode Re-discussion (aired 12/16/2001)

Episode Description -
Quote:
After being captured, Sydney awakens in a dingy cell. She is brought to a torture room, but at the last moment, the interrogation is halted...and Russek becomes the target of SD-6 suspicions...Instead, he is the one tortured, and finally executed.

Sloane confides in Sydney about the intercepted communication from Switzerland, and that it turned out to be a message from Russek to K-Directorate. And while Sydney is glad to be alive, she is even more confused...She explains her narrow escape to Vaughn, who has no explanation.

With Christmas approaching, Vaughn gives Sydney a gift -- an antique frame. This gesture arouses jealousy in Will, though he can't say too much -- he has just begun an affair with Jenny, his assistant, which Sydney knows all about

For her next mission, Sydney is sent to Semba Island, just off the coast of Kenya. SD-6 is still trying to track down Ineni Hassan, and they believe that a forger on the island has created a new identity for the rogue arms dealer. On the island, Sydney discovers that Hassan has had plastic surgery, and now goes under the name Nebseni Saad.

Sydney hides this fact from SD-6, but Sloane already knows... He then instructs Jack to go to Cuba, where Hassan/Saad is now hiding. Sloane wants Hassan dead, though Vaughn proposes a counter-mission. Jack is asked to make a deal with Hassan: In exchange for Hassan's client list, Jack would then fake Hassan's death, which would stop SD-6 in their pursuit...but also allowing Hassan to pass into the CIA's hands.

Meanwhile, Will studies the mysterious tape that was left in his car. With help from his audio engineer friend, Nevil, Will is able to discern some muffled dialogue. The person who killed Eloise Kurtz said the name "SD-6," revealing another piece to the puzzle...

Will researches the name, but finds only a single reference...in a transcript from a lawsuit against David McNeil, an expert in computer encryption, who is now in jail for embezzlement. Will question's the lawyer, Robert Stoller, who says that McNeil only plead guilty after his wife killed herself, under questionable circumstances.

Will visits McNeil in jail, but the man seems genuinely scared at the name "SD-6." Refuses to talk, he demands that Will leave the lawyer alone. Now, Will is even more intrigued...

From Vaughn, Sydney learns that her father doctored the SD-6 computer logs. Jack made it appear that the intercepted communication from Switzerland was actually sent by Russek to K-Directorate. Vaughn then reveals that Jack is now being held captive by Hassan in Cuba.

Secretly, Sydney sets out to save her father. She is quickly captured, and brought before Hassan, just as Jack is explaining his unusual deal to the arms dealer. Hassan recognizes Sydney as an SD-6 agent, but is unaware of her connection to Jack.

Tempted by Jack's offer, Hassan needs him to prove that he is no longer loyal to SD-6. As a test, Jack must kill the captured SD-6 agent. A gun is placed in Jack's hand...he takes aim directly at his daughter...
Old 05-25-2008, 03:39 AM
Elite Fan

Ooh! I'm so gonna rewatch this and post thoughts later!
Old 05-25-2008, 08:05 AM
Master Fan

I watched this one like 2 or 3 days ago
Old 05-25-2008, 10:12 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by McDreamy (View Post)
Ooh! I'm so gonna rewatch this and post thoughts later!
Can't wait to read your thoughts Stjepo

Kelsey, what do you think about the episode? What did you like best?

My take on 1x10 :

What Jack did in this episode just blew me away. At the beginning, I wasn't sure about Jack's motivations, and the way he felt about Sydney. Did he love her? Or was he KGB betraying his country? The moral ambiguity of Jack's behaviour, and how he didn't hesitate for a moment to sacrifice Russek for Sydney, was a great insight into his character. It proves that he really loves his daughter, and will do anything for her.... no matter what it takes

Vaughn: How incredible sweet was his present for Sydney? He bought her a antique picture frame
Quote:
Vaughn: I don't know. I was in this store, you know, um... this little antique place.
Sydney: What were you doing in an antique store?
Vaughn: I don't know. Whatever. Um, look, if you don't like it just... don't tell me.
Made my GA shipper heart very happy

Besides that Vaughn managed to trick Jack into admitting that he faked Russek's transmission to save Sydney. That wasn't an easy thing to do, yet he had to know it.

Sydney, loved that she went after Jack.

Will, how foolish and stupid can he be? Why does he have to continue this investigation? He should just drop it!

Sloane was creepy once more. He considers Syd to be a daughter of his, yet he doesn't mind torturing her? What I did like was that we got more info on Sloane:
Quote:
Sloane: ...I didn't know how it would finally materialize: the darkness. I had nothing to base it on. It wasn't as if the C.I.A. had just betrayed me, that my wife had just been diagnosed with lymphoma. None of that had happened yet. So, whenever life takes an unfortunate turn, as it has this week, I just remind myself that I could see it coming all along
Old 05-25-2008, 03:38 PM
Fan Forum Star

I really liked this episode, to me this was the episode where my GA shipper heart exploded with happiness! especially after vaughn got her a present!

Quote:
Jack Bristow: Russek. It was a shock.... What? Do you mean did I engineer it somehow? No, Sydney, of course not.
This was also the episode that my love for Jack/Sydney completely explode! The first time i saw the episode i was completely shocked by what Jack did, but at the same time i completely fell in love with Jack. For most of the first few episodes jack was seen as cold and not caring, but then this episode came and Jack made me fall in love!
& it hits me when the lights go on. s---, maybe i miss you
miss you by louis tomlinson
BUY IT ON ITUNESSTREAM IT ON SPOTIFY
▌casey · © ·
wicked games is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2008, 08:35 PM
Master Fan

I might actually rewatch this one
Old 05-26-2008, 07:03 AM
Ultimate Fan

I watched that epi a few days ago...

it's only the second time that I watch all the Alias episodes because you know that I'm fairly new to the show So sometime it is like watching it for the first time because I forgot what happened

Of course I didn't forget Vaughn giving Syd the present My GA heart would never allow me to forget that

I remember when I first watched that epi, that I was so shocked about what Jack did, I mean, it's his fault that they killes Russek but it was such an incredible father/daughter moment

And to Will... I can only say one thing: Meet my new companion -->
He'll accompny me through the next few episode discussions
Old 05-26-2008, 09:17 AM
Master Fan

Jule, don't you think you should be a little nicer to Will?

Anyway, I'll probably rewatch the episode on Wednesday. And then I'll give a proper comment.
Old 05-26-2008, 10:36 AM
Ultimate Fan

Quote:
Jule, don't you think you should be a little nicer to Will?
No, I don't think so... I mean, he's a nice guy and all but Jeez, I could just im repeatedly sometimes.
That's why the smiley says that he "acts stupid" and not that he is stupid
Old 05-26-2008, 05:19 PM
Fan Forum Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by germanJavaJunkie (View Post)

He'll accompny me through the next few episode discussions
greatest. icon, ever! i know what you are saying! he was a sweet guy in season 1....(even though i loved him soo much more in season 2) but sydney said "no" a billion times... he couldn't take the hint??
& it hits me when the lights go on. s---, maybe i miss you
miss you by louis tomlinson
BUY IT ON ITUNESSTREAM IT ON SPOTIFY
▌casey · © ·
wicked games is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2008, 02:18 PM
Fan Forum Star

Moderator of ...
Off Topic

I liked Will.... but yeah, he couldn't take the hint from Sydney... of course, he had the biggest crush on her... and he wanted to prove himself capable of finding out the truth....
Old 05-29-2008, 07:11 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Moderator of ...
Alias

I still didn't have time to rewatch the episode

But I'm with you guys--I hated Will--and I still do

T.
Big Head want Dolly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2008, 12:10 PM
Master Fan

I don't like Will either. It's good that Syd has friends but he's just meh. He's my Martha Jones on Alias.

And I'll try to rewatch the episode tomorrow.
Old 06-07-2008, 08:05 AM
Master Fan

It’s funny cause even now watching it I can’t remember the episode. At all.
Oh but I remember that I didn’t like the episode. I didn’t like the storyline at all. Still don’t.
I rather watch episodes where Syd is tortured by Suit’n’Glasses.
Besides the episode is a bit too slow for my likings. It just doesn’t give me the kick I usually get when watching Alias.
Aww but I love it that Vaughn got her a present. That’s so cute. Still don’t like Will’s behavior, though. Why can’t he just keep his nose out of other peoples business? Duh.
Old 07-23-2009, 08:07 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Moderator of ...
Alias

T.
Big Head want Dolly is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply   Post New Thread