Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Old 10-03-2005, 10:22 PM
Absolute Fan

Just one week
Love Psych and fanfic? Check out Psychfic. It has the best fan fiction I have ever read.
Old 10-11-2005, 02:31 PM
Master Fan

DVD is out in the States today! Go purchase, kids!
Old 04-17-2006, 02:36 AM
Master Fan

Director's cut, YAY!
Old 04-18-2006, 02:46 AM
Supreme Fan

I cannot wait for the directors cut!
I watched the original the other day for the first time in months and i remembered that i really do like it, despite it's shortcomings. I can't wait to see what they have done with the extra 40 mins.

Here are some reviews for the directors cut and every single one absolutely gushes about it. You can't help but wonder what would have happened if this was the version released last year.

I've only posted the highlights so just click on the link if you want to read the whole review.

IGN

Quote:
Kingdom of Heaven: The Director's Cut is not just a 2 ½ star movie that earned itself two more stars, but one of Ridley Scott's best, and moreover, a film that deserves its place in cinema history - even if that place could only be located on DVD...

And while this is truly the film which by all rights should have been Bloom's coming out as a leading-man (emphasis on man), the greater accomplishment than restoring his evolution as an actor is the affirmation of Scott's authority as an auteur, and the reminder that directors do indeed sometimes (frequently, in fact) have a vision for their film that extends beyond the first week of its release.
So if you, like I once was, are skeptical about the merits of 45 more minutes of this film - one which I warned you will get bored, you may fall asleep - give it the benefit of the doubt; great movies are few and far between, particularly when we think we know all there is about them. But sometimes, as in the case of Kingdom of Heaven, truly memorable and significant artistic achievements cannot merely be made; they have to be found, re-forged and re-released. From a box office perspective, Kingdom of Heaven may well be dead and gone; but the Director's Cut DVD assures that its true legacy - as a restored classic and great modern epic - lives on for years to come.
Digital Bits

I couldn't make myself give the theatrical cut more than a C+. It was a beautifully-lensed, but woefully incomplete story. This new 191-minute extended cut, on the other hand, is a truly great piece of work. I'd give it an A-, maybe even a solid A...

Hollywood Elsewhere

Quote:
Ridley Scott's 190- minute "extended cut" version of Kingdom of Heaven is a considerably better film than the 145-minute theatrical version that opened last May...

Stand-up critics ought to review this version for history's sake, for the sake of salu- ting top-grade filmmaking...whatever. An obviously improved version of what was a respected film to begin with, and from a major director...attention should be paid. When a film this admirable is deliberately gutted by a major studio, critics have an obligation to assess what was what...

All that went out the window when I watched him again yesterday. Bloom may have missed the boat in Cameron Crowe's film, but he's got heft and range and really knows how to play a stalwart hero.
The words I wrote last May still apply: "Bloom is bearded, grimy, quiet and steady throughout Kingdom of Heaven. He is manly, in short, and does that classic Jim- my Cagney thing -- planting his feet, looking the other guy in the eye and telling the truth. Does he channel Laurence Olivier? No, but Bloom has definitely held his ground here."
AICN 1 AICN 2

Quote:
KINGDOM OF HEAVEN is a great movie. When you see the film on DVD at whatever point, you’ll see what I’m talking about. You’ll realize you were robbed in May. Not since THE ABYSS has a film been so radically butchered for a studio’s summer release date.
David Poland

Quote:
In the tradition of "Untitled," the extended cut of Almost Famous, Ridley Scott's 3-hour (and change) version of Kingdom of Heaven is night and day from the original. Even more than with Cameron Crowe's chopped up work, Fox literally cut out the story of the movie. I was so shocked by what was back in that I had to rent the DVD that is now out to make sure I wasn't crazy. There is some more blood and a touch more sex (though still not intense enough for my tastes, given the story), but what is breathtaking is that every major character in the movie, except perhaps Ghassan Massoud's already brilliant turn as Saladin, is significantly enhanced by the additions. Edward Norton's cameo as The King of Jerusalem now feels like a real performance. Marton Csokas is no longer just a caricature. Liam Neeson's character has history and motivation, not just people telling us how great he was. And even Orlando Bloom's Balian is given greater depth, his despair and his need for forgiveness actually making sense when you see Scott's real vision for the film. They gutted a great film and made us all think it was shallow. Shame on them. At least there is now a chance to correct the mistake.

Last edited by Vague_Disclaimer; 04-18-2006 at 03:43 AM
Old 04-18-2006, 02:50 AM
Total Fan

Alright, so advising a very naughty Arrow who hasn't actually seen KoH, should i just wait to see the directors cut, do you think?
Proud Arrow #190 and Auror #208
Old 04-18-2006, 03:39 AM
Supreme Fan

I would say yes but there is no release date for the directors cut in Australia yet.
I have an all region dvd player so i'm just going to order it from Amazon but if you can't d that it could be a long wait before we get it here.
Old 04-18-2006, 06:44 PM
Master Fan

All those reviews are so so true. As everyone knows, KoH was my favourite Lando performance even in the shorter, crappier version -- and KoH was still my favourite movie (banning LoTR, of course) but the director's cut just blows the theatrical cut away. I mean, in huge, historical heaps. It's an amazing movie with those extra minutes, truly. And Orlando's performance is beautiful in it.

Don't waste your time on the theatrical cut, tangerine, unless you're curious as to how studios see things and why people are so angry that the film was treated so despicably.
Old 04-18-2006, 11:05 PM
Absolute Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by spikearrin
... but the director's cut just blows the theatrical cut away. I mean, in huge, historical heaps. It's an amazing movie with those extra minutes, truly.
Possibly even Academy-award winning? Or at least worthy of a few nominations?
Love Psych and fanfic? Check out Psychfic. It has the best fan fiction I have ever read.
Old 04-19-2006, 12:51 AM
Master Fan

Well, let's just say, it's better than this years Best Picture winner.

And as for Orlando -- I thought he was better as Balian than Heath Ledger was as Ennis Del Mar (and I loved Heath in the role).
Old 04-19-2006, 12:53 AM
Total Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vague_Disclaimer
I would say yes but there is no release date for the directors cut in Australia yet.
I have an all region dvd player so i'm just going to order it from Amazon but if you can't d that it could be a long wait before we get it here.
If you hadn't noticed, I've waited quite some time to see it. It won't kill me to wait a bit longer
Proud Arrow #190 and Auror #208
Old 05-12-2006, 04:09 PM
Master Fan

A very positive review of the Director's Cut DVD:

Quote:
As is the case on most of Ridley Scott's films on DVD, the production team at the Lauzirika Motion Picture Company has turned in an outstanding batch of special features for this set. The film itself features a brief video introduction by Scott, who admits that this is the version of Kingdom of Heaven he prefers. Discs One and Two offer a very good audio commentary track with Scott, joined by screenwriter William Monahan and star Orlando Bloom...

read the rest: http://www.thedigitalbits.com/review...eet051106.html
Old 05-15-2006, 05:08 PM
Master Fan

Yet another very positive review of the DVD for the Directors Cut: http://www.dvdtalk.com/reviews/read.php?ID=21647

Quote:
The theatrical cut of Kingdom of Heaven is a technically impressive epic, devoid of soul and a cohesive narrative – sweeping battle scenes give way to strangely choppy exposition, rendering William Monahan's clearly well-researched historical drama an inchoate mess. Had 20th Century Fox not panicked in light of the two other high-profile misfires and drastically altering the flow of Scott's film (as has been hypothesized on several Internet sites), who's to say what impact Kingdom of Heaven would've had? While technically accomplished, it's also a breakout role for Orlando Bloom, who as Balian, sheds the nagging notion that he's merely a Tolkien pretty boy, unable to shoulder the load of headlining a massive period epic.

It's estimated that between 40 and 60 minutes were snipped by Fox upon the eve of Kingdom of Heaven's release – the running time here is a healthy 191 minutes (the theatrical cut runs around 144 minutes, which suggests roughly 45 minutes were reinstated), offered in a roadshow format – which includes a 60 second video introduction from Scott, a 90 second overture that plays prior to the studio titles and a 140 second entr'acte beginning the second disc. The film is split neatly between the first and second discs, with one hour, 39 minutes on the first disc and one hour, 34 minutes on the second. According to several sources, this extended cut was released theatrically (briefly) at the Laemmle Fairfax Theatre in Los Angeles in December 2005 and was critically hailed, even ending up on a few year-end best-of lists.

M O V I E

V I D E O
* * * * 1/2

A U D I O

E X T R A S

R E P L A Y
* * * * 1/2

read the full article here: http://www.dvdtalk.com/reviews/read.php?ID=21647
May 23 folks. Mark your calendars.
Old 05-15-2006, 10:32 PM
Absolute Fan

Just one more week ... I can't wait!
Old 05-15-2006, 11:03 PM
Master Fan

I know! I'm so excited to see it again and fully dissect it.
Old 05-16-2006, 06:57 PM
Master Fan

Win a free copy of the Director's cut of KOH! -- http://movies.insidepulse.com/articles/48306

And yet another fantastic review of the DVD:

Quote:
Ridley Scott’s third epic period piece is finally presented in all its majesty and glory -worthy of heralding full blast with a louder trumpet. Adding an extra 50 minutes the new cut (admittedly preferred by the director) is extensive, rivaling even Lord of the Rings in promise and even greater in magnitude of impact to the story.

-----DISCS ONE AND TWO FEATURES INCLUDE:

-audio commentary with Ridley Scott, Orlando Bloom, and writer William Monahan
-audio commentary with executive producer Lisa Ellzey, visual effects supervisor Wesley Sewell, and first assistant director Adam Somner
-audio commentary with film editor Dody Dorn
-“Enginer’s Guide”- subtitled trivia track
-1 minute Ridley Scott intro.

-----DISC THREE FEATURES INCLUDE:

DEVELOPMENT:
-16 minute making of featurette on writing the story
-production notes and pre-production gallery for a previous Ridley Scott and William Monahan collaboration - “Tripoli”
-early draft screenplay by William Monahan
-3.5 story note cards used during production
-location scouting still gallery

PRE-PRODUCTION:
-20 minute making of featurette preparing for the movie
-13 minutes showing how Scott does cast rehearsals (documenting his process for the first time)
-32 minute featurette on costume design and props
-“Ridleygram” design gallery
-7 minute production design primer featurette
-production design gallery
-costume design gallery

PRODUCTION (Spain):
-19.5 minute making of featurette covering early filming, the start of the production in Spain
-26.5 minute featurette with history scholars on the films accuracy
-storyboard galleries with these themes: Balian’s village, forest ambush, pilgrim road
-unit photography/behind the scenes stills gallery

-----DISC FOUR FEATURES INCLUDE:

PRODUCTION (Morocco):
-31 minute making of featurette covering filming in Morocco
-17 minutes of production meeting segments
-storyboard galleries with these themes: Kerak, battle preparations, the siege
-unit photography/behind the scenes stills gallery

POST-PRODUCTION:
-37.5 minute making of featurette on editing, visual effects, scoring, etc
-15 additional deleted scenes with optional commentary with Ridley Scott and Dody Dorn (approx 30 minutes)
-interactive sound design suite that allows you to explore the different stages of the audio
-4 visual effects breakdowns

RELEASE:
-18 minute making of featurette on the reasons for the rhyme – why make this story and it’s significance now
-4 trailers and 50 (not a typo) TV spots
-6 minute press junket walkthrough looking at the set dressing, wardrobe, and weapons of the film
-3.5 minute premieres highlight reel (London, New York, and Tokyo)
-special shoot stills gallery
-poster gallery
-8.5 minute featurette on making the director’s cut
-director’s cut credits

Scene selection for the feature film has been very generously divided into 64 chapters over the first two discs.

read the full article here: http://movies.insidepulse.com/articles/48306