Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Reply   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Thread Tools
Old 07-01-2006, 03:33 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Episode Discussion #613 - "Rock Bottom"

Episode #613 - "Rock Bottom"

While directing reshoots on his film, Dawson (James Van Der Beek) finds his authority questioned when Natasha (Bianca Kajlich) refuses to do a nude scene. Unable to say good-bye to Eddie (Oliver Hudson), who is moving to California, Joey (Katie Holmes) convinces him that Audrey (Busy Philipps) should be in rehab in Los Angeles, and the three of them should drive there together into a rehab facility. Jen (Michele Williams) and C.J. (Jensen Ackles) set Grams (Mary Beth Peil) up with C.J.'s Uncle Bill (guest star Geoffrey Lewis), who turns out to be quite randy.

Robbie McNeil directed the episode written by Tom Kapinos.
Old 07-01-2006, 08:40 PM
Extreme Fan

One of the worst episodes of the series. But it did have one good thing........Eddie left! Sadly he does not stay gone but it was good to get a break and the eps get better after this in season 6 thank God.
Old 07-05-2006, 11:04 PM
Elite Fan

The episode wasn't horrible.

I liked the Dawson plot. The whole taking charge, and firing that guy to prove a point. It just seemed like so much development with Dawson's film career had paid off. And then having Natasha exit, it all seemed like part of a closure (for the fans) of Dawson and his future.

Jen's sideplot with setting up her Grams with CJ's uncle ... well, that was just odd.

The whole thing with Bob was hilarious. But, the whole Joey/Eddie making out in the final frame. Seriously?! Was that necessary?

kenny | credit
smoothaise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2006, 08:59 PM
Administrator

I think that this episode was one of the worst episodes ever of Dawson's Creek. Here's what I wrote about it at the time:

Words can’t adequately describe just how horrible this episode was, and what a piece of crap this show has turned out to be. This had to be one of the worst episodes of a television show that I’ve ever seen, and this will be one of the briefest episode commentaries that I’ve ever written, because I can’t bring myself to write any kind of rational analysis of this God-awful tripe. This show continues to insult our intelligence more and more with every new episode, and the only enjoyment I got tonight was the confirmation that this is the last season. “Rock Bottom” was the perfect name for this episode, and it also served as a metaphor for Dawson’s Creek itself, because this show has certainly hit rock bottom. You know, I used to watch this show with my wife, and then I’d watch my tape of the show and take notes so I could write a detailed episode commentary, but this show is so bad now that my wife doesn’t watch it anymore, and I just spit out my episode commentaries from memory, because there’s no way in hell that I’d ever want to watch any of these episodes again.

The scenes involving Audrey and “Bob” on their road trip with Joey and Eddie were incredibly crass, tacky, and tasteless, and I shake my head in disbelief as to how far this show continues to sink. Crude jokes about sex and flatulence, the introduction of a throwaway character who had to be the worst actor in the world, Audrey and Bob stealing Eddie’s car, Audrey telling off Joey for the umpteenth time, Audrey apologizing to Joey and telling her what a wonderful friend she is, have I left anything out? Oh yeah, Eddie is now “one of the great loves of Joey’s life,” and he promised to meet up with her in Paris in a year, and they shared a kiss that seemed to go on forever! How many more ways can the cynical bastards that are in charge of this horrible show kick the fans of Dawson and Joey in the teeth? It also insults me concerning the way that these hacks bastardized some of the expressions and situations that mean a lot to both Dawson and Joey fans and Pacey and Joey fans to make Eddie and Joey the latest “IT” couple of Dawson’s Creek. I think it’s really ironic that over at the Spoilers Board, everyone is still fighting over who Joey should be with, yet the no-talent son of Goldie Hawn and brother of Kate Hudson is getting a lot more screen time with the true star of Dawson’s Creek than Dawson and Pacey have gotten with her for years now. I’d also like to know how anyone would want Joey with either Dawson or Pacey considering how easily she fell in love with some jerk who did little more than insult her, and who then walked out on her without saying a word. Dawson makes a mistake, and she doesn’t have anything to do with him for months, but she can travel across the country with Eddie and tell him she loves him after what he did to her? God, I hate Joey.

I enjoyed seeing Grams again, but I thought that C.J.’s uncle was a complete jerk, and I thought their story was a waste of time. Now C.J. realizes what an amazing person Jen is. Oh Joy. This realization comes too little, too late for me, so I have no interest in rooting for the “newest couple on the creek.” Besides, the only thing that got my attention in all their scenes was how horrible Jen’s new hairstyle is. Michelle, what were you thinking?

Oh gee. Dawson’s story was so predictable, err, I mean “inspiring,” as he initially let Natasha and a recalcitrant crew walk all over him, but then, inspired by a “pep talk” from Natasha telling him about the “cold hard facts of Hollywood,” he kicked ass and took names, and he even got to jump Natasha’s bones one more time! What a great story! Not.

God, this show sucks. Thank God this is the last season, and I won’t have to watch and write about this piece of crap anymore. See you next week, folks.

There are those who look at things the way they are and ask why - I dream of things that never were and ask why not. - Robert F. Kennedy
Jerry D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2006, 09:18 PM
Extreme Fan

lol right on Jerry! I have missed reading these old reviews.
Old 07-08-2006, 09:42 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by COOLCAT200
lol right on Jerry! I have missed reading these old reviews.
Thanks Eric! I had stopped posting my old commentaries because no one seems to respond to these episode discussion threads anymore, but this episode was so bad that I had to say something about it.

There are those who look at things the way they are and ask why - I dream of things that never were and ask why not. - Robert F. Kennedy
Jerry D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2006, 09:53 PM
Extreme Fan

Yeah it was bad. Things do get better in the next few episodes thank God because season 6 for me at this point was right down the tubes.
Old 07-09-2006, 01:42 AM
Fan Forum Hero

I can't even remember this ep at all most of season 6 is blocked
I'm waiting for my season dvd set

Great post Jerry
Reply   Post New Thread