Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Closed Thread   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Thread Tools
Old 12-23-2004, 04:22 PM
Master Fan

True Love? Pacey and Joey or Dawson and Joey?

This topic spurned off of a topic started by Acqua called " Anti Pacey&Joey Thread-Because Dawson is Joey's true love" and a post made by TrueLovePJer, whom I will quote:

Quote:

I'm confused by the title of this thread. "Because Dawson is Joey's true love"? I thought Dawson was Joey's first love, not true love. I could be wrong, but wasn't that the whole point of Season 3? Pacey is her true love. Remember when they sailed into the beautiful sunset together on True Love? What a great moment! And then Season 4 came along and it gave even more reason why these two are so perfect for each other.

I know that according to Dawson's Creek Pacey and Joey were tagged th "True Love's" of Dawson's Creek to the point of sailing off on a boat called as much however many Dawson and Joey supporters consider Dwson and Joey the "real" true love of the Creek. So putting aside the fact that in line with DC Pacey and Joey were "true love" who do you feel had the truest love on the show and why?
Old 12-23-2004, 06:23 PM
Master Fan

Aaaahh Sugz...this is a very loaded topic...therefore it'll be an interesting one.

Ok seeing as I support one couple over the other...I'm gonna be a bit biased...so you'll have to forgive me.

All right...in my mind...true love is when you think of the other person's well-being over your own. You make sacrifices...you show them in many little ways that you love them...there are no ultimatums held over their head...there are no guilt trips...just plain love. It's not because of the fact that Pacey and Joey sailed away in a boat called "True Love" that they automatically have it. It's the little things in their relationship that show how much those two really do love each other. Especially on Pacey's part. Whatever he did...he had Joey in mind. It would just be such a blessing if we could all experience someone who loved us so much that he would be wherever we were...or do things for us out of unselfish love...or just say things that would encourage us.

Personally I am so happy of how DC ended...because those two should be together...and Dawson, Joey and Pacey have mended their friendship ties with one another.

Ok...now I may be putting myself out there for criticism and such but...I just HAD to answer the question. So thanks for reading.
Say you'll need me with you now and always
Promise me that all you say is true
That's all I ask of you
Old 12-23-2004, 07:34 PM
Master Fan

I totally agree with you, Starfire. This is a very loaded question and it will be very interesting to see what everyone has to say. Thanks for starting the topic, Sugz.

In my opinion, the couple who held true love was Pacey and Joey. Not because they sailed off into the sunset together at the end of Season 3, but because, in my opinion, the feelings that they both felt for one another was real. Now, the feelings that Dawson and Joey felt for one another were real, but, like Joey said in the finale...it was completely innocent. When Dawson and Joey were together, they were sitting on his bed, watching E.T., still 15 years old. When one of their feelings conflicted with another ones, they each headed in different directions.

With Pacey and Joey, yes, there were arguments and situations where they felt different about certain subjects, BUT they did not run from the situation. They sorted out their feelings and resolved what was bothering them. Even after the break-up, they were comfortable around each other after some time apart. They got back into a niche with one another (banter, hanging out, etc...). In my eyes, that is something true.

I think with the series finale, it was summed perfectly with the three friends who started out the show were the last ones that we saw. We see that their friendship was gaining ground and they were working on something totally new. That something being, the beginning of Pacey and Joey together (true and real love) and the beginning of Dawson, Pacey and Joey friendship: The Adult Years.

Ali******Avi by *Angie*
Goodbye One Tree Hill
Old 12-23-2004, 07:41 PM
Master Fan

Great input so far. I'd love to hear a differing point of view if anyone else is willing to offer one though. I know it's not only me who's heard others refer to Dawson and Joey as the real true love of the Creek, here's the place to explain yourself. Anyone willing?
Old 12-23-2004, 08:06 PM
Extreme Fan

First of, thank you Sugz for not giving me the boot and starting this new thread instead I didn't realize my comment would be so controversial. So now to the question...obviously I think Pacey and Joey are the "True Love's" of Dawson Creek...HENCE my user name. Pacey and Joey's love is "True Love" because it was actually their first real relationship as adults. With Dawson and Joey, I always felt their relationship was forced and very 1st gradish. A relationship is about growing together, learning new things about oneself with the help of the other person, and constantly loving and supporting each other no matter what. In "Self-Reliance", Joey admits that her and Pacey have grown up together, while her and Dawson are still 15. When Pacey bought Joey the wall, she says how Pacey challenges her in a way no other person would even think of. And throughout Season 4, the audience is given numerous examples of how they support and love each other. Whether it be Pacey supporting Joey's decision to go to Worthington and even saying that if she ever felt he held her back, to cut him loose (even though he never did) or Joey deciding to have sex with Pacey for the first time because every part of her loves him, they always showed their support and love for each other. The Series Finale sums up the difference between Pacey and Joey's love, compared to Dawson and Joey's perfectly. Dawson and Joey's love was pure and eternally innocent, while Pacey and Joey's love was real. And of course Pacey and Joey sailing off into the sunset on True Love doesn't validate, but it definitely was the icing on the cake

Pacey and Joey

Proud NikitaWitter Avie User
Old 12-23-2004, 08:46 PM
Part-Time Fan

good topic. I may be biased but I think that although Dawson was Joeys first love Pacey was her true love. I saw someones siggy (not sure who) but is said that joey told Pacey she couldn't give him a reason to stay but she told Dawson that she had to ask him to stay cause it just wasn't her not to. Well Joey couldn't give Pacey a reason to stay because she didn't want to hold him back she wanted to go with him. And you could just see it in her face that she was more comfortable with Pacey than Dawson. And who did she lose it to again?

"If you asked me what was more important, you or my life, and I responded with 'my life,' you may walk away and never find out that you are my life..."
Old 12-23-2004, 11:16 PM
Administrator

Great topic Kim. I’d like to preface this post by saying that deep down in my heart, I’ll always be a D/Jer. They touched my heart like no other couple on a television show ever had, and to me, the idea of best friends falling in love is incredibly appealing, and I’ll always be sad that they didn’t fulfill, or weren’t allowed to fulfill, the potential that I saw in them in Season One.

With that being said, however, based on what we saw on the show, Pacey and Joey had the true love of Dawson’s Creek. Whenever Dawson and Joey tried to get together romantically, something always happened to break them up very quickly, and in the aftermath of them finally sleeping together, break them up almost immediately, and they didn’t have the will to try and work out their problems as a couple and actually be a couple. I thought it was telling that Joey dropped everything went sailing with Pacey for an entire summer, but when Dawson asked her to spend a summer with him, she turned him down. Their love couldn’t survive any obstacle that was placed in their path, so there’s no way that I can claim that Dawson and Joey had the truest love on the show.

With Pacey and Joey, however, their love did survive the obstacles that were placed in their path, and we saw in Season Four that they worked out their problems together, and although they broke up after high school ended, they had an enduring love that was rekindled briefly while Joey was still in college, and was rekindled permanently in the aftermath of Jen’s death. One thing that I feel is important is that even after they broke up the first time, Pacey and Joey, after a certain amount of time spent apart, remained friends, while Dawson and Joey’s friendship became a pale echo of what it was, and they spent more time apart and estranged over the years than together and happy, even as friends.

I also feel that Dawson and Joey hurt each other a great deal more than Pacey and Joey did, and I think they both crossed a line where it would be impossible for them to recapture what they once had for an all-too-brief period of time, but Pacey and Joey never crossed that line, so the concept of them rekindling their romantic relationship was a lot more plausible than Dawson and Joey rekindling their romantic relationship.

Therefore, looking back, I feel that Pacey and Joey had the truest love on Dawson’s Creek.

There are those who look at things the way they are and ask why - I dream of things that never were and ask why not. - Robert F. Kennedy
Old 12-24-2004, 07:25 AM
Elite Fan

Well said Jerry. I always love reading your well thought out posts. Even your old ones. *winks*

I always wanted Dawson and Joey to work on their friendship and it makes me sad that they didn't.
Old 12-25-2004, 03:27 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by jopace1970
Well said Jerry. I always love reading your well thought out posts. Even your old ones. *winks*
Aww thanks! Yeah, I have a lot of my old stuff saved, and I sometimes re-post them here, but a lot of what I wrote then is dated now, because my view Dawson and Joey and Pacey and Joey changed a lot over the years, so what I felt then is very different from what I feel now.

There are those who look at things the way they are and ask why - I dream of things that never were and ask why not. - Robert F. Kennedy
Old 12-25-2004, 03:32 PM
Elite Fan

Quote:
thought it was telling that Joey dropped everything went sailing with Pacey for an entire summer, but when Dawson asked her to spend a summer with him, she turned him down.
word Jerry. I've also read some of your old posts. Those things are brutal. LOL. This is so true. Like what Joey told Pacey in 402. Dawson could never inspire her to run a way with him. Joey had no excuse. She had money and Bessie didn't even need her.

KH asked about kissing her ex (JJ) in front of the cameras all day:

"Maybe there's a hint of realism?"
Old 12-25-2004, 03:43 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by hshapir2
word Jerry. I've also read some of your old posts. Those things are brutal. LOL.
LOL hshapir2! Yeah, looking back, some of my old posts were pretty brutal, and I laugh now when I occasionally re-read them. I’ve decided not to re-post anything old now, because my views have changed too much, but sometimes I use one of my old posts if it still applies now. Merry Christmas!

Old 12-25-2004, 03:57 PM
Extreme Fan

Sadly although I do think Dawson/Joey's journey on the show should have lead to them ending up together in the end............The show never gave them a chance. Sadly in the later season's things were ended before they could even begin.

Happy Holidays to all.
Old 12-25-2004, 06:01 PM
Part-Time Fan

Well no offense but I would break it off with a guy to if I slept with him and he had a girlfriend in another state that he failed to tell me about.

"If you asked me what was more important, you or my life, and I responded with 'my life,' you may walk away and never find out that you are my life..."
Old 12-26-2004, 01:12 AM
Master Fan

I think they were given many chances, they just never capitalized on them. After all in season 3 and season 6 when PJ were in the situation to be together they made it work both times, at least for a while, had they not, would it be said that they "were never given a chance"? No, they were given chances, and they took them, Dawson and Joey did not.
Old 12-26-2004, 02:31 AM
Extreme Fan

I don't really know if I count P/J in mid season 6 as ''being together'' for a few episodes for it too only end very quickly. Season 4 was when they were given a chance to have a full relationship. Dawson and Joey never were given a chance for a full relationship. I guess the best they really got was season 2. I am talking about the writing pretty much.
Closed Thread   Post New Thread