Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Closed Thread   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Thread Tools
Old 06-06-2004, 08:53 PM
Extreme Fan

Series Finals discussion

I have an idea for a pretty good off topic thing We all of course have are opinions on the Dawson's Creek Series Finale so my question is what are you're feelings on other Shows Series finales you have scene like 90210, Wonder Years, Friends ect.
Old 06-06-2004, 11:15 PM
Master Fan

Im going to leave this thread open only if we can please keep the discussion in the realm of comparing the DC season finale with other season finale's because a season finale discussion of other series wouldnt really be allowed on this board since this is the Dawson's Creek board and you could discuss the finale's of other shows on their respective boards.
Old 06-07-2004, 05:41 AM
Administrator

The series finale of The Wonder Years reminded me of Dawson’s Creek as far as how the ever volatile relationship of Kevin and Winnie was showcased in that episode. Kevin and Winnie definitely had their ups and downs over the years, much like Dawson and Joey, and Winnie was often like Joey in that she would often break up with Kevin in pursuit of “greener pastures” romantically, but then she’d come back to Kevin eventually, (as she did in that episode). We saw Kevin and Winnie seemingly consummate their feelings for one another in that episode (although it was left for us to decide if they actually made love in that barn) and I also remember what Kevin had said about how everything in his life had centered around Winnie. In the end, however, despite the love they had for each other, Kevin and Winnie didn’t end up together romantically, but they remained lifelong friends, just like Dawson and Joey.

There are those who look at things the way they are and ask why - I dream of things that never were and ask why not. - Robert F. Kennedy
Old 06-07-2004, 06:31 AM
Master Fan

Ill go with Friends for this thread, Im sure that finale is still fresh in people's minds. Ive always seen Ross and Rachel as Dawson and Joey in a lot of ways. For one, I cant stand Ross just like I cant stand Dawson. Ross is extremely anal and high strung and he freaks out far too often. And Rachel was the girl he always wanted, the girl that everyone else seemingly wanted too, th leading lady. They had the same dating situation, one and off for a long while, the romantic undertones seemingly always there. Although I think they did a better job with R/R in terms of setting them up with other characters and giving them other relationships not linked to each other I think the R/R story held a lot of other stories back just like I feel the D/J story cut short a lot of other stories on DC. I also feel like by the end of the series, even though Ross and Rachel did end up together, that they really lost their luster, it was far too little far too late and I just think their characters evolved into different people from when they were good together. I also feel like the other characters on the show seemed to turn to goo in favor of Ross and Rachel no matter their personal situation (like Joey and Phoebe) the same as some DC characters did in episodes like Coda when Jen and Jack suddenly became hardcore soulmate advocates. Its just rings very false to me. So I wasnt all that ecstatic when Ross and Rachel did end up together vowing some "this is it, really" line when it was never "it" in the past, but I was ecstatic when Dawson and Joey didnt because thats just the way I feel it shouldve been.

Last edited by Sugz; 06-07-2004 at 08:49 AM
Old 06-07-2004, 08:06 AM
Extreme Fan

I was a big Wonder Years fan and a Kevin and Winnie fan but unlike Dawson and Joey I could actually understand Kevin and Winnie not ending up together. I would have liked to have scene more stuff with Kevin and Paul in the Series Finale. Overall I thought it was good and compared to Dawson's Creeks I think it was not as dramatic because there was no death in it but I thought it was a nice way for it to end with Kevin and Winnie in the barn because that was always the main thing with the show.
Old 06-07-2004, 11:24 AM
Extreme Fan

Its so funny you mention the Wonder Years I was thinking about that show yesterday. But onto the Series Finale:

I liked it. For me it was a emotional two hours....and I loved every minute. My favorite part was Pacey's Speech to Joey and when he was in Jen's room in the hospital ....But I liked it all.

I loved it even more b/c P/J ended up together. I have to admit at one point I was a D/J fan but I understand why they didn't end up together because throughout the Seasons even when they were dating they were more friends than anything else. With P/J you could see the love between them . SO in conclusion I'm happy with the Series Finale

avi:Babss
Old 06-07-2004, 02:50 PM
Fan Forum Legend

Moderator of ...
Everwood

Well, as you can probably tell from my constant Ross and Rachel stuff going on on the bottom of my posts.. .. Ross and Rachel are my favorite couple in history of tv and even more importantly they were on my favorite show of all time..

It's funny to see the comparison between Ross and Rachel and Dawson and Joey because I don't see it. I think Ross and Rachel are way more like Pacey and Joey in my opinion. We were actually discussing this on the Friends boards a short while ago...

One thing I will say is I LOVE the story that was all about Ross and Rachel. The geeky nerd that has loved the popular girl since 9th grade. Love it. Probably why I love The O.C's Seth and Summer so much because I love their same scenario with the geeky nerd and the popular girl.

Back to the similarities of R/R and P/J.. For one, the chemistry between Jennifer and David absolutely BLEW me away the instant I saw them on the screen together ten years ago. They just have it and I devoured their characters instantly because I fell in love with their chemistry in the pilot and it never wavered.. And the last handful of episodes leading up to the series finale literally blew me away and I was in tears while watching the interaction between David and Jennifer on the screen as Ross and Rachel. It was just so real and powerful. They convinced me that they were meant to be because David and Jennifer KNEW they were meant to be, if that makes any sense. Their love story was complete and it was just priceless.

Another reason how I saw them as more Pacey and Joey is because they always had an intense passion together whenever they were a couple. You just FELT that they were in love by the physical closeness, emotional bond, and just the nonverbal interaction. Even ther general friendship scenes had intense passion in them.

I also love the bantering both couples had together. While their bantering was different in a lot of ways, both R/R and P/J had it going on and I mostly love how Rachel and Joey would ALWAYS put Ross and Pacey in their place when it called for.. Hee. I guess what I am saying is I love that while both Rachel and Joey were with Ross and Pacey, they were still strong women and maybe even stronger because they were also in love. I just love the feistiness that both Rachel and Joey had and especially towards Ross and Pacey.

The other thing about R/R is that whenever they weren't officially a couple and were back in friendship mode, they let each other grow, breathe and be in other relationships, just like Pacey and Joey did. I mean, they knew deep down that they were still in love with each other, and still, their love for each other never held them back from moving on in life and growing as separate individuals. They both went on journeys together as a couple, and then apart as just friends, and all roads lead right back to them.. That is what was so neat and brilliant about their relationship. They found their way back to each other in the end and that is what made their story so damn beautiful. I think way back in season three whenever R/R broke up, it was perfect for them to do so or else they would never know for sure if they were meant to be. And what they found in the end was that they were "it" for each other. I just love the healthy love story that was portrayed on the screen. Just beautiful. Not unlike Pacey and Joey.

I also did not see Ross as Dawson in any way, shape or form. Ross was a great guy. He had his annoying qualities but the guy was one of the most unselfish people out of the six. He always loved Rachel so intensely, he was willing to always let her do what she wanted to do if it meant she would be happy. The way he handled the short potential triangle was remarkable. In fact, he handled it so selflessly, he would never allow it to be a triangle. Sure, he had his hard time with it in TOW Ross Is Fine, (Which I think David gave a brilliant performance and one of his best ever in both comedic as well as dramatic) but that was just Ross getting through the pain and shock. He allowed Friends Joey and Rachel to explore things and never stood in the way. Rachel meant that much to him.. And even Friends Joey for that matter. He would never, stand in the way of their happiness if it was meant to be. He handled things with perfection and it just proved what a decent, caring and selfless guy he was. It is safe to say Ross definitely did not handle things Dawson-like during this time. I saw Ross as Pacey in this scenario with how Pacey told Joey in the series finale that if Dawson is who was going to make her happy, that is all he wanted. Cuz honestly that is what Ross always wanted for Rachel. Her happiness.

I do agree that the general tone of the beginning "it" couple was always D/J and R/R.. And the will they or won't they scenario was always present.. But that is the only two similarities that I see R/R had with D/J.. As far as the type of general person Ross was, he was more Pacey like with his selflessness and always wanting Rachel to be happy like Pacey did Joey. And once Ross and Rachel started to date, I saw their passionate relationship very similar to Pacey and Joey. And the great chemistry between both couples is another similarity that I see. David and Rachel and Josh and Katie had it for me.
------------------------------------------------
Now, a word on the Friends series finale. I LOVED it with a freaking passion. It was perfect. Literally perfect. I loved how the brilliant writers tied the loose ends to all six characters. I loved the Ross and Rachel love scene at the beginning. It was perfect. Classic Ross bragging in his nerdy way about the Sex For Dummies book he got as he is eating up the fact that Rachel commended him on his new moves.

I loved the Ross and Phoebe scenes together in the cab and at the airport. David and Lisa were exceptional together and so damn funny! Loved whenever Ross basically dies in Phoebe's arms whenever Rachel initially gets back on the plane.

Loved the goodbye scenes between Joey and Chandler. Perfect.

Loved the hospital scenes with C/M. Awesome. SO funny, whenever they spazed whenever the doctor informs them that another one is one the way.

Loved the scramble and anxiety on the plane whenever Rachel accidently lets it slip that her friend said there was something wrong with the left philange!

And, of course I devoured all the Ross and Rachel stuff. Superb. I especially love whenever Ross tells Rachel at the airport.. "I KNOW you love me.." That was perfect. And the answering machine.. "Let her off the plane!" "Try to understand!" and the pricless, "Did she get off the plane, did she get off the plane?" Followed by Rachel's.. "I got off the plane." My heart just stopped with excitement. I also love the last scene at C/M's where Ross and Rachel are SOO coupley. Rachel is hanging all over Ross and they are constantly holding hands as they are constantly touching each other and exchanging short kisses back and forth. Just adorable.. That, again, reminds me of Pacey and Joey because they also could hardly keep their hands off of each other.

And then of course the ending with panning in on the six keys on the table was just perfect as they are all on their way to get some coffee. Priceless. The chemistry between the six was also priceless. Both on and off the screen they loved each other and that has never happened to any cast in tv history. It was something special and probably something we will never see again.

The Friends writers gave it their all and wrote a perfect series finale to a brilliant and arguably the best comedy in history of tv. Just perfect.

Last edited by jediwands; 06-07-2004 at 03:04 PM
Old 06-07-2004, 03:35 PM
Extreme Fan

Well, I personally saw Ross and Rachel more as D/J but that is just me.
Old 06-07-2004, 04:27 PM
Fan Forum Legend

Moderator of ...
Everwood

Outside of two things in mind, the fact that Ross and Rachel were the "it" couple from pretty much the very beginning, and also the will they won't they deal, I just cannot see any other similarties of R/R and D/J. I see the entire content of the R/R and P/J relationship as being much more similar for the above reasons that I listed and cannot see anything even remotely similar of R/R and D/J.

Then again, it is hard to compare Friends to Dawson's Creek just in general because they are very different quality shows. Not ripping The Creek or anything, but Friends is an emmy award winning show with exceptional writing.. And Friends is a comedy first with drama as a sidekick. Whereas The Creek was all about drama. Just different all around.

Back to the R/R versus P/J and D/J debate.. What I found interesting on the Friends board is there were LOTS and LOTS of R/R fans that really despised D/J and also agreed that R/R were entirely different than D/J and more P/J. That was basically the general consensus. Of course, everyone has their opinion, I am just stating what the vast majority said.
Old 06-07-2004, 04:36 PM
Extreme Fan

Quote:
Originally posted by Wilpen
Then again, it is hard to compare Friends to Dawson's Creek just in general because they are very different quality shows
That is very true and a good point.
Old 06-07-2004, 04:39 PM
Elite Fan

Quote:
Originally posted by Wilpen

Then again, it is hard to compare Friends to Dawson's Creek just in general because they are very different quality shows.
I agree too.
Old 06-07-2004, 07:21 PM
Part-Time Fan

as far as the finale of friends, i have always wanted r/r back together, so i was very pleased. i have always kinda considered them similar to d/j myself. two of my favorite couples on tv.

do any of you ever remember back to the show moonlighting? i am 25 years old so i don't know if some of the younger posters even know of that show. anyway, the two main characters (played by cybil sheppard and bruce willis ) had lengendary chemistry and in the end..... they didn't get together despite their intense love and passion for one another. they remained friends. it kinda reminds me of dc. i was bitter about both, he he, but i loved both w/ all my heart. crazy.
Old 06-07-2004, 07:29 PM
Fan Forum Legend

Moderator of ...
Everwood

I think in a lot of ways, this R/R debate as to whether or not they are more like P/J or D/J probably does go with what P/J or D/J couple you preferred.

So, again, it is really all an opinion, as usual.

For me, I was a D/Jer in season one and two and then turned P/J in season three while then going back to loving and missing the D/J friendship. So, I am fairly down the middle but probably slightly tilted towards P/J because I preferred them romantically as the seasons progressed, even though I was still a huge fan of D/J, just in more platonic ways.

Also, on the Friends thread that I seriously spends tons of time at, it is fairly amazing how it is very Creeker mixed over there. Lots of D/Jers as well as lots of P/Jers love R/R. Simply amazing actually. I guess this also could translate to the fact that maybe R/R are nothing like either couple on the Creek! Because if they were, there would be only D/Jers or P/Jers shipping R/R. Instead, there is a HUGE, and I mean HUGE amount of both Creek ships loving and adoring R/R. Just an interesting bit.

Last edited by jediwands; 06-07-2004 at 07:34 PM
Old 06-08-2004, 06:57 AM
Master Fan

I dont know, since chemistry is so subjective I don tthink thats the only thing that can be cited as a PJ parallel. I dont think David and Jennifer were chemistry-less but they were just "eh" to me I guess. It always wears on me when a couple cant seem to get it together. I dont buy it that a pair are so perfect for each other and so in love when they cant seem to string together a relationship. There are a lot of parallels to DJ in my eyes. Like I said, their general backgrounds, Ross being very career oriented, like Dawson, and pretty high strung. Rachel being the girls with the IT, like Joey. The fact that they were a constant running romantic theme through the show but couldnt get themselves to actually stick together including long runs when they actually werent together (wasnt it like 6 years for R/R and 4 for DJ?) Then there's the cheating parallels. Ross was on a break, Dawson broke up with her right after, whatever. D/J and R/R definitely parallel in my eyes. I liked R/R in the beginning but the dragging out of the story got to me and frustrated me even more when it cut into other stories and made them all weird and non sensical. Case in point Joey being in love with Rachel then turning around and being the biggest R/R advocate, it just rings false, like in season 4 when pacey was in love with Joey then in season 5 when he's caling DJ Romeo and Juliet, thats not natural progression, thats the manipulation of the audience into liking a certain pair and if an audience has to be manipulated I dont think its the right way to go.

Last edited by Sugz; 06-08-2004 at 01:24 PM
Old 06-08-2004, 01:05 PM
Extreme Fan

Quote:
Originally posted by Sugz
I dont know, since chemistry is so subjective I don tthink that shte only thing that can be cited as a PJ parallel.
That is very true. I mean I thought D/J glowed with Chemistry in 601/02 some people saw nothing Chemistry wise.
Closed Thread   Post New Thread