Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

New Forum Poll   |     Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Reply   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Thread Tools
Old 06-14-2006, 10:46 AM
Elite Fan

Brit, thank you for this thread. I love the Leerys!

All those scenes you talked about are amazing. Loved how they worked out all their issues and decided to be happy. It was really sad to see Mitch dying that way.
But "The Long Goodbye" is a sad, yet beautiful episode, with all those flashbacks. I cried so much and still do everytime I watch.

Cris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2006, 11:12 AM
Master Fan

^ "The Long goodbye" was a good episode. Gave everybody a chance to test their acting chops. And they all did a really good job. Specially James with that answering machine message scene when he ripped it out of the wall.

It also had some kick ass music.
Brighter Than Sunshine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2006, 11:15 AM
Elite Fan

Everytime I listen to "Fire and Rain", I remember Dawson and Mitch.

Old 06-14-2006, 04:22 PM
Master Fan

^ Me to. In fact whenever I hear a Dawson's Creek song, Im like, That song was on Dawson's Creek! Im a huge dork. I have a friend who is related to James Taylor (singer of "Fire and Rain"), when I heard that I turned into a huge fangirl.

This scene always makes me cry:

[Scene: Lillian’s Room. Gale looks into the room and has a flashback of the day Mitch was setting up Dawson’s Crib.]

[Mitch grunts]

Mitch: This thing's gonna be tip-top, baby. Don't you worry.

Gale: Oh, I'm not worried. I'll just call someone to fix it when the bottom falls out.

Mitch: [Laughs] Oh, ye of little faith. Mrs. Leery, have I ever let you down?

Gale: No, Mr. Leery, you haven’t.

Mitch: What do you think he's gonna be?

Gale: If he's anything like you, a pain in the ass.

Mitch: A lot of fathers want their sons to play baseball. Not me. Team sports teach conformity. I hope he's a freak.

Gale: A freak?

Mitch: Yeah. Freaks never peak in high school. They never grow up to sell real estate, drink heavily on the weekends, and beat their kids.

Gale: Well, then, let's hope for a freak.

[Dawson comes into the room, snapping her out of her flashback.]

Dawson: Mom, you ok?

Gale: Uh... yeah. For the moment. You wanna know what the worst part is?

Dawson: What?

Gale: She'll never even know he existed.

Dawson: Not if I have anything to do about it. She's gonna hear about her daddy every chance I get.

Gale: [Crying] Oh, I'm such a mess. I'm sorry, honey.

Dawson: Mom, don't ever apologize.

Gale: You are gonna get your life back, I promise.

Dawson: Mom, I'm not going anywhere. Not anytime soon. My place is here with you and Lily.

Gale: Honey, you don't have to be so strong all the time. You can fall to pieces just about any time you want. There's nothing to be ashamed of.

Dawson: I'm not ashamed. There's-- everybody keeps on asking me, "How you doin'? How you feelin'?" Truth is, I don't feel anything. Not a thing. I'm numb. Which, to tell you the truth, is really not so bad.

Gale: Um, that's great... until it all comes crumbling down.

Dawson: Well...until then.

Old 06-17-2006, 02:21 PM
Master Fan

Bump with a pic:

Old 06-17-2006, 02:37 PM
Elite Fan

I love that moment between them!

Old 06-17-2006, 10:56 PM
Elite Fan

Thanks for the thread idea Brit!
Best family on the show for me
Old 06-18-2006, 09:14 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Cute screencaps they were the best family in Capeside
Old 06-19-2006, 02:20 AM
Master Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brighter Than Sunshine
I have a friend who is related to James Taylor (singer of "Fire and Rain"),
Oh, really? I love James Taylor

Not as much as I love the Leery's, mind you but still
Old 06-19-2006, 11:42 AM
Master Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beatriz
Oh, really? I love James Taylor

Not as much as I love the Leery's, mind you but still
I love him too, so you can imagine how fangirly I got. He's her grandfather's cousin.

I love the Leery's more to.

Another pic:

Their adorable.
Old 06-19-2006, 12:58 PM
Elite Fan

They were the best family for me too. Mitch and Gail were such supportive parents!

Loved the cap, Brit! They're adorable at Dawson's graduation!

Old 06-20-2006, 02:52 AM
Master Fan

Aw, thank you for the pic
Old 06-20-2006, 12:19 PM
Passionate Fan

Hey Britney! I decided to stop by like you said!!

I love the first cap the best!! The D/J moment was great. And Jo's reaction to the name Lily was really sweet.

ITA. The Leery's were very supportive. They had their differences, but they were definitely a close bunch. I especially loved the Dawson/Mitch moments.
Old 06-20-2006, 03:45 PM
Master Fan

^ Aw, hey Brittney!

I loved how they named the baby Lilly, thats adorable.

The Mitch/Dawson scenes were too cute.

They were adorable at Dawson's graduation, it's like, aw, their little baby is growing up!
Old 07-04-2006, 12:36 AM
Master Fan

I didn't know where to post this, but here it is. It's a recent Interview John Wesley Shipp did in April 29, 2006. The interviewer guy talked to him about his past projects and such. But here's the Dawson's Creek part. Just his feelings about starting the show and the way his character got killed off and such. I found it interesting:

MARK: Okay, DAWSON'S CREEK. Here's a show that kind of comes out of nowhere and becomes this huge thing. It was also a rather different type of role for you. How did that part come about, and what kind of experiences did you have working on that series?

JOHN: They didn't originally shoot a whole pilot, they shot like a 25-minute pilot presentation. I was in Utah with, now listen to this cast - Lee Majors, David Carradine, Kathy Lee Crosby, and Michelle Green doing this movie called LOST TREASURE OF DOS SANTOS. I didn't audition for the part originally, they cast someone else for the presentation. After it got picked up they decided they wanted to go a different way with the dad. I know that they had the infidelity storyline, but they wanted to go a different way so that it wouldn't be as convenient, and so there would be a different way for Dawson to play. It was kind of the 11th hour. So I got the call back in the summer, and they said we want you to see this tape. And I watched it, and you just knew as soon as you saw that pilot presentation, the sensibility about it. The way the kids talked, and the kids that they cast. I don't think there were many young actors that could handle the dialogue that Kevin Williamson was writing. I remember he was talking to Glenn Close about possibly playing the lead in KILLING MRS. TINGLE before it was TEACHING MRS. TINGLE, since they changed that title after Columbine. And she said "Well kids don't talk that way" and Kevin said "No, but they would like to." I think he was really on to something. You've got these really intelligent kids seeing things in different ways, and subjects that I know I dealt with when I was in my teens. It's not so odd. I think maybe it was one of the first times when the network wasn't writing down to its young audience, it was writing up to its young audience. And I told my manager "This is really special." We re-shot the dad scenes from the pilot presentation which became part of the aired pilot. I had a good time with it. People would say "Well how do you feel about playing a dad?" and they'd say "are you really old enough to be Dawson's father?" Not only am I old enough to be Dawson's father, I'm old enough to be James' father, as James is older than Dawson. I didn't really have a problem with it. Plus the way Kevin wrote the character, both the mom and the dad, I loved his role reversal. In the beginning it was the mom and the dad that were getting into all the trouble. That's what I liked about. Yet the dad would come through with I think some pretty good lateral advice. Kevin did not want any sort of 7th HEAVEN-ish father... Mitch explains it all to son. And we got into some of that after Kevin left the show. But I enjoyed the whole relationship between Gail and Mitch, the fact that, at least when Kevin was writing it, we had independent storylines. You will have independent storylines which will be subservient to the kids, but which will reflect what the kids are going through. They will complement each other but each will be their own, for instance the infidelity storyline. And they reflect the Joey/Pacey/Dawson triangle. People from different age brackets dealing with issues from a different life perspective, and I found that fascinating. Plus it was fun. I'm from the East Coast, and I love being in North Carolina. I loved doing a series where it wasn't on my shoulders, where I had time to go off and do other things. It was great to watch that young cast, and it was great to work with young actors. I mean James had worked with Edward freakin' Albee who wrote WHO'S AFRAID OF VIRGINIA WOOLF? They were great actors, but they weren't Hollywood-ized. I think also because we were shooting in North Carolina, they were insulated even from their own celebrity to a certain extent. You had this really smart, really sincere, talented cast being protected from their own egos. I mean one day nobody knew who they were, and next day they were on the cover of every magazine. I remember Katie being so innocent. We'd come out of our trailers, and she'd run and jump into my arms. It was a really great experience.

MARK: So your character on that show, Mitch Leery, got into a car accident and died. I know that bothered a lot of fans too. What brought on that decision? Did you want to leave the show or was it something else?

JOHN: There were a couple things going on. It was really secretive, and ended up being the best thing for me. The show really needed a major plot point. The writing was on the wall. Kevin left after season two. I think in the fourth season I did 19 episodes, but the parents were slowly devolving into the thing I had been promised would not happen, and then at the end of the fourth season they were graduating from high school and going to college. I saw the writing on the wall. They let Mary Beth Peil's contract lapse, they let my contract lapse, they let Mary-Margaret Humes contact lapse, and they wanted to renegotiate for fewer episodes. So I said okay, I'm already unhappy. I feel like I'm getting paid a lot of money not to work. So when they said we want you to come back six or eight episodes, I put my episode fee really high. I mean if the kids left the creek, what would the parents be doing? Showing up at parent's day standing and waving in the background? And I thought if I'm going to do that they're going to pay me a lot of money! Otherwise I'm going to be in L.A. looking for other work. So that happened and they were negotiating. They were already shooting the first episode and were having to deal with me. So halfway through shooting that episode, the WB shut the show down because they had no plot point. They had no major motivating event, they had nothing on which to build the rest of the season. At that point their creative team got together, and Paul Stupin called me in L.A. to have coffee with him, and he said "I know what you've been struggling with, and we've been struggling too." See the people who took over the show envisioned it as a kid Soap Opera. So he said "We're in this situation, we don't know what to do with the character of Dawson. If we gave you the money you're asking, but instead of for six episodes, would you agree to come back and kill the character?" And it took my breath away. But he said "I promise you two great scripts." In the first script there will be a misunderstanding with Dawson. I will have resolved the misunderstanding. He will not. You will be killed before he has the chance to resolve the misunderstanding. The second episode will be ala SIX FEET UNDER kind of, where you get to come back leading up to your funeral, and have final scenes with each of the major characters that you've worked with. I was thinking to myself, okay, I've been promised great scripts before, but if they're going to give me all that money to come back then I'll do it. But you know what, they delivered. They were the best scripts I'd ever had, and it made me feel like the previous four years had been about something. I got to tie up and have my final moments with Joey, with Pacey, with Dawson, with Gail, and they were such beautiful episodes, and so beautifully directed. And this I've seen happen a lot. There's a series and some people you are about to lose, or there's a guest star the writers are really excited about. Because they've been writing for the other characters for four years and now they can focus on something else. I think it was so great for the show. I mean you'd have to say Mitch was well-endowed dramatically in those last two episodes. A lot of the audience, based on the amount of attention Mitch was given, were very upset by Mitch's death. But it gave me terrific stuff to play. I was told later on that people believed that Mitch's death was where the show "jumped the shark." But it was beautiful. It was great motivation for Dawson too, since he could deal with unresolved feelings about the misunderstanding with his father, and his father's death, going into therapy about his career and his life. I got two great episodes, I got the money that I wanted, they got their major motivating shocking event, and it was a win/win for everybody.

He looks good still.

Source: BigFanBoy.com

Last edited by Brighter Than Sunshine; 07-05-2006 at 01:13 AM
Fan Forum  |  Contact Us  |  Fan Forum on Twitter  |  Fan Forum on Facebook  |  Archive  |  Top