Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Closed Thread   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Thread Tools
Old 12-22-2003, 09:34 AM
Part-Time Fan

Hey,

Well, I'm about half way through watching the S2 DVD's and I'm still having moments of dissapointment with the video quality and the music chnages.

I'm finding the video quality to be extremely inconsistent -- one moment the picture is razor-sharp -- the nice, clear and vibrant image that we should expect from the DVD format; and the next moment, it degenerates into this fuzzy, blotchy image that is reminiscent of a VHS tape-to-tape transfer. I probably wouldn't have noticed the pooer quality as much if it hadn't varried so much from scene to scene. Although I wouldn't expect the video quality od a TV series to be on-par with a cinematic release like "Attack of the Clones", I really thought it would be better than this.

The music changes are a bigger annoyance, because they change the "feel" of certain key scenes. I already mentioned in a previous post about the "Kiss the Rain" replacement. Last night while watching "The Election" another change hit me right across the face -- the skinny dipping scene minus Garbage's "You Look So Fine." The replacement song totally lost the feeling of lust and longing, angst and desire that this scene originally had. It took, what I considered one of the more intriguing moments of S2 and turned it into something lighter and less mysterious. Dawson and Jen were trying to figure out their relationship, trying to regain their friendship, and I always thought that this scene with its original music showed how delicate a place they were both in, dancing on a fine line of desire and confusion -- charting as Dawson once said about he and Joey, "new boy-girl territory." The new song just deflated that whole emotional feel to the scene. It became something light and almost playful, rather than deeper and mysterious. I found the change to be very dissapointing.

There are other, much less noticebale music replacements -- background music that wasn't integral to the emotional content of episodes or scenes -- that have been replaced with music that has a similar quality or beat that I think just about no one will mind.

But, damn! Changing some of these key scenes -- Damn! [img]smilies/mad.gif[/img] I know eveyone will have a slightly different list of songs that were integral to their experience and enjoyment of S2, but I still don't get why certain songs were kept and others changed. Were certain songs "forbidden" to be included or absolutely unavailable due to licensing contracts, or were certain songs priced outrageously high, so as to add tens of dollars to the cost of the DVD each?

Arrggghhh -- frustration! [img]smilies/frown.gif[/img]

Cresta
Old 12-22-2003, 11:01 AM
Fan Forum Star

I got my dvd too. and the quality isnt so great. but i am happy that i got it though....

As for abby, i really think that she was really lonely, and just needed something to entertaining, so she looked the group. i mean i mind u what she did and the stuff she said was mean, but u know, i felt for her, because in The perfect wedding she even said she didnt want to be a cliche, and that how everyone sees her, i just wish besides jen, and andie, the rest of them, could of saw alot in her, then her meaness.
Old 12-22-2003, 05:22 PM
Cotton Candy

I got my DVD today and am very satisfied! I don't see any problems with the video quality so far (of course I only watched The Kiss with commentary). It's just as good as the Season 1 DVD quality was and I am thoroughly enjoying watching one of my favorite pieces of television history in DVD format. It's not the same kind of quality that a movie on DVD would have, but I didn't expect that.

I understand a lot of people's gripes about the music changes. Half of the magic was in the songs and replacing them is like tearing out a big piece of the show. Although, I am curious to see which songs were used.

Anyway, I am very excited about the DVD and I agreed with almost everything that Paul said in his commentary for the first episode. He really seems to know what he's talking about and his ideas are, for the most part, on par with mine.

I'm off to watch the season finale with commentary and then I'll try to squeeze in one or two episodes [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

[ 12-22-2003: Message edited Vada and Thomas Sitting in a Tree ]

Old 12-22-2003, 07:32 PM
Elite Fan

I'm just now on "Uncharted Waters". God I forgot how much of a bitch Joey was to Jen. I think this is when I first started to hate Ms Potter and worship Jen.

[img]smilies/love.gif[/img]Nikki [img]smilies/sun.gif[/img]
Old 12-22-2003, 07:38 PM
Elite Fan

I liked the Jen and Joey conversation in Unchartered Waters. You can see why Joey is the way she is to Jen. They actually have a decent conversation and Joey was being a lot nicer to her and not so bitchy anymore. They hung out at the club together, Joey hugged her when she saw her crying in Dawson's room, and didn't mind her staying there.

KH asked about kissing her ex (JJ) in front of the cameras all day:

"Maybe there's a hint of realism?"
Old 12-22-2003, 07:54 PM
Elite Fan

Yeah later on they are okay, but I had forgotten how rude Joey was to Jen about the whole Gail/Dawson/movie thing. I found myself yawning whenever Joey was explaining who she's just a small town girl from the wrong side of the creek in Gail's documentary, I get so tired of Joey using that as her excuse on why she is like the way she is. I mean Jen was the bad seed from New York but you don't see her moping around due to that.

Old 12-22-2003, 08:23 PM
Cotton Candy

Speaking of Uncharted Waters, I found it very interesting that Paul Stupin said that the network almost didn't air the episode, because they didn't like it. What a big mistake that would have been! I love that episode!

About Joey and Jen in this season, I understood both of their characters and where each one was coming from. I happened to have loved their interaction in UW, especially their final one. They really made a huge breakthrough in their relationship in that one scene.

Let's discuss High Risk Behavior-another one of my favorites.

Old 12-22-2003, 09:19 PM
Obsessed Fan

well i reckon the dvd will be fine to watch

but i disagree on paul, sometime he has no idea, and another big crew member which is very close with james, kevin and katie is greg prange and has been there since the start and i think he would of been better to do the commentary, but thats just mine and a few other opinions. [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

no matter what season 2 was awesome and the dvd will be great, and well if there is probs i'm sure they will do the same to other seasons and i'm afraid no ones perfect. but i'm sure dvds will be great no matter what!

at lease season 1 dvd was perfect! [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

keep the faith always [img]smilies/daisy.gif[/img]

regards
taubmas80 - djalways - Aussie DJer
Old 12-22-2003, 10:11 PM
Elite Fan

"High Risk Behavior" is an episode that I will really always remember. At the time, I didn't know spoilers existed and thus was very unspoiled for the episode. I was back then a huge Dawson/Joey fan and was really upset at the prospect of either one sleeping with Jack or Jen. I was afraid to admit to my friends that I did like Jen/Dawson(I don't care know, I freely admit that I adored them together and wish that they would have ended up together). I remember being so upset not knowing who did what and I didn't think that Pacey and Andie had slept together, the writers were sneaky they were!

I just watched "To Be Or Not To Be" and "That Is The Question" and I'm really very impressed with Josh and Kerr's acting skills. I do see the beginning of Pacey's "hero" complex though.

Old 12-23-2003, 11:41 AM
Cotton Candy

taubman-Actually, I was very impressed with Paul's commentary. I always blame him, in large part, for the downfall of the show in Season 3, but he did a great job on the commentary and really knows his stuff. He was very professional and honest. I agreed with a lot of what he said.

Nikki-Ooh, TBONTB and TITQ are two amazing episodes, especially the latter. But, I have to disagree that Pacey's hero complex started there. Season 2 was THE "Pacey, the hero" season and that started in the beginning of the season, not the end. It's nice to see you posting around here! Come back soon [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

I love every aspect of HRB, especially the music. But, my favorite storyline was the Pacey and Andie one. They made that episode what it was and had some of the sweetest scenes together. I also must say that Dawson and Jen were very intriguing and the Joey/Jack Titanic drawing storyline was classic. It's really one of my favorite episodes from any show.

[ 12-23-2003: Message edited Vada and Thomas Sitting in a Tree ]

Old 12-23-2003, 01:28 PM
Master Fan

Hey Everyone! [img]smilies/wave.gif[/img]

I'm glad you all got your Season 2 DvD-Boxset. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]
Personally I love every single episode of season 2 and I wasn't spoiled at all watching it for the first time,it was just great...yeah,those memories. [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]

I don't prefer Joey or Jen in season 2,well,maybe rather Joey.Mostly Jen is down troughout the whole season,I disliked some of her re/actions in a few episodes.

- The Wind That Blew My Heart Away
Old 12-23-2003, 01:59 PM
Cotton Candy

I loved every single episode as well. The finale was a bit contrived, but it was worth it for the drama. It's probably my least favorite episode though. However, I feel a very special connection with each episode. I wasn't spoiled either during the first two seasons, since I didn't have the internet back then and never even heard of spoilers, [img]smilies/lol.gif[/img].

What was your favorite song from HRB?

There were so many great ones. I loved the final DMB song and it went so great with the final montage, but the Sheryl Crow and Swirl 360 songs were amazing too. They're very magical. I also could never forget that special song that played toward the end when Dawson was typing up his script. There are too many classics. I have to think about this some more. I'd probably go with the Sheryl Crow song though [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

Old 12-23-2003, 04:39 PM
Obsessed Fan

i agree paul did stuff up season 3, and i guess his commentary was ok in the season 1 dvd.

yeah the original songs in season 2 is what made it good as well [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

i remember the album release of the songs just after season 2 started here in australia, ah the season 2 times, i'll never forget!!!

keep the faith always [img]smilies/daisy.gif[/img]

regards
taubmas80 - djalways - Aussie DJer
Old 12-23-2003, 05:44 PM
Cotton Candy

Quote:
Originally posted by taubman - djalways:
<STRONG>ah the season 2 times, i'll never forget!!!</STRONG>
Me either [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

Here are some caps from our current episode of discussion, High Risk Behavior.

Credit-JJ.net

Enjoy!

Old 12-23-2003, 06:29 PM
Elite Fan

Thanx for the caps! [img]smilies/sigh.gif[/img] HRB is a good episode too. Although Sex She Wrote was better. [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]