Remember Me?
Register

New Forum Poll   |     Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Closed Thread   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Thread Tools
Old 02-22-2005, 07:18 PM
Master Fan

What if Kevin had stayed?

I just got the Season Three DVD, and Paul Stupin mentions during the "True Love" commentary that the final scene is one of the reasons why he and Kevin debated who Joey should end up with for the finale. I've often wondered over the years what would have been different about the show if Kevin had stayed, or at least played a hand in the seasons following the second.

For example, would Pacey and Joey have had such a long and important relationship? Would Pacey and Joey have ended up together (I have the feeling that if Kevin were still on the show, the answer to this would be No...)? Would Dawson and Joey have gotten back together "for real"?

I know it seems pointless to think about it, but it's interesting to note the way the show changed since Kevin left, either positively or negatively.

And yeah. No couple wars please? Thought I'd just add that.
i got stuck on the side you know i never chose
but it's all about taking the easy way out for you i suppose
Old 02-22-2005, 07:29 PM
Elite Fan

I think he thought about getting Dawson and Andie together.
Old 02-22-2005, 08:48 PM
Extreme Fan

I think P/J would have happened no question but maybe not done in the same exact fashion. I don't think he would have let Andie just fade away. I think maybe he would not have had D/J's relationship shown the same way. But who knows.

Joey:I know that there's a part of me that will be in love with you for the rest of my life.
Dawson and Joey
Old 02-23-2005, 01:05 AM
Fan Forum Hero

There sure won't be any Eve if he stayed on the show, I think I heard about that, what he said years ago *shrug*
Old 02-23-2005, 10:52 AM
Dedicated Fan

I don't know about anything else, but I think the show might have been a little more cohesive if for no other reason than I think KW was more of a creative brain than PS seemed to be. But I don't know about storylines and how they would have developed because I assume on a tv show it's not just up to one person. I also don't really see PS as less of a DJ fan than KW so I have no idea how that storyline would have developed especially since he was at least in part responsible for starting the break up to make up routine that plagued their relationship.

Also I don't think the people in charge of s3 ever expected PJ to catch on the way they did with the audience so I don't think even they planned on them becoming as big a storyline as they did or for them to eclipse DJ the way they did so it might be interesting to see how he would have handled the surprise of it all. Whether he would have been happy to go with the flow or not and see where it went or whether his attitude would have been more in the vein of PS and co. trying to torpedo it asap.

But other than that I always thought KW was somewhat overrated so I can't imagine why the show would have been that much better even if he'd stayed on.

Quote:
Would Pacey and Joey have ended up together (I have the feeling that if Kevin were still on the show, the answer to this would be No...)
This one I'd probably say no too, except I think the fact that he came back to write the finale was what cemented the PJ ending. I get the feeling if he hadn't come back it would have ended the way everyone was expecting with DJ which could suggest that nothing was set in stone for him as far as storylines went and maybe if he'd felt that another storyline was working better i.e PJ over DJ then he'd have been happy to go with it.

Last edited by coldwater1010; 02-23-2005 at 11:27 AM
Old 02-23-2005, 12:26 PM
Master Fan

There's obviously no way to tell for sure but I think more than just KEvin's personal opinion onthings has to be taken into account. THere are a lot of things that dictated what happened on the show, not just Paul Stupins personal vision. THe decision to keep Pacey and Joey together for longer than 8 episodes, the decision to not put Dawson and Joey together in season 5, the decision to end the show with Pacey and Joey all had a lot to do with the network and fan reaction, things that Kevin Williamson wouldve had zero control over and wouldve had to go with if he'd stayed. I think the show as a whole may have turned out better organized or perhaps some of the storylines may have been better for Jen or Jack and some storylines we may have never seen otherwise may have surfaced (Andie/Dawson?) but I think some of the main stories on Dawsons Creek wouldve definitely still gone down and the fan reaction and network wouldve had a lot to do with those stories. I dont think it should be underrated that KW DID end Pacey and Joey together in reality which shows that he wasnt out to end the show with Dawson and Joey no matter what, or else he wouldve. That said, I do think that Kevin's aim throughout the seasons wouldve been to bring Dawson and Joey back to one another but I honestly think that was the aim of the writers in season 3 and another route ended up being taken so you really never know.
Old 02-23-2005, 12:54 PM
Extreme Fan

The only thing is with season 5 and D/J I just don't think anything in the season that happened or not was really about fan reaction in that season because too many things just made no sense.

Joey:I know that there's a part of me that will be in love with you for the rest of my life.
Dawson and Joey
Old 02-23-2005, 05:04 PM
Dedicated Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by jopace1970
I think he thought about getting Dawson and Andie together.
You're cracking me up

I think that Dawson's Creek would end up the same in the end....Kevin was the man of the show(the main author) and I'm guessing that they couldn't make some important decision without at least consulting him....Maybe somethings would be different,but the end was the best way to go.....

I think that there's no way he would let Pacey and Joey to stay together in the very end if they(him first) didn't wanted it that way...

I'm sorry if someone's angry with me after this post,but I'm just speaking my mind
SeeBones#63 SwingSetter YoBlinger#50 Snickers ZooBaby#43 SMACked#20 TrueLover#153
JavaJunkie FerryBoater#176 Exhibitionist#136 Copulator#184 Masochist Savior#167
Old 02-23-2005, 06:01 PM
Extreme Fan

Quote:
THe decision to keep Pacey and Joey together for longer than 8 episodes,
Sugz, were they only suppose to stay together for 8 episodes or is that the general span of a tv relationship?

Quote:
But other than that I always thought KW was somewhat overrated
Me too! Don't get me wrong, I loved the first two seasons of "Dawson's Creek". It's what defined "Dawson's Creek" and put them on the map and where my obsession began. But everyone always complains that they miss the "innocence" of the show. Which was fine when they were 15, but characters grow and have to face reality sooner or later. So if it were Season 4 and everyone was still "holding hands", it would be a little unrealistic to how kids in high school really act. "Dawson's Creek" was a coming of age tv drama, so once they came OF AGE, they had to move forward from there.

Pacey and Joey

Proud NikitaWitter Avie User
Old 02-23-2005, 06:50 PM
Dedicated Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrueLovePJer
But everyone always complains that they miss the "innocence" of the show. Which was fine when they were 15, but characters grow and have to face reality sooner or later. So if it were Season 4 and everyone was still "holding hands", it would be a little unrealistic to how kids in high school really act. "Dawson's Creek" was a coming of age tv drama, so once they came OF AGE, they had to move forward from there.
Nicely put
SeeBones#63 SwingSetter YoBlinger#50 Snickers ZooBaby#43 SMACked#20 TrueLover#153
JavaJunkie FerryBoater#176 Exhibitionist#136 Copulator#184 Masochist Savior#167
Old 02-23-2005, 07:55 PM
Extreme Fan

Thank you pribsa

Pacey and Joey

Old 02-23-2005, 10:24 PM
Elite Fan

Quote:
THe decision to keep Pacey and Joey together for longer than 8 episodes,
Weren't they going to split them up during November sweeps?

Quote:
But everyone always complains that they miss the "innocence" of the show. Which was fine when they were 15, but characters grow and have to face reality sooner or later. So if it were Season 4 and everyone was still "holding hands", it would be a little unrealistic to how kids in high school really act. "Dawson's Creek" was a coming of age tv drama, so once they came OF AGE, they had to move forward from there.
Well said TruelovePJer!
Old 02-23-2005, 10:34 PM
Elite Fan

I never saw the show as innocent. Pacey was sleeping with his teacher at fifteen. Jen had sex at twelve. Jen had sex with Chris in season 2 in a one night stand. I don't see this innocence

KH asked about kissing her ex (JJ) in front of the cameras all day:

"Maybe there's a hint of realism?"
Old 02-23-2005, 10:44 PM
Extreme Fan

Quote:
Well said TruelovePJer!
Thanks jopace!

Quote:
I never saw the show as innocent. Pacey was sleeping with his teacher at fifteen. Jen had sex at twelve. Jen had sex with Chris in season 2 in a one night stand. I don't see this innocence
For real hshapir! Where's the innocence?!

Pacey and Joey

Old 02-23-2005, 10:46 PM
Elite Fan

thanks truelove P

KH asked about kissing her ex (JJ) in front of the cameras all day:

"Maybe there's a hint of realism?"
Fan Forum  |  Contact Us  |  Fan Forum on Twitter  |  Fan Forum on Facebook  |  Archive  |  Top