Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Closed Thread   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Thread Tools
Old 01-03-2004, 08:49 PM
Loyal Fan

Season One Appreciation-Have fun, play safe-4 ET Dolls

(Thanks Nath!)

Fans of Season One-

It was the end of something simple and the beginning of everything else...

Welcome to the Official Season One Thread here at Fan Forum! This is the place where old fans can come and post about this very special season that many would agree was in its own element. It had character, distinction and magic. I hope everyone who posted on the first thread will make their way to this one. This season truly deserves it. Hope it's okay how I did this.

Season One Fanlisting
Check out the Season 1 fans we've accumulated over the course of this thread!

~*Isa*~
~*Nikki*~
*~ Obsessive Nerd ~*
~ Timmy ~
~Clumsy_Lover~
*BeLLa*
*Shannon*
2unique1
amore85
anna10186
ASmallCreekFriend
Aussie bubbles
Banterbelievergirl87
Big DC Fan
Brodie37KS
Dawson*Joey*Always
DaWsonSReaLJoEy
dcfriends
DCreekFreak
Deb D
Ditty
DJCreek22
djforalways
DJPuReMaGiC
DJrSOULMATES
DreamOn777
drunkoffyourkiss
Faye4Josh
hshapir2
i'm still remembering
Jerry D
JoeyJen
JudeNeary
Just Tracy
katiefan1223
KatieRive21
La Musa
Louisiana
Mollz
novaleigh
PaceNJoForever
Pat
puppylove
RoswellDreamer5
S@brina
Sparkle143
taubman - djalways
TopazAngel
trorylover
truelovepjalways
twilliams

Why We Love Season One
Discover the reasoning behind the magic.

1) Because Dawson and Joey watched E.T. in that first classic scene
2) Because "Pacey's Got the Jeep"
3) Because Jen made it really hard for Joey not to like her
4) Because Pacey tried to create some sort of a snail menaj a trois
5) Because Mitch started with something really simple-dancing
6) Because Dawson learned the mechanics of kissing
7) Because we never were given a definition for leather straps and crisco
8) Because of the D Student with the Julius Caesar haircut
9) Because Dawson was Tinkerbell's last hope
10) Because Dawson's not a little Oompa Loompa anymore. He's a big, bad manly Oompa Loompa
11) Because Joey was about 80% sure that Bessie was human
12) Because Jen's not that shallow, she's that human
13) Because rain falls angry on the tin roof
14) Because their perception is dead on
15) Because what's strong enough flourishes and what doesn't we look at behind glass cases in science museums
16) Because in some alternate universe, Dawson and Joey must've been married for like fifty years
17) Because Jen's completely harmless
18) Because we learned that it's just a word, clinical and technical
19) Because it contained the kiss that set the Atlantic Ocean on fire
20) Because Pacey's sexuality is in tact
21) Because it's Howdy Doody time
22) Because we're down with the program!
23) Because we're hip to the lingo
24) Because Dawson is Joey's hero
25) Because he's not William Wallace, but he is Pacey Witter
26) Because Pacey wouldn't bet against that Potter girl
27) Because Joey lived down the creek
28) Because it's just a matter of time
29) Because perfection obtained is a discomforting state
30) Because Jen was just trying to pick up the pieces
31) Because Joey was put behind the camera with Dawson where she belongs
32) Because the emotion in E.T. is realistic
33) Because they're not kids anymore
34) Because they say that Pacey Witter is a dangerous man who slaughters Capeside residents by the dozen with jokes
35) Because what Grams saw outside with Jen and Dawson was only a kiss
36) Because Dawson is some kind of film buff
37) Because Jen's not this white as snow image
38) Because Dawson's slightly above average
39) Because Pacey's a pervert and Joey's a prude
40) Because Pacey's not cursed with self awareness
41) Because when Joey loosens up, she's not half bad to be around, bordering on fun even
42) Because Dawson and Joey have this long tortured subtext
43) Because Jen has a great denial system
44) Because you can always count on getting the truth from Joey even if the truth hurts
45) Because Jen knows somebody who knows somebody who knows Ally Sheedy
46) Because sex at such a young age, more often than not, is a bad idea
47) Because Dawson's a dreamer
48) Because to Dawson, Joey's everything
49) Because people die and they move away...they grow up
50) Because everything changes eventually
51) Because even Spielberg outgrew his Peter Pan Syndrome
52) Because it's going to be a bumpy life
53) Because this is all so complicated
54) Because they growing up, that's all
55) Because they tried to channel the victims of the Lady Killer
56) Because carnivor snails eat other snails
57) Because Dawson's a regular Richie Cunningham, Billy-he's the Fonz, and that makes Pacey Potsy
58) Because Warren's reviews are in and frankly he's been banned
59) Because if Joey ever needs Dawson, he'll always be there for her
60) Because every guy who grows up to be one of the good ones, he was probably a dweeb with girls when he was fifteen too

Thread Somethings
With each new thread #, we have first season items to go with it!

2 Graduate Videos
3 Rowboats

Pictures
Eye Candy to help you remember the good old days.

(Pic credit-DawsonsCreek.com)

Original Episode Titles
If you were a true Creek Freak back in the day, you know that the episode titles were changed sometime at the end of 1998 due to copyright laws. Well, these were the original titles-all named after movies.

#100-Emotions in Motion
#101-Dirty Dancing
#102-Prelude to a Kiss
#103-Carnal Knowledge
#104-Blown Away
#105-Look Who's Talking
#106-The Breakfast Club
#107-Escape From New York
#108-In the Company of Men
#109-Friday, the 13th
#110-Modern Romance
#111-Pretty Woman
#112-Breaking Away

Songs
Looking for a special song from the first season? Look no further than right here. I'll add a new episode's music every so often.

*Pilot*
"Hey Pretty Girl" - BoDeans
"As I Lay Me Down" - Sophie B. Hawkins
"Tubthumping"
"Mercy Me" - Say-So
"Good Mother" - Jann Arden
"I'll Stand By You" - The Pretenders

*Dance*
"Am I Cool" - Nowhere Blossoms
"Flames Of Truth" - Sarah Masen
"I Want You" - Savage Garden
"Happiness" - Abra Moore
"Ooh Ahh...Just A Little Bit" - Adam Fields
"Pretty Strange" - Paul Chiten
"Apple" - The Autumns
"But You" - Paul Chiten
"You Don't Know Me" - Jann Arden

*Kiss*
"First Time" - Billie Myers
"Kingdom" - The Slugs
"Too Many Times" - Wake Ooloo
"The Right Place" - Eddi Reader
"Pretty Deep" - Tanya Donelly
"All I Want" - Toad The Wet Sprocket
"I'll Remember You" - Sophie Zelmani
"What Would Happen" - Meredith Brooks

*Discovery*
"Beautiful Thing" - Kyf Brewer
"Top Of Morning" - The Hang Ups
"I Know" - Barenaked Ladies
"Amnesia" - Toad The Wet Sprocket
"World Outside" - The Devlins
"That's What Love Can Do" - Tom Snow
"Stand By Me" - Say-So
"Full Of Grace" - Sarah McLachlan

*Hurricane*
"Healing Hands" - Marc Cohn
"It's The End Of The World As We Know It" - R.E.M.

*Baby*
"Sitting On Top Of The World" - Amanda Marshall
"Insecuriosity" - Andrew Dorff
"All I Want" - Susanna Hoffs
"Seven Shades Of Blue" - Beth Nielsen Chapman

*Detention*
"Stupid" - Chickenpox
"Saturday" - Colony
"A Lot Like You" - Colony
"Grace" - Michelle Malone
"Will Tomorrow Ever Come" - Dance Hall Crashers

*Boyfriend*
"We'll Get Through" - The Slugs
"Being Right" - Cush
"Dammit" - Blink 182
"Elegantly Wasted" - INXS
"Green Apples" - Chantal Kreviazuk
"Evaporated" - Ben Folds Five

*Road Trip*
"Truly, Madly, Deeply" - Savage Garden
"Touch, Peel & Stand" - Days Of The New
"We Are The Supercool" - Space Monkeys
"Requiem For A Lightweight" - The Slugs
"Your Pleasure's Mine" - Super Deluxe
"Carry Me" - Boom Hank
"I'm Not Sleeping" - Nowhere Blossoms
"Nashville" - Judge Nothing
"The Step Inside" - Sounder
"Monkey Mind" - Judge Nothing
"Right Today" - Swerve
"Thinking Out Loud" - Ron Sexsmith

*The Scare*
"Nobody Cares" - Vaporhead
"Will U Drive Me?" - The Rosenbergs
"Do You Dream?" - Mary Thornton/Adam Castillo
"Temptation" - The Tea Party

*Double Date*
"Come Back" - Vaporhead
"She" - Louie Says
"What's Goin' On" - Shelby Craft
"I'm The Only One" - Melissa Etheridge (USA WB airings) or "I Wanna Be Your Underwear" - Bryan Adams (International Airings/DVD/Syndication)
"Hangin' By A Thread" - Jann Arden
"She's The One" - World Party

*Beauty Contest*
"Small Town Trap" - Eve 6
"Girl With All The Goodbyes" - Susan Sandberg
"Pretty Face" - Chickenpox
"New York, New York" - Joshua Jackson
"Fall From Grace" - Amanda Marshall
"Superman" - Goldfinger
"On My Own" - Katie Holmes
"Surrounded" - Chantal Kreviazuk

*Decisions*
"What Do You Do?" - Dog's Eye View
"Angel" - Sarah McLachlan
"I'll Be" - Edwin McCain
"Broken Road" - Melodie Crittenden
"Say Goodnight" - Beth Nielsen Chapman

Season 1 Store
Searching for some special merchandise from the show's first season? Look no further than right here!

Dawson's Creek : The Complete First Season DVD

Dawson's Creek CDs.com - Create your own Soundtrack CD (Music From Season #1)

Topic Starter

Who was your favorite season one extra?

I liked Tamara. Her and Pacey's 'fling' just did something for me.

It was the end of something simple and the beginning of everything else...

Enjoy posting about this amazing season that captivated a generation!

“A car is not a bedroom on wheels!”-Kitty, That 70’s Show
Old 01-03-2004, 10:27 PM
Administrator

In my humble opinion, the best Dawson’s Creek season ever was Season One, by a million miles. Back then, Dawson's Creek truly was, as it hailed itself then, “The Next Generation of Television.” To me, all the seasons that followed Season One have paled by comparison. Season One was simple but sophisticated at the same time, and it presented situations we could all relate to, namely the heartache and elation of first loves, the importance of friendship, and the feeling that your whole world was ending when the object of your infatuation rejected you. The only storyline I didn’t like in Season One was the Pacey/Tamara affair, but at least that potentially sordid story line was handled with some restraint and tact. Back then, Dawson's Creek was a show that teenagers could relate to, and adults could watch and look back fondly on as they recalled their own teenage years. I also felt that Season One played out like a mini-series, with a beginning, a middle and an end, and it was obvious that a great deal of care and craftsmanship went into each episode, and that the season had a planned story arc where each episode built upon the episode that preceded it, and the story lines were made to fit the characters, instead of the other way around.

I also feel that the way that Kevin Williamson used a cinematic theme to guide all of the Season One episodes was a most original concept, and it made the show very unique and different from any other show centered on teenagers that I had ever seen.

I also feel that Dawson’s Creek had the ability to make you care about the characters, and I found the story of Dawson and Joey, and their subtext filled friendship, to be absolutely enchanting. Overall, I can’t say enough about how wonderful Season One was, and how it stands apart from all the other seasons of Dawson’s Creek.

There are those who look at things the way they are and ask why - I dream of things that never were and ask why not. - Robert F. Kennedy
Old 01-06-2004, 02:27 PM
Loyal Fan

Well put Jerry D, couldn't elaborate on how wonderful Season One is any better if I tried [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

"The Breakfast Club" film was on tv the other day, and it's either been years since I've seen it, or I have only seen it in parts, but I loved it. It's only now that I've seen it, that I can see the links Kevin Williamson made to his #106 "Breakfast Club" episode. Like when all the kids were running down the hall and trying to get back to the library before they get caught out! Loved that scene [img]smilies/lol.gif[/img]

Anyway, when I get time, I'd love to relive Season One all over again with my DVDs [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

Bye for now,

Big DC Fan
Old 01-06-2004, 05:50 PM
Cotton Candy

Hey guys!

I'm back [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img] I've decided to only post on the appreciation threads and on the threads that I never have any problems with. Thanks for all of your kind words. I read your posts on Page 9. They really meant a lot [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img] I'm sorry I left. I was just really upset and needed a break. I hope you all can understand. You've all been doing an excellent job of keeping this thread alive!

Ashley-Thanks for starting the fourth thread! You did a great job! This may sound so trivial, but this is my obsessive compulsiveness coming out, [img]smilies/lol.gif[/img]. Do you think you can change the title of the thread to match the Season 2 thread, so it looks like this: Season 1 Thread - Have Fun, Play Safe - 4 E.T. Dolls ? I understand if you don't want to, so don't worry.

[ 01-06-2004: Message edited Vada and Thomas Sitting in a Tree ]

Old 01-06-2004, 07:53 PM
Administrator

I'm glad to see you back, Ariel! [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

There are those who look at things the way they are and ask why - I dream of things that never were and ask why not. - Robert F. Kennedy
Old 01-06-2004, 08:32 PM
Cotton Candy

Thanks so much Jerry! It's good to be back [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

Old 01-06-2004, 10:26 PM
Administrator

I recently watched the episode Dirty Dancing, and I can tell you that I felt like I was watching an entirely show from the show that we saw in the later seasons. Dawson and Joey, and all the characters for that matter, seemed so innocent then, and the relationship dynamics between the characters were also very different, which I especially noticed when Joey, referring to a scene in Dawson’s movie that she had to act in with Pacey, said: “I cannot and will not kiss that cretin.” [img]smilies/lol.gif[/img]

I also felt that the show was imbued with a degree of care and craftsmanship that we haven’t seen on the show since Season One, and not only did the characters seem much more innocent than they later became, the show itself seemed much more innocent than it later became. This episode, which was the second episode of Season One, continued the story of the four main characters, and it let us know a little more about them.

The show opened with the one constant that tied all the shows of the first season together, Dawson and Joey watching a videotape together, and discussing what they had just watched. This ritual was something that all of us fans came to enjoy immensely, as their bantering dialog fairly sparkled with wit and affection. This time, they were watching “dailies” from the horror film that Dawson and Joey were working on, “Sea Creature From The Deep,” and Dawson teased Joey because she refused to kiss Pacey in the film, and Joey teased Dawson for not having kissed Jen yet, as it was obvious to everyone by now, especially Joey, that Dawson was “smitten” with Jen. Dawson, showing himself to be a completely idealistic dreamer at that point in the show, said that “Jen happens to be a bright and talented young woman who is clearly in charge of her own body,” and Joey replied “I'm not suggesting leather straps and Crisco, just a kiss!” Dawson, deep in thought, replied “Explain to me the Crisco!” This scene showed me several things, namely how innocent Dawson was then, and also how Joey put on an ACT of being sophisticated and worldly when it came to sex, when in truth she was just as innocent as Dawson was, and finally, it illustrated the great irony of a girl telling the boy she loves to kiss someone else while being unable to express her own feelings towards him.

The next day, in school, Dawson, who had already been established as being an avid film buff, convinced a skeptical Mr. Gold, the film class teacher, to allow him to sit in on the film class during his study hall period, since the class was reserved for juniors and seniors only, and Dawson was only a sophomore. Dawson's participation in the class put him into immediate conflict with Nellie Olson, whose father owned the video store that Dawson and Pacey worked in, and who had previously clashed with Pacey in the first episode. The reason for this clash of wills was that Nellie and Capeside's star football quarterback, Cliff Elliott, were working on a film called “Helmets of Glory,” and Dawson's attempts to be helpful by offering his opinions were viewed as impertinence on Dawson’s part by the spoiled and self absorbed Nellie. Cliff would also come to play a significant role in Dawson's new found angst when Dawson saw him hitting on Jen in the hallway.

Also at school, Pacey attempted to talk to Ms. Jacobs about the passionate kiss they had shared at the end of “Emotions In Motion,” but she refused to talk to him about it, and then class started. This rebuttal made Pacey more determined than ever to win Ms. Jacobs over, as Pacey demonstrated his impulsive and somewhat reckless approach to life early on. Then during lunch, Dawson informed Pacey and Joey that he intended to write a part for Jen in his movie, introducing her as the “beautiful cousin from New York” of Joey's character, who, he related, would now DIE VIOLENTLY HALFWAY THROUGH THE FILM, and JEN will then star in the rest of the film. At first, Joey seemed surprised and hurt by this turn of events, but once Dawson explained that he was doing it to get Joey "back where you belong, behind the camera with me," Joey seemed happy to give up her role (and happy to not have to kiss Pacey! My, my, how things later changed between these two characters! [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]) Even with this convenient excuse, however, I personally thought that it was incredibly insensitive of Dawson to do this, symbolically "killing off" his lifelong friend Joey in favor of the object of his infatuation, Jen.

Back home on Saturday, Dawson asked his father what it's like to kiss a girl for the first time, and his father described kissing his mother for the first time, and he had Dawson practice his first kiss with Jen on the plaster head of Joey that had been designed for the death scene in Dawson's movie. Unbeknownst to the two of them, however, Joey had been observing this whole scene through the stair banister with a look of vulnerable longing on her sweet, beautiful face, and my heart went out to her immediately. I personally found this scene to be very far fetched, as I could never see myself having such an intimate discussion with my father, and I could never see myself practicing how to kiss someone with a plaster head, but still, the scene illustrated not only Dawson and Mitch’s closeness as father and son, but Joey’s unrequited and unexpressed feelings of love for Dawson. Meanwhile, Joey caught Dawson’s mother making rendezvous plans on the phone with Bob, the anchorman she was having an affair with, and she told Gale “I know.”

Later, the gang shot the death scene of Joey's character, and Jen attempted to make friends with Joey by complimenting her about her figure in quite an unusual way, telling her she had “nice breasts” and “long legs” while helping a naked Joey wipe off the fake blood after the filming of the death scene, while assuring Joey that she was “not a lesbian.” Jen also went on to talk about her own rather low self image, saying that she had a “face like a duck” and that her figure was “a mess,” which surprised Joey a great deal. In hindsight, both then and now, I thought that Jen had a very low sense of self esteem, and although she’s made wonderful strides to overcome the demons that had haunted her since we met her in Season One, I feel that Jen still has a low sense of self esteem that she’s really only beginning to truly come to terms with. This revelation did nothing to alleviate the enmity that Joey felt towards Jen, however, as Joey once again rebuffed her, for reasons that were obvious to everyone except Dawson, and, at that point, Jen, and I couldn’t help but feel sorry for Jen, who really did nothing to deserve the harsh treatment she received from not only Joey, but from a sizable portion of the viewing audience at the time. Once shooting was over for the day, Pacey announced that he was going to the victory dance, (because Ms. Jacobs was going to be there as a chaperone), and Jen announced that she would be going to the dance with Cliff, who had asked her out. This produced an intensely jealous reaction in Dawson, who hadn't intended to go to the dance, but he now convinced a reluctant Joey to come to the dance with him, so he could basically “spy” on Jen, exhibiting his early stalker-like obsessive infatuation with her. On her way out for the evening, Gale spoke to Joey about Joey's earlier comment to her, and Joey told Gale that she knew about the affair that she was having with her co-anchor, and she warned her about the repercussions of her behavior, telling her that her actions affect others, which I now consider to be an ironic comment considering that we’ve hardly ever seen Joey ever pay any consequences for her often heedless and hurtful behavior over the years, and I miss that brutally honest, but sincere and concerned, Joey Potter of Season One, and I’m glad the we started to see glimpses of her again in some of the later episodes of Season Four. Joey revealed to Gale that her father had cheated on her mother before her mother had died, destroying their whole family. I thought that this scene revealed a lot about the pain and anguish that Joey had endured in her life, and why she had such a chip on her shoulder.

That evening, at the school dance, Dawson started dancing with Joey so he could find Jen and Cliff, and as he started to spin Joey around, he found, to his amazement and delight, that Joey was a wonderful dancer, and he pulled her close, and he told her “You’re pretty good at this,” and for one brief, wonderful moment, they stared in each others eyes, and get lost in each other’s tender and loving gazes, and they smiled at each other, until Jen interrupted the moment and broke the spell between them. At that point I, and I'm sure the rest of the collective audience, heaved a big sigh as a golden opportunity was lost. It was at that moment when I first truly fell in love with Dawson and Joey, and I couldn’t wait until they became a romantic couple. I thought it was interesting to note that in this episode, although she was made up to look like a tomboy, Katie Holmes' captivating beauty still shown through, but she looked so different from the sophisticated and glamorous Joey that we came to know in the “Pretty Woman” episode in that season, and especially from Season Two on, and this episode illustrated for me how much Joey has changed over the years, not only outwardly, but also as a person.

I think it's ironic that the character originally presented as the “unassuming girl next door” would end up getting the lion's share of attention on both the show and in the media and Internet spotlight, while the character originally presented as the “glamorous and sophisticated girl from New York,” would fade into the background in many ways on both the show and in the media and Internet spotlight. Granted, both Katie Holmes and Michelle Williams are beautiful and talented young actresses whose faces have graced magazine covers and whose pictures appear on websites devoted to them, but I think that there’s a staggering difference in the amount of publicity, movie roles, and attention that Katie gets versus the amount of publicity, movie roles, and attention that Michelle gets. The differences between Joey and Jen’s appearance was glaring in the final scenes of that episode, as Joey was dressed in a baggy sweater, baggy jeans, and pulled back hair with little makeup, while Jen was dressed in a beautiful and sophisticated outfit, with her hair beautifully styled, and her face made up like a glamour girl. Somehow, you could understand Dawson's infatuation with Jen at that point, but you also felt sorry for Joey as she looked longingly at Dawson from afar, unable to express what she felt in her heart. Now that my friends, was a love triangle that worked, and it makes the love triangle that we saw in Season Three pale in comparison.

For the first of many times that season, we got to see the spoiled and insensitive side of Dawson's character as he angered and hurt Joey by saying that his feelings for Jen were much deeper than his feelings for her, and at that point, I wanted to throw my shoe through the television, as I thought, “How can this guy be so stupid?” Dawson then angered Jen by acting irrationally jealous when he saw her and Cliff together, nearly starting a fight with Cliff, and Jen left them both standing there glaring at each other like two lions getting ready to fight over the kill. Pacey attempted to turn on the charm with Ms. Jacobs, who once again rejected him. I couldn’t help but be amused by Pacey’s ardent attempts to win Ms. Jacobs over, and although I found the idea of an illicit affair between a teacher and a student to be a sordid one, and it was the only part of Season One that I didn’t like, I couldn’t help but like, and be highly entertained by, the charismatic and charming Pacey Witter, a Pacey Witter that was very different from the morose and insecure Pacey that we saw in Season Four.

A dejected Dawson and Joey now headed home from the dance, happy in each other’s company. Dawson, who realized the incredible error that he made, and thinking that he had lost his chance with Jen, said to Joey, "Do me a favor? If I ever get like this again, and I'm sure I will before this adolescent growth process is over, well, next time just chain me to my bed, and wait for my moment of clarity to come?" Joey, clearly happy to be walking home with Dawson, and happy too, I feel, that Dawson had seemingly blown his chance with Jen, asked if she could use the leather straps, and he said "Not until you explain the Crisco," and I was struck once again by the sweet rapport that they had with each other. Dawson and Joey then saw Jen alone in the marina, however, and Joey stepped aside so Dawson could try to make amends with Jen. Jen told Dawson that he was trying too hard, but that she was interested in him, but she wanted to take it slow, as she felt like she was moving too fast in New York. I really felt a lot of sympathy for Jen in that scene, and as always, Michelle Williams was able to imbue her character with a mixture of sweetness and vulnerability that made her character so endearing, and made her character so much more than, and I quote from an old review of the show, “the mini-skirted wedge between Dawson and Joey’s true feelings for one another.” She and Dawson then shared a slow, romantic dance together on the dock, all the while being observed by a clearly heartbroken Joey. Once again, my heart went out to this vulnerable, unappreciated, and misunderstood character, and I simply fell in love with her character.

Also on the way home, Pacey encountered Tamara, and her attempts to explain why they could never be together lead inevitably into another passionate kiss between them. As I stated earlier, I never liked this particular story line, but it did add depth to Pacey's character, and Pacey’s affair with Tamara did help mature his character, particularly when you remember the way he handled himself when their affair ended.

Looking back on this episode, I couldn’t help but notice how different a show Dawson’s Creek was then, and how much better it was, as it focused on the simple themes of friendship, a young man’s first infatuation, and the bittersweet story of unrequited love. I also couldn’t help but notice how much the characters have changed and evolved since Season One, most for the better, but some for the worst, in my humble opinion. Watching this episode also reminded me why I loved this show so much in the first place, and why I’ve continued to watch it all these years, because the one thing that hasn’t changed about Dawson’s Creek is its ability to make you care about the characters. I cared about them then, and I care about them now, and I’ll care about them until the last episode airs. I also have to give credit to Kevin Williamson for giving us that magical, but all too brief, inaugural season of Dawson’s Creek that set such a high standard to follow, but unfortunately, by Season Two, Kevin Williamson had moved on to other projects, and the show, which I feel had been an autobiographical labor of love for Mr. Williamson, never really was the same after that, and I think that Season One of Dawson’s Creek stands far above all the seasons that followed it, but like these characters, we can’t go back to the innocence of that time and season, but we can look back fondly on something that was really wondrous.

Old 01-06-2004, 10:43 PM
Elite Fan

Now come on Jerry, tell us how you really feel. I swear sometimes it's like pulling teeth to get you to open up. [img]smilies/lol.gif[/img]

Actually your post brings up something that I felt was really a downside to the show in the second season, the loss of the opening D/J in Dawson's room intro, I think they should have kept that. I remember watching the episode where they started it with taking the ladder down and I remember thinking that it was the end of those beginnings. It was something small but it meant alot to me for some reason.

[img]smilies/love.gif[/img]Nikki [img]smilies/sun.gif[/img]
Old 01-07-2004, 08:06 AM
Administrator

LOL Nikki! [img]smilies/lol.gif[/img] Yes, I'm usually a man of few words, so that was an unusually long post for me! [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img] That was actually a post I wrote years ago and that I updated for this thread. I used to love this show so much back then, and I used to really love writing about the show then too. I don't think I could ever write so passionately about a show ever again, which probably makes some people happy! [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]

Old 01-07-2004, 10:53 AM
Cotton Candy

I didn't get a chance to read your post in its entirety yet Jerry, but Dance is my all-time favorite episode (for now, at least [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]) and I look forward to hearing your thoughts on it.

Old 01-07-2004, 11:09 AM
Dedicated Fan

Gosh Jerry..reading your posts is like reading poetry...simply beautiful.

I wish I watched Dawsons Creek when it originally aired, and came to these boards, so I could read all of your eloquent posts/thoughts.

Are you sure you are not Kevin Williamson with an "alias" screen-name? LOL.
Old 01-07-2004, 06:29 PM
Administrator

Aww, thanks Rachel, I appreciate it! [img]smilies/blush.gif[/img] No, I'm not Kevin Williamson, but I'll always really be grateful for what he gave us in Season One. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

Old 01-08-2004, 01:13 PM
Elite Fan

I pretty much worshipped the man in a god-like way(Hehe Dawson Pilot quote) up until he dropped out of Scream 3, then I lost all respect for him. That movie sucked and it was due to him not writing, it could have been so much better I think. I was happy he came back to write the finale, but I would have liked to see how he could have done another season of the show, like take Season Six and do with it what he wanted.

[img]smilies/love.gif[/img]Nikki [img]smilies/sun.gif[/img]
Old 01-08-2004, 01:18 PM
Dedicated Fan

<<<but I would have liked to see how he could have done another season of the show, like take Season Six and do with it what he wanted

Ohhhhh..what a good idea that would have been. And it would have been totally possible since they all basically knew that Season 6 was the last season(contracts being up). That could have been a great way to end the series on a great note and salvage the show It makes me wonder what Kevin would have done with each character throughout Season 6 and if the ending would have changed at all in the finale. I know he said on the commentary that he would have loved to have had more time to work on the finale.
Old 01-08-2004, 02:21 PM
Cotton Candy

Quote:
Originally posted by ~*Nikki*~:
<STRONG>until he dropped out of Scream 3, then I lost all respect for him. That movie sucked and it was due to him not writing, it could have been so much better I think.</STRONG>
It sounds a little bit like a certain television show that we all know and love [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]

Closed Thread   Post New Thread