Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Closed Thread   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Thread Tools
Old 02-09-2004, 10:17 AM
Master Fan

Why Should Dawson Have "Gotten The Girl"?

I know many people feel that he should have. Here's a chance for them to explain why.

Was it simply because "it's Dawson Creek"?
Because it wouldve brought the show full circle?
Because they were the original couple?
Because you simply prefer them and you just wanted the payoff?

Im sure there's a plethora of answers. Please share.

Ive recently learned that some people believe that since Joey was seemingly the only person Dawson ever really felt strongly about that he shouldve ended up with her. However I think thats a bit sexist because Dawson was not the only one that Joey ever felt strongly about and Dawson shouldnt have been entitled to her simply because she was his "only". He wasnt her "only". I mean, what about Joeys feelings?
And in the end, Dawson seemed quite fine not being with Joey anyway. Plus the idea that you should be with the only person you ever loved in a span of 10 years is kind of dumb, many people find their true romantic soulmate years after they hit 25.

So, the question is simply enough and I know there are people who feel this way so, why should Dawson have gotten the girl? And you can also take it a step further if you please and explain why Pacey shouldnt have.

[ 02-09-2004: Message edited Sugz ]
Old 02-09-2004, 10:32 AM
Fan Forum Star

Well, to be honest, I am fan of both couples. so i am not trying to be biased just because i happen to like both so here is my honest opnion.

First of all, due to all the evidence shown between dawson and joey. If the writers would of written them a better storyline in later seasons and actually gave them an acceptable storyline for us to follow through on with dawson and joey, for example actually having them talking about their relationship more, working out all of the outcomes that made them not be together anymore. I think if there relationship would of had more commuication and less back and forth hurting each other, than dawson would of end up with joey.

The reason I believe that dawson shouldnt have gotten joey, is because i believe that he really didnt really want to be joey. I mean granted he has shown it all of the time, but it was something he told joey in beauty contest, at the dock, when joey said she didnt feel right about him liking now. and he told her that was what she wanted. I was thinking, that at that point did he even want to really want to be with her. i mean did he do it for her or could he had done it for himself, but i guess i am confusing myself here, because in decisions he relizes he loves her.

Dawson has always been a big dreamer, to go live his dream and become like spielburg, and i believe at times i wish he had gotten the gurl, but the way the writers protrayed him as a filmmaker and that is all what he wanted to be since he was little, than that one big thing that made him happy, i think that the writers put too much empizazes on that and more on joey. and after that point he just became to self absorbed to really love joey the way she wanted to be loved. so i think that he is where he should be right now, being sucessful and being married to his careeer.
Old 02-09-2004, 01:06 PM
Total Fan

Because they've always always been in love.The show started with Joey in love with Dawson and Dawson pining for Jen,well i think that all of us wanted them together at least the first season because it was sooo damn clear that they were in love even if Dawson didn't konw it.Second season was great too for them,i mean Joey broke up with Dawson but she's always always loved him anyway and in fact in the ep."the perfect wedding"this comes out again until the end of the2nd season where we really have the biggest changement.After their second break up Dawson was hurted and scared and decided to get a break but Joey tried to get together with him again for a long time..and then Pacey fell with her,and she didn't care at the beginning but then she realized to feel something for him too..they get together.Fine.Until this moment i wasn't against Pacey and Joey's realationship,yes i was angry for what they did to Dawson but i tought it could be actually love.But come on season4 wasn't really their season..every step taken with Pacey was sssooo hard for Joey,she was always thinking of Dawson,she wouldn't hurt him but it wasn't simply that..she was jealous of Gretchen,she wouldn't make love with Pacey because of him and only after having talked to him on the phone she decided to sleep with him.And do you remeber the day after"their special night"?She was supposed to be happy,i mean after all she slept with the guy she loved but her face wasn't really happy.She denied the truth to Dawson and she told him at the promcide that she couldn't love someone else as much as she loved him.I think that deep inside of him Pacey knew it and that was the reason he wwas so mad at her and inbsicure about their relationship.When finally they brike up she didn't seem so sad about that..after two episodes she wwas standing in Dawson's room kissing him,pining because he was leaving for L.a.Do you remember houw much she suffer every time she broke up with Dawson?It wasn't exactly the same with Pacey.When she discovered about Dawson and Gratchen she was sad,jealous,mad..and when she found out about Audrey and Pacey she was happy for them..oh please come on.Do you relly think this is true love?Do you remember when Pacey told her that Dawson will never be her past but always her present and future?well i think this is the reason.There's a sort of chemestry between Pacey and Joey cuz they're very different and you're qiutealways attracted by people different from you because they have what you don't.Joey and Dawson are soulmates.They know,love eachother more than anyone else but they are very very similiar and this creates problems in their relationship cuz to grown up they need someone different who can make them feeling complete.Their love is tragic..Joey told something like that in the finale of the second season when she said that the real romanticisim there's when two people separated by the destiny go on in loving eachother..well i can say that their love is strong cuz they will love eachother forever even if they are with other people even if they live in different countries..nothing will ever change and after this life they will be together again as should it be for two starcrossed soulmates.
ps=sorry for my english..i'm italian.hope you understand anyway
Old 02-09-2004, 01:26 PM
Master Fan

No, I understood you just fine. English wise anyway.

I just dont really buy the argument that they always loved each other. Im even on the fence in believing that they ever really truly loved each other on the romantic level. As friends, certainly, I just think they believed they were supposed to be together for so long and then finally realized after being apart for so long that they had just been forcing a romantic relationship that was never really mant to be. And even if they were inlove romantically for a time in season 2, I dont think they were any time after that.

Plus I think you've got some of your facts wrong. Joey never said she could never love anyone as much as she loved Dawson in Promicide. That would be pretty crappy considering she was with Pacey at the time. She said she'd never love anyone the way she loved Dawson. Which at that time was a platonic lifelong friendship love, possibly an unintentional foreshadowing to the finale platonic soulmates love they shared. So obviously she wasnt speaking in the romantic context.

She also wasnt always upser over Dawson in season 4. She was afraid that Gretchen was taking her place in Dawsons life, she was being selfish, it didnt mean she still loved Dawson.

And at the end of season 4 Joey was upset because Dawson was about to leave her, her lifelong friend going to college not because they were breaking up but a couple episodes earlier she was a mess after breaking up with Pacey. I think you've got them seriously confused.

Its pretty much a vague argument to base the reason why Dawson should have gotten the girl on the entire history of Dawson and Joey because you've got to consider the good with the bad, you cant just cite the good and forget the parts that counteract that "love" that Dawson and Joey had for each other. I realize they had something special in the first couple of season but I think that seriously fizzled once Pacey came into the picture.
Old 02-09-2004, 01:36 PM
Elite Fan

Lor-Baby, you have been watching a completely different show from me. It's sad that you see that Joey has always been in love with Dawson when she hasn't backed it up with anything and spent an entire year with Pacey who she ran off with and left Dawson crying on the docks. Don't give me that Joey was pining for Dawson in season 4 crap. I think Joey was always afraid of losing her place in Dawson's life, not neccessarily romantic. The best scene is at the end of 510. I think it sums up Joey and Dawson perfectly when Joey tells Pacey she didn't really want it and was relieved Jen was taking care of him. When you are in love with someone, you want to be with them as much as you can. I never got that vibe from Joey anytime after season 1 with her and Dawson. She had so many excuses. Even when he shows up in Boston, she doesn't even know what she wants with him. She could have went to LA with him, but she chose not to. She had no reason to stay in Capeside. Joey so could have forgiven Dawson in 602 for sleeping with Natasha, but it was just an excuse to rid him from her life in the romantic sense.

My favorite is how you bring up the past, present, and future crap. Why does that have anything to do with romance? Was it ever specifically stated? I don't think so. If I was in love with someone, I wouldn't tell them to go off on their journey while I work all summer when I could do the same thing where they are. Of course, he will always be a part of her life. You all forget Joey saying pretty much the same thing to Pacey about him and Dawson in 403 and Pacey even said something to Dawson in 504 about being there always. Give me a break. Come on.

Quote:
Pacey: What makes you say that?

Joey: Cause you know him just as well as he knows you. It's the nature of best friends.

Pacey: Ex-best friends, now.

Joey: You know, whether you guys hang out or not, he's still a part of you, Pace. How can you really be whole if you continue to pretend like he doesn't exist?
Joey says Dawson and Pacey are always going to be a part of each other. Past, present, future.

[ 02-09-2004: Message edited hshapir2 ]

KH asked about kissing her ex (JJ) in front of the cameras all day:

"Maybe there's a hint of realism?"
Old 02-09-2004, 03:35 PM
Dedicated Fan

<<<<<Was it simply because "it's Dawson Creek"?
Because it wouldve brought the show full circle?
Because they were the original couple?
Because you simply prefer them and you just wanted the payoff?

All of the above. But mostly the last one...I just always preferred Dawson and Joey as a couple. I also liked Pacey and Joey when they were together, but they never hald the "magic" of Dawson and Joey to me. I also don't think they ever really "got their shot" totally. It was always something with those two--Joey had to "find herself", or Dawson was too hurt in Season 3 to take Joey back, or that Natasha got in the way in Season 6...I just would have liked to have seen them get a real shot at a romantic relationship for longer than 6 consecutive episodes(Season 2). I also just always loved the "soulmates" idea and would have liked to have seen them end up together in the end after the YEARS of "angsting"/heartache on that show between the two of them. I know its not really "realistic"(who really ends up with their child-hood sweetheart in real-life?), but it is television where fairy-tales can come true(if the writers so-choose).
I also held a soft-spot for poor Dawson throughout the entire show..I always felt so bad for him that he never ended up with the girl in the end(Jen, Joey, Gretchen etc.) It just seemed like Pacey always got the girl and managed to hold on to them for a while (Tamara, Andie, Joey, Audrey, Melanie, etc. etc.)
Old 02-09-2004, 05:03 PM
Extreme Fan

For me its cause Number 1 there my all time favorite couple I love them so much. Number 2 I felt they have been put soooooooo much it was only fitting that in the end they finally come together. I was so sure it was gonna happen everytime some kind of heart ach happened I said its OK cause in the end there gonna be together. Oh in promcide just for clarification she said she will never love anyone the way she loved Dawson. not as much but the way. Oh AND I agree with Newmom I hate how after season 2 they never fully got there shot.

[ 02-09-2004: Message edited COOLCAT200 ]

[ 02-09-2004: Message edited COOLCAT200 ]
Old 02-09-2004, 05:57 PM
Master Fan

Fair enough.

I actually can see the allure in Dawson and JOey having been through all that they did and their fans finally getting a payoff making it all worthwhile. One thing that I concede royally sucked for DJ fans was the unintentional leading on for so long with nothing to show for it.

ALthough I can see the allure in that final payoff to me all that they went through proved that they shouldnt be together, not that they should.
Old 02-09-2004, 06:19 PM
Master Fan

I mainly wante d payoff for all the time we spent waiting. I felt it was a dissapointment. I'm a fan of both couples, so it's not as big of an issue. I also would've liked it to come full circle
Old 02-09-2004, 06:24 PM
Master Fan

Ok, well, these are plausible reasons I guess but what about why Dawson should get the girl. These reasons are ok but they're more on the personal preference side. What about reasons why Dawson shouldve gotten the girl? I know that some people felt like Dawson got the short end of the stick when he didnt end up with Joey or any woman, so why do you think he shouldve ended up with Joey? What had he or he and Joey done that made him more worthy of ending up with Joey than Pacey since, Im guessing, thats what most of you here feel.

I dunno if I phrased that right but worth a try.
Old 02-09-2004, 07:56 PM
Dedicated Fan

I think for me one of the main reasons why I could never get behind dj as a couple was because they talked alot about being together, but all they ever seemed willing to do was talk. they never seemed willing to actually make the commitment. Either she would bail or he would or he would put her on hold and it was always one excuse after another with them. And it's hard for me to see them as star crossed lovers because as far as I could tell the only thing standing in the way of them being together if that was what they really wanted was their inability to actually work at the relationship. everyone and their dog was practically lighting in the way for them to be together and almost all their obstacles seemd to be of their own making. They had chance after chance to be together, but at the first sign of a rough patch the relationship would fall apart. It got to the point where all I kept thinking was get together or don't get together, but make a freaking decision and stick with it already.
I agree I think the idea of them being together got built up to such a degree that it became less about what they really wanted and more about what they felt they should want. I just think that if they'd really wanted to be together they would have worked harder at being together.I think Dawson was important to Joey and she wanted to keep him in her life, but wasn't really sure how to make it work until the end of the show.
Old 02-10-2004, 05:21 AM
Total Fan

Probably i didn't build my argument well cuz i wanted to say too much..anyway i don't really think that what Joey said to Dawson at the promcide was about their friendship,it was more about their love or the idea of first love in fact then she added"And this is a good and bad thing" because she knows that nobody either will make her feeling that way...and anyway what i wanted to say about the PandJ first break up is that Joey didn't spend so much time pining after him..she ran in Dawson's arms or am i wrong?Did i see a different 4thseason end from all of you?Didn't she kiss him?Didn't she spend all 5th season thinking about the possibility to come back together with Dawson?Didn't she siad in the5thseason finale that she loved him but she was afraid to not be able to grow up with him?What i mean is that Joey has always been scared by the idea of having a love story with Dawson not because she didn't want to have it but because she knew that they were so similiar and know eachother so well that it would have been difficult to grown up together..it's like she doesn't know where she begins and He ends..they are the same soul in two different body.They need someone different by them to grown up as Pacey or Jen or someone else..i tought that in the finale they could finally have what they wanted but it's not been so..and i think it's right anyway because they're soulmates and what they feel will never end.I see the whole triangle P/J/D story as the Mr.Brooke's story.Do you remember what his bestfriend said at the hospital to Dawson?He said that he won the girl they both loved,married her and had a family but now that she's dead he knew that she would have come back to mr.Brooke because he had always had in her heart a special place that he had never had.I think the same thing about P/J/D.
Old 02-10-2004, 07:42 AM
Administrator

Well, I don’t think that Dawson so much “should have gotten the girl” as I feel that Dawson and Joey were never really given the chance to give their romantic relationship a real shot. Season Two ended up being the only season that Dawson and Joey were together romantically, and they barely had eight episodes where they were together and happy. After that season, the fans of this couple were cynically strung along by The Powers That Be with “soulmate declarations” and season ending kisses to make us think that maybe they’d finally have their shot, but it never happened.

From Season Two on, Dawson and Joey spent more time apart and estranged than they did together and happy, and not only was their romantic relationship destroyed, their friendship was destroyed as well. Therefore, in the end, I feel that the Dawson and Joey fans got nothing: no romance, no real friendship to speak of, and TMTB thought they could pacify the Dawson and Joey fans with one last “soulmate declaration” between them in the finale before we saw that she ended up with Pacey romantically, but to me, that declaration was phony and hollow, because thanks to the machinations of the cynical hacks in charge of this show, Dawson and Joey were barely friends, let alone “soulmates.”

I saw so much potential in Dawson and Joey’s story in Season One, and I was full of high hopes for them when Season Two began, but I honestly do think that their potential was wasted, and I think their “soulmate saga” became stale and boring, but I honestly don’t think it had to be that way, but c’est la vie.

Therefore, I don’t feel that Dawson “should have gotten the girl,” or that he “deserved Joey,” and ultimately, I was glad that Pacey and Joey ended up together, but I do feel sad that Dawson and Joey were never allowed to fulfill the potential I saw in them in Season One. Looking back, I wish that they had remained friends throughout the seasons, instead of them existing in a limbo like state through the seasons, where they weren’t really friends, and they weren’t a romantic couple, they were just . . . . nothing, and as someone who loved their friendship, and who thought that they would make a great romantic couple, I find that disillusioning.

There are those who look at things the way they are and ask why - I dream of things that never were and ask why not. - Robert F. Kennedy
Old 02-10-2004, 07:53 AM
Extreme Fan

Yeah Jerry after Coda happened I was so happy and excited and then his father died and it did not happen. Again I don't understand what the point of the end of season 5 was for if they were only gonna follow through for hour and a half. I hated how the show toyed with the D/JERS.
Old 02-10-2004, 08:20 AM
New Fan

[
Closed Thread   Post New Thread