Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Reply   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Thread Tools
Old 10-01-2005, 08:09 AM
Administrator

Episode Discussion #502 - "The Lost Weekend"

Worried that she's overextended herself, Joey decides to drop her English class in spite of her teacher, David Wilder, who believes he sees her potential. Joey is annoyed when the very long Drop/Add line gets in the way of her spending the day with Dawson, but Audrey steps up to help and keeps Dawson occupied by taking him on a somewhat unconventional campus tour. Meanwhile, sparks fly when Jen "accidentally" runs into Charlie at the radio station, while Doug pushes Pacey to apply for a job at a local restaurant where he shares a few sparks of his own with an attractive waitress, Karen. Dawson's just about ready to go back to L.A. when he checks his machine and hears Joey's message.

There are those who look at things the way they are and ask why - I dream of things that never were and ask why not. - Robert F. Kennedy
Jerry D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2005, 08:14 AM
Administrator

Hi everyone! Here's what I wrote about this episode at the time that it aired:

I really enjoyed this episode, and I thought it was well written and enjoyable to watch, although, as always, we saw Dawson and Joey do what they’ve always done, namely talk, argue, and make up, but in the end, they reached the same stalemate in their eternally unresolved relationship that we’ve seen them in since the beginning of Season Three. Still though, beyond that, I found this episode to be entertaining, and that’s really all I can expect anymore from this television show.

I could understand Dawson’s hurt feelings upon hearing Joey’s message on his answering machine, and it was clear to me in the opening scene that it was Joey, and not Dawson, who felt that things were unresolved between them, but as always, when Dawson tried to bring whatever issues they had between them out in the open, Joey followed her usual pattern of initially acting defensive and harsh, and she refused to talk about those issues, just like she initially did with Pacey in “Self-Reliance.” I found it irksome that Joey was jealous that Audrey and Dawson were flirting, and I thought that she summarized their relationship perfectly when she said that their weekend would be ruined by a lot of talk that ultimately meant nothing, because practically every conversation that Dawson and Joey have had in recent years has fit that description, and their conversation in the airport was no exception, because although their conversation was moving and sweet, nothing was resolved between them, and I was disappointed that Dawson chose to give up going to USC and moving on with his life at least in part because of his feelings for Joey.

I thought that all the scenes involving Joey and Professor Wilder strained credibility, because it seemed outlandish that a professor would go to such extreme lengths to keep a freshman student in his class that had only written one essay, and I never heard of a professor having to sign a permission slip to allow a student to drop out of their class. I also can’t see that a professor would lavish so much attention on one student and impart so much personal advice to that student, even if the student looked like Katie Holmes! Then again, we all have to remember that Joey is plagued by the “Mary Curse,” because “There’s Something About Joey” that no mere mortal can resist, even married teachers who just the week before had hordes of adoring girls chasing him, but who now had hours to devote to spend time alone with a student who wanted to drop out of his class!

As always, I loved seeing the teasing banter between Jack and Jen, and the affectionate and sweet way that they relate to one another. I also enjoyed Jen and Charlie’s banter at the radio station, and Jen was an absolute delight as she “traded shots” with Charlie on the air. I simply love Jen, and she’s by far my favorite character on the show. I didn’t like the fact that her and Charlie immediately started having sex, though, and I hope that she doesn’t get hurt.

I was glad to see Pacey get more screen time, and I was glad to actually see him smiling! I didn’t like Melanie’s somewhat condescending attitude towards him, though, especially when she called him her “cute slacker boyfriend,” but I guess for now, they’re both getting what they want from their relationship. I was also glad to see Pacey and Doug together, and I was happy to see Doug show concern for his brother’s welfare. I also liked the conversation that Karen and Pacey had, and I’m looking forward to seeing them interact more in the future. I also liked seeing Pacey’s resurgent self-confidence, as he talked himself into getting a better job than his boss originally wanted to give him, and he displayed the famous “Witter wit” that so many of have always enjoyed watching.

I think that Audrey is a hoot, and she combines pure fun and flirtiness with an underlying kindness and concern for people, and it was touching to see her serve as the catalyst to compel Joey to go see Dawson at the airport before he left. I liked seeing Audrey and Dawson have fun together, and I enjoyed seeing how she could get to the heart of the matter of how Dawson really felt about his USC sojourn, and I think she has the ability to help people sort out how they really feel about whatever issues are on their minds. Audrey has proved to be a welcome addition to Dawson’s Creek, and in many ways, she’s like a breath of fresh air on that show.

Overall, I found this episode to be a major improvement over the season premiere, and I’m looking forward to the next show.

There are those who look at things the way they are and ask why - I dream of things that never were and ask why not. - Robert F. Kennedy
Jerry D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2005, 09:16 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Thanks for the new Discussion thread Jerry.

The Joey and Professor Wilder scenes were...not my favorite, it bored me to bits
I love how Audrey tried to get Dawson to make out, she's so funny
She sort of reminds me of Andie but in another way.
She was a fun girl, a girl who you would like to be Friends with
I could too, understand Dawson being hurt by Joey's message, yeah sure she was drunk but still
I was glad that Pacey was pushed into this job that Doug got for him
I hated how he was hiding away from his friends and Joey, the only person knew where he was, was Jen
I didn't like Karen much too.
Old 10-03-2005, 08:22 PM
Elite Fan

I agree with Jerry ... this was a fun episode.
smoothaise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2005, 03:07 PM
Elite Fan

I haven't seen it in while but I do remember that I didn't like the Professor Wilder storyline - the 'realism' of it and where it was headed but I really enjoyed Audrey's interaction with Dawson. She was a lot of fun in this episode.
Old 10-06-2005, 02:56 AM
Fan Forum Hero

To tell the truth, I've never liked Professor Wilder in the seasons, the scenes were boring to me.
Old 10-06-2005, 04:41 AM
Elite Fan

Yes, I can't say that I was a Wilder fan. A lot of that I think was simply due to the fact he was simply another guy to fall for Miss Potter
Old 10-06-2005, 06:56 AM
New Fan

I'm certainly not an S5 fan, but I will admit to liking this episode for 3 reasons:
1) PACEY as a cute slacker boyfriend - I want one!
2) AUDREY is a hoot and I thought she was a great addition to the show (well not S6 but here!)
3) DOUG was not forgotten in the shift to university creek. I love that he got Pacey into being a chef!

That's my two cents - from what I can remember of the episode - now I'll have to dig out my S5 DVDs and rewatch it!
Allison
i8jaffas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2005, 09:25 PM
Elite Fan

Yes, I was glad to see Doug again in season 5 too. That was one of my big fears of the season; that the older characters wouldn't be really seen again with the move to college.
Old 10-06-2005, 10:42 PM
Fan Forum Hero

That's why the actor who played Dawson's dad wanted out

It's ashame, don't you think.
Old 10-07-2005, 12:14 AM
Elite Fan

Oh I didn't know that's why JWS left. It is a shame. I'm glad that they moved Grams to Boston.
Old 10-07-2005, 10:55 AM
Elite Fan

I didn't know that Kelly... I loved Mitch!

Oh Deb, so glad Grams followed Jack and Jen on their college lives!

It was a good episode... Audrey was so funny and her interaction with Dawson was great!
Oh and the song played on the last scene is so beautiful (the TV version!)...

Cris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2005, 08:06 PM
Fan Forum Hero

That's what I heard
Old 09-14-2017, 09:33 PM
Fan Forum Star

I thought this episode was better than last week but it still was a bit bland. I just feel like not a lot is going on in these episodes and hope the season pick up later on. Maybe I want more group interaction or something.

I really like Audrey. She's a breath of fresh air and I agree that she sort of gives off an Andie vibe. I like how she lightens up the show. I enjoyed her scenes with Dawson.

I agree that its a bit unrealistic for a teacher to care so much about a student but I do think that Joey and Mr. Wilder had a nice connection last episode so I can understand why he doesnt want her to drop his class I guess? IDK.

I really enjoyed getting more of Pacey this week but I do hope he figures out what hes doing soon. It was nice to see Jennifer Morrison and I think her and Pacey had some nice chemistry. Nothing outstanding but it was okay.

Dawson and Joey's endless circle of angst is so irritating. I'm frustrated that the writers are doing this to them STILL years later, even when they are in college. Its annoying because in reality you know they would just want to be together. Anyways, I did enjoy their interactions but it didnt really make sense to me why Joey was brushing off Dawson the whole episode. Like, he heard the voicemail, but now is your chance to tell how you really feel! Come on. It was frustrating watching it go down. I did enjoy their little airport scene but i was slightly confused as to where that left them?
Alexa is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2017, 05:54 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Yeah dj always got bad writing. But I still liked them a lot in college. But it always comes back to them.