Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Closed Thread   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Thread Tools
Old 01-25-2004, 05:53 PM
Master Fan

The Stupidest Thing To Come Out Of DC

Well since we're all still posting here Dawson's Creek is obviously a show that we all loved and became attached to. There's no two ways about that. But still, the show had its lapses of stupidity. So in your eyes, what was the stupidest thing to come out of DC?

To make that question less broad though, here are a few ground rules.

Im not talking "The whole PJ relationship!" or "Every DJ scene". No, that was not stupid, there were many fans of both, thus, it wasnt a stupid thing. Think logically here. Something that most people would agree was pretty much ridiculous and unnecessary. You cant post entire seasons that you didnt like, you cant post storylines you didnt like, because Im not asking what parts of DC you personally disliked, Im asking what generally stupid, unbelievable things came out of the writers room.
Also, I know that things like Dawson having a stripper party in his house was dumb, and Pacey and Joey getting locked in a KMart were unrealistic, but not necessarily stupid, they did serve a dramatic purpose. Im talking the stupid and unnecessary things.
This kind of walks a fine line so if anyone disagrees with anyone else, please discuss.

Personally some of the more idiotic things to come out of DC was Joeys mugging. Not th mugging in itself but the bantering and singing that accompanied it. Just plain stupid. I also thought the piece of crap conversation between Dawson and Mr. Brooks old friend in "A Winters Tale" was beyond stupid and a dumb attempt to pacify DJers with empty sayings about the first love meaning more than a life partner. Stupid, and untrue.
Old 01-25-2004, 06:23 PM
Master Fan

Quote:
Originally posted by Sugz:
<STRONG>Personally some of the more idiotic things to come out of DC was Joeys mugging. Not th mugging in itself but the bantering and singing that accompanied it. Just plain stupid.</STRONG>
[img]smilies/lol.gif[/img] The singing... It all just sort of came out of nowhere.

What about "Jen's sister?"
Old 01-25-2004, 08:24 PM
Fan Forum Legend

Quote:
Originally posted by missalana:
<STRONG>

[img]smilies/lol.gif[/img] The singing... It all just sort of came out of nowhere.

What about "Jen's sister?"</STRONG>
Oh that really has always bugged me. Jen never found out. I mean I didn't like Eve but when you think about it that could have been a really good story for her. She never got any really good material to work with until the last episode. I still think nobody needed to die on the finale.

"To me, this is much more real. If these two crazy kids can make it work, it will be a lot more interesting than a kind of romance with obstacles thrown in." - Marti Noxon

Old 01-25-2004, 10:14 PM
Master Fan

Quote:
Originally posted by Jaime Bee:
<STRONG>I still think nobody needed to die on the finale.</STRONG>
I agree with you on this. I never quite understood the need to kill off Jen's character. I started to watching the reruns on TBS at the beginning of this month and pretty much during every episode, Jen does or says something and I think, if only you know you were going to die several years from now. Granted it's just a TV show, but it just doesn't make sense to kill her off.

As for the mugging ... yeah, Joey singing was pretty dumb.
Old 01-25-2004, 10:23 PM
Master Fan

Yea but Jen dying isnt a stupid thing that came out of DC. Sure, its something most of us couldve done without and didnt want but from a drama/finale/get people ot tune in standpoint it wasntd umb. And it didnt make you roll your eyes as Michelle was acting, etc.
Old 01-25-2004, 11:41 PM
Addicted Fan

Downtown Crossing.... enough said [img]smilies/lol.gif[/img]

Icon credit: IceQueenFollower
Old 01-26-2004, 07:47 AM
Extreme Fan

Also, I know that things like Dawson having a stripper party in his house was dumb, and Pacey and Joey getting locked in a KMart were unrealistic, but not necessarily stupid, they did serve a dramatic purpose.

I don't get your difference between stupid and serve a dramatic purpose. The whole of 523 was stupid, the J singing in S5 was stupid and hundreds of other things. That's DC for you. I really would like to know what dramatic purpose the stripper party had...
Old 01-26-2004, 08:28 AM
Loyal Fan

1. Joey singing and badly at that(just my opinion).

2. Joey singing and badly at that to her mugger in Downtown Crossing.

3. The entire insulting episode known as "Downtown Crossing" or a more appropriate title should have been "How to sing and charm your way into the heart of a downtown mugger".

4. Joey's ability to jump from one talent to another without any explanation...she was a painter, a writer, a singer. PLEASE someone refresh my memory because I really wasn't into seasons 5 or 6 much...What did Joey finally become? Was it none of the above?

5. Disappearing characters into the black hole of Dawson's Creek. It would have been cool to at least hear some of these lost characters mentioned once in a while to tie the show together. Would it hurt to have heard a little bit about Jen's sister, Henry, Drue and even Andie (she was a major charcter on that show) couldn't Jack have spoken about her once in awhile or have Pacey (who was so deeply involved with her at one time) ask Jack "Hey how's your sister doing?"

Common sense was lacking in some of the writing on this show and again that's just my opinion.
Old 01-26-2004, 08:52 AM
Master Fan

Quote:
Originally posted by joske:
<STRONG>

I don't get your difference between stupid and serve a dramatic purpose. The whole of 523 was stupid, the J singing in S5 was stupid and hundreds of other things. That's DC for you. I really would like to know what dramatic purpose the stripper party had...</STRONG>

Ok well the point of this thread isnt to vent on what you didnt like about the show. Anyone can come in here and say "Episode 523 sucked and it was stupid", but thats not the point of the thread and to everyone 523 was not stupid. The point of the thread is to point out the "brain farts" that came out of the writers room. Things that were honestly unnecessary and served no point when it came to a certain storylines. The things that almost any fan of any shipper group would agree on as dumb. This pretty much translates into small parts of a scene or pieces of dialogue that make you wonder how the writers got work.

Things like the stripper party and the KMart stuff, although unrealistic, were things that pretty much facilitated the entire storyline of the episode. Although I think the stripper party borderlined on being in this category it's something that, upon promoting, would get people to tune in for season 3, same with getting trapped in a KMart, from a marketing viewpoint? Good storyline. Episode 523 as a whole wasnt stupid joske, it's just an episode you didnt like, but as a whole it couldve happened whereas Joey singing with her mugger in season 5 was just absolutely ridiculous from sending a bad message to people watching down to it being something that realistically would have a .2 percent chance of ever happening.

Like I said, it's a fine line but Im not looking for episodes or even storylines here, just pretty much small bits that popped up in an episode and made you go "huh?!"
And example being that crap spewed by Brooks' old friend in A Winters Tale. Pointless, untrue and served no real purpose but to pacify people.
Old 01-26-2004, 09:06 AM
Extreme Fan

The Eve stuff cause it went no where. I was like what was the point? Even in the later seasons when they would mention her name it's like yeah Jen has this sister she knows nothing about.
Old 01-26-2004, 09:16 AM
Master Fan

I dunno. I liked the Eve storyline. It was funny. Sure it went nowhere and left question marks regarding Jen but the writers obviously sat down and wrote a few episodes with Eve in them so its not like it was just a brain lapse on their part, they were into it for a while and the point of it was to create new drama and suspense. It ultimately failed but the storyline did have a point for a while.
Old 01-26-2004, 10:22 AM
Extreme Fan

Brooks's death served a dramatic purpose so it wasn't stupid. Eve's story didn't serve a dramatic purpose. So obviously only you decide whether it is dramatic or stupid???
Old 01-26-2004, 10:25 AM
Fan Forum Star

I think the whole charlie thing was really not a point to a storyline the writers, should of left alone, i mean do we honestly believe that this guy first went to jen and then did her wrong and suddenly goes to joey, i think that storyline could of been done without.
Old 01-26-2004, 10:29 AM
Master Fan

*Sigh* joske...retract the claws.

I didnt say that Brooks death served no dramatic purpose, it certainly did, after all Dawson had to get his Joey-money from somewhere right? What I said was the speech Brooks old friend made to Dawson about your first love somehow always being more important than the person you spend your life with was complete rubbish and seemed like some sort of a brain wave lapse by the write who wrote it.

Im looking at this from a writers viewpoint joske, and EVE , from the writers viewpoint, was a good idea at one time. They had an arc with her in it, they were developing her and somewhere along the way they dropped it. So in hindsight yea, it was dumb, but Eve as a storyline didcreate drama. Between Dawson and Pacey, between Joey and Dawson and potentially with Jen whereas Joey singing with her mugger was pointless as was Brooks' friends nonsensical speech.

Its not that I get to decide what was stupid and what wasnt you just apparently dont see my point.

Relax.

ETA- Ok, it looks like the meaning of this thread is lost [img]smilies/lol.gif[/img] I cant really explain what I meant it to be so I guess we'll just make it "What Didnt Make Sense To You".

*shrug*

[ 01-26-2004: Message edited Sugz ]
Old 01-26-2004, 10:58 AM
Dedicated Fan

I agree with everyone as far as Joey's mugging and her singing in Season 5.
And of course the whole Eve thing...ridiculous.

But other things that have not been mentioned:

Pacey and Joey sailing to the Florida Keys for 3 months at age 17?? Although romantic, I always thought that it was unrealistic for 2 teenagers to be allowed to do this...or for Pacey to be knowledgable enough to be able to sail a boat on his own for 3 months at such a young age. Also--what did they do for money? I know they said they took "odd jobs" but still....besides the video store job, how would Pacey get enough money to both fix up his boat, and survive for 3 months they were away? Also--that boat really looked way to small to live on for 3 months.

In "2 Gentlemen of Capeside"...Again, a teenager knowing how to drive a boat through a hurricane and rescuing people? Especially Dawson who obviously didnt know much about sailing/boating(Show Me Love).

And the whole Dawson/Joey sleeping in the same bed until age 15? There is NO WAY I would allow that to happen as a parent.

And finally...Dawson remaining a virgin until Season 5. Come on...he had so many gorgeous women literally throwing themselves at him, and he never gave in?? Please.....
I remember James even commenting on that on TRL.
Closed Thread   Post New Thread