Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Closed Thread   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Thread Tools
Old 01-20-2004, 02:22 PM
Master Fan

Friendship.

Over the years Dawson's Creek has always claimed to thrive on the premise of friendship. First, friendship among a core four, which soon expanded to include another two, Andie and Jack. After a while though, it became very clear that the focus of Dawson's Creek shifted from friendship to romantic relationships, as do most long running drama's, since, lets face it, the relationships are the big draw.

But if you looked close you could still distinguish those good, close friendships, even in later season like 5 and 6 when the original connections certain characters had seemed obliterated.

So the purpose of this thread is to sort of time line some of the friendships on Dawsons Creek. I know in general the friendship of Dawson and Joey was always toted as the "main" friendship, and it certainly started out as such. In season 1 Dawson and Joey were definitely the closest to the definition of friends as any pair but did it stay that way? What friendships developed as Dawson's Creek moved on? What friendships grew stronger? Which grew weaker? Did any of them end up the way we thought they would?

Im just going to take a few and analyze, you can post however you'd like.

Dawson and Joey- Although I was never a fan of their romance I think that their friendship was what held them together for 6 seasons. They may have had fallouts and extended periods where they didnt look much like friends but they did always seem to gravitate back towards each other. To some, this was a sign of soulmates or being meant to be together, to me, this is a clear sign of their friendship shining through. Without a doubt some of Dawson and Joey's best scenes revolved around friendship. Self Reliance comes to mind when Dawson gives Joey her Christmas gift. In season 1 their friendship seemed very comfortable and stable but this was when neither of them were really aware of what was going on with the other, especially in Dawson's case. But as they became more self aware it seemed that their friendship dwindled. The sad thing about this pair is that come the end of the series, they'd lost contact for 5 years. Going on season 1 I dont think anyone wouldve seen that coming for those two, but it does lend some realism to the story because not everyone stays in contact. Overall, I wouldnt say Dawson and Joey had the best friendship on DC, not even close, but they do have one that cant be denied and that helped them to forgive each other even through the most trying of circumstances. Without friendship, Dawson and Joey were nothing.

Jack and Jen- Well what can you say about these two? Perhaps one of the best examples of true friendship on Dawsons Creek. After all, they probably exemplify a normal friendship the best. Someone you can talk about anything to, just hang around with, someone who knows how you take your coffee, someone you can fall right back into pattern with sans awkwardness even when you move to different states. Someone you'd be comfortable leaving your child with. I dont think there were too many instances where Jack and Jen had some amazing examples of pure friendship that one could marvel at and point to as evidence but thats just the thing, most friends dont. Most friends are just...friends, nothing special, but its something that grows into something special all on its own and for Jack and Jen it grew into legitimate soulmates. Even when they sort of fell out in season 5 that bond was still there.

Pacey and Dawson- Such a sad story. Although I am one of those people who, in hindsight, never really believed Dawson and Pacey had a strong friendship to begin with, they did have one. There were times in season 1 where, on the surface, the two were friends, guy pals, but when you dug deeper I think there was a level of distrust between the two. A lot of petty things went down between the two before season 3, physical and emotional abuse to an extent but when season 3 hit everything hit the fan and the friendship was gone, never to return. This is probably one of the biggest casualties of Dawson's Creek and I dont think it has as much to do with Joey as some may think. I think it was a ticking time bomb.

Joey and Pacey- A pair once considered enemies without a doubt came to have one of the closest and most intuitive friendships on the show. This is the type of friendship that becomes unconditional. You hang out with someone, and even though your rapport is one of banter and antagonization you do eventually realize that you care about that person, as evidenced by the time Joey sat down with Pacey and had a serious converstion over Tamara in season 1. Then came season 3 when their friendship that was always there really manifested itself, I believe, because they actually started hanging out more. That's when the trust came in, when they began to rely on each other and when those genuine feelings eventually turned into love. Things such as Pacey showing his prized possession to be (a boat) to Joey, Joey taking Pacey to her dance lessons, Pacey being the one to help Joey repaint her mural, all things that show true friendship. And the funny thing is, you never really heard JOey and Pacey talking about that friendship or how it grew, it just was.
But one of the most interesting things, I feel, about Joey and Paceys friendship is something that can only be said about a handful of people on DC. It survived a relationship. Joey and Pacey were able to fall back into a companionship even aftetr their 1 year relationship and the funny thing about it is that it was more of a fluke. If the writers in season 5 would've paid more attention to Pacey and Joey they probably would've messed up that friendship too but since they decided to let them fall to the wayside their scenes consisted of non-dramatic friendship, exactly what they needed. They were back at a point where they could trust each other, complain to each other, give each other advice and just be there, the best kind of friendship.

Some friendships that shouldve been expanded-

Joey and Jack- Scenes like their in Anti-Prom out on the boat deck and A Winters Tale show how much potential they had. They have been there for each other in the past, and had the potential to be a lot more. Or hey, a simple scene with each other every few episode wouldve been nice!

Dawson and Jen- I know they had a friendship, I do, but I feel like it was manipulated. Jen was sent in to be the beautiful NY distraction for Dawson and I feel like beyond that she never really had a direction when it came to Dawson except to be stuck in between Dawson and Joey again in season 5. I do acknowledge their scenes together but I think one of the last scenes in the finale sums it up well, after Jen died Dawson visualizes her walking towards him as in the pilot and I think he was visualizing 'possibility', all that couldve been with him and Jen, friendship and otherwise.

Joey and Jen- More girlfriends please! Enough said.

Pacey and Jack- In later seasons, they were great together, wish we couldve seen more of that.

OK now that Ive rambled on, your turn.
Old 01-20-2004, 03:31 PM
Extreme Fan

I really liked the Dawson/Pacey friendship and missed it after season 3. Things were just never the same after 'The Longest Day''. I could really tell in that scene were Pacey goes to tell Dawson he's sorry about what happened that he really missed there friendship and I think deep down Dawson did as well. I loved that phone call in Coda when Dawson tells Pacey he's proud of him. I hated how in season 6 right when it looks like there becoming friends again boom. I liked there scene in the Series Finale were they talk after everyone leaves and I am glad it was not cut.
Old 01-20-2004, 03:56 PM
Master Fan

Quote:
OK now that Ive rambled on, your turn.
Kinda hard to tell anything else since you've pretty much said all I could possibly think on that subject [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]

I'll just add two friendships which should have been developped more:

Pacey-Will-I know,Will was only there for a short period,but I really liked his friendship with Pacey.THAT one seemed really true and based on real facts,not just ideas of "friendship".

Dawson-Audrey-There was a great potential in the ep where Dawson visited her in rehab.Even the first time he came on the Worthington Campus,visiting Joey.Audrey was able to make him live it up and stop taking everything&everyone(especially himself) too seriously.

[ 01-20-2004: Message edited SpySyd ]
Old 01-20-2004, 06:30 PM
Part-Time Fan

If Andie had stayed on the show I think her and Pacey had the potential of having a really close friendship. I miss their bantering and teasing and them being there for each other.

I also wanted them to explore more of Andie's relationship with her brother Jack. At the begginning they had a special relationship but they started to drift apart, in part of Jack's relationship with Jen, but again I understand that Andie left after season 4 but I also think her and Dawson could have also had a special friendship.

I miss Pacey/Dawson's friendship. After season 3 their friendship never was the same.
"You and I are forever." "I love you because you are completely unaware of your effect on me." "Nate was my destiny after all." "I love you Nate Archibald. Always have, always will." "Don't think this means I've been calling out your name in my sleep." "It's not like I have been writing Mrs.Nate Humphrey in my notebook"
Old 01-20-2004, 07:08 PM
YBB
Part-Time Fan

very interesting topic. um...im not gonna elaborate on the friendships between the main characters b/c i think you pretty much said how i feel about the friendships on this show sugz. however im curious as to why you felt dawson and pacey's friendship was never really that strong to begin with? i always thought they argued about petty things but were there for eachother when it counted. however, looking at your opinions above reminded me of an episode in season 1 the breakfast club. where they are all stuck in detension together. all throughout that episode i thought there was some jealousy in their friendship, but just chalked to me overanalyzing the characters.

the characters i wish were more developed were jen and dawson. although they obviously had their moments, i don't think they expressed the importance of eachother in their lives the way they should have.

jack and pacey. they were hilarious together, especially their scenes in season 6.

of course joey and jen post season 2 that is.

pacey and doug. this is one relationship i wish the writers had developed more. you see them grow closer toward the end of the series, but i wish that their relationship had developed more in the earlier seasons.

i would have like to have seen a friendship between andy and joey also. its so unfortunate meredith had to leave or be let go from the show. i loved her character for the most part.
Old 01-21-2004, 08:52 AM
Master Fan

Quote:
Originally posted by YBB:
<STRONG> however im curious as to why you felt dawson and pacey's friendship was never really that strong to begin with? i always thought they argued about petty things but were there for eachother when it counted. however, looking at your opinions above reminded me of an episode in season 1 the breakfast club. where they are all stuck in detension together. all throughout that episode i thought there was some jealousy in their friendship, but just chalked to me overanalyzing the characters.

</STRONG>
Well thats the thing, what I saw was the other way around. It was the important things that they faltered on. The every day, guy pal stuff they were just fine at, it was when the important things rolled around where their faulty friendship shined through to me. Forgetting birthdays, accusing your so-called "best friend" of stealing, punching him over it and being wrong about it in the first place, taking your own insecurities out on him to make yourself feel better, when the going got tought for Pacey and Dawson many times their true colors shined through and it wasnt pretty. True, many times they apologized and made up, but the point still stands that they were on hin ice from the beginning because if their friendship was so strong to begin with it wouldnt ave crumbled and never been reconciled come season 3 and beyond.
Old 01-21-2004, 09:44 AM
Dedicated Fan

Aside from the Dawson and Joey friendship....I always adored the Pacey/Dawson storyline. Especially in Season 4 when it was on such thin-ice. I was always rooting for them to make up. And one of my favorite scenes from Season 5 was Pacey's heart-felt speech to Dawson when his dad died. It seemed like the writers were attempting to reconcile those two in Season 5, but it never really developed.

I also would have loved to have seen more of Joey and Jen becoming close friends. Again, in Season 5 I think the writers tried...but it never really got to go anywhere after Jen and Dawson hooked up...and Season 6 was a total wash(in more ways than 1). Both of them needed a friend that "didnt have a penis".(Had to steal that line from Meredith from Season 3)
Old 01-21-2004, 09:45 AM
Extreme Fan

euh the important things like D saving P's ass when he faces suspension. And forgetting someone's bday is not the end of the world taking into account that D and J just started dating and wanted time alone. And where are all these beautiful signs of P's friendship for Dawson???? When his parents were divorcing, where was Pacey? P did a wonderful job when Mitch died but aside from that when it was really necessary I don't think P was that great friend either, it works both ways.
Old 01-21-2004, 09:54 AM
Master Fan

Joske, my point wasnt that Pacey was a good friend to Dawson but Dawson was a crap friend to Pacey, my point was that they didnt have such a great friendship at all! Dont be so quick to jump to Dawsons defense when nobodys even blaming him. Im saying they were both to blame.

Secondly, Dawson did not save Paceys ass from suspension, way to reach there buddy. Pacey did it by studying and doing the work, with help from Joey. Sure Joey found out from Dawson but that does no equate to Dawson saving Pacey. Pfffft.

Secondly, no, forgetting your friends birthday because you started a new relationship, it's not cool under any circumstances. Dawson was always very self absorbed especially in early seasons and it bit him inthe ass in that instance.

Pacey was also very antagonizing towards Dawson at times. I just didnt see a strong friendship there at all.
Old 01-21-2004, 10:16 AM
Fan Forum Star

Dawson/Joey: Their friendship has always been the "main " focus around their show. and though they have been through so much as a couple, they always were their for each other as friends. But i also wished that it was much stronger, because in later seasons you can see that some of their friendship has been strained to the point where they dont really have the same connection as they did in season 1. and i wish the writers could of went back to that. i am not saying have them be 15 again. im just saying that after what they been through, their friendship really wasnt the same.

Dawson/ pacey This was the main friendship i would of like see saving. Dawson and pacey friendship, i can honestly say wasnt the best one. Because even though they did the guy things together, you can obviously see that they werent even best friends. They were good friends, but from the evidence shown through out the series, they were never best friends. Because there was times, where they both show that they were completely oposite of each other. Pacey is the goofball, wants to stir up pranks or what not. and coming from a family who tells him he isnt good enough and making him the blacksheep of the family.. as where as dawson, who gets self asprbed into what he is doing, doesnt really see pacey's diffulcty at times.

Now i am not bad mouthing dawson, because pacey had his faults. But i think the writers over estimated their friendship, to me, dawson and pacey had to many differences to really get each other. Dawson sometimes gets self absored to even think about how pacey is hurting due to his family, or pacey gets so into his own thing. so to call these two best friends, its higly not possible, sure they can be there for each other and support each other, but from the evidence has shown, neither has illustrated what a best friend should be. pacey has proven to dawson many times that fact, but i dont think dawson ever realized that, and at that point i really believe that dawson took pacey friendship for granted alot of the times.

Jack and jen Their friendship was so natural, and i loved how it progressed over time. They were there to support each other, because they werent caught up in the triangle and seeing that they were the prime examples of people who tear away dawson and joey begining season 1 and 2. Both of them were kinda blacksheeps and just helped each other through that. and i guess that is why i love their friendship so much...
Old 01-21-2004, 10:27 AM
Elite Fan

I must admit to really liking the Pacey/Jack friendship as well as the Jack/Dawson friendship in early Season Four. I always hated how Jack never expanded beyond Jen and Andie within the group. I also shipped Pacey/Jack so that might have helped. Those two were so cute and funny together.

I also liked the later bonding between Joey and Jen and wish Seasons Five and Six would have shown more since they appartently were very close in Season Four.

I thought Jen and Audrey were a good match but they had to wedge CJ in between them and keep Audrey for Joey.

[img]smilies/love.gif[/img]Nikki [img]smilies/sun.gif[/img]
Old 01-21-2004, 11:09 AM
Extreme Fan

I think everyone should keep in mind we did not get to see the first 15 years of Dawson and Paceys friendship.
Old 01-21-2004, 11:11 AM
YBB
Part-Time Fan

i wonder if part of the reason that pacey/dawsons friendship never evolved and became stronger is b/c of josh's relationship with james. when i look at publicity photoshoots for the show the actors seemed much more close and personable in seasons 1 and 2. then in later seasons you don't even really see p/d interact much anymore. just an observation. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]
Old 01-21-2004, 11:13 AM
Master Fan

Quote:
Originally posted by COOLCAT200:
<STRONG>I think everyone should keep in mind we did not get to see the first 15 years of Dawson and Paceys friendship.</STRONG>
So what does that mean? If we didnt see it we cant really assume anything about it except for what we're told andt hats just not good enough for me. We can really only go by what we saw.
Old 01-21-2004, 11:23 AM
Extreme Fan

All I am saying is there may have been some good moments in those first 15 years and that there is a reason they were best buds. Thats all. But no we did not see any of it so who knows.

[ 01-21-2004: Message edited COOLCAT200 ]
Closed Thread   Post New Thread